Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

CobiWann posted:

According to my DM, I'm not allowed to refer to the Monster Manual as a Waifu Guide.

Of course not, you gotta look up Monster Girls for that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Agrikk posted:

On that thought, now I'm curious: How many of us play by the [game system of choice] rules as written vs how many of us pick and choose and alter and delete rules, turning [game system] into a more customized thing?

late to this discussion, but my DM philosophy is "I don't make the rules, I just choose what to enforce and when"

E:

CobiWann posted:

According to my DM, I'm not allowed to refer to the Monster Manual as a Waifu Guide.

Hephner's Instructions for Seduction reveals the secrets of creatures that think they're immune to charm, with new spells like detect hot singles, expanded rules for increasing an intelligent monster's attitude beyond just "friendly", and ok fine it's just an in-world PUA manual

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jun 18, 2021

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Despite being the class best suited to resist it, my awakened wolpertinger wizard has completely destroyed the casting ability of every cleric he has met in combat in the campaign so far, using Phantasmal Assailants to give them 8 dex and 8 wisdom damage. I think at this point the phantasmal assailant is just an illusion of Richard Dawkins.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Wouldn't Locate Hot Singles be more useful than Detect Hot Singles?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
We had to postpone our fellowship campaign, which was an attempt to save the multi-verse from tyranny and entropy. I played a new character class that I really liked, and can’t compare to another RPG.
Edeltäjä was an Angel assigned to the collapse of the universe. Pacifistic (I don’t think I made an attack role in six sessions), she had an advantage no one else in the party had: immunity to environmental damage. Not to everything, but one thing every scene. Whether it was surviving the vacuum of space, plunging through a volcano or being immune to reality distortion in the death dimension, her first two methods of conflict resolution were talking it out.

Well, technically the second was rewriting reality with the power of Words. “Spring”, “Mirror, “Warp” and “Reveal”. She was literally able to create language barriers.

The third method was dropping the attack robot on it, usually from orbit.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Canuck-Errant posted:

Wouldn't Locate Hot Singles be more useful than Detect Hot Singles?

more effective, sure, but it requires 499 gold worth of material components, consumed every week as long as it's in your spell list

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
We tried casting Locate MILF and ended up fighting a manticore, after which our party had several questions for our caster.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Gotta be careful when casting stuff, say one thing wrong and the whole spell takes a wholly different meaning.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

CobiWann posted:

We tried casting Locate MILF and ended up fighting a manticore, after which our party had several questions for our caster.

He clearly was just searching for a Monster Integration with Leonine Features.

I'll show myself out.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 18, 2021

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

CobiWann posted:

Also he memorized six copies of Milf's acid arrow.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

CobiWann posted:

Alternatively, a medusa appears. Bad news: you've been turned to stone. Good news: your party's caster appears to be Jace Veleren.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

So my D&D game is tomorrow night. In all likelihood, we'll be at level 9 by the end of the night. My bard will be getting a 5th level spell, and I'm genuinely at a loss as to what to take. Taking too many concentration spells is a factor, as is material cost. This is a pure dungeon crawl, so that's a big consideration too. Good goons, what should I take?

1) Animate Objects
Pro: excellent battlefield control/action economy
Con: requires concentration, and locks down my bonus action so I can't hand out Bardic Inspiration on round when I choose to have the objects act

2) Legend Lore
Pro: the spiciest, most flavorful pick for this College of Lore bard who loves spooky secrets and can already crush skill checks (which just makes this spell better)
Con: Costs hella bux (250gp per cast)

3) Mass Cure Wounds
Pro: practical choice, doesn't require concentration or eat up bonus actions
Con: a boring pick, and our party has a decent amount of healing even without a cleric

4) Greater Restoration
Pro: another practical choice, and I could use it to go free a friendly robot to make a new friend!
Con: also kind of boring, and costs bux to boot (100gp per cast)

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
How pure is your dungeon crawl, exactly? If you expect to encounter puzzles or negotiate with NPCs, Legend Lore. If ability checks in your game are limited to "bend bars, lift gates, disarm traps" etc., Greater Restoration is more useful than a higher-level healing spell imo, especially because it's one of the only ways to remove exhaustion.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Captain Walker posted:

How pure is your dungeon crawl, exactly? If you expect to encounter puzzles or negotiate with NPCs, Legend Lore. If ability checks in your game are limited to "bend bars, lift gates, disarm traps" etc., Greater Restoration is more useful than a higher-level healing spell imo, especially because it's one of the only ways to remove exhaustion.

