Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Nessus posted:

Bobby is probably an old-blood WASP. That was his Super Sauce.

Nah he's from a blue collar Long Island family, Irish-Catholic dad, Jewish mom. They came up a surprising amount in the 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

How Wonderful! posted:

Nah he's from a blue collar Long Island family, Irish-Catholic dad, Jewish mom. They came up a surprising amount in the 90s.

Whatever happened to Bobby's yakuza princess girlfriend I wonder?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Dawgstar posted:

Whatever happened to Bobby's yakuza princess girlfriend I wonder?

Still away from the family business. Had a baby with some European guy who supposedly looked like Bobby, and she named her son Robert.

It was not a very good story, which is surprising considering the authors usually come up with good stuff.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jun 17, 2021

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

How Wonderful! posted:

I can tell you it's not exactly rare in the NYC metro area, at least. Neat!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

bobby drake is not an omega level mutant please stop saying he is

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Nessus posted:

I can tell you it's not exactly rare in the NYC metro area, at least. Neat!

Yeah, it's somewhat similar to my background (not NYC metro) so I always liked it.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Alaois posted:

sure he is

it's right there on the chart, dude

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alaois posted:

Um, excuse me he got a belt to stop him from freezing the world. :colbert:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'd like to see more Omega if they weren't a dumbass type mutants like Bobby.

Jubilee (Jubilation Lee)*

* When she realizes her power is effectively splitting atoms.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Aphrodite posted:

I'd like to see more Omega if they weren't a dumbass type mutants like Bobby.

Jubilee (Jubilation Lee)*

* When she realizes her power is effectively splitting atoms.

Honestly a little surprised her and Synch weren't on Hickman's Omega list. Back in Gen X they were referred to as "eventually becoming two of the powerful mutants ever" and now Synch can mimic robots.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gologle posted:

Yeah but Wolverine is the best there is at what he does, and what he does isn't very nice!

With Laura around I don't think that's true anymore. Doubly so if what happened to Gabby isn't permanent.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Skwirl posted:

Back in Gen X they were referred to as "eventually becoming two of the powerful mutants ever"

There's no lazier way for a writer to give a character heat than imply that at some undetermined point in the future, they get super important/powerful.

*Thinks back to the BKV Runaways where a flashforward to the future shows them in the Avengers in 10 years, amongst other examples of this*

ETA: This should not be as me stating that run is bad and/or BKV is lazy. But the trope in comics is pretty pointless given the unchanging (long-term) characters.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Honestly a little surprised her and Synch weren't on Hickman's Omega list. Back in Gen X they were referred to as "eventually becoming two of the powerful mutants ever" and now Synch can mimic robots.

synch isn't even the strongest proximity-based power duplicator. hope can do that effortlessly, as well as a bunch of other poorly-defined stuff too.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

synch isn't even the strongest proximity-based power duplicator. hope can do that effortlessly, as well as a bunch of other poorly-defined stuff too.

I really noticed during Planet-Size how much they use Hope to do basically everything, and yet she almost never appears on camera outside of being a plot device. Barely has any lines, doesn't get any laffs. I loved her as "a girl raised by Cable who's been fleeing from a murderer her entire life so she's better than you at everything but isn't usually obnoxious about it" and it's weird that she's practically the pin holding together the entire Krakoan system and yet is hardly a character anymore.

Also I too am totally bouncing off X-Corp until they figure out how to make running a business something actually worth reading about in a comic book. I did laugh out loud at the line "Nazi mutants (gently caress) off" though.
edit: Wait, they already figured out how to make a mutant business interesting. It's called Marauders. Why do we need X-Corp, again?

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
Hope gets a bit more screentime in SWORD (It's nice, I like the 5), but I'm not sure that'll continue once it starts getting more and more spacey.

BTW, I'm not stepping foot inside SWORD Station 2. Anything that comes out of that man is unholy. I bet if you die in it you get Rockslided.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I did kind of raise an eyebrow at everybody being like "wow, what a WEIRD idea! We've done some crazy stuff before not like this THIS!" and then the plan turned out to functionally be "make another space station like the one we already have." I guess it's kind of weird that it just popped out of Jamie Braddock's womb and impressive that he could do it at all but that seemed like an unintended consequence. And then everybody being like, "now HERE'S another DOOZY" and then they just make a boring looking space port. Like surely they would have built a space port eventually anyway? If a wizard appears before me and manifests a parking garage I'm going to be more impressed by the wizard than the parking garage.

