Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

what "doesn't make sense" about the GTI?

running costs and repairs, long standing stereotypes about reliability and gremlins vs something Japanese.

my dad has dailied a Mk2 Jetta and a ‘09 A4, and my parents have owned a ‘97 Mk3 Cabrio as a ‘fun runabout car’ since like 2011, and all three earned reputations as charming and enjoyable to drive-but problematic and costly to maintain lemons, in some cases with serious design/manufacturing flaws in critical areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I mean, my MK7.5 GTI needed two replacement turbos, each after about 30-40k kms. I sold it when the warranty was up.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

My personal anecdote is my 2017 GTI has needed nothing but fluids.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I used to work on VWs and other German poo poo to keep a roof over my head. My daily is a 2018 Elantra GT Sport, just sayin’

That said, an Audi S3 would have been in my garage if values had been lower when I was buying.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
same

also some mods, definitely needed some mods

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

My personal anecdote is my 2017 GTI has needed nothing but fluids.

Blood is a fluid

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Rhyno posted:

Blood is a fluid

cash is liquid, too!

Ok Comboomer posted:

running costs and repairs, long standing stereotypes about reliability and gremlins vs something Japanese.

my dad has dailied a Mk2 Jetta and a ‘09 A4, and my parents have owned a ‘97 Mk3 Cabrio as a ‘fun runabout car’ since like 2011, and all three earned reputations as charming and enjoyable to drive-but problematic and costly to maintain lemons, in some cases with serious design/manufacturing flaws in critical areas.

it's definitely going to cost you more than a Mazda3 over its lifetime - whether the additional fun is worth it is up to you.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

traded a mazda 3 hatch for a mk7 R

would absolutely do it again

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Enos Cabell posted:

e: should mention a buddy of mine has a 2021 Mazda 3 in that gorgeous soul red color, and it is quite a bit sportier than the 14 for sure. still lacking features that would make it a "hot" hatch, great car though

I'd have said it was the other way around - the 4th gen is more refined but less 'sporty' than the 3rd gen was. Same engines, more comfort orientated suspension and more weight.

Well aside from the turbo I guess but while that is quicker I wouldn't say it's sporty either, especially because it only comes with the auto.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Speaking of, what is a realistic lifespan of a GTI anyway? My 17 is up to a hair over 60k and it’s got me thinking. Never had a real
Issue with it so far, but I also drove my Jeep and the wife’s Civic right up to 200k before selling them. I’ve seen 160k online but I’ve no idea if there is any weight to it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Warbird posted:

Speaking of, what is a realistic lifespan of a GTI anyway? My 17 is up to a hair over 60k and it’s got me thinking. Never had a real
Issue with it so far, but I also drove my Jeep and the wife’s Civic right up to 200k before selling them. I’ve seen 160k online but I’ve no idea if there is any weight to it.

I'm seeing some 210-250s in my area, if you can dream it you can be it

Joking aside, if I bought any new or properly-maintained recent model year car in 2021 and it didn't get me at least to 200k with a reasonable/avg amount of component wear/service/replacement I'd be feeling ripped off, tbh. I feel like 200k used to be a big milestone for cars in the 1990s, and nowadays it's like "2nd or 3rd or 4th owner" territory.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 17, 2021

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Ok Comboomer posted:

Ok, it’s been about a week and I still definitely need a new (used) car. Do Mazda3s count as hot hatches? Anything I should know about them? I used to daily a 2011 2.5 manual for a while and that was a really fun car, and it looks like the newer models since then have greatly upped the QoL features and fit+finish.

How does something like a manual Mazda3 stack up against a GTI in terms of running costs? What about “sportiness”, etc?

I had a 2016 GTI that I bought new and my current daily is a pretty immaculate 2014 Mazda 3 hatch that I picked up for a deal a few months ago.