It's not all combat and traps. We run into puzzles/mysteries, and have non-combat interactions regularly with NPCs. (We just ran into a friendly Ettin last time, for example. They tried very gently and sheepishly to shake us down for a toll, but we just had a friendly chat with them instead and then spent our long rest having a picnic with them. :3:) There's a way to play through this module without doing all of that, but that would require us to be considerably more genocidal than we are.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
I remember one game I played in where I almost took Legend Lore only for the GM to tell me, "That spell's useless. It's not going to give you any information a good History roll won't give you." I honestly believe the spell's really good but it's going to depend on who's running the game.

Greater Restoration is an amazing swiss army knife though.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

I trust this DM with Legend Lore. I love the line in the spell's description that specifically says that the more you already know about the subject, the more you learn from Legend Lore, not less. The DM knows this too, and he's good for it. (If he weren't, it wouldn't be on my list of options).

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

JustJeff88 posted:

He clearly was just searching for a Monster Integration with Leonine Features.

I'll show myself out.

Nah, he was looking for a Monster (He) would Like to Fight.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I feel like each version of that spell would vary depending on the tastes of the caster they copied the spell from. So copying it from one spellbook leads you to manticores, another copy finds succubi, so on and so on.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Railing Kill posted:

I trust this DM with Legend Lore. I love the line in the spell's description that specifically says that the more you already know about the subject, the more you learn from Legend Lore, not less. The DM knows this too, and he's good for it. (If he weren't, it wouldn't be on my list of options).

I'd say gently caress it, go for Legend Lore and mark on your sheet that next time you're in town, you might want to get some scrolls of restoration. I'm mainly a listener or actual-play podcasts but Legend Lore sounds like a great way to have your character be a lightning rod for useful information about the campaign that either your DM has been slowly piecing out over time while stockpiling the juicy info, or he's got nothing at all and he will have to improv a bunch of poo poo and you can have this sword of damocles over his head from now on :allears:

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Railing Kill posted:

It's not all combat and traps. We run into puzzles/mysteries, and have non-combat interactions regularly with NPCs. (We just ran into a friendly Ettin last time, for example. They tried very gently and sheepishly to shake us down for a toll, but we just had a friendly chat with them instead and then spent our long rest having a picnic with them. :3:)

I love your game

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Last night I wrapped up a Traveller campaign with my group that we’ve been running off and on for thirty one years.

The PCs had arrived at the secret lair of the 300,000 year old bad guy at the behest of the 300,000 year old good guy and were trying to destroy his archive (think a perfect psionic backup of his memories and personalities) before it could come online. The players were racing the clock as the bad guy was currently trapped in a pocket alternate dimension universe that was shrinking into a singularity as a trap set by 300,000 year old good guy to kill the body of the 300,000 year old bad guy.

So there they were, sneaking through this fantastical land of ultra high technology and they sneak aboard this two million ton displacement dreadnaught, thinking they would steal it and crash it into the big base and destroy everything.

So they leave one guy in some kind of control room as a guard and the rest sneak aboard the dreadnaught which is currently sitting in a floating antigravity dry dock two hundred meters off the ground [because reasons].

As it turns out, Bad Guy had already been crushed in the pocket universe and was actually the dreadnaught itself, turning into a sentient planet-busting warship. It paralyzed the characters on board the ship and begins to monologue with them. But the scout left behind starts to gently caress around with the control station and through a pretty awesome skill chain manages to ding the antigravity controls for various floating structures, including the dry dock.

So he flips the bit and turns off the gravity and I now have to head to google for falling physics, and come across a thing called the Splat Calculator. It turns out that something falling from a height of 200 meters reaches a speed of 225.4 km/h and six million tons of spaceship and dry dock hit the ground with an energy of 11760000000 joules or 2.8 tons of TNT.

The big bad boss is knocked offline momentarily from the impact and after some discussion we agree that everyone will roll d10+4 x 10% damage. That is, each player will take between 50-140% of their total hit points in damage from the impact and ensuing partial collapse of the dreadnaught.

One NPC and one PC is killed outright, two PCs are critically wounded and one PC and one NPC are alive enough to start administering aid to the others. The two remaining drag the rest out of the wreckage as the dreadnaught starts to come back online but is too damaged to fly though it’s guns are operational.

