Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
After playing much more one criticism I have of PW3 is that any sort of attack knocks you out of any combo you're trying to do. I don't mind having strong attacks break you out of combos and I guess it's fine if gun attacks do it too (kind of like how archers were in the old DW games) but it's really irritating to try and pull off a combo only to get smacked out of it because some mook hit you with a regular attack. Maybe there's a skill that prevents this from happening later on but if so I haven't seen it/can't get it yet.

Also got a game over in the escape from Water 7 because I was so focused on beating Aokiji that Zoro got defeated. The whole "panty thief" thing is loving weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I personally think the PW games are overrated and are pretty mediocre all round.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I keep reading that in my head as Pynasty Warriors instead of Pirate Warriors and giggling.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Nasty Warriors

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I tried that Samurai Warriors 5 demo out on PS5 and thought it was pretty and alright. It's still a little jarring though to see everyone's character changed so much.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

When I was 15 the guy at Funcoland showed me that there was a typo on the store label so it read “Da Nasty Warriors”

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

PureRok posted:

I personally think the PW games are overrated and are pretty mediocre all round.

I think that's a fair criticism honestly, it's fun enough but I wouldn't call it better than other Warriors games. It's mostly just for people who really like One Piece, which I do. It's fun to see the movesets they come up with for the characters. So far Smoker is my favorite character to play as, dude just seems like his moveset is absolutely nuts. The most underwhelming is probably Nico Robin, but her Devil Fruit power is definitely one of the more difficult ones to make a moveset for, I still don't really like playing as her at any rate. Tashigi is pretty underwhelming too.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Twelve by Pies posted:

I think that's a fair criticism honestly, it's fun enough but I wouldn't call it better than other Warriors games. It's mostly just for people who really like One Piece, which I do. It's fun to see the movesets they come up with for the characters. So far Smoker is my favorite character to play as, dude just seems like his moveset is absolutely nuts. The most underwhelming is probably Nico Robin, but her Devil Fruit power is definitely one of the more difficult ones to make a moveset for, I still don't really like playing as her at any rate. Tashigi is pretty underwhelming too.

I mean it's hard to make a moveset for Tashigi since she has only ever done like... Three things.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Yeah none of her moves have names either unlike all the other characters, really shows that the devs were just kinda flying by the seat of their pants since there wasn't really anything to draw on.

I was wondering where Tashigi's alternate costume comes from and apparently her and Smoker switched bodies at some point in the storyline. I had to know so I immediately went to search for clips on Youtube and was disappointed that they did the "characters swap voices when they swap bodies" thing. Your vocal chords don't switch when your body switches!

I dunno it's a long running series so maybe they thought people would get confused if they kept their original voices, or maybe they just had no faith in the VAs being able to imitate how the other character speaks. Still bugs me though. At least JLU didn't fall prey to that when Luthor and the Flash switched.

Anyway about AoC I still don't know how to get the Relic Analysis or Material Properties Battle Records which is kind of killing the EX Lab progress for me, the other ones I seem to be getting just fine by fighting battles.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Infinity Gaia posted:

I mean it's hard to make a moveset for Tashigi since she has only ever done like... Three things.
Two-thirds of the Hyrule Warriors cast says hi.

They made a moveset for Agitha, who only ever collected bugs, and for Midna's true form, who appeared for about ten seconds in the ending of Twilight Princess.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I liked Tashigi because you can cancel all her moves so that every attack is just a constant, huge vortex hitbox at the speed of light.

PsyClops
Jun 15, 2000

Tae posted:

I liked Tashigi because you can cancel all her moves so that every attack is just a constant, huge vortex hitbox at the speed of light.