It is not a hot hatch at all, but it is a nice place to be as a daily driver. Overall handling can be described as it feels surprisingly willing to rotate into a corner on the brakes and not real floaty. Interior is seems interesting and nicer than a Corolla or Civic of similar vintage. I feel like they are a really good deal for what they are as a daily driver; if a Mazdaspeed 3 in this generation existed I'd probably buy one. FiST is too nervous and spartan inside, GTI is too tame in stock form.

Just get the GTI, if you can.

I type this as I look at a certain 31k mile STH class 2017 GTI for sale in Tennessee for $18k asking price with a wavetrac, tune, dp, rear bar, ST XTA coilovers, and 18x9 wheels all around.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 17, 2021

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
Yeah the new Mazda3 Turbo hatch is kind of disappointing from a sportiness standpoint. They are also scarce at least in my region so not sure I could even test drive one if I wanted.

Still looking for the right 2018+ Mk7 GTI to replace my 2014 Mk6.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I have had a great time with the GTI, I have some small complaints, but the car is fun to drive and it accepts a lot more power with no complaints if one day you wanted to add it. I think all my minor issues are with the way the DSG is tuned, but also I had a manual and I wasn't that fond of the clutch. The only other thing is that wheel hop is a thing that happens but you get used to when to apply power after a while to avoid it but I wish it was AWD but that's what the R is for I guess.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The dog bone insert helps a lot as does coding out the "starting vibration reduction" and "torque limitation", but yeah, FWD.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Personally I think the GTI at multiple different brackets is the most 'logical' choice for a practical daily that's fairly reliable (at least ones that are new enough and low enough miles to be considered for a daily) but still is fun to drive and engaging to provide a bit of experience for someone that likes driving. They seem to always "make the most sense" to me heh. Multiple times while I was searching for my silly manual E91 I thought to myself I should just be reasonable and buy a manual GTI and it will be perfect and everything I really want/need out of a car.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
just buy a 4motion GSW/alltrack and chip it, its what all the smart kids are doing

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

dissss posted:

I'd have said it was the other way around - the 4th gen is more refined but less 'sporty' than the 3rd gen was. Same engines, more comfort orientated suspension and more weight.

Well aside from the turbo I guess but while that is quicker I wouldn't say it's sporty either, especially because it only comes with the auto.

I guess I was only a passenger in the 21, so I'll def take your word on that.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

I guess I was only a passenger in the 21, so I'll def take your word on that.

That’s what all of the press, etc has said about it too for a few years now. And now that the model’s moved to AWD and the manual’s been deprecated it’s pretty obvious that Mazda’s gonna stay there with the 3 before they replace the drivetrain with whatever electric gubbins they’re working on with Toyota, and that’ll become the new TOTL/“performance”/touring/etc trim.

FWIW, I found the 2011 to be an absolute peach to drive minus the ridiculous blindspots and the demented clown body cladding. Obviously not nearly as surgical as the E36 I was dailying beforehand, and definitely not RWD, but a heck of a lot faster and more power (any car would’ve done that, but still). Definitely a fun car to drive hard, at least to me, echoing BlackMk4’s take on the 2014 that it’s easy enough to rotate and feel confident doing so, esp once you get really familiar with it.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 17, 2021

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

TheBacon posted:

Personally I think the GTI at multiple different brackets is the most 'logical' choice for a practical daily that's fairly reliable (at least ones that are new enough and low enough miles to be considered for a daily) but still is fun to drive and engaging to provide a bit of experience for someone that likes driving. They seem to always "make the most sense" to me heh. Multiple times while I was searching for my silly manual E91 I thought to myself I should just be reasonable and buy a manual GTI and it will be perfect and everything I really want/need out of a car.

Agreed. When I went from a GTI to a Cayman, there were multiple times where I regretted not also keeping the GTI. That hatch with the seats down can hold a ton of stuff, and a tune really makes the car a joy to drive.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007
To tack onto this car buying bit, I bought a 2017 GTI after I wrecked my 2015 Mazda 3. Definitely a fun trade-up and would recommend as a nice daily driver. My anecdotal contribution to the VW reliability thread is that I haven't needed anything other than fluids as well, and mine is tuned with quite a few bolt-ons. Coming up on 40k miles, so we'll see!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
My 2021 GTI has 1300km on it and a couple times I've had to reboot the infotainment to get the audio to work. Other than that I love it, and I'm not even through the break in period yet so I haven't had a chance to really open it up. My sister has a 2012 Mazda 3 and it's a cool little car but I wouldn't call it a hot hatch.

is it true I should get an oil change after I finish the break in?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
crosspisting my latest GTI rant. I should add that the market is looking super stupid right now.

