Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Ailumao posted:

A single dose mRNA one is in phase 3 trials now but idk how they'll do efficacy here with basically no cases.

"china leans on indebted countries for test subjects for their untested mRNA imitation vaccine in attempt to quell rising fears on the efficacy of their vaccines."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
"China dabbles in experimental vaccines in desperate attempt to save face after ineffective wave 1 roll-out"

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/HuXijin_GT/status/1405772238276595713

girlboss

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

rules how were allowed to question vaccine reliability only if theyre foreign made

this surely wont have any effect on the public thinking that all news stories about vaccine effectiveness are bald faced lies with an obvious political agenda

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Also, Sinovac outside that one Brazilian trial has been showing much better numbers 84-94%, maybe not as good as an mRNA vaccine but similar to AZ.

Also, it seems like over 140,000 medical personnel were inoculated in Indonesia...if any thing dozens hospitalized really isn’t that bad of a result. That is more or less how they are designed, they aren’t magic bubbles.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 09:54 on Jun 18, 2021

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Ailumao posted:

I mean thats how they're all written. The articles about the Seychelles from a few weeks ago were the same thing basically implying Chinese vaccines aren't worthwhile, but then when you looked at the numbers...

40%~ of vaccinated people in the Seychelles had AZ, so if there was an issue it wouldn't be all on China's shoulders.
80% of all people hospitalized were unvaccinated.

So basically... the vaccines were working pretty much exactly as they were advertised to? Slightly better considering both AZ and the Chinese vaccines don't even advertise 80% efficacy.

They also all seem to ignore the options for most of these places is Chinese vaccines or no vaccines. Brazil's put out numbers that areas with high vaccination rates have seen death rates plummet, though not similar decreases in positive case numbers, which is about what you'd want in an emergency situation.

As someone that's lived here for a while, I'm actually flabbergasted at the relative humility they have about the vaccines lol. Normally it'd be all "ra ra ours are the best" but the lowish efficacy rates (70-something for Sinopharm, 50% ish for Sinovac) are being published locally and the gov has not censored any of the docs saying "we need better vaccines, ours kinda suck compared to other ones".

A single dose mRNA one is in phase 3 trials now but idk how they'll do efficacy here with basically no cases.

e: im kind of assuming the relative quickness to shove off the current vaccines is that the "good" ones all use new mRNA tech so they can just argue they went for the cheaper and more easily produced version. Once an mRNA vaccine is up and running we will probably see a slightly different beat.

you forgot re: seychelles that only a bit over half the total population was vaccinated anyway at the time, so you wouldn’t expect herd immunity with even a 100% effective vaccine at that point!

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Ardennes posted:

Also, Sinovac outside that one Brazilian trial has been showing much better numbers 84-94%, maybe not as good as an mRNA vaccine but similar to AZ.

Also, it seems like over 140,000 medical personnel were inoculated in Indonesia...if any thing dozens hospitalized really isn’t that bad of a result. That is more or less how they are designed, they aren’t magic bubbles.

Yeah I hate these kind of reporting. You got a bunch of medical personals, just use all the information to calculate what's effectiveness against the Delta variant! Show us the number!

Also it sounds like there are not a lot of severe cases in the vaccinated.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Usual suspects bitch about the Chinese space launches then the ISS fails to install a solar battery

How many more times do they want to test the Chinese laser karma

Palladium has issued a correction as of 12:55 on Jun 18, 2021

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Zmej posted:

the china-scare has been the the closest thing to a Jobs-Guarantee program but for dumbass american and european intelligentsia

The intellectual forces of the workers and peasants are growing and getting stronger in their fight to overthrow the bourgeoisie and their accomplices, the educated classes, the lackeys of capital, who consider themselves the brains of the nation. In fact they are not its brains but its poo poo.

V I Lenin

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/aceCourtBot/status/1405543195363008519

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

what about the sputnik vaccine is that any good or have the dastardly russians used maskirovka and dezinformatsiya to trick gullible third worlders into getting saline injections

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

lobster shirt posted:

what about the sputnik vaccine is that any good or have the dastardly russians used maskirovka and dezinformatsiya to trick gullible third worlders into getting saline injections

it's the highest efficacy non-mRNA vaccine at 92% i think, while also not being expensive, which mRNA vaccines usually very much are

insane people are calling for an embargo of it or whatever because ~russia~ tho

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

""Biden’s plan to keep China in check relies on Manila | Financial Times" posted:

That means Manila remains crucial. “The maths for the US is brutal. China dominates the South China Sea in every domain,” said Poling. “The only way you can change that maths is long-range fires from territory nearby. Lose the Philippines and you lose the South China Sea.”
Degending are Freedoms in the, checks notes, South China Sea.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

genericnick posted:

excuse me I think you mean the West Philippine Sea

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

genericnick posted:

Nah. US can force the (mid-range missile? The link is paywalled) down Japan's throat.

