Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
It wasn't just one poster either, there was an entire rabid fanbase all over the internet that would never shut up about how amazing he was. And then just doubled down when he started losing.

e] I don't mind admitting I was a fan, or other people being fans, as long as we're honest about his actual abilities and record.

e again] Also afaik noone has a problem with Sakuraba?

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jun 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

My opinions of fighters and sports teams are definitely influenced by their forums fanbases. Not in terms of how good I think they are just how much i dislike them

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Memento posted:

That moron got banned because of their constant refrain that it was completely OK that Fedor trained with neo nazis and when they were told to knock it off or get banned, they doubled down and got banned. Also they kept posting like "dear sir" and "mayhap your post is an ad hominen" etc etc the exact kind of poo poo idiots post when they're trying to be smart.

I remember the thread and it was the first one I read on this forum. gently caress, I even remember the series of posts that got him banned. He was sure that fedor had gotten rid of the neo nazis for being neo nazis. Fatherdog (come back fatherdog) of course had quotes on hand from the neo nazis saying they'd left because they couldn't keep up with Fedor's training regimen. The pages after each of his losses were loving incredible. It was also the era of Ubereem.
Happy days

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

It wasn't just one poster either, there was an entire rabid fanbase all over the internet that would never shut up about how amazing he was. And then just doubled down when he started losing.

e] I don't mind admitting I was a fan, or other people being fans, as long as we're honest about his actual abilities and record.

They were actually the most vocal during that period after his Pride run when he'd fight someone irrelevant or really fat once a year. They expanded his fairly brief but genuinely impressive time in Rings and Pride, about 5 or 6 years depending on how many early and later fights you count, into "a decade of dominance"

They were still ranking him number 1 right up to when Werdum beat him.

gently caress, remember Wamma? The photo of their closed down offices was a forum favourite for a bit

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Snowman_McK posted:

The pages after each of his losses were loving incredible.

Oh yeahhhh. "oh my god, Fedor was cheated! He wouldn't lose a fair fight!"
*slo mo of Hendo escaping, throwing a legal punch, and crumbling Fedor to the mat*

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Unfortunately the website is down but this is my link to where Fedor's coach claimed that Bigfoot Silva was using psychic warlocks hidden in the audience to drain Fedor's powers.

https://ssl.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=news.detail&gid=303222

The coach later denied it or said he was joking around, but if that website ever comes back it also has a report from someone who translated what the coach said and is pretty sure he wasn't kidding.

And of course, the real reason Fedor lost is that the steroids he was on weren't as good as the ones Bigfoot was on.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
The website isn't down, your link is bad.

https://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/fedors-coach-blames-hidden-psychics-for-loss/

https://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/silvas-manager-answers-fedor-camp-psychic-charge/

https://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/fedors-camp-denies-attributing-loss-to-psychics/

Which originates with

https://www.mmamania.com/2011/2/16/1997607/fedor-trainer-accuses-silvas-team-of-illegal-hypnosis

Which quotes lifesports.ru, which, is actually down. But it's archived:

http://web.archive.org/web/20110611092027/http://lifesports.ru/news/51518

There seems to be video shaped box in the middle that might actually be the original audio for this, but it's flash and probably doesn't work even if I pulled it out of there (I'm guessing it preserved the player, not the video), but I might poke at it later.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

As someone who just watched a Fedor highlight video very recently I can say without question I would not want to fight him regardless of if he's as good as people claim he is or not

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Brut posted:

The website isn't down, your link is bad.

Well yeah, I said it was my link, what did you want?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Fedor fights were typically fun but you had to be taking some pretty deep swigs of the koolaid to claim that he was without any doubt that he was the best heavyweight in the world.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

Oh yeahhhh. "oh my god, Fedor was cheated! He wouldn't lose a fair fight!"
*slo mo of Hendo escaping, throwing a legal punch, and crumbling Fedor to the mat*

*a series of instances of Fedor, the greatest fighter to ever grace the sport, getting technically outboxed by Bigfoot Silva, the slowest man on the planet*

That loss produced his observation that 'weight classes exist for a reason' and it was shortly before Daniel Cormier, who was smaller and fatter than Fedor and much less experienced, flattened Bigfoot in the first round.

CommonShore posted:

Fedor fights were typically fun but you had to be taking some pretty deep swigs of the koolaid to claim that he was without any doubt that he was the best heavyweight in the world.

