Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's better than it used to be. The lovely stuff is still happening too much but the fact that it's getting reported is still pretty important, it makes it harder for the bigots to hide.

None of us will be alive when the problem is solved but I think humans will get there eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

... women, amirite boys?

On another topic, I got the SY 300, eagerly awaiting it in the mail, I imagine it's not too popular here because it's not an analog synth. But watching this video it appears really capable anyway, and if I understand correctly I can control it as easily with a MIDI keyboard as a guitar, and I can also "control" it with any other analogue audio input. Like samples from other devices. Not seeing any videos about that on the tubes, mostly just guitar junkies playing conventional guitar and using it as an effect pedal. Which tells me what I already know about guitar bands and humans in general. Those guys should have dropped acid before making the videos.

Here's a good demo of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5e8KRsa1bc

My personal experience is with the best Boss effects you have to use a little imagination or it's just another effects pedal.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
A lot of the poo poo stuff today is people jumping off the deep end when this stuff comes up. Normal dude sees company he likes being crappy towards a group of people, gets upset at people badmouthing company and then is now posting really poo poo racist/misogynist/whatever stuff and blaming on the SJW agenda or whatever broke their loving brains.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I'm thinking the ideal setup for that may be a MIDI keyboard and a guitar or samples.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jun 17, 2021

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

watho posted:

MW being misogynists? why i never

but they changed the name

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

JamesKPolk posted:

but they changed the name

What's MW? My Waifu?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

petit choux posted:

What's MW? My Waifu?

mod wiggler, used to be muff wiggler

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

petit choux posted:

What's MW? My Waifu?

Currently Mod Wiggler, formerly Muff Wiggler. De facto forum for a lot of synth (and especially modular synth) discussion online, to the point that some modular manufacturers use it as their support forum, or did at least. I haven't paid much attention to it in the last couple of years. The community there has always been a bit weird and neckbeardy but as there's been a bigger push in recent years to make the synth community more inclusive, a lot of masks there have been slipping or coming off entirely.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

LOL they changed their name. Good thing Gearslutz is still hanging in there.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

petit choux posted:

i… i have some bad news :(

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

petit choux posted:

yeah, about that..

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Synths and Synthesis mkII: modspace/muffslutz

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
What do the fine folks at gearslutz have to say on the matter?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

has anyone here rented a monthly rehearsal / lockout space before? I've done the by-the-hour thing but looking at private lockouts it seems cool

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Stan Taylor posted:

You'll have to ask them on gearspace, which is what they changed to.

The MW thread on the subject is great as so many people are showing their rear end, most prominently the moderator.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

A MIRACLE posted:

has anyone here rented a monthly rehearsal / lockout space before? I've done the by-the-hour thing but looking at private lockouts it seems cool

Our local rehearsal studio place thing rents lockups for 25 quid a month. This doesn't count costs for rehearsals or whatever but 6ish quid a week vs carrying cabinets, drums etc back and forth is worth it in my book. A lot of bands just split the cost between them. Each lockup is big enough to hold a full drum kit, a cab or two, whatever you can fit. About 5 or 6 ft deep, 4 wide and 8 or 9 tall.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Hail Satan

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

I did this years ago with my old band, we shared a huge room with another band so it ended up being pretty cheap. Definitely beats dragging around your equipment, don’t have to worry about setting poo poo up, etc. It was 24/7 too which was awesome, we could jam at 2 AM if we wanted.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

A MIRACLE posted:

You'll make a lot of creepy friends at 3am in the halls. It will smell terrible. Its totally worth it.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
speaking of lovely companies, this looks rad: https://www.musicradar.com/news/behringer-takes-no-time-in-releasing-early-images-of-its-cs-80-clone

this might have already been posted (as well as the cs80 clone, i have no idea when it was announced or rumored as I don't follow gear news as closely as I used to), but it looks really sick and if I wanted a straight up drum machine and didn't have the digitakt and model: samples already, I'd probably get this:

