Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Fruits of the sea posted:

The first Descent deserves a little more credit - like the Babadook, it's using horror conventions to tell a story about something entirely different. Really well done IMO. Shitload of jump scares though, and it would probably have been a better film with a stronger cast and no horror creatures.

I didn't mean to sound too down on it, first movie is perfectly fine horror with the somewhat novel setting of cavediving. It just came out during that stretch of the 2000s where EVERY horror movie had like a required minimum number of jumpscares with one mandatory one right before they smash to the end credits. The most amusing thing about the second one is they retcon how the first one ends to magic up a justification for going back into the caves. The Most Ridiculous spoiler for Descent 2 They give the protagonist temporary amnesia so she doesn't remember the monsters and goes back into the cave to look for her friends :downs:

In some previous 'let's watch scary movies' thread years ago a bunch of goons talked up Lake Mungo and I must have just been in the wrong mood or something because I bounced off of it hard, just nothing scary or creepy about it at all. Having said that I also don't remember too much about it, maybe I'm just due for a more thoughtful rewatch.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I can vouch for this one.

Yeah you would :thunk:

Snipe Tax:

Pookah posted:

Not really supernatural, but Fritt Vilt AKA Cold Prey is a really good slasher movie if you are like me and hate the average slasher-type movie. The characters aren't stupid, nor are they punished with death for being A. teenagers or B. having sex. I love the setting too - abandoned hotel in the middle of nowhere in Norway, in winter.

In other Scandinavian horror movie news, Trollhunter (2010) is a decent little monster movie about riding around in rural Norway 'culling' its secret troll population to keep them hidden from the rest of the world. Some janky CGI here and there but it's still a good time. Yet another Found Footage style flick tho.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jun 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

If you liked Noroi: The Curse check out Occult, by the same director.

It's on YouTube

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
traxis mentioned it on the first page, but i just watched Spring and it's a pretty solid spooky romance with zero jump scares

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

if you’re looking for something spooky check out the last season of game of thrones, it’s spookily bad

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

sugar free jazz posted:

if you’re looking for something spooky check out the last season of game of thrones, it’s spookily bad

I'm fascinated by competent media falling off cliffs and enjoy GOT even more than I did before it exploded. This is the same reason I can't in all good conscience recommend Insidious ITT. Real strong first half then it falls into a goddamn trench at the 45 minute mark. Somehow even the actors get bad.

I've witnessed this phenomena 3 times: GOT. Insidious and Promised Neverland S2. There is never a good reason and I am possessed with wonder.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Haven't seen it in decades, so I'm not sure how it holds up, but Stir of Echoes scared the crap out of me.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

Das Boo posted:

I'm fascinated by competent media falling off cliffs and enjoy GOT even more than I did before it exploded. This is the same reason I can't in all good conscience recommend Insidious ITT. Real strong first half then it falls into a goddamn trench at the 45 minute mark. Somehow even the actors get bad.

There is this movie called Blood Quantum and it has amazing gore practical effects like a modern Brain Dead. It is really good for that first chunk and then it tanks so hard that it's almost impressive.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

caleb posted:

There is this movie called Blood Quantum and it has amazing gore practical effects like a modern Brain Dead. It is really good for that first chunk and then it tanks so hard that it's almost impressive.

YES! Thank you! I'm always on the lookout for more of these.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
There's a Turkish movie called Baskin that I've forgotten almost everything about but a vague sense that it might have been pretty creepy? Has anyone seen it that can confirm or correct that sense?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Takes No Damage posted:

Snipe Tax:

In other Scandinavian horror movie news, Trollhunter (2010) is a decent little monster movie about riding around in rural Norway 'culling' its secret troll population to keep them hidden from the rest of the world. Some janky CGI here and there but it's still a good time. Yet another Found Footage style flick tho.

I'd say that's one of the worst movies I've ever seen

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

for a real horror movie, check out dinner at my mother in law's house. ha!

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I've visited Norway a couple of times so there's some personal novelty there, and how may other Norwegian horror films can you name?

I just finished Creep, if you're tolerant of the found footage style and moderate jump scares it's decent to put on while you eat dinner or something. I didn't really notice it while watching but I think there's only 2 people in the whole movie, everything else is phone calls and suspiciously empty public spaces. I thought it was going to have a cool twist half way through where the camera guy drugs crazy dude's drink. I thought maybe he was the real psycho and everything before had been misdirection. But nope it's just what you think by the obvious setup in act 1.

Das Boo posted:

YES! Thank you! I'm always on the lookout for more of these.

This probably isn't what you mean, but I really like the first half of Death Proof and think the 2nd half is boring as hell. Not even Rosario Dawson's bare feet can save it for me :smith:

Traxis posted:

If you liked Noroi: The Curse check out Occult, by the same director.

It's on YouTube

I do, and I will!

sad question
May 30, 2020

Second Creep is pretty dece too.

