Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

https://twitter.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1404512788966514689

I hate to say big if true, but.... big if true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
it seems like this doesn't differ from what they've always said? "Ukraine is welcome when its ready"

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Russia's express interests involving the Ukraine not joining NATO...have been dashed.

Russia...wouldn't provoke NATO now would it? *gulp*

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Grouchio posted:

Russia's express interests involving the Ukraine not joining NATO...have been dashed.

Russia...wouldn't provoke NATO now would it? *gulp*

I mean, they already pushed the limits of the Ukraine Agreement by annexing Crimea and invading Ukraine, so...they kinda already showed how they feel

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
https://twitter.com/JonLemire/status/1404520361849413642

Zelensky is a loving fool lmao

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

This is the second time this month that he’s performing premature NATO ejaculations in public.

https://www.axios.com/ukraine-biden-call-readout-nato-membership-plan-875ddde2-0ef2-481f-aa5f-97c6a36a9c97.html

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
You guys understand that a whole lot of people just read headlines and nothing else, right?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Nitrox posted:

You guys understand that a whole lot of people just read headlines and nothing else, right?

I do, but that is the stupidest possible play here.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
Hopefully Putin reads the full article lol. This is basically like flashing gang signs to seem cool. Luckily Biden really emphasized that Ukraine was too hosed up to be let in at the moment at the presser.

wisconsingreg fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 14, 2021

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Vasukhani posted:

Hopefully Putin reads the full article lol. This is basically like flashing gang signs to seem cool. Luckily Biden really emphasized that Ukraine was too hosed up to be let in at the moment at the presser.
Cue to *New Russophile candidate becomes President*

NATO: Well this is awkward.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Sekenr posted:

Real WTF moment in Minsk, there is a press briefing going on about Ryanair flight including for some reason Roman Protasevich himself. BBC journalist twitted that they refuse to participate in this and left the event.

It was really stupid. They've changed their version of the Ryanair incident like for the fifth time now, and how they explained deportation of 3 Belarusian Polish activists was not only stupid (well, you see, they had a choice to stay here and go to prison for years or move to Poland, so really, it was their own decision, no pressure at all), but also highly illegal as they recorded the Polish consul without his knowledge. I'm sure this will make EU end all sanctions immediately. Also mildly funny, I guess, how Roman 'forgot' the name of the mysterious Russian oligarch who sponsored protests, and how interrogation by LNR prosecutors is not a thing anymore, despite Lukashenko's fiery promises. It's clear that the press conference was mothing more than a performance ahead of Biden-Putin talks, but boy, are Belarusian officials bad at performing.

One thing I will say was actually interesting to me, and maybe it's just me projecting, but Protasevich seemed to me genuinely happy to dunk on protest leaders for their perceived failures and infighting. I read a bunch of opposition telegram channels and chats semi-regularly, and outside of Lukashenko, the main targets of peoples' anger are often Tikhanovskaya, Latushko, etc. Sometimes because they see some other personalities as better potential leaders, sometimes because of general political burnout and need to blow off some steam, and rarely because it's just a paid bot, lol. It's definitely cathartic to assign blame for 'failed protests', and complain about ineffectiveness of various politicians. Protasevich couldn't do it openly before, and now I can kind of see how he would also blame them for getting arrested. It's not entirely rational, but he can't openly criticise Lukashenko and secret servicer right now, so the only way he can vent his frustration is through blaming opposition leaders. Funnily enough, even though state propaganda tries to paint his complaints as some unique insight into what's going on behind the curtain with the protest movement, for anyone who follows various opposition politicians to any extent, it's glaringly obvious that Protasevich doesn't have any special insight into what's going on there. He repeats the same gripes and rumours I've been hearing for months now. That plus some officially approved narratives about how the opposition is controlled by Poland and Lithuania, of course, but he can't get this part straight, and it doesn't look like his own thoughts on the matter.

Grouchio posted:

Cue to *New Russophile candidate becomes President*

NATO: Well this is awkward.

Highly unlikely at the moment. A pro-Russian candidate can only realistically win if Luhansk and Donetsk voters support them, and well, they can't really vote for any Ukrainian politician right now. Plus recent 'anti-oligarch' steps Zelenskyi took have weakened positions of the Opposition Platform and Medvedchuk, who are perceived as the pro-Russian political power in Ukraine.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 15, 2021

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Paladinus posted:

Highly unlikely at the moment. A pro-Russian candidate can only realistically win if Luhansk and Donetsk voters support them, and well, they can't really vote for any Ukrainian politician right now. Plus recent 'anti-oligarch' steps Zelenskyi took have weakened positions of the Opposition Platform and Medvedchuk, who are perceived as the pro-Russian political power in Ukraine.

This is why Putin's "Plan A" is the reintegration of Donetsk and Lugansk with some special status

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Ryanair's boss has been giving testimony to the UK's Transport select committee, where he claims that

Michael O'Leary posted:

the captain was “repeatedly seeking an open line of communication to Ryanair’s operations control centre in Warsaw, various excuses came back from Minsk on why they couldn’t reach us, Ryanair weren’t answering the phone, all of which was completely untrue”.

He said the pilot’s only means of communications was through Minsk, which “confirmed it was a red alert”.

Upon landing, unidentified persons boarded the aircraft carrying video cameras, O’Leary said, to “repeatedly attempt to get the crew to confirm on video that they had voluntarily diverted.

“The crew were put under significant pressure, taken under armed guard and held for a number of hours. The captain was accompanied by an armed guard … It was a very hostile and threatening environment.”

but then concludes that we shouldn't put sanctions on Belarussian airlines because

Michael O'Leary posted:

“It is very dangerous territory if we’re going to start politicising overflying rights,” he said.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

u brexit ukip it posted:

the captain was “repeatedly seeking an open line of communication to Ryanair’s operations control centre in Warsaw, various excuses came back from Minsk on why they couldn’t reach us, Ryanair weren’t answering the phone, all of which was completely untrue”.