However I can see the State Dept and the CIA is totally mobilized to "win Philippines back!"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
also Greg Poling keeps loving showing up in any discussion about the SCS because he's a senior fellow for the "Asia Maritime Transparency Initiative" of the Center for Strategic and International Studies, a Washington-based, MIC-funded think tank

these are the same people that bring up "Chinese maritime militia" at every opportunity

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

Nah. US can force the (mid-range missile? The link is paywalled) down Japan's throat.

However I can see the State Dept and the CIA is totally mobilized to "win Philippines back!"

I can recommend the Firefox paywall bypass extension. The article makes the point that, yes, they can disperse assets in Japanese waters to be less vulnerable to Chinese missiles, and yes they have big bases in Singapore and Guam, but what about the south??????? Love the Pentagon.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

gradenko_2000 posted:

also Greg Poling keeps loving showing up in any discussion about the SCS because he's a senior fellow for the "Asia Maritime Transparency Initiative" of the Center for Strategic and International Studies, a Washington-based, MIC-funded think tank

these are the same people that bring up "Chinese maritime militia" at every opportunity

I would love being paid millions being a chickenhawk spamming collective pronouns

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Meanwhile, needless to say, freedom, democracy, and human rights in China have not expanded. They have been severely curtailed as China has moved in a more authoritarian direction, and China has become increasingly aggressive on the global stage. The pendulum of conventional wisdom in Washington has now swung from being far too optimistic about the opportunities presented by unfettered trade with China to being far too hawkish about the threats posed by the richer, stronger, more authoritarian China that has been one result of that increased trade.

The Chinese government is surely guilty of many policies and practices that I oppose and that all Americans should oppose: the theft of technology, the suppression of workers’ rights and the press, the repression taking place in Tibet and Hong Kong, Beijing’s threatening behavior toward Taiwan, and the Chinese government’s atrocious policies toward the Uyghur people. The United States should also be concerned about China’s aggressive global ambitions.

lol check out who the author is

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/china/2021-06-17/washingtons-dangerous-new-consensus-china

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
jeez bernie maybe you shouldn't have been a bitch baby moron and used your one chance at chipping away imperial power instead of talking up joe

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Raskolnikov38 posted:

jeez bernie maybe you shouldn't have been a bitch baby moron and used your one chance at chipping away imperial power instead of talking up joe

beep boop

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

https://twitter.com/getfiscal/status/1100259485480898561?s=20

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

gently caress off old man!!!!

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

hank hill voice dangit bernie

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

lol loving theft of technology

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
completely forgot about Iranian elections today, anything interested possible to happen?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Bernie Panders

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/xtBpbxG.mp4

Xi!

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

sexpig by night posted:

completely forgot about Iranian elections today, anything interested possible to happen?

they basically cleared a path for raisi to win. really the only interesting thing will be to see how banning like every other candidate with a shot of winning depresses voter turnout. i think i saw polling last week that indicated something like sub 40% turnout was expected, which would be extremely embarrassing.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
One thing to see is the turn out of the Iranian election. I don't know if the number will be announced.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

There's a lot of talk in the west about Raisi being a potential successor for Khamenei and it's a great way to know that they have no idea what they're talking about

Raisi isn't even a maraji lol

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Given the external geopolitical environment, it's a pretty good bet that Iran will swing back to a hardliner president.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Like I know you don't have to be a marji to be Ayatollah but it would be a bad idea to try to do that imo. You don't have Khomeini's approval or support from the big names of the revolution to fall back on anymore, and I don't think Khamenei has the pull with the public to do something like that if it's a managed transfer.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/CNN/status/1405805007732150275

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

actually, these are criminals who were caught mining crypto

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Mantis42 posted:

actually, these are criminals who were caught mining crypto

Is this unironic

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Mao begins.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
I've denied everything man, I've denied every thing.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/AlanRMacLeod/status/1406167113966948355?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

lol, this joke will never get old