Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I wish I’d thought of that approximately $500 ago for my old Ninja 250 :doh:

E: lovely snipe bumping off actual good content, quoting:

Gorson posted:

Recreating cowl tabs with monomer liquid and acrylic powder:

Make a mold of sorts

Fill

Cut/sand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
gently caress. My last THREE posts went away because my laptop is dying.

Anyway- pump is new, filter is new, hose not kinked but a bit old.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Got my tacho wire in the mail for the tenere so I fixed that and looked a little closer on the PO homemade slip-on when I had the tank and panels off again.

No clamp on the join, evidence of a small leak with the soot stains.

Zero original bolt nuts on the exhaust bolts. 1 bolt also replaced with screw. Going to be interesting to get off..

But it is working for now. Going let it be until i get it a fitting slip on+ front pipes ordered.

Rest of the bike is working. There is a tiiny hesitation around 4k rpm, but not gonna gently caress with the carbs etc until I got the exhaust setup sorted.
As i now got a working tacho I also adjusted the idle. it was set waay high at 2200ish rpm, it should be at 1300-1400

Things next payday will bring:
- Braided brake lines. Current ones works, but unknown age and not the most precice feeling.
- New wider footrests, stock is pretty small for standing unless you got really stiff boot soles. keeping them in black. tw200 compatible footrests are drop in.
- Doubletake dualsport mirrors. The stock ones are ok, a little wiby but non foldable.
- Cyplops led 10k h4 + h1 bulb. right hand lamp with h4 socket is not availiable as NOS, so I'll not touch the lamps themselves.
- Some anakee wild tires. the metzler sahara 3 on it are pretty old.

I'll keep the look stock. So old style indicators, handlebar + non braced barkbusters.
Some hopefully not terrible chinesium adjustable levers are on the way. If they're crap I'll go for some german pro-brake or similar, not many brand name manufacturers have levers for the bike.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Rotated my bar end mirror mounts forward and up, so I can see the mirrors without having to tilt my head down. It's a definite improvement. Regular-rear end mirrors would be better for this, obvs, but the ones I had provided me with a great view of my elbows and not much else.

Also tested my new tires out in the rain. They're, uh, fine? No complaints as of yet. P much every corner I took had painted traffic lines so I was pretty dainty about it anyway.

E: my next fortnine purchase is waterproofing spray and a pinlock visor, gently caress, my helmet was fog city today.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
I mounted a random waterproof plastic box as a top case. Guess it's time to get a KLR

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Now mount the coyote on the box!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

From right: motorcycle used for carrying goods, goods.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Name being Dog Case is some meta shenanigans

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Goods dogge

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
Got a friends bike running after sitting in his barn since 1985.

https://i.imgur.com/Oim92Qs.mp4

1981 Honda C70 Passport aka Honda Supercub the most produced vehicle in history 100 million and counting.

Had no spark and a fuel system full of rust, motor turned over and had good compression.

Points were crusty as gently caress so hit them with the file and set them up. Got a good spark with a new plug.

Tank was filled with vinegar and left to soak for a few days. Shook it up with nuts and bolts in it to get the loose bits. Gave is a good rinse and then hit it with some mixed gas and gas line antifreeze to get the water out.

Carb was filled with a mix of varnish and rust. Took it completely apart and the local lawn more place put it in an ultrasonic bath for a few hours. Main jet was still plugged but a poke with a needle got it clear.

Once the carb was clear it fired up and ran ok but was a bit hesitant. Had an exhaust leak at the head turned out the muffler was plugged by mud dobbers, screwdriver got a lot of power back and it stopped leaking.

Going to need new tires and a battery to get the electric bits working properly probably a few light bulbs to pass a safety.

helno fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 12, 2021

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

:hellyeah:

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
This was the first shake of the fuel tank to get the loose bits out.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

wow

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Sold the MadAss to a friend

So the rest of the street legal crew have a little more space

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

All the time I spent trying to figure out how to further lower my controls? Undid most of that after five minutes on the road. The controls definitely felt like they were more natural to engage but it felt like I was always on the verge of having the levers slip from my fingers. Adjusted everything back up and I’m filing this one under “I don’t think I know what is supposed to feel right vs feel correct”

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
It's taken me about 6000 miles to get annoyed with the width of my Harley's aftermarket air intake. I'm not sure why they make them like this, but it digs into my leg just enough that the vibration over long distances starts to hurt quite a bit. Harley makes a more narrow intake, and in retrospect I'm not sure why I didn't just use this to begin with.

This apparently has greater airflow, but I don't think I need to remap it since it's already set to accept a larger airflow.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

That looks like the standard 114 M8 intake without the fancy chrome etc on it.

What which did/do you have on that was/is quite wide?