They played a recording at the yesterday's press conference, where, allegedly, the Belarusian operator called someone in Vilnius. Both were speaking Russian. The Belarusian operator requested a Ryanair frequency the pilot could use for instructions in case of a bomb thread, but the Lithuanian operator could only come up with a frequency for Ryanair's technical support or something like that. Doesn't look like that information was relayed to the pilot anyway.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Yeah that kinda tracks. They could patch them through to a local technical Ryanair depot on Vilnus airport - though it would be unorthodox and, well, no one would be able to do jack poo poo on that frequency because it's for plane literally on the tarmac in Vilnus. Every plane has an ACARS system - a digital, SMS-like messaging environment that's absolutely poo poo to use because of delays and the fact it's really hard to type messages into it. In fact, older and smaller airplanes - like the a320s flying on these routes - don't even display a reply on screen, but instead print it on a piece of paper, the type you'd get your receipt on in a grocery store It's nothing you'd depend on in a quickly developing crisis situation. The newer and larger Airibusii (heh) and Boeings have chat-like interfaces, but it's not something you'd find on a janky Ryanair 737 in eastern europe.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Why are these idiots still holding people at gun point and demanding them to say bullshit lies. I mean I know it's for the audience of putonopholes but still it's so loving blatant. It's mom get the camera belarussian style.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Why are these idiots still holding people at gun point and demanding them to say bullshit lies. I mean I know it's for the audience of putonopholes but still it's so loving blatant. It's mom get the camera belarussian style.

Informational warfare. Everyone and their mom knows what happened but for influencing general opinion and 'writing history' this works. Same bullshit as putler regime does.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
There's plenty of evidence on Twitter (or ehem, on SA) that people will happily believe blatantly "bullshit lies" from these regimes

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Well, statistically there are way more dumb people than anyone thinks. Statistics is a mean bitch.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
ANY DAY NOW

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.axios.com/vladimir-putin-press-conference-biden-summit-9e33ea75-d13e-4ea4-b75f-4fb413f556a7.html

"Constructive" is an honest compliment here, colour me impressed. A bunch of the usual crap as well, but I guess it really is going to be a quiet time until 2024. Curious to see if these consultations will prove to be anything more than hot air + maybe siloviki sacrificing a hacker brigade or two for not paying their dues on time, or accidentally torpedoing a company that did service some oligarch's Miami yacht or similar.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

cinci zoo sniper posted:

https://www.axios.com/vladimir-putin-press-conference-biden-summit-9e33ea75-d13e-4ea4-b75f-4fb413f556a7.html

"Constructive" is an honest compliment here, colour me impressed. A bunch of the usual crap as well, but I guess it really is going to be a quiet time until 2024. Curious to see if these consultations will prove to be anything more than hot air + maybe siloviki sacrificing a hacker brigade or two for not paying their dues on time, or accidentally torpedoing a company that did service some oligarch's Miami yacht or similar.

Vladimir Putin posted:

"There's no happiness in life. There's only a mirage on the horizon, so we'll cherish that."

:ussr:

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
Also, LOL that he basically admitted to killing his political opponents. Instead of denying accusations and trying to explain their poor health and short life expectancy, he said "you do it too".

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/tadeuszgiczan/status/1405454678708690948?s=21

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

taking bets on what will drop on telegram "in a few days" from the very secure mailboxes of Polish gov officials.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

:lol: what the hell

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://lenta.ru/news/2021/06/17/nespasateli/

quote:

"Actually, those were civilians, who made for themselves in this critical situation such an inexplicable decision. They did dress themselves up in those costumes and did not find anything smarter to do than to follow Aksyonov's boat by swim," the office did comment.

MChS press service did further clarify, that the swim's participants did reach the shore "happy and satisfied", without requiring any assistance.

:staredog: What the actual gently caress is going on there? :laffo:

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Omg they're swimming in it. :rip:

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Water shortage problem solved, now onto the boat shortage crisis.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

https://lenta.ru/news/2021/06/17/nespasateli/

:staredog: What the actual gently caress is going on there? :laffo:

Surely they don't expect anyone to actually believe that, right?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

In lighter news: someone has hidden at least 168kg of cocaine in banana shipment to Poland. And the packages were found only after they were shipped to individual shops. Some big brain manouver by drug traffickers.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

alex314 posted:

In lighter news: someone has hidden at least 168kg of cocaine in banana shipment to Poland. And the packages were found only after they were shipped to individual shops. Some big brain manouver by drug traffickers.

There's always money in the banana shop.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Surely they don't expect anyone to actually believe that, right?

Rinkles posted:

There's plenty of evidence on Twitter (or ehem, on SA) that people will happily believe blatantly "bullshit lies" from these regimes

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Flooding in Crimea today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkXbTB-zNUI

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
First they complain about not having enough water...

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Well, they did have a water shortage before so it evens out over time!

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
They need to bring in Aleksandr Dugin to close the weather magic gap between them and the NATO homo-Nazis.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

mobby_6kl posted:

First they complain about not having enough water...
Oh go Crimea river.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Zudgemud posted:

Well, they did have a water shortage before so it evens out over time!
There are probably people who seriously argue this. What is the water capacity for Crimea's dams reservoirs anyway? I cannot seem to find anything online and looking at the peninsula on Google maps all the reserviors look too small to keep the place fed with water for a year with a population of 2.5 million. Also a few reviews of those reservoirs complain how they have dried up or nearly dried up.