Yeah, PW3 Tashigi is an absolute murder blender, once you understand how to use her unique action to cancel combo strings.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I like that Tashigi's little unimportant animation of taking off and putting on her glasses actually affects the clarity of the map as well.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Fumaofthelake posted:

When I was 15 the guy at Funcoland showed me that there was a typo on the store label so it read “Da Nasty Warriors”

Castlevania III Warriors

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

kirbysuperstar posted:

Castlevania III Warriors
I'd buy a Castlevania Warriors. Get on it, Konami!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Castlevania Warriors Pachislots

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I have zero knowledge or affinity for One Piece but I v much enjoyed PW3. Ivankov and Caesar Clown were both a lot of fun to play

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I still want a Disgaea warriors. It's such a perfect setting.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Only if they let you grind everything and have amillion billion levels.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

No DLC characters for Samurai Warriors 5. KT wants to make Samurai Warriors 6 and have it star Hideyoshi Toyotomi.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Intriguing approach. I guess that means we'll then get SW7 starring Ieyasu?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

SW8: Sanada remastered

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

So since the game's out in Japan, I was curious: The official website implies that there is just one linear campaign story without any choices beyond maybe who is controlled in the battles and every other mode was a thin grind with very sporatic moments of dialogue.

Is there much more to 5?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Commander Keene posted:

Two-thirds of the Hyrule Warriors cast says hi.

They made a moveset for Agitha, who only ever collected bugs, and for Midna's true form, who appeared for about ten seconds in the ending of Twilight Princess.

Agitha was a variant of Okuni's moveset. Midna's on the other hand was seemingly an original.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Arbite posted:

So since the game's out in Japan, I was curious: The official website implies that there is just one linear campaign story without any choices beyond maybe who is controlled in the battles and every other mode was a thin grind with very sporatic moments of dialogue.

Is there much more to 5?

Ive seen screenshots of alternate history levels, though how many there are i dont know

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
There’s a new trailer for DW9E:

https://youtu.be/hH7h0jv9EvE

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

RoyalScion posted:

New Empires game on PC. YESSSS!
Please be good. Please be good.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Why is there there a numeral 8?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

piL posted:

Why is there there a numeral 8?

Because in japan, this was called Shin Sangokumusou to differentiate it from the fighting game it was based off of. When brought westward, they billed it as a sequel to that fighting game, and it has been off by one ever since.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh
The numbering being off by one feels like such a throwback to the earlier video game days where no one would notice the numbers were different inside and outside Japan. I guess at this point it's not worth it to try to fix.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
Samurai Warriors 4 II should have been released as Samurai Warriors 5 so that series numbering can be hosed too.

Orochi is hosed too btw - Orochi 2 is actually just a subtitle and not a full sequeal, so Orochi 3 here is Orochi 2 there.

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

And thus, the very first "Warriors" game isn't even a part of the Warriors genre.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Unlucky7 posted:

Because in japan, this was called Shin Sangokumusou to differentiate it from the fighting game it was based off of. When brought westward, they billed it as a sequel to that fighting game, and it has been off by one ever since.

Holy crap, this explains so much

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

RoyalScion posted:

Oof. I'd like the warriors games to be good again, but uh.... The trailer does not fill me with confidence.

Will have to wait and see. Maybe I'm just becoming a grumpy old man or something, but I've not felt satisfied with a warriors game since Hyrule warriors. Couldn't explain why.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
now that sw5 has been out in japan for a while do we know if it's any good?

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Drakenel posted:

Oof. I'd like the warriors games to be good again, but uh.... The trailer does not fill me with confidence.

I mean, at its core it is still DW9.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
DW9 was begging to be made into an Empires game, so I'm glad they're finally doing it.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
That's some great tearing on the official trailer video there. Guess that's it running on PS5 there as when I briefly tried the main game the screen was constantly tearing no matter what was visible.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
I platinum'd Dynasty Warriors 9 a couple weeks ago to get ready for the film on netflix.

I just wanna say DW9 was awful and I'm glad Empires is ditching open-world... though I don't know if I want to even play it.

It'll be nice if PS5 gets rid of the loading times though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Revitalized posted:

I platinum'd Dynasty Warriors 9 a couple weeks ago to get ready for the film on netflix.

I just wanna say DW9 was awful and I'm glad Empires is ditching open-world... though I don't know if I want to even play it.

It'll be nice if PS5 gets rid of the loading times though.

What compelled you to plat DW9?