https://www.musicradar.com/news/behringer-lmdrum-linndrum

weird that they're adding the ability to import your own samples? according to the article, at least, but the 'wave designer' and analogue filter sound really cool, and the interface is really nice, imo. and I just like Linn drum machines as well, would be cool if it came with Linn M1 and other drum hits from Linn's drum machines pre loaded in it. Maybe with the sampling capability plus the 12 bit sample quality, they're going for an E-mu SP 1200 sort of thing?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Why do you have both a Digitakt and m:s? Genuinely curious; I assumed m:s was a straight subset of the DT's capabilities at a cut price.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

the model samples does seem to have more knobs for stuff which I like. But until they fix those pads I'm not buying that form factor again. Also the battery pack they released seems really stupid. poo poo should just be rechargeable from the factory imo

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Stan Taylor posted:

all chuds all day

https://gearspace.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/1354335-misogyny-moog.html

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

If it makes you feel better the Modwiggler one turned into people ranting about BLM and "the Somalis" before being locked and deleted :)

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 29 hours!
the muffwiggler climate change thread getting closed was the thing that taught me any time there's a no politics rule it exists solely to protect the awful opinions of the worst people

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Banning discussion of politics is inherently conservative

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Tayter Swift posted:

Why do you have both a Digitakt and m:s? Genuinely curious; I assumed m:s was a straight subset of the DT's capabilities at a cut price.

It was an upgrade, I’m selling my M:S coincidentally, if anyone wants one. I got the Model: Samples having messed with my friend’s Machinedrum and Digitakt a bit, and thinking that I should maybe just go for the Digitakt, but I’m kind of glad I got the Model: Samples as it really forced me to learn it thoroughly, and made me get creative with the limitations. Then when I got the Digitakt I was basically already really familiar with it, from owning the M: S and also from borrowing my friends Digitakt for a month or two, and basically learned every little trick/thing about it because I read the manual front to back and watched every video I could about it, trying to decide between it and the Octatrack. I obviously got the Digitakt, but I realized shortly after buying it that I could’ve gotten an MKI for the same price, but now that the Digitakt has two LFOs plus the additional filter options, and resampling options with the latest upgrade, I’m actually kind of glad I didn’t get the Octatrack. I still would like to use an Octatrack and see if I don’t mind the workflow, but I don’t know anyone with one. And also I’m glad that I didn’t get an Mk1, because I think the MKII looks so much cooler, and the Digitakt also looks dope. If I played more live stuff I would definitely go for the Octatrack tho.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jun 18, 2021

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Lightning has finally struck and there is a relatively affordable (~$700) used OP-1 near me. Gonna go check it out today and probably buy it. I have been wanting one for years.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
destroy CHUDs with synth jams

be political 100% of the time

Be gay

Do crime

ACAB

ABC Always be closingcumming

Kill everyone now

Condone first degree murder

Advocate cannibalism

Eat poo poo

Filth are my politics

Filth is my life

https://youtu.be/wTOWIMJkKpc

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 19, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
All gear is poo poo, Hail Satan

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
At long last, it is mine.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Looks really clean

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it seems to be in basically new condition. Now I have to learn how to use it, huh.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

If you decide you don’t want it dm me haha. I should just get an iPad probably

Got the reface dx today and went thru the presets marking which ones I’m gonna rewrite. Hint: it’s the lead presets lol. Seems pretty deep so far on patch making. I know it’s not a full 6 op I don’t k ow maybe someday I’ll get a 6op synth

Think this is gonna be real nice for patch invention. I’ve always wanted to release a patch collection.

Here’s a patch I made on the analog 4 last night fades in about a minute in https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/dDhPHj1Tu1sDWGAN8

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 19, 2021

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Trig Discipline posted:

At long last, it is mine.

drat you I'm super jealous

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Op-1 is the only piece of gear I regret selling

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Mine turned out to be the sp404, really happy to have one again

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I may have also made a friend - OP-1 dude is nice as heck and turns out to have a youtube channel where he makes beepery and boopery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16EV8-_29e8

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
How the gently caress did I do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

ugh soundcloud changed their poo poo and now you have to pay for mastering including normalize I think. anyone else get this? whats a good music hoster