And, even more so, to think that being the best heavyweight was indicative of being the best in the sport, given how poo poo heavyweight has been at virtually every point in its history

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

His lead right into clinch takedown all in one motion was pretty rad to watch when he did it

That was my big takeaway from re-watching his highlight reel - I forgot how often he would throw that full force shot then immediately in the same motion clinch and takedown which seems terrifying to have done to you by any fighter who is strong as hell

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Orange Carlisle posted:

His lead right into clinch takedown all in one motion was pretty rad to watch when he did it

That was my big takeaway from re-watching his highlight reel

He was good for a bit, pretty well rounded, and was tough as poo poo, mentally and physically. Like a lot of good heavyweights, he was defined as much by a lack of glaring weaknesses as great strengths.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Orange Carlisle posted:

That was my big takeaway from re-watching his highlight reel - I forgot how often he would throw that full force shot then immediately in the same motion clinch and takedown which seems terrifying to have done to you by any fighter who is strong as hell

Yeah that poo poo was rad. And he could throw a loving haymaker like nobody's business. Combine that with his uncanny stoicism and you have a fight worth watching.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Memento posted:

Well yeah, I said it was my link, what did you want?

I want to hear the original audio because that would be loving hilarious but I don't know that I'm prepared to figure out how to rescue it from that webpage archive (and as mentioned, suspect it's impossible). :smith:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Here's the thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3307462

Also that shining star treazn is on the first page :allears:

sausage king of Chicago
Jun 13, 2001
whatever happened to Atom

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

kensei posted:

Here's the thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3307462

Also that shining star treazn is on the first page :allears:

free the guys

rip the guys

this will be a good thread to reminisce to.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

sausage king of Chicago posted:

whatever happened to Atom

i sort of thought of him as sort of like this thread's barnacle jim. he could be stupid as gently caress sometimes but he was definitely one of us.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Did anyone tell fdog he can come back and post with us and he won't be supporting lowtax?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Nierbo posted:

Did anyone tell fdog he can come back and post with us and he won't be supporting lowtax?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=508882316

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Nope

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

If I knew how to work Twitter I wouldn't be here either. Alas.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Holloway got hurt so Yair/Max is off, meaning that Yair now will have gone 2 years without a fight

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Troy Queef posted:

Holloway got hurt so Yair/Max is off, meaning that Yair now will have gone 2 years without a fight

gently caress.

https://twitter.com/MikeHeck_JR/status/1405565860387987465

This dude is 6-0 amateur, 6-0 pro fights, but best of all this is his Tapology picture:

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

Brut posted:

gently caress.

https://twitter.com/MikeHeck_JR/status/1405565860387987465

This dude is 6-0 amateur, 6-0 pro fights, but best of all this is his Tapology picture:

The only LHW or HW fight to fall apart in the upcoming month was OSP/Grishim which means OSP ducked this dude to fight Tanner Boser instead. He must be pretty solid

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

5/6 he's finished in the first or second round. If you're a contender which in LHW is anyone tbh you might not want to take on a new comer on a tear.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
is he a really fuckin stocky lhw or is nate just taller than I'd realised?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
5'11", 76" inch reach. That's a solid ape index.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Nate's just standing on a pound of weed in that photo

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Ah yes, I see that Francis' physique got even more insanely jacked in the past 3 years
https://twitter.com/francis_ngannou/status/1405226907642130434

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Having met nate he is one of the few fighters that looks bigger in real life than you'd think.

Kenflo on the other hand was really small.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Nate is infamously one of the biggest men to have ever set foot in the stocktagon.

Lets see maximov fight uh whos in the top 15 of lhw , uh. Uhm. I could maybe name the top 5 but thats it.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Southpaugh posted:

Nate is infamously one of the biggest men to have ever set foot in the stocktagon.

Lets see maximov fight uh whos in the top 15 of lhw , uh. Uhm. I could maybe name the top 5 but thats it.

15. Floppy Arm Hill
14. Crute Brute
13. Cirkunov (He's still kicking around? Good for him)
12. Bearjew
11. Ryan Spann (I think i've seen this man before)
10. Johnny Walker (he's booked for Thiago Santos in October)

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

bearjew not being jewish made me thankful that we don't live in the mike 'n-word' perry timeline. i mean, we sort of do, but not the one that announces it as he walks to the ring.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wait Paul Craig isn't jewish but rocks the "bearjew" nickname?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
he said "bar jaw" but no one understands the Scottish

also I miss the slowking av

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

crepeface posted:

he said "bar jaw" but no one understands the Scottish

also I miss the slowking av

Blame some butthurt person in QCS mad about me saying bad things about lovely mods buying me a redtext

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Mekchu posted:

Blame some butthurt person in QCS mad about me saying bad things about lovely mods buying me a redtext

You think you got it bad.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not at all. I got one of the most lame redtexts I think i've ever seen on SA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

I meant look what someone gave me. Red texts at least explain the cry baby poo poo. Someone giving me this little guy is genuinely baffling.