Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

You work out of a van, right? How long does it take you to load up a bike and be moving if you’re in a hurry? I bet one guy who knows what he’s doing could do it pretty quick too. Even with a steering lock. I’ve moved a locked klr around by pivoting it on the kickstand every time it gets too far out of line.
If no steering lock I'd say I could do it in less than a minute.

Steering lock would take longer, I'm a pussy so I'd need an assistant or I'd probably have to smash the lock.

If I were a bike thief I'd target Harleys. They almost never have the steering locked because it's a separate lock, the parts are worth lots of money and there is a large customer base who don't ask any moral questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Slavvy, thanks for the input re gears being bathed in oil.

I seriously owe you many beers. Looking forward to buying them whenever I am in NZ.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

You work out of a van, right? How long does it take you to load up a bike and be moving if you’re in a hurry? I bet one guy who knows what he’s doing could do it pretty quick too. Even with a steering lock. I’ve moved a locked klr around by pivoting it on the kickstand every time it gets too far out of line.

Vaguely recall twisto had a bike stolen while he was paying for petrol

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Seasoned bike thieves can have your bike gone in a matter of seconds. Just carry good theft insurance and call it a day.

Or do what I do and ride bikes no one wants to steal

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
When I park my Harley overnight places I’ll put a Kryptonite lock on each wheel: a rotor lock on the front, and one of the big U locks on the rear, lock the forks, and arm the (factory) alarm. But I also take everything valuable out of my bags because even though it’s a 900lb motorcycle that you can’t wheel anywhere, you can pick a barrel lock with a bic pen.

But I think these have some form of LoJack from the factory. I also keep an Invoxia GPS on the bike. I’m hoping it would just be too annoying to steal.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Seasoned bike thieves can have your bike gone in a matter of seconds. Just carry good theft insurance and call it a day.

Or do what I do and ride bikes no one wants to steal

You end up paying for the theft even with insurance. Via lovely valuations and increased premiums. (At least in the UK you would)

London life was a 1” thick steel rod w/ a tungsten core through the frame, then a 16mm chain looped to both ends of the bar through a 22mm thick steel ground anchor. Then two 16mm U locks through both wheels/discs holding down a cover.

Or an alarmed disc lock, and 10mm chain when out and about.

Any time gains made commuting were wiped out by gearing up and unlocking/locking everything.

Glad I don’t have to do that poo poo any more.

Horse Clocks fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jun 19, 2021

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Thanks for the input all re: alarms. To answer Jim Silly-Balls, it came with the alarm from the previous owner. I was pretty excited; the seller never advertised that it had an alarm but when he showed me the fob I was like "DEAL." Since last year's strange issues with some sort of short causing the hazards to go off whenever I engaged turn signals, I've been thinking of removing it. It's all moot anyway, since when my insurance comes up next month I have to sell it.

The question now becomes, do I go for a private sale to some sucker like me who thinks the alarm is a bonus? Or take a bit of a hit trading it into my buddy's shop for a more reasonable bike? I've been strongly considering a DRZ-400SM or an SV650, both significantly less crazy on insurance than this beast. I will miss it dearly but it's just untenable.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ehhhhhh posted:

I can't really imagine going downhill at 60 for any significant distance. Surely any suitably long downhill is going to have many more bends than 60mph will allow. stdh basically.

There are plenty of roads in the USA where you can do that. Interstate highways even. The west slope of the Sierra Nevada is full of them.

ehhhhhh
May 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
>95 kmph? No drive? Nah. I mean I'm not saying people aren't dumb enough to try but come on. I'm sure there are even roads that you could theoretically do it on. But long enough to destroy a transmission?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9_vsudRHFs

This road is hella downhill. But as you can see there aren't that many straight sections, and the speeds just arent that high. You only have to let the clutch out once for oil to be delivered and you have to start over.

Im no engineer though lol. Not saying its impossible.

