Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

"your job"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

I live about an hour from Vancouver and my previous landlords two were:
- slumlord who refused to fix poo poo
- slumlord who refused to fix poo poo even when it was likely to cause electrical fires in his own house

I'm really hoping that the giant soulless REIT I now rent an apartment from is somehow more sensible than those two jackwagons. At least they test the fuckin smoke alarms and all my appliances work this time -- the last three months in my previous place the relays in the stove controlling electricity flow to the burners were loving sparking and popping so I just didn't use the stove to cook at all because my landlord refused to believe anything was wrong with it.

If you're lucky, you'll have a kind and empathetic super who genuinely cares about your problems (who will be powerless to actually do anything about them.)

pokeyman posted:

this is why I'm not really following the outrage about big company buying houses to rent. landlord shittiness is not predicated on corporate structure or size. feels like people are imagining their personal rental situation will somehow change for the worse and that seems as likely as it ever was?

why did the company get a splashy puff piece in the globe and mail? alright that's kinda weird, though it's weird every time it happens. not uniquely weird for this company

they're just gonna jack up rents for profit? what a change from the status quo

I'm not saying it's good (how about some rent control, enforcing tenant rights, and publicly-funded housing) but it doesn't seem to change much of anything

if there is profit to be made in buying real estate it's because money is being extracted from the people who need a house to live in.

if there is profit to be made in buying real estate after prices have tripled and people can't afford rent as is, it's because there is more money yet to be sucked out of regular people.

It sucks that it's been going on for so long, it sucks that it's still happening, and it sucks worse that getting raked by domestic megacorps isn't enough and you have more rich assholes coming from all around the world to plunder from Canadians.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Also yeah the constant puff pieces about landlords in all the major rags make me vomit

When the pandemic hit it was all stuff about "the evil banks are repossessing this poor woman's house!" (the subject had taken out multiple mortgages to stream rentals on airbnb and defaulted immediately)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

fisting by many posted:

Also yeah the constant puff pieces about landlords in all the major rags make me vomit

When the pandemic hit it was all stuff about "the evil banks are repossessing this poor woman's house!" (the subject had taken out multiple mortgages to stream rentals on airbnb and defaulted immediately)

it was hilarious the torrent of :qq: we got as people were suddenly forced to consider selling off their properties, or god forbid, putting them back on the long term rental market

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟
https://twitter.com/jjhorgan/status/1406031877899644928?s=19

I didn't get the email about MY second vaccine, John Horgan. Where is it? You wouldn't want me to not get it, would you John Horgan? Because I want it, John. And I'm gonna GET it, even if I have to take it from you, John Horgan. I know you have the antibodies, in your veins, John Horgan. John Horgan, you can't keep all the vaccines for yourself, John Horgan. John Horgan.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

I'm probably gonna get Pfizer for my second jab because I hear the side effects can get pretty brutal if you mix, and I could use a couple of days off work

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

I didn't mix and moderna round 2 is kicking my rear end. Luckily my good friends at advil have hooked me up

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Canada is driving all the pharmaceutical companies nuts as we come up with wacky new combinations. 3 months from now it will be crushed az ice cubes snorted followed by a shotglass full of phizer then butt chug moderna provides slightly more effectiveness

just a bunch of hooting hosers doing wacky shot with vaccines all over

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

It's very strange that the online receipt you get from the government website is different than the one that stores give you, also it's very lame that it's an entire page, gimme a card shaped one

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Figured out the secret to get 2nd pfizer dose in Ontario in your thirties

Have cancer a 2nd time

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

drat I should have tried that

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Terror Sweat posted:

It's very strange that the online receipt you get from the government website is different than the one that stores give you, also it's very lame that it's an entire page, gimme a card shaped one

London Drugs didn't even give me a loving sticker when I got my first dose

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

The pharmacy I went too printed up one of those stickers that they put on pill bottles and stuck my second dose info on a little card, which is cool. Maybe I should get it laminated

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Terror Sweat posted:

The pharmacy I went too printed up one of those stickers that they put on pill bottles and stuck my second dose info on a little card, which is cool. Maybe I should get it laminated

kind of surprised more businesses aren’t offering promos and discounts if you show your vaccine card.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I just got an email from Durham region telling me my second dose will be rescheduled automatically sometime in July and to expect the confirmation email within the next few days woooot

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Got my second dose a week ago of Pfizer. It wasn't nearly as bad as the first dose, but I still had a sore arm and headache for 2 days.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

i got a sticker but it was just the time i was allowed to leave

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

You mean they actually do pharmacy stuff not just sell flat screen TVs? The hell?

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Arivia posted:

You mean they actually do pharmacy stuff not just sell flat screen TVs? The hell?

