Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Coffee And Pie posted:

I’ve been wanting to try sous vide for such a long time, enjoy! And don’t forget to give it a good sear!

You can just get one of these immersion sticks, they work fine and don't take up as much space when not in use. I really like mine as it takes a lot of the guesswork and babysitting out of cooking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I have one and it's very much a special occasion sort of thing for me because one, the effects are more noticeable with an extremely thick cut of meat and two, it just requires a lot more planning.

And I think in the end I don't like the meat better it's just very different and is a very nice experience because it's very soft and every bite is ideally the same.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Aramek posted:

I have one and it's very much a special occasion sort of thing for me because one, the effects are more noticeable with an extremely thick cut of meat and two, it just requires a lot more planning.

I cook daily for a family of four and every week or two for guests so for me it's very convenient to be able to cook things in advance without having to watch it. That is one of the reason I love stew-like recipes.

It's not the first time I try sous vide, I dipped my toes in it with a ghetto setup with a temperature probe and a pan full of water but it's nowhere near the same experience.

I absolutely love good food as much as I love cooking so this thing is going to be put to good use for sure. Next time I'll try it with some salmon.

e: it's serving time!

e2: trip report ; the thing which surprised me the most was not the texture (it was OK but still depending a lot on the cut) but the flavor. The taste of the spices I added in the bag yesterday was extremely present. So much it was a bit disconcerting. It's really cool and I think I'm going to use that feature a lot.

SpaceGoatFarts has a new favorite as of 19:29 on Jun 15, 2021

mystes
May 31, 2006

I got a sous vide circulator like a year ago and it isn't life changing or anything, but it is very convenient for some foods and I use it a decent amount.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

Captain Invictus posted:

is this the sort of speaker that shakes building windows when you drive down the road, or is it only inside the car that the effects are felt

The trunk and doors are lined with extra sound deadener so unless the windows are down you can't hear much outside. Added bonus is that even when the stereo is off road noise is pretty much non-existent now.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Glad you like your sous vide system. I got an Anova one and what I like about it is I can put it in different-sized containers. For example, for basic steak-sized dishes it can go in my plastic cereal box-sized container dedicated for this, and when I sous vide'ed a turducken I just put it in my cooler & covered the top with cling film.

Content:

Lost enough weight that I needed new shirts, so I grabbed this Arc'teryx short sleeve button up off eBay.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

You know it's funny because I think these things are perfect for salmon or tuna steaks and those are some of the only things I've never done in the sous vide.

Bonus points if you have a blowtorch or a Searzall attachment.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Speaking of Searzall, apparently the original versions aren't being made anymore & I got a knock-off one. I chose the version that can work with propane torches instead of the butane ones (I already use propane for camping lanterns) but my Bernzomatic already broke. Any suggestions on another unit?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

The trunk and doors are lined with extra sound deadener so unless the windows are down you can't hear much outside. Added bonus is that even when the stereo is off road noise is pretty much non-existent now.

ok you're cool

the guys who drive down the road at 4AM with bowel-loosening bass rumbling everything within a 500 meter radius are not cool

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Captain Invictus posted:

ok you're cool

the guys who drive down the road at 4AM with bowel-loosening bass rumbling everything within a 500 meter radius are not cool

There’s a guy who posts up outside my window just BLARING his car stereo, usually after 10. This is an apartment building.

I think he’s picking up someone here or something but I still want to hurl a brick at his car from my window

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

A Rustoleum RockSolid epoxy kit to coat my garage floor, and some concrete crack filler.

I got the cracks filled tonight, epoxy goes on in the morning. 🤞🏻

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I bought the new Sony WF-1000XM4 earbuds. They are fantastic. Big improvement over the previous generation and the best sound I've ever heard in Bluetooth headphones.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

skooma512 posted:

There’s a guy who posts up outside my window just BLARING his car stereo, usually after 10. This is an apartment building.

I think he’s picking up someone here or something but I still want to hurl a brick at his car from my window
I once read a story about some vengeful person, possibly a goon, absolutely ruining a car(poured spoiled milk on the windshield and it trickled down through and made the whole thing smell rancid forever) if anyone deserves it it's people who have external car subwoofers and literally cause the ground to shake wherever they go regardless of time

loving hate that poo poo, I'm a light sleeper so it's doubly terrible. it's like the guys I work with who bring suitcase speakers to work with them and absolutely blast dad rock that's audible halfway across the building above all the machinery, like not everyone wants to hear your oldies my dude, get some earbuds. Just utterly selfish shitheads who don't give a drat about other people, only their own satisfaction.

anyways, since I'm turning into an old person, I've decided to get a jump on things and get addicted to hard candy early with filled raspberry hard candies. love this poo poo.

Captain Invictus has a new favorite as of 11:20 on Jun 16, 2021

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I deal with that at my apartment pool. It’s a really nice pool so groups show up that don’t live there and bring their giant speakers.