Upon further investigation people are in fact dumb enough, apparently even going so far as to turn the engine off completely is not unheard of.

ehhhhhh fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 19, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

Vaguely recall twisto had a bike stolen while he was paying for petrol

Yep, two scrotes on a (stolen, obviously) scooter. They broke the steering lock by kicking opposite sides of the wheel, one jumped on the bike, the other stayed on the scooter and pushed it out with his foot on the passenger footpeg - the whole thing took less than 30 seconds.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ehhhhhh posted:

>95 kmph? No drive? Nah. I mean I'm not saying people aren't dumb enough to try but come on. I'm sure there are even roads that you could theoretically do it on. But long enough to destroy a transmission?

This road is hella downhill. But as you can see there aren't that many straight sections, and the speeds just arent that high. You only have to let the clutch out once for oil to be delivered and you have to start over.

Upon further investigation people are in fact dumb enough, apparently even going so far as to turn the engine off completely is not unheard of.

start here and head south to lake tahoe

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.336...!7i13312!8i6656

It doesn't take very long at full speed with no oil to cause severe damage to moving parts.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Strife posted:

When I park my Harley overnight places I’ll put a Kryptonite lock on each wheel: a rotor lock on the front, and one of the big U locks on the rear, lock the forks, and arm the (factory) alarm. But I also take everything valuable out of my bags because even though it’s a 900lb motorcycle that you can’t wheel anywhere, you can pick a barrel lock with a bic pen.

But I think these have some form of LoJack from the factory. I also keep an Invoxia GPS on the bike. I’m hoping it would just be too annoying to steal.

I put a D Lock on the front rotor, a D Lock on the rear rotor (both D Locks are 16mm thick hardened steel, these ones: https://securityforbikes.com/dib-d-locks.php), a 16mm hardened steel chain (this one: https://securityforbikes.com/proddetail.php?prod=P16-x.x) looped around a 3m diameter tree trunk and a black bike cover. There's also a GPS tracker.

There's also my excellent neighbours who would immediately tell me if someone was messing with the bike.

I've never, to my knowledge, had my bike messed with.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yep, two scrotes on a (stolen, obviously) scooter. They broke the steering lock by kicking opposite sides of the wheel, one jumped on the bike, the other stayed on the scooter and pushed it out with his foot on the passenger footpeg - the whole thing took less than 30 seconds.

London? If yes, whereabouts in London?

I'm not looking forward to riding in London...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

ehhhhhh posted:

:allears: the world is bigger than your imagination bud. I had a mate nuke his Mitsubishi Galant transmission descending the rimutakas and that certainly wasn't straight. Just took some moxy in the corners and an idiot's dedication to staying in neutral.

Sagebrush posted:

start here and head south to lake tahoe

It doesn't take very long at full speed with no oil to cause severe damage to moving parts.

Literally mere seconds. Always blows people's minds when you tell them none of the metal parts inside ever physically touch and if they do it's a catastrophe. People riding along thinking pistons are grinding up and down the bores, gears are crashing into one another etc.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Steakandchips posted:

London? If yes, whereabouts in London?

I'm not looking forward to riding in London...

Yes London, but pretty much by definition every bit of London.

FWIW that type of bike crime has mostly died off because it was a surprisingly small number of gangs doing it. Now they're back to old-fashioned two-blokes-in-a-van theft.

Also I wouldn't look forward to riding one of those barges around London either but at least it's theft-proof because our thieves have better taste.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

FWIW that type of bike crime has mostly died off because it was a surprisingly small number of gangs doing it. Now they're back to old-fashioned two-blokes-in-a-van theft.

Good to hear.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Also I wouldn't look forward to riding one of those barges around London either but at least it's theft-proof because our thieves have better taste.

