Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Is the LN a completed story?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Ongoing at ten volumes, although the first novel was quite self-contained.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Didn't someone say that the first volume had a definitive, timeskip ending and everything else has basically been backfilling?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Mordja posted:

Didn't someone say that the first volume had a definitive, timeskip ending and everything else has basically been backfilling?

Only for the next volume or two.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
That robot had more characterisation than most of the cast.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

A little note from the LN. Fido has been Shin's longest lived companion on the front lines. Having been the only survivor besides Shin in the battle that wiped out his first unit.

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..
Uhhh, holy gently caress, this episode. I guess it’s the end of the season? With the special episode to come. That was some striking visuals at the very end there. Wow.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also we got confirmation on what Lena’s punishment was. basically a slap on the wrist.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Holy poo poo well that was unexpected. I wonder where they'll go from here.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Something that I think didn’t get conveyed super well in the anime compared to the LN is how intimate the Para-RAID connection is. Even on the lowest setting for voice only, Lena and Shin frequently pick up emotions, thoughts, and even brief glimpses of memories from each other while connected.

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..

Nitrousoxide posted:

Something that I think didn’t get conveyed super well in the anime compared to the LN is how intimate the Para-RAID connection is. Even on the lowest setting for voice only, Lena and Shin frequently pick up emotions, thoughts, and even brief glimpses of memories from each other while connected.

Yeah, that doesn’t get conveyed at all. That adds an interesting extra dynamic between the team, if they’re sharing such intimate parts of themselves with each other.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
drat that's a good episode. There's just so many solid hitters this season. I want to know more, I might have to read the LN to know what happens next if the special episode mentioned above doesn't answer these questions.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Tanon posted:

Yeah, that doesn’t get conveyed at all. That adds an interesting extra dynamic between the team, if they’re sharing such intimate parts of themselves with each other.

Yeah, even the sense of touch comes through at times. When Lena calls Shin back after she first gets exposed to the Black Sheep’s voices she catches him in the shower, and describes being able feel the way he’s toweling off and the roughness of the fabric. So it’s a very different experience from just “radio but in your head”

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Raenir Salazar posted:

drat that's a good episode. There's just so many solid hitters this season. I want to know more, I might have to read the LN to know what happens next if the special episode mentioned above doesn't answer these questions.

We know we are getting a part 2 after a break so if you can wait a season.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeeesssssss!!!!!

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don't think we know it's coming in a season. Wasn't there something about delays?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Supremezero posted:

I don't think we know it's coming in a season. Wasn't there something about delays?

True I was just assuming cause split cours are generally about a season later.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Dang, would've been nice to have that gotten into some more. It would've gone a long way towards alleviating my "why not just use radios" complaints about the presence of that tech in the story too.

Given the long delay before this cour aired, I hope we don't have to wait too long for the next one. I'd be quite happy if this got plenty of seasons and kept digging through the Light Novels as well, since I'm used to the Light Novel-based anime I like ending waaay before they adapt all the content (like Rokka no Yuusha and Konosuba). It's less painful when they end without a huge amount of "light novel runway" ahead of them though, which was the case with Rascal Dreams of Bunny Girl Senpai and No Game No Life.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

NowonSA posted:

No Game No Life.

RIP.

The movie though was amazing. One of the few exceptional anime movies. I liked it a lot as it had a sort of Humanity gently caress Yeah vibe to it; humans are basically hiding in the dirt for thousands of years but we produce a genius who is able to get one of the godlike beings to defect and help Humanity and use cunning and wits to outwit literal gods and their overpowered creations who can annihilate us in an instant but don't because we're beneath their notice and they use it against them.

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

Not sure what's going on. I started this show knowing that there was going to be a second season, so I was rather disappointed that they burned through all of the fodders so quickly, so by episode 8 there was just the 5 guys left and you knew that they were all going to survive (at least until we got a new infusion of fodders). But then this episode ends... weirdly. It's obviously a fakeout. But now I've just looked it up and apparently the light novel was supposed to be a one off with no sequels, so apparently the last episode might have actually supposed to have been the ending. Makes sense. So everybody died. RIP. (I would've taken the decapitation at face value had I not known a second season was coming). But then what is season 2 supposed to be about? Is it going to be about the handler girl commanding a new wave of 86s and sending them out to fight the Legion commanders that have the brains of the season 1 characters?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

seems to me like they're setting up lena getting in a robot to go after them

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
But then who will take care of the cat?

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

Yawgmoft posted:

But then who will take care of the cat?

Presumably the heroine's friend back in the city.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Jesus

So they actually really went there. Wasn't even unexpected in the traditional sense. It made sense for it to go this way but somehow that made me think it wasn't going to happen? No way Lena isn't going to run into robot Shin. There's more tears on the horizon.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Mindblast posted:

Jesus

So they actually really went there. Wasn't even unexpected in the traditional sense. It made sense for it to go this way but somehow that made me think it wasn't going to happen? No way Lena isn't going to run into robot Shin. There's more tears on the horizon.

