Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Dr. Snark posted:

Those numbers sound good for people?

Sounds good to me!

Crazycryodude posted:

It uses up all our pressurized climate controlled cargo space for any things and/or people we might loot that need those conditions to stay useful, but if we're looting a long-dead ghost ship that's been sailing out in the Oort for decades anything useful likely doesn't need that so we're probably fine to fill it all up with angry riflepersons

Way I see it, when investigating the spooky ghost colony of a group of religious fanatics who may have mysteriously vanished, wouldn't you want a squad of power armor equipped soldiers ready to nuke the site from orbit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I don't think there's anything particularly mysterious about them all being dead. Equipment malfunctions.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I wouldn’t be surprised if they were still alive. They specifically prepared for long-term life in that rock. I mean, a bunch of us out here survived too and we weren’t even planning to be cut off from the world outside our little cloud of rocks.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Fly Casual

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Pirate Radar posted:

I wouldn’t be surprised if they were still alive. They specifically prepared for long-term life in that rock. I mean, a bunch of us out here survived too and we weren’t even planning to be cut off from the world outside our little cloud of rocks.

Selection bias. The vast majority of people out here didn't survive.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Do we have any way to send a landing party if we don't bring the Mobile Infantry with us?

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Wargames The only way to win is to play... I mean conduct completely serious operational maneuvers.

BwenGun
Dec 1, 2013

Crazycryodude posted:

It uses up all our pressurized climate controlled cargo space for any things and/or people we might loot that need those conditions to stay useful, but if we're looting a long-dead ghost ship that's been sailing out in the Oort for decades anything useful likely doesn't need that so we're probably fine to fill it all up with angry riflepersons

Worst comes to worst we can leave the Marines on the comet whilst we ferry survivors/supplies back home on the Ashes. Also useful as it will mean anyone else who comes sniffing around won't be able to take posession whilst we're not in orbit.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Well the choice is very clearly Fly Casual. I’ll run it tomorrow at the earliest so you have until then to work on it. At the moment I intend to follow Dr Snark’s post.

Fray fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jun 18, 2021

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Added a couple things, which have been bolded. I would consider pulling the Chertopolokh back to the Ark once the Ashes has arrived there. We're gonna want to be able to take as much loot from the Ark as possible/provide as much assistance as possible to establish our bonafides as good Solar citizens.

Operation Centaur Party mk1.1:

Stage 0: Load a portion of the Ashes cargo areas with emergency rescue supplies/repair equipment to restore life support. The Ark is flying silent and could be in distress/need repairs once we arrive if everyone died from broken life support.
Stage 1: The Ashes departs from Hektor at 30% thrust antisunward with Red Squadron, two landing craft, and the Assault Battalion on board until it reaches 30m km from any populated body. If challenged by any local powers, inform them that the Ashes is currently undergoing a shakedown cruise.
--Stage 1a: The Chertopolokh follows the Ashes at equal speed once it is 30m km out from Hektor.
Stage 2: Upon exiting presumed sensor ranges of any populated bodies as detailed in Stage 1, the Ashes is to go to max thrust on an intercept course for Chiron. (changed from direct course)
--Stage 2a: At the same time, the Chertopolokh will begin patrolling the general area between the Ashes' vector to Chiron and the rest of the cluster. If any ships are detected heading for the Ashes, the Chertopolokh is to immediately move to support the Ashes in potential combat so long as it would have enough fuel to return to Hektor afterwards.
Stage 3: This stage will depend on the status of the Ark. Please note that the below are not necessarily mutually exclusive, for example ii and iv could both go into effect.
i. If the comet has been overrun by pirates, we are to extirpate them and take it by force.
ii. If the colony is largely or completely deserted, the From the Ashes will begin salvage efforts. The Chertopolokh will continue its patrol until operations conclude or the ship reaches minimal fuel levels needed to return to Hektor.
iii. If the colony is still functional, diplomatic channels are to be established immediately upon contact. Said negotiations should particularly focus on Chiron/the Ark's close proximity to Hektor in the coming days.
iv. If the colony is in immediate need of assistance, the CO on site (Fray as he's playing this) may, at their discretion, provide technical, engineering, and other support deemed necessary to assist/save the residents of the Ark.
v. If the colony has people in need of refuge due to the collapse of the colony/lack of sufficient life support/other exigent circumstances, the CO (Fray, again) may, at their discretion, may leave some or all of the ground forces to secure the Comet while those who need assistance are transferred to the Ashes for transit to Hektor.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 18, 2021

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Looks good to me. How many shuttles/troopers do you think are good to have along for backup purposes?

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

wedgekree posted:

Looks good to me. How many shuttles/troopers do you think are good to have along for backup purposes?

