Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Ewing's problem is he's so good at writing horror, and that nobody else does horror, that if you put him on Spider-Man I'd almost think it were a waste. Because as Nick Spencer selflessly spent years of his life showing us - that is a book that does not need horror injected into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Ewing's also really good at writing comedy and heists and cosmic far out poo poo. I can't recall him doing anything street level like Spidey but the Ewing of USAvengers writing him sure sounds like something I'd like to read.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Leah Williams did a fantastic job on Mary Jane, give her Spidey.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Yeah, I can't imagine how all the Kindred stuff will be resolved by September.

Speaking of, I worry a bit that Immortal Hulk will feel rushed based on where things stand now but Ewing's been planning for 50 issues all along so I'm reasonably confident that we'll get a satisfying conclusion.

This. Especially Hulk. I’ll miss it so much.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I've been reading old Tales to Astonish and the credits box always has a little jab for the letterer (Artie Simek here but Sam Rosen gets the same treatment)

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Krakoa gets burned down, the whole X-Crew moves to Spider-Man and friends.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Marvel has so many people writing for them that would be amazing fits for Spider-Man. It would be such a bummer if it ends up being Cates. :(

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Just finished "The Death of Jean DeWolff" arc and I really enjoyed it. Spider-Man has had some quality arcs.

It was a nice break from Secret Wars II which is a real slog.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

JordanKai posted:

Marvel has so many people writing for them that would be amazing fits for Spider-Man. It would be such a bummer if it ends up being Cates. :(

I see Knull issue with it being Cates.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
for as ham-fisted as Knull was, I did like the 'this is what Captain Universe was meant to fight with all along' reveal

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I bought the last two issues of King in Black because I wanted to see Captain Universe, and it wasn’t terrible. It worked for how on the nose the whole event was.

Not like I was expecting anything like Hickman’s take on the character.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Speaking of, I worry a bit that Immortal Hulk will feel rushed based on where things stand now but Ewing's been planning for 50 issues all along so I'm reasonably confident that we'll get a satisfying conclusion.

Just posting to say that the only reason I gave Marauders or Immortal Hulk a look was because of this thread, A+ thx guys

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

bessantj posted:

Just finished "The Death of Jean DeWolff" arc and I really enjoyed it. Spider-Man has had some quality arcs.

It was a nice break from Secret Wars II which is a real slog.

I always forget Peter David wrote that because while there are hints of what would become his traditional style, it's much different. It's a great yarn, though.

Njashi9
Nov 2, 2012
Guardians of the Galaxy #15

As someone who watched a lot of Marvel vs Capcom 3 tournaments back in the day I find it fitting to to dig up some soundtracks for Nova vs Magneto.

And the big bad of the Last Annihilation revealed at the end even has a kickass theme: Shame they seem to be going back to his classic look.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Leah Williams brought back Jessie Drake in today's Marvel Voices Pride special. For those not fluent in early 90s Marvel Comics Presents serials, Jessie Drake is a mutant created by Ann Nocenti and Steve Lightle as well as the first openly trans character in Marvel history, coming out all the way back in 1994. It's not a perfect story but it's one that has meant a lot to me for almost twenty years, and seeing her back and hanging out with Black Cat meant a lot to me.

Vulpes, I'm curious if Jessie is a character you're going to be using down the line? The story left on kind of an open-ended note and afaik you're the sole doyen of Black Cattery for the foreseeable future. If so I'm super super super stoked to see your take on the character. And of course if the answer is "nah" or "can't talk about it atm" I totally get it.

(the issue also gave us this little exchange in a Lilah Sturges written Charlene McGowan/Elektra story)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Ahem, I believe that is Charlene and Daredevil. (Also :3: at the response)

EDIT: I was confused by the choice of characters until I remembered that Matt is the reason Charlene ended up in jail and thus working for the black ops people!

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 23, 2021

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

How Wonderful! posted:

Leah Williams brought back Jessie Drake in today's Marvel Voices Pride special. For those not fluent in early 90s Marvel Comics Presents serials, Jessie Drake is a mutant created by Ann Nocenti and Steve Lightle as well as the first openly trans character in Marvel history, coming out all the way back in 1994. It's not a perfect story but it's one that has meant a lot to me for almost twenty years, and seeing her back and hanging out with Black Cat meant a lot to me.

Vulpes, I'm curious if Jessie is a character you're going to be using down the line? The story left on kind of an open-ended note and afaik you're the sole doyen of Black Cattery for the foreseeable future. If so I'm super super super stoked to see your take on the character. And of course if the answer is "nah" or "can't talk about it atm" I totally get it.

(the issue also gave us this little exchange in a Lilah Sturges written Charlene McGowan/Elektra story)

No plans at current, sorry- Leah was doing her own thing in that story, I haven't even read it yet. But for what it's worth, if Jessie has now been established as someone in Felicia's orbit, I'm certainly more likely to use her down line than I would have been previously.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

They just added Spider-Man: King In Black to Unlimited. I am very sad I missed it the first time. I am here for Avengers Academy respect. Is the Reptil book any good? I looked it up and it's not by Vulpes.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Seems like Ewing hit a triple this week, because any Hulk fans shouldn't sleep on Gamma Flight. I thought it was gonna be another one shot, but it's def at least a mini, because there's some interesting subplots set up (and Titania and Creel are actually very sweet in their own way).