It’s always frat guys in American flag clothes and it’s always dad rock.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Dad rock owns. It's the most normal and thus the best kind of rock.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
ok dad

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Got a new amp and subwoofer for my car...

Kicker KXA 5 channel...

https://www.kicker.com/kxa8005-hybrid-5-channel-amplifier-with-400-watt-subwoofer-channel

And a Kicker Solobaric L7...

https://www.kicker.com/solo-baric-l7s-12-subwoofer-box

I replaced all the door speakers and put a shitload of dynamat in awhile back. The stock head unit wasn't doing the new speakers justice though. Having some good power running through everything made a HUGE difference.

All the work it took to run new wiring and make everything look clean was definitely worth the work. It sounds absolutely awesome now. Looks 100% stock aside from the trunk 😎

Edit... https://youtu.be/QncWkC8FfLY

That video doesn't sound as good through my phone mic as it does first hand, but you can hear how much the dynamat keeps the sound inside.

I'm here for it. Did you use dynamat in the doors and to seal them up? I like soundskin for that stuff.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I like my 10 inch sub in my Mazda2 because the car is so tiny it’s easy to fill and doesn’t spill out the bass.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Crab Dad posted:

I like my 10 inch sub in my Mazda2 because the car is so tiny it’s easy to fill and doesn’t spill out the bass.

Do you bump dad rock or crab dad rock?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Do you bump dad rock or crab dad rock?

Obviously crab dad rock but seriously 90s and 00s stuff like Portishead with a mix of newer “modern rock” stuff.

Sometimes I break out the Big Krit, The Game and WuTang to give the sub an extra workout.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

Coredump posted:

I'm here for it. Did you use dynamat in the doors and to seal them up? I like soundskin for that stuff.

Sorry, I was using Dynamat as a generic term for sound deadener. I didn't use the brand name stuff. I used this...

https://www.amazon.com/Noico-deadening-Automotive-Insulation-dampening/dp/B00URUIKAK

It's WAY cheaper than actual Dynamat or Soundskin. Only comparison I have is hearing a friends car after he installed actual Dynamat. I liked the results enough to do it in my car but holy hell is it expensive. Soundskin even more so. The stuff I got had great reviews so I gave it a try.

From what I gather the name brand stuff looks to be more flexible and easier to cut. No heat gun required for the good stuff either. The generic stuff I got isn't supposed to need a heat gun either but I used one and it definitely made it easier to press it into seams and corners.

As far as results it cut down road noise A LOT. The doors and trunk close with a solid "thunk" compared to the hollow sound of an average 14 year old Subaru.

Talking about music, well it just sounds better. I don't have as much of that droning road noise sound to competing with the speakers. I don't hear as much of that metallic "resonating" anymore either. By that I mean it's the difference between listening to music in a tin shed vs a bank vault.

It could actually be better too. I didn't want to go through ripping out the mechanism for the windows when I installed the stuff so there's a lot of places I could have insulated better. One day I might rip out the headliner and do the roof too. But yeah, it's good stuff 😃

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Sorry, I was using Dynamat as a generic term for sound deadener. I didn't use the brand name stuff. I used this...

https://www.amazon.com/Noico-deadening-Automotive-Insulation-dampening/dp/B00URUIKAK

It's WAY cheaper than actual Dynamat or Soundskin. Only comparison I have is hearing a friends car after he installed actual Dynamat. I liked the results enough to do it in my car but holy hell is it expensive. Soundskin even more so. The stuff I got had great reviews so I gave it a try.

From what I gather the name brand stuff looks to be more flexible and easier to cut. No heat gun required for the good stuff either. The generic stuff I got isn't supposed to need a heat gun either but I used one and it definitely made it easier to press it into seams and corners.

As far as results it cut down road noise A LOT. The doors and trunk close with a solid "thunk" compared to the hollow sound of an average 14 year old Subaru.

Talking about music, well it just sounds better. I don't have as much of that droning road noise sound to competing with the speakers. I don't hear as much of that metallic "resonating" anymore either. By that I mean it's the difference between listening to music in a tin shed vs a bank vault.

It could actually be better too. I didn't want to go through ripping out the mechanism for the windows when I installed the stuff so there's a lot of places I could have insulated better. One day I might rip out the headliner and do the roof too. But yeah, it's good stuff 😃

I helped someone install dynamat once and was surprised at how heavy it is. luckily my current car doesn't need it as it already is really quiet, but defo needed the sub.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

LifeSunDeath posted:

I helped someone install dynamat once and was surprised at how heavy it is. luckily my current car doesn't need it as it already is really quiet, but defo needed the sub.

It's shockingly heavy. I think I ended up using 60lbs total between the doors and trunk. It'd probably take about that amount to do the roof and the floor pan.

If you're thinking about installing a sub may I make a suggestion?