It's already been included in the plan - 1 assault battalion, 2 shuttles, making it 2 trips max to get our boys on the ground for looting stealing rescue purposes.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Saros has been kind enough to provide us a channel on his Discord server which we've used for Aurora before. I might liveplay things in it like he used to.

https://discord.gg/TeY8YTuc3s

Dr. Snark posted:

I'm prepared to throw my lot in with this plan as well, it makes a lot of sense and gives us plenty of plausible deniability for anything insane that happens around Chiron.

On a different note, Fray could you let us know what traits our officers have? I wanna see mine for proper RPing if I can.

Commander Dr. Snark is vegetarian, easily confused, and suspicious!

wedgekree posted:

In favor of Fly Casual so far just as we don't want to overcomplicate things and better to get an idea a to what sort of responses we get on stuff and how the other 'powers' in the region respond, so let's not do anything that might make them respond to us more aggressively.

Also randomly for future does running exercises have any sort of 'mechanical' benefit or just a fluff thing? Ie, does the ship/crew get XP?

There's Crew Grade and Fleet Training. Crew Grade is gradually improved by the CO and XO training ratings, and improves some things like weapon rolls for that ship.

Fleet Training is something that comes from running exercises. I've turned this off cause there's a silly number of factions and fleets I'd have to manage it for, and uh, no.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.

Fray posted:

Commander Dr. Snark is vegetarian, easily confused, and suspicious!

...well okay then

i think hes gonna make that italian guy look like a military genius by comparison :v:

either that or hes gonna be the conspiracy theorist of the fleet :tinfoil:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Watch every character have the vegetarian trait because where the gently caress are we gonna get meat out here?

Don't @ me about "cannibal" that trait stays hidden

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Crazycryodude posted:

H rations are a spacer standbye

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

We trade with neighbors for long pork. Dunno where they get it but I shake with excitement just thinking about it.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

habeasdorkus posted:

i. If the comet has been overrun by pirates, we are to extirpate them and take it by force.

I think WE are the pirates today. At least right now. If we steal enough stuff we can become a Space Banana Republic by taking over the main source of fuel in the area.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

They were dead when we got there. Everyone remember that.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Pretty sure we are a government now, no matter what anybody says. Sometimes we take fruit from trees we don't own, sure. But pirates cut down the whole tree, future fruit and oxygen be damned.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Gridlocked posted:

I think WE are the pirates today. At least right now. If we steal enough stuff we can become a Space Banana Republic by taking over the main source of fuel in the area.

We can issue ourselves a letter of marque and make ourselves privateers if we want.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Crazycryodude posted:

Watch every character have the vegetarian trait because where the gently caress are we gonna get meat out here?

We're probably following "Ethics for Tomorrow" out here in that regard.

Innocent_Bystander
May 17, 2012

Wait, missile production is my responsibility?

Oh.

Crazycryodude posted:

Part of the ship, part of the stew.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Dr. Snark posted:

i think hes gonna make that italian guy look like a military genius by comparison :v:

either that or hes gonna be the conspiracy theorist of the fleet :tinfoil:
Well, now I want to see what traits the simulations assigned to me.

Most likely sexy, stylish and best captain ever.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
That only one on the list was Zapp Brannigan, whatever that means, sir.

BwenGun
Dec 1, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

They were dead when we got there. Everyone remember that.

It's just one of life's weird coincidences that the entire comet committed suicide by having stuff we needed.

Also as long as we have a flag and they don't I'm pretty sure we can take everything nice and legally.

Crazycryodude posted:

Bug burgers?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Bugs aren't meat they're a strange ambulatory form of fungus. Bugs are made out of chitin, fungi are made out of chitin, they're obviously the same thing and nobody can prove me wrong because cladistics died with Earth.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

That Italian Guy posted:

Naturally, sir. I wouldn't expect otherwise.

(:ssh: I'm guessing one of my traits is "long-suffering" or something?)

BwenGun posted:

It's just one of life's weird coincidences that the entire comet committed suicide by having stuff we needed.

Also as long as we have a flag and they don't I'm pretty sure we can take everything nice and legally.

It's after the apocalypse, "legality" is kind of a hazy concept that boils down to "whatever our neighbors are willing and able to enforce on us"

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Pretty sure having a monopoly on violence in [designated area] makes us th state and also morally correct in our actions.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

That Italian Guy posted:

Not joking, wedgekree has "Nepotistic" and you have "Will not listen to advice."

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

Fray posted:

Not joking, wedgekree has "Nepotistic" and you have "Will not listen to advice."

Edit: Misunderstood what those traits were. Holy poo poo that's loving amazing.

Dr. Snark fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 19, 2021

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

No rp from. Me rn. Put my name in the list so I'll come up with the character eventually.