Ahahahaha

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I rode my bicycle downtown for a slice last night and hooooly poo poo there are a lot of annoying parts of the motorcycle community in my town. One bar had 30+ bikes in the parking lot taking turns revving their engines for uhh fun i guess. The pizza shop is on the main downtown road and people were doing loops (it's a one way) just to braaap their throttles. Both cruisers and sport bikes (more cruisers though).

I hate it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m having a real hard time pushing the order button on a replacement Packtalk microphone when it’s $25 shipping to Canada on an $11 item.

Where’s the cheap chinese knockoff on Amazon when I need it :mad:

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Is it not on Fortnine? Or is that their shipping price...

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah they only have the boom mic kit, not the little thin wired mic kit :(

The price from the Cardo site is $11USD plus another $25USD to ship.

I guess I could always try to repurpose the failing boom mic connector I have now and just solder on a regular lapel mic.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Yeah they only have the boom mic kit, not the little thin wired mic kit :(

The price from the Cardo site is $11USD plus another $25USD to ship.

I guess I could always try to repurpose the failing boom mic connector I have now and just solder on a regular lapel mic.

If that doesn't work PM me; I may have a solution for you.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

For sure, thanks. I’m just going to see if my friend is using theirs first, since I think they use the boom mic like I did.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
That Pacific heat bubble has also settled over where I live, and I can't bring myself to get on the bike. It's gonna be 36 out there today. Maybe once it's back down to the high 20s.

When the heat breaks I bet the thunderstorm is going to be tremendous.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m not in the PNW but this is what is happening by me now. If it isn’t 32+ and humid it’s monsooning. If it isn’t monsooning it’s climbing back up to 32+ and all the rain is escaping back out as humidity.

The forecast is calling for lower temperatures here in the upcoming days so maybe a reprieve and a chance to shove the ol’ spaceheater on two wheels back between my legs.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

We just had the crazy heatwave here in the Midwest. Hot and dry for weeks, burned out all the grass.

Now it’s just pissing rain down in hellacious thunderstorms for like a week now

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

We just had the crazy heatwave here in the Midwest. Hot and dry for weeks, burned out all the grass.

Last sunday: high of 18, low of 13

Yesterday: high of 13, low of -1

Very normal subtropical climate behavior

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It's been an insanely wet couple weeks in Chicago.

Should probably hook the tender to the Gixxer. It's been a while since I rid.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Yeah I finally got to ride to work for the first time at the new job today. Between shopping for office-appropriate boots and waiting for it to stop loving raining it took a few weeks.

I'm not hardcore enough to do my 20-minute commute on the bike rain or shine

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

captainOrbital posted:

It's been an insanely wet couple weeks in Chicago.

Should probably hook the tender to the Gixxer. It's been a while since I rid.

rode

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Rad

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
Rade, obviously.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
rude

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Have had rodden

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

drove

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
fly, you fools

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

had road

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

How other people look in bike pics vs how feel I look in bike pics

I swear every time someone takes a pic of me in my gear I’m in some weird unnatural pose. Hey, technically that qualifies as a rant.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Cal Rider (the guy in the meticulously polished Dainese suit) was a gay leather fetish model and personality, so that explains why he knew exactly how to pose in bike leathers. ATGATT is taken literally by some of them lol.

(side note: he passed away in 2019, which was a huge loss for the community cause he was one of the sweetest, most down to earth people i've ever seen. Couldn't be more different from the average 'influencer' or super model. His insta still has 13,5k followers, 2 years later)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Looks like my tongue in cheek joke turned into a learning moment. Thanks for that info, I just googled “dainese biker” and picked a random photo but it looks like I picked correctly :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

"The bike is 41 years old and this type of Honda is becoming more and more collectable. It has Vintage Dunlop white lettered tires that are in like new shape."

"The gauges are in pristine condition and function as they should. I just recently installed a new battery and had the carbs cleaned. The bike has a vintage windshield that is free of any major scratches. It also features a vintage sissy bar backrest and chrome luggage carrier."

1980 Vintage Honda CB650 Custom - $3,850