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Gaz-L posted:

Seems like Ewing hit a triple this week, because any Hulk fans shouldn't sleep on Gamma Flight. I thought it was gonna be another one shot, but it's def at least a mini, because there's some interesting subplots set up (and Titania and Creel are actually very sweet in their own way).

The redemption of Crusher Creel starting in Saladin Ahmed's Black Bolt is one of my favourite storylines running through multiple comics in the past few years. I also dug Gamma Flight, and I think it was listed as a 5-issue mini so we have more to look forward to. I fully agree that all of the Ewing books were great this week. It will be fun to have SWORD more directly connected with his cosmic stuff than the other Krakoa-related X-Books.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Has Creel always been able to absorb an object's overall purpose, by the way? Like, he didn't become titanium, he became a walking tank.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Gaz-L posted:

It's five parts apparently

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

No plans at current, sorry- Leah was doing her own thing in that story, I haven't even read it yet. But for what it's worth, if Jessie has now been established as someone in Felicia's orbit, I'm certainly more likely to use her down line than I would have been previously.

Hey, I just saw a Spider-Punk funko, which isn't shocking but something you helped create is a collectable.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

There’s also a Marvel Legends figure and a statue or two.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm not surprised, just I don't follow that stuff and this was the first I saw in the wild.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gaz-L posted:

Has Creel always been able to absorb an object's overall purpose, by the way? Like, he didn't become titanium, he became a walking tank.

Creel's powers have honestly evolved over the years. Used to be he'd just become metal, but they've started playing with it a lot over the last twenty years or so. He could always do kind of OP things whenever he'd touch Mjolnir or something, though.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Didn’t he give himself jet engines in an earlier issue of Immortal Hulk?

Oh, and read today’s Guardians before SWORD if you haven’t already.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Open Marriage Night posted:

Didn’t he give himself jet engines in an earlier issue of Immortal Hulk?

Oh, and read today’s Guardians before SWORD if you haven’t already.

I'm not reading Guardian ATM, is that where Quill gets antlers?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Njashi9 posted:

Guardians of the Galaxy #15

As someone who watched a lot of Marvel vs Capcom 3 tournaments back in the day I find it fitting to to dig up some soundtracks for Nova vs Magneto.

And the big bad of the Last Annihilation revealed at the end even has a kickass theme: Shame they seem to be going back to his classic look.

a bit disappointed by the villain reveal, tbh. it at least fits the mold of the villains for the earlier Annihilation events (relatively high-profile villain who's been used very little on the cosmic side of the MU), but I've never found that character to be particularly interesting

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Open Marriage Night posted:

There’s also a Marvel Legends figure and a statue or two.

And an outfit in the Spider-Man game, wearing it even gets you special insults from JJJ.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

And an outfit in the Spider-Man game, wearing it even gets you special insults from JJJ.

That's ephemeral. the other poo poo is something that's a physical object that will be in someone's house. I don't believe in witchcraft, but if I did, that's some serious psychic magic Vulpes could access.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Njashi9 posted:

What was the non-classic look that it's a shame they're not using anymore?

Njashi9
Nov 2, 2012

Edge & Christian posted:

What was the non-classic look that it's a shame they're not using anymore?

This one that made it's first appearance i think in the 2005 Defenders series (and was used in the Marvel vs Capcom games).

It wouldn't surprise me though if this design never stuck around. I honestly don't remember seeing Dormammu used that much in the last 15 years.

I don't hate the classic design, but it's a bit goofy and forgettable. I do like the head design a bit more though.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

https://www.cbr.com/ben-reilly-spider-man-return-peter-parker-death/amp/ posted:

The announcement of the writing team taking over for Nick Spencer on Amazing Spider-Man continues to hint at Ben Reilly's return being linked to Peter Parker's death.

Kelly Thompson, Saladin Ahmed, Cody Ziglar, Patrick Gleason and Zeb Wells are the new writers on Amazing Spider-Man #75 in October, with the group of artists joining them to be announced at a later date. Amazing Spider-Man will also become a thrice-monthly title as Ben Reilly brings with the Beyond Corporation with him.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

Spider-News

Huh. I can dig it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Wait what? Instead of bringing back the marriage he's just killing Peter? I like almost all of those writers, but no thank you to that poo poo at all. I already suffered through this bullshit once in the 90s, I'm not doing it again.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

I could be wrong, but I'm getting distinct Uncanny X-Men Disassembled vibes here, by which I mean that this feels like a stopgap storyline before a new #1 next year

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Okay I fell out of the Spidey loop a while ago; I know Spencer's run is ending but why are there 5 writers for that one issue?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Vince MechMahon posted:

Wait what? Instead of bringing back the marriage he's just killing Peter? I like almost all of those writers, but no thank you to that poo poo at all. I already suffered through this bullshit once in the 90s, I'm not doing it again.

lol comic books ftmfw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Vince MechMahon posted:

Generally something done at the end of a writer's run is to set up the status quo the next writer wants coming in. It's just most of the time it's putting everything back to the normal status quo like Slott did when he had Parker Industries destroyed at the end of his run so the next writer could have Peter being poor again.

The full article makes it clear that this is the brain child of Zeb Wells. And that the team is being put together to rotate like ASM did before Slott since it's going thrice monthly.

X-O fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 24, 2021