Edit: Now that I think about it 1408 was a pretty good King adaptation. The first half is genuinely great at building sense of dread but sadly I guess they wanted to make the second half exciting so it becomes very meh. Still not bad though.

sad question fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jun 19, 2021

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Funky See Funky Do posted:

There's a Turkish movie called Baskin that I've forgotten almost everything about but a vague sense that it might have been pretty creepy? Has anyone seen it that can confirm or correct that sense?

It's creepy, surreal, nightmarish and very gory. I'd describe it as a modern day Fulci, eye trauma and all.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Takes No Damage posted:

I've visited Norway a couple of times so there's some personal novelty there, and how may other Norwegian horror films can you name?

There was a snow nazi zombies movie that was really fun. It may have been Sweden or Finland though. All of those countries blur together for me.

edit: It's Dead Snow and takes place in Norway

sad question posted:

Second Creep is pretty dece too.

Edit: Now that I think about it 1408 was a pretty good King adaptation. The first half is genuinely great at building sense of dread but sadly I guess they wanted to make the second half exciting so it becomes very meh. Still not bad though.

1408 was excellent. Make sure to watch the director's cut/theatrical version. I saw the release version on TV once and the ending sucks. It's also a jump scare.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 19, 2021

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Dead Snow is fun and cheesy, good times.

If we’re talking Scandinavia, Let The Right One In is pretty great. The English language version is... ok.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
The Shrine is good. i guess there are some jump scares, but not really like "cat jumps out of closet" bullshit. the first thirty minutes are a bit corny but it massively improves after that

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Dead Snow is fun and cheesy, good times.

The scene where he tried to throw the molotov cocktail out the window and it crashed into the wall might be the hardest I've laughed at a horror movie.

Also in this vein is Return of the Living Dead, one of my favorite horror movies of all time. The script is smart, the characters are cheesy, the comedy is perfect, the creature designs are fantastic, the music is great and it's the true first instance of running zombies. Can't recommend it enough!

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Castaway. No, not the Tom Hanks movie; the 1986 Oliver Reed movie, in which a wealthy eccentric man hires a woman to spend a year trapped on an island with him. It goes about as well as you would expect a year trapped on an island with Oliver Reed would go.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
texas chainsaw massacre 2 is mostly funny/campy, but there's a really great "being stuck interacting with a person acting real hosed up while you're at work" scene, also a rare film where dennis hopper acts like a loving weirdo but on the side of good

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Thelma is more of a thriller than horror but a great amdy occasionally scary film set in Norway

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Just watched Lake Mungo after recommendations itt and a few other places finally convinced me.

I must have been confusing this with something else because I could have sworn people said it was scary. It’s kind of moody and creepy I guess, but even that’s pretty mild. I’m no tough guy with scary stuff either, I was watching Tale of Two Sisters alone in the middle of the night and had to just stop and finish it the next day. But with this I kept expecting it to ramp up at some point but no, the reveal is still not very impactful I’d say. It’s ok. Maybe you need to already strongly believe in ghosts

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

I noticed in the credits that "dramaturgists" were credited, an not a director or ensemble of directors. This pissed me off way harder than anything that was actually in the movie. Where do these loving freaks get off talking about about "dramaturgy"? There’s a reason you don’t see dramaturgists in Hollywood credits, and that’s cause it’s a fake job.

Rare Exports was a better winter themed northern european-set comedy horror movie for families.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Ok, like everyone else has no doubt suggested, The Wicker Man. Best vacation destination ever, too bad it’s not a real holiday town. Nothing scary in it at all if you were raised an atheist. If you believe sacrificing people in gruesome public pyrotechnic sepulchers is in some way unethical, you may find yourself morally conflicted watching this film. Contains some underage nudity, supposedly simulated but how can you know from a 50 year old movie at this point?

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
I saw Troll Hunter not long ago and it seems like it could have been a knockout movie if they had just, like, changed the entire script.

They try to make trolls feel "real," even explaining turning to stone in sunlight pseudo-scientifically, but also they can apparently smell a person's religious beliefs. This ends up being important and just totally clashes with what the movie is otherwise trying to do.

Mostly though it just lacks good tension and payoff. A troll shows up, the troll guy kills it, end scene. There's a bit where a big troll actually gets the jump on him, knocking him unconscious, and there was this real "oh poo poo" moment where you know the mentor figure is going to die and leave the camera crew alone. But nope, he wakes up and kills the troll. There's even a really big building-sized troll at the end, but he just shoots it with his sunlight gun like all the others. Whatever. I think they had to invent the "government conspiracy" angle because they realized they failed to make the trolls scary in any way.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
Yeah I bounced off troll hunter pretty hard

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Hosts caught me by surprise.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Das Boo posted:

I've witnessed this phenomena 3 times: GOT. Insidious and Promised Neverland S2. There is never a good reason and I am possessed with wonder.