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Steakandchips posted:

That looks like the standard 114 M8 intake without the fancy chrome etc on it.

What which did/do you have on that was/is quite wide?

I had the round Arlen Ness one on there before.

The new one is about the same size as the standard intake but apparently flows 39% more air.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Nothing to my ride but I washed my mesh jacket for the first time in years

(it rarely gets above 30 here so it's not like it was stinky, just road dirt and chain grime stains and such)

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Tried to fix a clicking starter solenoid, but after switching out for a new 8 buck part, still just clicks. Put the battery on the charger, even though my trickle charger showed it green.

Also got most of the way in installing some new lower handlebars. I don't have any pictures, and I'm too tired and discouraged to go take any.

😔

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

gileadexile posted:

Tried to fix a clicking starter solenoid, but after switching out for a new 8 buck part, still just clicks. Put the battery on the charger, even though my trickle charger showed it green.

Also got most of the way in installing some new lower handlebars. I don't have any pictures, and I'm too tired and discouraged to go take any.

😔

You need a multimeter.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Slavvy posted:

You need a multimeter.

Yar, gonna dive in tomorrow. Was hoping it was gonna be a cheap easy fix, but..no. Plan on checking at the battery, solenoid and starter. Anything else I could check out before starting on the harness?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Make sure the earths are all clean and tight. If it's clicking your problem is either low voltage for one reason or another, or the starter is poked/jammed.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Took weeks of loving around on the phone and 5 hours of driving and loving around in person today but my ct110 is finally finally road legal and plated. Feels good.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Did some testing today. Battery reads good, solenoid good, multimeter reads power going to the starter when start is pressed, so by process of elimination..starter? I went ahead and ordered one, we'll see I guess!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

gileadexile posted:

Did some testing today. Battery reads good, solenoid good, multimeter reads power going to the starter when start is pressed, so by process of elimination..starter? I went ahead and ordered one, we'll see I guess!

Now you just need to hook power directly to the starter lug and discover it's actually an earth cable and you have a spare starter now.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Now you just need to hook power directly to the starter lug and discover it's actually an earth cable and you have a spare starter now.

That's about how my life goes, but it has been slowing down the past month or so, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if I managed to burn it out chasing down the no start condition last fall.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

gileadexile posted:

Does your starter have replaceable brushes?

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

I added a windshield to further transform it into a dorky commutercycle

It reduces the amount of wind but also somehow feels like the wind is worse because what hits the top of my helmet is louder (but still less)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Huh, I have literally never seen a GN with a front drum. The bottom of the barrel is lower than I thought!

That screen will reduce the wind hitting you but make the bike's behavior worse because there is now a sail attached to the handlebars directly; previously it was attached via meat noodles that can dampen some of the pull.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Slavvy posted:

Huh, I have literally never seen a GN with a front drum. The bottom of the barrel is lower than I thought!

Haha. 82 was the first year they made them and the only year they had a drum on the front

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Whoa, so you have an actual Japanese GN125?? Another thing I have literally never seen, they have been Chinese built since the 90's afaik. Would be really interesting to compare, I've seen a Japanese 250 and it was amazing how much less lovely it was in all the small ways.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dog Case posted:

It reduces the amount of wind but also somehow feels like the wind is worse because what hits the top of my helmet is louder (but still less)

My friend……

I had the exact same problem as you. This makes a world of difference

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Sure, but that also looks extra dorky.

How fast can a GN125 even go that he would need 2 windscreens...

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

Dog Case posted:

I rented a Harley with a batwing fairing while visiting my in laws. It directed all the wind onto my forehead. By the time I returned it 700 miles later I was ready to take a sawzall to the fairing. The even pressure from no fairing is much nicer than directed buffeting.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I have never ridden one that could do more than 110km/h, but I've also ridden many that top out at 90. They have more variation from bike to bike than anything else from a Japanese brand. Maybe the JDM one is good for another 10kmh? That would put it in line with the more normal 125's.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Steakandchips posted:

Sure, but that also looks extra dorky.

How fast can a GN125 even go that he would need 2 windscreens...

If you’re riding a gn, much like if you’re riding a Goldwing, you have implicitly accepted that looking cool is out of the question.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Maybe the JDM one is good for another 10kmh? That would put it in line with the more normal 125's.

My Honda CBF125 2014 could do 100kph after about 10 minutes on the flat. I was constantly being overtaken on that thing.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

My cbr125 could do an indicated 130 after considerable delay but that was a water cooled supersport with a full fat 13hp powerhouse :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

I can get it up to 60mph fairly easily, 65 on flat ground with no headwind, and just under 75 if I lay down on the tank and have a lot of flat ground

That's all indicated, so it's really probably around 5mph less