Like, if I go on autotrader and set my max budget to $22k then the most expensive car I get at $21900 is a 2016 S with 29k miles. And that seams dumb as poo poo when I can find five 2016s and five more 2017s between $15 and $19k and between 30k and 95k miles, and there doesn’t appear to be much rhyme or reason as to why one costs $16k and the other costs $18,999 beyond “that’s what they decided to list it as”.

Edit: spelled “crossposting” wrong, but honestly it works better like that.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Ok so. I think I want a GTI. I think I want a manual GTI. With the Plaid. I think I’m going to go out and shop for a car, and when I do so, I will be looking for GTIs and I’m ready to stop looking for other cars.

The question now is which GTI? And how do I find the right one?

My budget is ideally $20k or less. Preferably even under $18k. Basically I’ve got a down payment of ~$8k between insurance payout on my old car and budgeted cash and I’d like to finance in the ballpark of $10k, but less is always better and a little more could potentially be put out for the right car.

TLDR, I’m looking at cars as cheap as $13k and as expensive as $20-21k with a goal to stay ideally in the $15-19k range. I’m seeing a lot of private sellers that I don’t know how to assess and a lot of dealerships that inspire differing levels of confidence.

How old? Should I look for Performance Pack? Should its absence be a dealbreaker? Should I stick to cars made post-2017? Post-2018? Should I pick a higher mileage car (70k, 90k, 110k) that’s newer and/or has PP features vs, say, a 2015 or 2016 with <50k miles that doesn’t look like it has those add-ons? What about 2014 if the miles are good (<60k) and the price is under $15 grand?

Should I just prioritize cheapness and good health/maintenance and forget about buying *the best GTI* with *the right options* and then add stuff like a LSD or tune in the aftermarket space on my own?

I’m in New England, and just a cursory search online is leading me to understand that 1) I’d have to find a shop to do it, and not everybody will 2) the parts on their own are about $1k, the labor is anywhere from $1-2k on its own, and usually it’s done with a clutch job or bigger tune bc it involves opening up the transmission (so probably expect to spend anywhere from $2.5-$4k depending on total work being done).

It feels like there’s so many variables. Like I could buy a car that’s got what I want and is/isn’t beat to poo poo and I could also spend more like $15k or more like $20k and it’s really a crapshoot. Also we’re talking about cars that are located like all over the northeast.

Is it even worth going through all of that trouble? Could I just find a “good enough” car in my area and sign some paperwork and be done with it? I don’t even know how much better the PP is vs just the bone-stock GTI and I don’t really have the means or time to extensively test drive those differences.

I think I’m starting to figure out that I should get the car that inspires the most confidence while also being new enough and as inexpensive as possible and gently caress everything else.

If I get something like a 2016 or 2017 in the ~60k miles range and spend more like $16 grand instead of $21 grand on a lower-mileage car/car with the add-ons, then I can plan on doing a clutch replacement+LSD upgrade when it hits 100k or something like that.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Maybe an unpopular opinion but if I was after a GTI I'd be choosing the auto. The DSG in the GTI is a very good transmission and the manual is (at best) mediocre.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I'd posted a while back about getting rear ended/the hatch getting mushed. Had an appointment to get it fixed and promptly got rear ended AGAIN, 3 days before the appointment. Wound up in the ER with a hosed up neck, but shockingly I can barely tell where I got hit the second time.

Luckily both had insurance, both accepted responsibility, and the second one is paying the medical bills.