Watch the movie High Tension. I was convinced half way through the movie that it was probably the greatest horror movie I had ever seen, if not one of the best movies I'd ever seen. With just five minutes left, the ending was so loving bad that I actually include it in my "worst movies of all time" list. I cannot express into words how bad the ending is.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jun 20, 2021

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Y’all paid real close attention to troll hunter. All I remember about the movie is "Muslims = Inconclusive". Also the end where they all get murdered by the government because, uh, knowledge of trolls, who seemingly never hurt anybody and keep to themselves and are totally harmless, well, knowing all that could make you way too dangerous for the notoriously murderous Norwegian government to tolerate.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Das Boo posted:

Huh I'm a dumb idiot but I didn't get that vibe at all, I love that movie. Couldn't make it through the sequel though.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Only Australians of a certain age might get this but for the longest time I thought the lady from Insidious was the same lady from Swap Shop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfBNHRHcFrw&t=141s

Also people of the same age might recognize the writers/ghost hunters in Insidious from Recovery. Leigh was the movie critic and Angus was The Enforcer.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

wizard master

sad question
May 30, 2020

Talk of foreign horror films reminded me of Under The Shadow. It's about a family getting hassled by a djinn during Iranian war. It was pretty good. One of the movies where the anxiety of real world situation is as scary as supernatural.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Snowy posted:

Just watched Lake Mungo after recommendations itt and a few other places finally convinced me.

I must have been confusing this with something else because I could have sworn people said it was scary. It’s kind of moody and creepy I guess, but even that’s pretty mild. I’m no tough guy with scary stuff either, I was watching Tale of Two Sisters alone in the middle of the night and had to just stop and finish it the next day. But with this I kept expecting it to ramp up at some point but no, the reveal is still not very impactful I’d say. It’s ok. Maybe you need to already strongly believe in ghosts

Yeah i don't know why people keep calling it scary, it's more of a tragic family tale than anything. What's more, the final twist is a jump scare :eyepop:

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
There's two kinds of scary. There's "AH! A TIGER!" and there's "Oh, everyone I love is going to die and leave me. I'm going to die." Lake Mungo is the latter.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Mooey Cow posted:

What's more, the final twist is a jump scare :eyepop:

In relation to the rest of the movie, yeah, but it’s still not that shocking of a moment.

And yes if it was presented as a supernatural tragedy or something besides horror I think I would have enjoyed it more, I went into it with the wrong expectations.

E:

Funky See Funky Do posted:

There's two kinds of scary. There's "AH! A TIGER!" and there's "Oh, everyone I love is going to die and leave me. I'm going to die." Lake Mungo is the latter.

It’s the mild end of that, even

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I know opinions are quite polarized when it comes to Rob Zombie as a filmmaker, but I personally loved House of 1000 Corpses and The Devil's Rejects.
They probably qualify more as slasher flicks, but both very entertaining.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

check out Nancy’s green bean casserole at the potluck next week if you wanna see real horror

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Huh I'm a dumb idiot but I didn't get that vibe at all, I love that movie. Couldn't make it through the sequel though.

Been a bit, but I'll try to convey how I remember it.

First half was this tight, paranoid story about a family security's being periodically violated by an unknown. They understand little about what's happening or why, so you have this tension of when the next blow's going to come. It's something that can't be locked out or outmaneuvered no matter how they try to prepare. It's abrupt, senseless and angry, It comes to a head when it afflicts one of their children and they can't even rely on the known to help him because this apparently comatose boy is getting up and walking around at night. It's fairly minimal and trends towards the earlier parts of The Exorcist where you feel the desperation of a family trying to control something unknowable.

Then at the halfway point, the movie begins to explain itself. It explains itself for the rest of the film. It takes away the element of the unknown that was used so expertly in the first half and replaces it with a labored backstory of the entity, its relationship to the family, how Ghost World works and you can even travel there! The brief glimpses are replaced with long, displayed shots of theatrically-dressed villains with craaaaazy wide smiles and spooky blood and goddamned Darth Maul listening to Tiny Tim in his butcher shop and snarling at the camera. And I swear the kid was literally chained or caged in there or something?! It's every haunted house I've ever been to at Halloween with unrelated set pieces that are designed for drive-bys. It's also styled very similar to 13 Ghosts, the 90's version.

Anyway, I hear Tiny Tim and think of the first episode of SpongeBob, so I ended up thinking of SpongeBob a lot during that movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Bung
Mar 24, 2005

Get out the pink press threat file
and Um-brrrptzzap the subject.
Australian horror films are great. Alway atmospheric.

The Long Weekend - 1978. Couple with failing relationship hit the 'outback' and nature seems to be turning on them. Definitely odd vibes in places.

Picnic at Hanging rock - 1975