I just caught up with the show and I dunno. It hasn't been 100% confirmed yet. The official website hasn't updated the characters as being Destroyed yet. Also, I saw it pointed out that Lena's visit to the base was 17 days before Shin's final stand. So she has time to save them somehow.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

At least in the LN, they were given a month's supplies.

That said, the first LN didn't really cover any of their "recon mission" in detail after they left comms range so the anime actually was more in-depth there.

Maybe LN 2 does though! I'm starting that now.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Nephthys posted:

I just caught up with the show and I dunno. It hasn't been 100% confirmed yet. The official website hasn't updated the characters as being Destroyed yet. Also, I saw it pointed out that Lena's visit to the base was 17 days before Shin's final stand. So she has time to save them somehow.

Is this pointing out in the anime anywhere out of curiosity? It'd be cool to cool back and check for clues. :)

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

Is this pointing out in the anime anywhere out of curiosity? It'd be cool to cool back and check for clues. :)

Yes. The date gets thrown up at the start of the episode (oct 30th), after the night at the school (oct 31st), and when it cuts to Lena (oct 13th)

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

They give a date of October something before lena's visit, and we know the fight is October 30th from a similar timestamps that I think was in the last episode when we saw fido's corpse

Edit: lol nice

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
She's gonna charge the battlefield with a machete and kill all the robos

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I don't have any expectations of Lena suddenly becoming some kind of super pilot and storming the battlefield, especially given the timeframe it would involve to actually get out there, so I'm really curious how they plan to proceed given the ending of this episode :ohdear:

Wollawolla
Jan 15, 2007

Are you gonna smash my skull and breathe my blood-mist?

NowonSA posted:

Dang, would've been nice to have that gotten into some more. It would've gone a long way towards alleviating my "why not just use radios" complaints about the presence of that tech in the story too.

The other narrative reason for the tech is that the Legion Eintagsfliege drones that swarm the air are radio jammers, but don't interfere with the Para-RAID.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Wollawolla posted:

The other narrative reason for the tech is that the Legion Eintagsfliege drones that swarm the air are radio jammers, but don't interfere with the Para-RAID.

I think you have the complaint backward. It is a story structure critisim, not a plot hole whine. As far as the anime goes, you could literally just replace the pararaid with a radio, remove that function from the drones and nothing changes.

It makes more sense in the LN because there it transmits quite a bit more sense data, so as a storytelling device it allows Lena to connect more intimately with the 86s. Since none of that carries over it feels like a weird decision to make their communication a weird sense sharing device that is functionally no different from a radio.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Caros posted:

I think you have the complaint backward. It is a story structure critisim, not a plot hole whine. As far as the anime goes, you could literally just replace the pararaid with a radio, remove that function from the drones and nothing changes.

Well, you would need to also replace the jamming function to prevent them from communicating with other nations, if they still exist, out there. But you could perhaps explain that away as them being in a low solar activity cycle of their sun and over the horizon transmission being impossible.

Edit:
I think the Eintagsfliege also keep planes from leaving the Republic too since they are what downed Lena's father's plane, so they actually serve a few functions in keeping the republic isolated so things can progress as they have.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jun 22, 2021

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

Nitrousoxide posted:

Well, you would need to also replace the jamming function to prevent them from communicating with other nations, if they still exist, out there.

Just say that the range of the radios is greatly reduced by jamming or interference or Minovsky particles (hence why when Spearhead travels deeper into Legion territory, they lose contact with San Magnolia).

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'd say the sensory sharing and voices of the dead were a pretty important element to the story.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah the fact that hearing what shin hears means hearing an avalanche of people's final words, and that this fact drove all of lena's predecessors insane, is on it's own central enough to the plot to justify the author making radios not work

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Not to mention that it seems pretty clear that the technology the Para-RAID is based on and what the legion uses to assimilate dead soldiers are probably one and the same, given the above.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
The Para-RAID is the military application of a phenomenon pretty central to the plot: Shin's telepathy, which is a large part of what allowed Spearhead to last as long as they had, gives the rest of the cast and audience deeper insights on the workings of Legion, and is the main driver of Shin's personal quest to kill his assimilated brother.

You could come up with half a dozen different explanations as to why the Republic is isolated yet are still able to communicate conventionally with their forces thus keeping ESP a completely separate element, but even if you did nothing else with it this sort of ESP<->COMMs integration would be neutral at worst, and as it turns out the story does employ it pretty effectively - from the very beginning it establishes that ESP exists and that one of our main characters has a weird interaction with it, turning it into sci-fi rather than magic, so it then goes unquestioned when the mystery eventually pays off and it's revealed he was one of the initial study subjects for the device's development, and that his innate ability is strong enough he can even hear Legion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

How interested would people be in a LN thread? I don’t know how many LN readers there are and whether it would justify a separate thread to avoid spoiling the anime only folks