LD is awesome. There should be more places like it around. Where else can you find things like cooking oil, peanut butter, laundry detergent, allergy medicine, mothballs, toilet paper, garden tools, giant ceramic pots, an iPhone, cosmetics, etc. and isn’t a ripoff? My local one was even selling a knock off Eames lounge chair for a few hundred bucks a while ago.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
London Drugs electronics department took advantage of my Grandfather a couple months before he ended up in a care home. Upsold him one of those monstrous 17 inch screen laptops for over $2000+ when he just wanted something to read BBC news on like an iPad.

Not that sleazy sales staff are unique to London Drugs. They just happened to be the one to exploit my Grandfather’s declining mental health.

gently caress London Drugs.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

BGrifter posted:

London Drugs electronics department took advantage of my Grandfather a couple months before he ended up in a care home. Upsold him one of those monstrous 17 inch screen laptops for over $2000+ when he just wanted something to read BBC news on like an iPad.

Not that sleazy sales staff are unique to London Drugs. They just happened to be the one to exploit my Grandfather’s declining mental health.

Every electronics salesperson is a vulture. Its especially weird when most of them don't even get commission on their bullshit sales, they just push the garbage because they get a giddy joy from extracting money from those who don't know what they need.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Every electronics salesperson is a vulture. Its especially weird when most of them don't even get commission on their bullshit sales, they just push the garbage because they get a giddy joy from extracting money from those who don't know what they need.

yeah, I’m under no illusion Best Buy or Staples are any better. London Drugs were the ones I had a personal bad experience with so I’ll continue holding my grudge, even though the alternatives are bad too.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I remember london drugs used to order tons of the cheapest garbage laptops off alibaba and sell them under the own "certified data" brand, too.

Wouldn't surprise me to hear that $2000 17" laptop had a celeron

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Powershift posted:

I remember london drugs used to order tons of the cheapest garbage laptops off alibaba and sell them under the own "certified data" brand, too.

Wouldn't surprise me to hear that $2000 17" laptop had a celeron

first generation i3 and a spinning hard drive. :sigh:

No dedicated graphics card, not that my Grandpa really needed one. But at that price it drat well should have had one.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

BGrifter posted:

Ok but more importantly I didn't get my "I'm vaccinated" sticker

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Ok but more importantly I didn't get my "I'm vaccinated" sticker

oh I sympathize with your plight. my desk in the living room has a growing collection of “I voted” stickers now with two “I’m vaccinated” stickers.

really the sticker is the most important part.

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

Got my 2nd moderna a couple days ago (28 ON, vaxxhunters FTW) and can confirm it kicked my rear end the day after, felt like pure rear end until like 5pm and took the day off

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I have happy memories of saving up to buy half life and all the expansions separately from london drugs with my high school job. I also had a cool uncle who worked there for a bit that would let me use their their dialup internet credentials in the early 90s.

Also, a reminder that we haven't had a GG in 6 months and nobody seems to care anymore.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
ahahah owned canada
https://twitter.com/xhnews/status/1406531973724590082?s=21

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

Figured out the secret to get 2nd pfizer dose in Ontario in your thirties

Have cancer a 2nd time

thats rough sorry to hear that

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

China should stop doing business in Canada to preserve their high moral standards

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
I will reserve my own judgement until DPRK weighs in.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
"Our genocide is perfectly acceptable because you did genocide too " a tankie

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
All nation states are bad and guilty of crimes against humanity. This is why communism aspires to a stateless society. It is the only true path forward, as we all know.

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

Modern geopolitics is just twitter users posting "no u" at each other until one of them gets blown up

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

FormaldehydeSon posted:

Got my 2nd moderna a couple days ago (28 ON, vaxxhunters FTW) and can confirm it kicked my rear end the day after, felt like pure rear end until like 5pm and took the day off

Definitely going to avoid booking mine for the first day of a long weekend. What a mistake I made the first time.

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

yippee cahier posted:

Definitely going to avoid booking mine for the first day of a long weekend. What a mistake I made the first time.

If you pick a smaller venue your line will be shorter too, happened for both of my shots where my gf had hers at the same time & day but at a much bigger location (just luck of the draw) and she had to wait in a huge line but mine only had 2 or 3 people ahead of me, for both shots.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

EvilJoven posted:

"Our genocide is perfectly acceptable because you did genocide too " a tankie

did i walk into debate and discussion

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Canada is a poo poo country filled with assholes that do nothing but shuffle houses and condos back and forth between rich people, we have no right to criticize anybody

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://www.cbc.ca/news/real-estate-fractional-investing-1.6070504

nationalize all housing

don't compensate landlords for the loss