Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

Are there any books/documentaries about the guys grinding it out on the web.com tour? Is that your a combination of guys who are winning enough to make a living and others who are burning money hoping to get their pro card?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

Douchebag posted:

Good book to read about life on the tour: Making the Cut: Life Inside the PGA Tour System

We take for granted how hard it is to stay in the top 125 to stay on the PGA tour because we watch the same aliens play amazing golf week in and week out. Then we see guys like Fowler to have a downturn and have to try to qualify for the US Open. No one thinks a guy like Fowler who is on tv every day for most people in his adverts that he’s struggling to keep his tour card right now.

Let’s be clear, Rickie isn’t struggling to keep his card. He still has it for a couple more years at least and turn he’ll have money lists exemptions on top of that.

But he is struggling.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Daric posted:

Let’s be clear, Rickie isn’t struggling to keep his card. He still has it for a couple more years at least and turn he’ll have money lists exemptions on top of that.

But he is struggling.

Ahh ok, good to know. He's just been out of action for a while, won't play this weekend, I figured he was close. I forgot about previous tour wins and the money list stuff.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Closed on the new house three days ago. Here is the view from our bedroom yesterday morning:

This is a completely different house than the one I posted a couple months(?) ago. We were about to undergo a massive interior reno when our insurance guy said the roof would have to be replaced, and the seller would not cover the cost. SEE YA. So we ended up with plan B, which is actually a better & bigger house, and will allow me to move my business back into my home. We're about halfway down the right fairway of a par-4. You can see the green in that photo. Only been here a week & already lost a window!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Lincoln posted:

We're about halfway down the right fairway of a par-4. You can see the green in that photo. Only been here a week & already lost a window!

Ya, you're gonna loose a lot more than that lol

At least your collection of lost balls is going to grow!

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

mattfl posted:

Ya, you're gonna loose a lot more than that lol

My wife and I both refer to this as our retirement home, but with a different emphasis. Her because she's going to retire here. Me because the house has replaced my retirement.

Four yard balls so far, one Pro V1.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Lincoln posted:

My wife and I both refer to this as our retirement home, but with a different emphasis. Her because she's going to retire here. Me because the house has replaced my retirement.

Maybe install a sheet of perforated plexiglass over the windows? Or some netting or something?

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Mederlock posted:

Maybe install a sheet of perforated plexiglass over the windows? Or some netting or something?

Best permanent option is impact-resistant laminated glass. Lotta people out here use it...it's expensive, but you only have to do it once. Can only be used for immovable windows. Doesn't get scratched or cloudy like plexiglass. Netting & screen also an option, but they are always noticeable and do block your view. Really, the best option for this sort of thing is best-of-the-worst. Just part of the price you pay for a house on a golf course.

nerox
May 20, 2001

Lincoln posted:

They are always Pinnacles, Nitros, or Noodles.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Lincoln posted:

Closed on the new house three days ago. Here is the view from our bedroom yesterday morning:

This is a completely different house than the one I posted a couple months(?) ago. We were about to undergo a massive interior reno when our insurance guy said the roof would have to be replaced, and the seller would not cover the cost. SEE YA. So we ended up with plan B, which is actually a better & bigger house, and will allow me to move my business back into my home. We're about halfway down the right fairway of a par-4. You can see the green in that photo. Only been here a week & already lost a window!

Downside: You'll have to get a lot of windows replaced! You don't have to pay for those...right?

Upside: You'll never have to buy golf balls again!

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
good spot for a sniper nest

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Lincoln posted:

We're about halfway down the right fairway of a par-4. You can see the green in that photo. Only been here a week & already lost a window!

RIP.

View looks fantastic though.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah that's a lovely view, drat

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Still a lot of work to be done but finally got my impact screen in and Skytrak set up!

Things left to do:
1) Put foam acoustic panels behind the curtains on the right in case they don't stop a shank
2) Build a platform out of 2 4x8 pieces of plywood, drop the foam mats I stand on on top, surround it with trim, then cover it with turf. Then have my hitting mat on top of that for a cleaner look.
3) Replace this rickety ikea vanity with a long butcher block shelf and clean up the cords

But it'll work for now! I'm going to stick with the driving range software for a month or so and then add The Golf Club so I can play all the courses.

Daric fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 16, 2021

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Daric posted:

Still a lot of work to be done but finally got my impact screen in and Skytrak set up!

Things left to do:
1) Put foam acoustic panels behind the curtains on the right in case they don't stop a shank
2) Build a platform out of 2 4x8 pieces of plywood, drop the foam mats I stand on on top, surround it with trim, then cover it with foam. Then have my hitting mat on top of that for a cleaner look.
3) Replace this rickety ikea vanity with a long butcher block shelf and clean up the cords

But it'll work for now! I'm going to stick with the driving range software for a month or so and then add The Golf Club so I can play all the courses.

holy poo poo I am so jealous of this

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Kirios posted:

Downside: You'll have to get a lot of windows replaced! You don't have to pay for those...right?