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_575P3...xBoCtT0QAvD_BwE

My nephew has one of those in a Ford Escape with an otherwise stock stereo. Also talked a buddy at work with an Explorer into buying one. It sounds absolutely amazing for the price. It'll go loud enough to drown out the stock speakers easily.

If you've ever done anything with electrical poo poo, car or not, you could hook it up with little trouble. It's not ridiculously big either so it'll fit in any car. My nephew uses his car for Uber so he even rigged up a quick release harness so he can pull it out in a hurry.

If you wanna get a Solobaric of your own I ain't gonna talk you out of it though. Loud music is fun 😎

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Bought one of them newfangled records

Also a beer but in a different establishment

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

FreudianSlippers posted:

Scientist rules.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

I ordered this bookcase:

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Thats a really neat bookcase

I use my sous vide thing as a defroster now more than anything....

It's really good for defrosting.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
X-posting myself from the GBS Sardines Thread:

Android Apocalypse posted:

Finally went to La Bouffe International Market near my place. Grabbed some Bon Appetit squid (jumbo squid with garlic flavour & stuffed squid in American Sauce), Mainz octopus in Spanish olive oil, Angelo Parodi mackerel fillets in olive oil. Can of Lion Heart Kombucha Bliss (ginger with lemon & lavender).

Trip report during the week as I slowly eat them in salads I make with the produce I'll pick up at tomorrow's farmer's market.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

FreudianSlippers posted:

Very jealous. Dang.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Drinking at a dive bar for my GF"s birthday, we bought some pull tabs...spent $20, won $4, put that $4 into more pull tabs and ended up with nothing.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Pull tabs are the absolute worst, most boring form of gambling. Worse than scratch offs. I kind of get why they exist but goddamn, at least put keno in or something (the local laws probably don't allow it of course).

johnnyratbastard
Nov 9, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

The best album. Nice.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Inspector 34 posted:

Pull tabs are the absolute worst, most boring form of gambling. Worse than scratch offs. I kind of get why they exist but goddamn, at least put keno in or something (the local laws probably don't allow it of course).

Tell me about it. But, her birthday and that's what she wanted.

But yeah, at least scratch offs you can go slowly, pretend you're getting your money's worth... especially if it's one of those "game" ones like the crossword or Pac-Man games... but pull tabs are over in half a second.

And you're right, local laws don't allow real gambling at bars here, and I think technically the pull tab profits go to a non-profit?

Fake edit: Yup.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The serious scratch off addicts just go until they find the game key and then check the result part.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

FreudianSlippers posted:

I'd really like to try the beer version of this album.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Whelp bought a Roomba i6 self empty on an impulse prime day warehouse deal for less than 1/3 the regular price. Very curious to test it out head to head against the Shark IQ self empty vacuum and see if it’s meaningfully better!

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

OSU_Matthew posted:

Whelp bought a Roomba i6 self empty on an impulse prime day warehouse deal for less than 1/3 the regular price. Very curious to test it out head to head against the Shark IQ self empty vacuum and see if it’s meaningfully better!

Make sure to glue on googly eyes!

I bought a 1960s sign off eBay

I have it hanging next to my basement bathroom.

Blue Footed Booby has a new favorite as of 04:34 on Jun 22, 2021

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Make sure to glue on googly eyes!

I bought a 1960 sign off eBay

I have it hanging next to my basement bathroom.

After 8 months of waiting, we recently got our new fridge delivered from Wayfair, and first thing we did was transfer over the googley eyes :3:

Those shelter signs are neat! We had one on my high school. The shelter itself was chock full of old rotting junk from the 70s like chairs and old furniture. Not that there’d really be any point of seeking shelter in any global nuclear apocalypse anyways.

You should get one of those Civil Defense Geiger counters to go along with it, it’s fun to make clickey clacks over uranium core samples and depression glass :science:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

OSU_Matthew posted:

After 8 months of waiting, we recently got our new fridge delivered from Wayfair, and first thing we did was transfer over the googley eyes :3:

Those shelter signs are neat! We had one on my high school. The shelter itself was chock full of old rotting junk from the 70s like chairs and old furniture. Not that there’d really be any point of seeking shelter in any global nuclear apocalypse anyways.

You should get one of those Civil Defense Geiger counters to go along with it, it’s fun to make clickey clacks over uranium core samples and depression glass :science:

Would you believe that just after I read your post and said "lol nah" eBay gave me a Special Offer? My counter (complete with documentation and current calibration cert) is nominally on the way.

Also I heart your fridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice
Got some new tools at Lowes. A decent ladder to replace the rickety old one the previous owners of the house left behind. Some sawhorses too...

Those are to help with all this other poo poo I bought...

We finally got tired of the whole house being white from too to bottom. Went with these colors...

"Purple Royalty" for the kitchen and dining room and "Boisterous Blue" for the doors and shutters.