Maybe I missed something really astonishing about SWORD II or the port?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

The fact that a space station and space port were created in the blink of an eye?

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
There is a lot of supremely advanced tech on the Sword station. Forge could have probably built something similar or even better, but why bother when you can reality warp a photo copy in. That's what's impressive.

The port was just compliments for attention to detail.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The port was probably so they could do the 2010 riff about landings

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if there is a mutants at work book i'd rather get one about the five than x-corp. proteus has never been treated as a person before, hope is hope, elixir is a mass of ptsd, tempus has spent decades lost in time, goldballs was never taken seriously by anyone including himself. then they've got this weird rear end family dynamic which has been only briefly hinted at. that's way more interesting than the monet and angel incompetence extravaganza.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
I didn't expect the omega question to result in all of this discussion but I love it.

Seconding the idea of a book about the Five over x-corp. You create a utopia separated from the world and then want to get into the mechanics of capitalism and corporate life. I'll pass

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I enjoy the idea of a book lead by Warren, Monet, and Madrox, but I have no clue where they’re going with this, and why anyone would think involving Mastermind would be a good idea. More Sunspot, please.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I suspect Mastermind is there for the same reason they let Sinister lead a team of emotionally traumatized former villains.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Skwirl posted:

I suspect Mastermind is there for the same reason they let Sinister lead a team of emotionally traumatized former villains.

Hijinks and shenanigans :hai:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

rantmo posted:

Hijinks and shenanigans :hai:

The mutants are trying to create an entirely new culture here, so clearly "because it's funny" has been adopted as a guiding principle

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

The mutants are trying to create an entirely new culture here, so clearly "because it's funny" has been adopted as a guiding principle

Also give the dangerously deranged capes

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

So they're adopting internet culture circa 2004?

I foresee zero potential issues with this.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I kind of wish SWORD was coming out more often because I'm curious if the second station is going to be covered in it, and kind of hope they develop an inter-satellite rivalry

Actually, are the Arakkoans going to be manning the Mars station? That seems like a good way to get into a war with the rest of the universe

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Nah,they adapt best when challenged, keeping the peace is the biggest challenge they ever faced.

First sign of conflict it will be this

[MODEDIT: IMAGE REMOVED]

Times a million.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jun 20, 2021

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

when you petition the council for anything, there's a list of reasons you can check off for why you want it and one of the options is "lol. lmao."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/RPHutch1975/status/1406327045630664721?s=19

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Skwirl posted:

Nah,they adapt best when challenged, keeping the peace is the biggest challenge they ever faced.

First sign of conflict it will be this

[MODEDIT: IMAGE REMOVED]

Times a million.

Put a content warning on pictures like this next time, please! :gonk:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/bway3rd/status/1407436182686928904?s=19

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

That was a roller coaster of emotions in today's SWORD. From "well, this is interesting" to "wow, WTF, I did not expect this reveal" to "aww, I can't believe Ewing is making me care about these two"

And the art, it just makes it gel so perfectly. I loved every panel in this thing.

More, please. I need more!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I love the recurring theme that Krakoa can't get leverage on Wakanda no matter what. I feel like that has to come to a head somewhere.

Edit: Also, when was it revealed that Doom's middle name is Karen? :v:

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jun 23, 2021

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

And the one thing I was missing in SWORD, always someone out there dunking on Cortez, Way of X got that covered:

Amazing work in everything else as well. Stacy X showing up was a surprise. Give it up for the procreation police!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

And, finally, Wolverine #13 sucked rear end. Dreadful conclusion to the plot it was trying to set and for anyone expecting Beast to finally get his comeuppance keep waiting, 'cause that didn't happen.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Saoshyant posted:

And, finally, Wolverine #13 sucked rear end. Dreadful conclusion to the plot it was trying to set and for anyone expecting Beast to finally get his comeuppance keep waiting, 'cause that didn't happen.

The speech he gave Emma will come to bite him in the rear end, and I am sure it will happen in x-force not wolverine

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I get the feeling the Storm reveal in SWORD was supposed to be like "OHHH poo poo" but instead my reaction, and I imagine Doom's, was more along these lines: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9pePpxU58M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

OnimaruXLR posted:

I get the feeling the Storm reveal in SWORD was supposed to be like "OHHH poo poo" but instead my reaction, and I imagine Doom's, was more along these lines: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9pePpxU58M

To be fair, it's supposed to have that effect on anyone who knows anything about anything. The entrance was for the aliens who don't know to put respect on the name Storm.