Golfers are under no obligation to pay for damages. If they want to be nice about it, they'll pay for a new window, but the homeowner is ultimately responsible.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Lincoln posted:

Golfers are under no obligation to pay for damages. If they want to be nice about it, they'll pay for a new window, but the homeowner is ultimately responsible.

Was gonna come in for the same point. It's not absolut, but the general rule is the homeowner bears the cost.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Used to work the pro shop at a muni that had condos lining the 9th fairway. Couple times a season we would have the same owners in bitching about balls in their yards/through their windows. We referred them to the city who basically told them "You bought a condo on the edge of a golf course, what exactly were you expecting?"

We also had a medium-ish par 3 that pointed toward a high use road and got angry drivers who had a knifed ball hit their door/windshield/hood. The city usually paid out for those. Thankfully no one took a maxfli through their drivers side window.

I'm currently attempting a comeback after almost a decade of not playing, and it is boggling my mind that I was low teen handicap as a teenager with almost no practice time. Just waltzed out and shot between 82-85 most days. After an afternoon of not being able to hit a 50yd pitch straight I want to strangle my teenage self and tell him to practice so he could actually be good.

I did figure out that I was just slashing at the ball with my arms with no discernable shoulder/chest turn so at least I have something to work on.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
That's interesting. I think all of the subdivisions here that have a golf course are all sort of owned by the same property. So I just assumed that, while the golfer was never responsible, that there might be some kind of higher HOA fee the course-side houses pay into that would repair windows or stuff.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

BonoMan posted:

That's interesting. I think all of the subdivisions here that have a golf course are all sort of owned by the same property. So I just assumed that, while the golfer was never responsible, that there might be some kind of higher HOA fee the course-side houses pay into that would repair windows or stuff.

Almost anything is in play with HOA.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

DJExile posted:

holy poo poo I am so jealous of this

I think it's going to end up being pretty fun, but there's still a lot to do.

I'm going to add The Golf Club in a month or so to actually play courses but right now it's limited to the driving range. And I managed to get a super deal on the Skytrak as a buddy sold me his for half of what it was worth and then my job reimbursed me for the whole thing through our fitness perks.

I'm going to try to hit driver today after I finish installing foam panels on the right side to catch any shanks.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Daric posted:

my job reimbursed me for the whole thing through our fitness perks.

lol goddamn what a grift, nicely done

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

went from no clue and skulling chips to hitting the stick on a 50 yard wedge shot in about 2 hours today. this game is loving wild

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
A buddy of mine enjoys purchasing golf clubs with his considerable disposable income.

In an act of intervention, I convinced him to stick to his current putter (an Evnroll) and sell his collection of Bettinardis (and other clubs).

I've listed them for him here.

Anybody looking for a putter? :q:

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god
First golf game in decades and yeah I'm in love with it again.

I could smash absolutely (woods, irons) everything off a tee including one glorious shot hitting a 190 yards and a 7 iron on a par three that just dropped next to the pin so beautifully I could have wept with joy.

However, hitting on the fareway was a whole 'nother story. Then I realised I was approaching the ball the same as if it was teed up. Doh.

Looking forward to my lessons and my putting is still utterly utterly awful.

Got a really cool couple of skorts things. I'm in trouble guys. I can't stop thinking about playing again. A colleagues wife plays as well and is hooking me up with the lady circuit :dance:

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ClydeFrog posted:

I could smash absolutely (woods, irons) everything off a tee including one glorious shot hitting a 190 yards and a 7 iron on a par three that just dropped next to the pin so beautifully I could have wept with joy.

However, hitting on the fareway was a whole 'nother story. Then I realised I was approaching the ball the same as if it was teed up. Doh.

Got a really cool couple of skorts things. I'm in trouble guys. I can't stop thinking about playing again. A colleagues wife plays as well and is hooking me up with the lady circuit :dance:

The skorts thing is worrying. That level of gear aquisition syndrome so early in your return. You'll be the person upthread selling your extra putters on eBay.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

ClydeFrog posted:

Skorts are the poo poo

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
My wife hates the Nike golf skirts because for some reason they’re very long but the Nike tennis ones are a better length. That and Lulu’s running skirts are her go to golf apparel.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Kameh posted:

A buddy of mine enjoys purchasing golf clubs with his considerable disposable income.

In an act of intervention, I convinced him to stick to his current putter (an Evnroll) and sell his collection of Bettinardis (and other clubs).