The three escape back to their ship using the chaos of the impact as cover, fly into orbit while getting the poo poo kicked out of their ship as it comes under the guns of the stricken dreadnaught, and then ignite a Star Trigger super bomb just before jumping into hyperspace. The Star Trigger causes this solar system’s sun to go nova, evaporating every planet in this system and annihilating the 300,000 year old bad guy once and for all.

We ended the campaign with the 300,000 year old good guy popping in to say “good work” and then teleporting away, never to be seen again.

All in all, I felt that the last session was rushed, and killing the PC was a bummer. But my group all decided on that damage mechanic and the player was totally cool with his character being killed in the last boss encounter in the last session of the campaign, while destroying a ginormous gently caress-off starship and then blowing everything up in a supernova. Because it’s the only way to be sure, of course.

Because, what sciFi campaign shouldnt end with a supernova and then [almost] everyone living happily ever after?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
According to my DM, if I play a Bard, he's introducing Glory Hole Mimics.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

CobiWann posted:

Much easier to just glue a Bag of Devouring to the other side, you'd think.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

CobiWann posted:

https://twitter.com/MemesDnd/status/1403332084639453184?s=19

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Golden Bee posted:

We had to postpone our fellowship campaign, which was an attempt to save the multi-verse from tyranny and entropy. I played a new character class that I really liked, and can’t compare to another RPG.

Fellowship is incredible.

There's a move that says "when you are in dire need, you may erase one of your bonds to have the person listed in that bond appear at your side."

I used it to make a sentient elephant we met half a dozen sessions ago show up in the middle of our boss fight against a corrupted eldritch entity. 10/10 game.

Otherkinsey Scale fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jun 21, 2021

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Just played a one shot where I was a sentient book that had a raccoon familiar to haul it around through the dungeon.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Isn't that 14 or 15 years old by now? I remember back when people on the 3.5 CharOp forums were trying to make the most useless character possible and accidentally lucked into a psychic sandwich.

DrTempest
Dec 11, 2011

It's not cute. It's all very serious.
"Regurgitating stupid memes from 15 years ago" sounds exactly like a veteran D&D player, to be honest.

As opposed to new players, who love regurgitating stupid memes from 15 days ago.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
Are we allowed to link to specific stories that are recounted elsewhere (e.g. Reddit)? Because I just read a really hosed up one. :stare:

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
I’m sorry, we have a very strict post limit and we have to screen for quality mat- :commissar:
:justpost:

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Preechr posted:

I’m sorry, we have a very strict post limit and we have to screen for quality mat- :commissar:
:justpost:

Okay, making sure.

Before you click this link, I'm giving a content warning for homophobia, censored slurs, neo-nazis, not terribly subtle racism, attempted drugging, attempted kidnapping, and attempted murder.

I present to you a story that goes beyond catpiss: "The Time I Traded My Shoes For My Life".

ZZT the Fifth fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 30, 2021

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Okay, making sure.

Before you click this link, I'm giving a content warning for homophobia, censored slurs, neo-nazis, not terribly subtle racism, attempted drugging, attempted kidnapping, and attempted murder.

I present to you a story that goes beyond catpiss: "The Time I Traded My Shoes For My Life".

Oh, how bad could this--
:stonklol:

The mantra needs updating: "No gaming is better than being torture-murdered by hicks."

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Okay, making sure.

:tviv: I can't stop screaming, holy god in hellven. I think if I went to a house in Hill Have Eyes, AL and they asked me to hand over my keys and phone, I would say "oh hey that reminds me I gotta make one quick call" and see if my truck can break the sound barrier.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Holy goodness what a story.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug
I...really don't want to believe that story's real.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

MelvinBison posted:

I...really don't want to believe that story's real.

Same. I really do not want to believe.

I keep latching on to the fact that it was the Loki player who hosed up the others plans and hoping that was some sort of subtle wink, but goddamn, that story is horrific.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug

the_steve posted:

Same. I really do not want to believe.

I keep latching on to the fact that it was the Loki player who hosed up the others plans and hoping that was some sort of subtle wink, but goddamn, that story is horrific.

OP was planning on playing a Cleric of Baldur. All we needed was a reference to Hod and the parallel would be perfect.

Stealth edit: No, the Loki player was the only one who didn't want him dead. Nevermind.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
You've all done a fantastic job of convincing me to not click that link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

MelvinBison posted:

Stealth edit: No, the Loki player was the only one who didn't want him dead. Nevermind.

Seemed less about whether or not the storyteller died and more about the fact that the Loki player expected to get busted for it.