So I'm stuck in a Chrysler 300 through probably next week until the GTI is fixed, and :omg: the Chrysler is godawful

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

dissss posted:

Maybe an unpopular opinion but if I was after a GTI I'd be choosing the auto. The DSG in the GTI is a very good transmission and the manual is (at best) mediocre.

I love the DSG in my GTI, although I was never the best at driving stick anyway, but coming from a manual I don't miss it at all. Also if a GTI is what you want then just get one, don't be an idiot like me and get something you think is more practical just to trade it in a few years later for a GTI.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

dissss posted:

IDK. The way I see it this is probably the last ICE car I buy before going electric, so if I’m comfortable driving stick why not do that? It can’t be that bad if every reviewer seems to recommend getting the stick and has for p much the entire model generation.

It’s not like I’d be in over my head or anything. I dailied manuals in Boston for ~6 years. Drove ‘em all over the place, to many lovely and less lovely jobs. I even drove Lyft with one for about a year when I was between jobs and going back to grad school.

Let me tell you that nothing makes you a clutch-control machine quite like driving strangers around America’s Worst Driving City (TM) for ~8 hrs at a time. Also I developed tendonitis in my left knee like a few months after I stopped but I have no idea if it was related. My left leg was notably more swole than my right tho.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 19, 2021

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Sure I can see the appeal of a manual, just not a manual GTI.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

dissss posted:

Sure I can see the appeal of a manual, just not a manual GTI.

that bad of a manual, huh?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

No it isn't bad, it just doesn't work with the car as well as the auto IMO

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The shifter has a weird magnetic feeling moving between gears, the stock clutch pedal is soft feeling, clutch doesn't bite right away on release because of the clutch delay valve, and the ecu has rev hang programmed in

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Are you all telling me not to get the manual?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

If you're planning to stay mostly stock, except for maybe a jb4 or something, then get a stick if you want. I don't regret going manual at all.

If you plan to go with bolt ons and a tune the dsg can better handle the power and is overall faster.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Ok Comboomer posted:

Are you all telling me not to get the manual?

That's not an uncommon thing among GTI owners. Drive both if you can. The DSG is really fun. Plus if you get the 6sp instead of the 7sp you get DSG farts.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

With all this said, does the same ring true for an R?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
try both and pick which one you like more

the dsg is really quick, especially if you get a tune for the ECU and dsg.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

prom candy posted:

I love the DSG in my GTI, although I was never the best at driving stick anyway, but coming from a manual I don't miss it at all. Also if a GTI is what you want then just get one, don't be an idiot like me and get something you think is more practical just to trade it in a few years later for a GTI.

I disagree about the DSG, but the second part is big agree. Buying the ‘sensible’ ‘reasonable’ ‘practical’ mazda3 hatch with an auto instead of a FoST made me very sad and 3 years later got so tired of seeing it I sold it. If you care about cars enough to post ITT you will regret not getting something that at least makes you a little heart racing, makes you want to look back at it when you park.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The DSG is very good and (slightly) faster.

However, I don’t care about eeking out a slight performance difference since I don’t live on the track. Rowing my own makes me happy and having driven an auto with flappy paddles for a year I realized I hated it, no matter how good it was.

The GTI shifter is fine. I had an NC Miata and it was great. Is the GTI’s as good? No, but it’s not bad, either.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Is the mk7 shifter much different than the mk6? I had a 6 speed Mk6 GTI and the shifter seemed fine, especially after I switched it out to the OEM Audi short shifter.

I really miss that car. Mk6 GTI with an APR stage I tune was fantastic as a DD, although apparently the mk7s have tune/clutch issues. Out of curiosity, how much is a clutch fix to never think about it again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

My mk6 GTI driver seatbelt connector has been having some issues lately. Sometimes even after clicking in it can just pop back out. I've skirted the issue by just giving it a tug to confirm it's actually engaged, but the problem seems to be getting worse. Is there any way to fix this, or should I just get a new one for like 80 bucks? Obviously I'd prefer to save some money and fix it, but seatbelts are kinda important and I'm not looking to half rear end something like that