Alright, the idea of spending $1100 on a peace sign milled, tie dye, kool-aid man themed putter is just cracking me up. That thing should be in a museum somewhere, it’d sell for 10k if it was a Scotty Cameron.

If that thing was $300 I’d buy it in a heartbeat just for the obviously ridiculous conversation I’d have with my wife justifying another putter.

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

torgeaux posted:

The skorts thing is worrying. That level of gear aquisition syndrome so early in your return. You'll be the person upthread selling your extra putters on eBay.

I already got some really cute pink/white striped chinos and a long sleeved white polo shirt. Oh and a gilet... Yeah this really has the potential to go horribly wrong.

I have however promised myself no new clubs unless I start playing at least once a week. My basic set is fine, I can and did hit good shots at points with all of them so are more than adequate to learn with. I figure that until I know what I'm doing, I won't know what would be most helpful to have assistance with from a kit pov.

One colleague had some Ping blueprint irons he seemed very very proud of and they felt very very different when I played with the PW. I didn't realise it would be so immediately noticeable. And someone else had some crazy Taylormade graphite clubs and the driver was just :catstare:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Kameh posted:

Thankfully those custom Bettinardi putters are just a little too expensive for me to justify jumping on but it's very tempting.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

ClydeFrog posted:

I already got some really cute pink/white striped chinos and a long sleeved white polo shirt. Oh and a gilet... Yeah this really has the potential to go horribly wrong.

I have however promised myself no new clubs unless I start playing at least once a week. My basic set is fine, I can and did hit good shots at points with all of them so are more than adequate to learn with. I figure that until I know what I'm doing, I won't know what would be most helpful to have assistance with from a kit pov.

One colleague had some Ping blueprint irons he seemed very very proud of and they felt very very different when I played with the PW. I didn't realise it would be so immediately noticeable. And someone else had some crazy Taylormade graphite clubs and the driver was just :catstare:

Let me know where you reliably find women’s golf clothes, all the stuff at golf galaxy and the pga superstore are bright terrible florals for obnoxious boomers. My wife never finds anything she likes.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

ElGroucho posted:

Let me know where you reliably find women’s golf clothes, all the stuff at golf galaxy and the pga superstore are bright terrible florals for obnoxious boomers. My wife never finds anything she likes.

Likewise. My fiance has had the best luck at thrift stores, actually. She found some nice understated Nike and Puma stuff there last time we went.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Look for tennis clothes, for real. Lulu, Nike, Adidas tennis stuff is all great. If you want something more expensive there’s also Foray Golf.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
Go to Goodwills and thrift shops near high-end golf courses, for real.

Houston has 8 million courses, and though my wife tends to find treasures at every Goodwill she enters, the ones near the "nice" courses have the best golf apparel.

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

I'm in the UK so probably not very helpful. I actually got the polo off Amazon, maybe they have equivalents on .com but it was about £15

We have a shop here called Marks & Spencer's which is 90% old lady clothes but it's got good t-shirts, shorts and chinos much cheaper than many places , so if you have an equivalent type store you would probably find something very similar to them.

And these were like £20. Very comfy.

I found looking at anything that had "golf" even near it made it four times the price.

Skort is £25 ASOS.

Tennis clothing is a good idea. I must resist.

ClydeFrog fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jun 19, 2021

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I golfed today.

Tough to play when you can't keep it in the fairway. I'm only going 5 iron off the tee next round and see how I do.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I played yesterday for the first time since September. I hit 3/4 of a bucket before teeing off and promptly tore a blister on my left thumb on the 2nd hole. :negative:

Round was pretty bad and I lost a ton of balls off the tee, and I had to leave after 16 holes due to pace of play, but at least I got a solid birdie on a par 5: good drive that went through the fairway, 5 iron out of thick rough to green side, amazing flop shot that landed on the fringe and rolled out to tap in distance.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jun 19, 2021

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Josh Lyman posted:

I played yesterday for the first time in December. I hit 3/4 of a bucket before teeing off and promptly tore a blister on my left thumb on the 2nd hole. :negative:

Round was pretty bad and I lost a ton of balls off the tee, and I had to leave after 16 holes due to pace of play, but at least I got a solid birdie on a par 5: good drive that went through the fairway, 5 iron out of thick rough to green side, amazing flop shot that landed on the fringe and rolled out to tap in distance.

And that, friends, is how the game keeps us playing. That one hole we play beautifully.

Sorry about the pace. It's getting worse again after a couple of years of getting better, out my way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

We got stuck behind four young dudes who stood around lining up their puts and taking practice swings like they were on the Tour. This is a city muni course, please just take your shot.

This isn't the first time a group of young Golf Enthusiasts have held me up