Anyways, I think habeusdorkus plan is great.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

First leg of the plan has been executed. Will run it more later before writing up. The play-by-play is in Discord but please keep the thread unspoiled until I update it.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Fray posted:

I have to get someone related to me in charge of programming the simulator.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

On second thought I will write it up to where we left off. Y'all can talk about it until I run more tomorrow.

21 October 2153

It was eerie to watch those enormous engines spew flame without also hearing the roar, Dr. Chloe Iserjay (aka The Transhumanist) thought to herself. From a catwalk of the dockyard, she watched the torch recede as her life's work sped off without her. When she first set foot on Nineveh nearly thirty years ago, she had found a dead, pathetic thing. A ship from which humans would have one day gazed at the rings of Neptune, but robbed of that majesty by the war. Robbed of its dream, just like Iserjay had been. She had fallen in love that day, and ever since had spent more time aboard than ashore. Every last space on that ship exhibited the work of her hands. System by system, deck by deck, engine by engine, Iserjay and her people had given Nineveh purpose in the new world. Only years later did Iserjay understand that From the Ashes had done the same for her.

She had stood serenely through every agonizing second of that morning's launch ceremony. It was the moment that she gave away her best friend. The people were ecstatic and appreciative, but they didn't understand. Neither did the sailors and soldiers who would use Ashes to kill, and would maybe die with her. Not even Dias did. But her friend had purpose now, so Iserjay had stood on the dais and clenched her jaw as Chaplain Skavenlord recited "Bestow Your Blessings in the Void." As if that ship belonged to God! gently caress God. No, Ashes belonged to her.

-------------------

Operation Centaur Party Mk1.1 commences. Ashes sets off roughly anti-spinward, alone with Red Squadron and the marines in her belly. The 42 Mkm to the waypoint will require about 1d18h at 30% thrust.

PING. About 11 hours out from Hektor, an active sensor contact appears near the wretchedly poor colony of Ajax. You know this ship well: Ajax's lone combat ship apparently patrolling around the colony. You point a comm laser at them and identify yourselves with the planned cover story. A few minutes later, their sensor shuts down.

About 45min later the Ajax picket goes active for another couple minutes. You can see they are a bit farther from you, and are now burning much harder away from you with heading 100 (0 will be "up" in all commentary). About two hours later you receive a general broadcast from Ajax colony.

Attention aggressive ship: Any closer approach to this asteroid will be considered as a hostile act. Back the gently caress off.

This naturally causes some curious looks on the bridge. You're moving away from them, after all.

Mere moments after the broadcast, a new active sensor contact appears in roughly the same spot you last saw the Ajax boat. It furiously hammers out pings. The Ajax contact, now back in orbit of the colony, then opens up again with a cacophony of its own.

What the hell is all this? Fleet Commander Kerath (aka Sniper4625) elects to tightbeam a query at the colony. A reply comes shortly, again as a general unencrypted broadcast:

It's fine, they won't really do anything. They just want to swing their dicks around as usual.

Apparent Ajax is having a little spat with someone. The bickering subsides as you proceed as planned.

A few hours later, you are about halfway to the waypoint, and a contact pops up on your passive thermals. It's the second ship from before, burning hard with heading 275 (that's "left"). You surmise that they saw you while they and Ajax were yelling at each other, and afterwards set off on a similar track. You're hotter than them, so unless their thermals are poo poo they can see you too.

Command concludes, based on the incident near Ajax, that a firm hand is needed with these rude fellows.

Hello there. We see you and our ship is armed with a fighter compliment and heavy weapons. Back off.

A reply comes promptly. Attention Nineveh [apparently they know you by her old name]. This is the League Navy vessel Miltiades. Transmit flight plan and purpose of travel. Over.

Command sends back the same pre-packaged bullshit about your "shakedown cruise."

Minutes tick by... Finally: Miltiades to Nineveh. You are permitted to proceed with the provided flight plan. Miltiades out.

The thermal contact disappears from the plot. The Achillean has reduced his thrust; as a result you no longer pick him up.

You proceed onward without deviation. The remainder of the leg is uneventful. You arrive at the waypoint for your planned turn and hard burn towards Chiron. Chertopolokh will depart and follow Ashes' footsteps.

-------------

I'll continue tomorrow. You can discuss additional actions or deviations to the plan if you wish.

Fray fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jun 20, 2021

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

If we had a rock killer nuke I'd kick it out the airlock on a ballistic trajectory towards Achilles. gently caress those dudes.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

habeasdorkus posted:

If we had a rock killer nuke I'd kick it out the airlock on a ballistic trajectory towards Achilles. gently caress those dudes.

They deserve worse. Send out a probe holding some AOL CD's that have Win ME and Clippy on them.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
That was some solid storytelling, looking forward to seeing how this goes.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Now can we deploy and run operational drills? Pretty please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Steady as she goes, lads, so far so good.