Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
executives commonly do not live in reality and usually have completely insane ideas both on 1. what will actually be good and 2. what will make more money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the best example of that kinda 'gross fans!!' discourse being a bit toxic is, bang dream is a multimedia franchise about a bunch of high school girl fans. it has a very heavily female fanbase who are mostly in it for female/female shipping, there's not that many male fans whatsoever and the writing is very focused on the relationships between the characters, there's no player self-insert in the mobile game or audience stand in in the anime.

like - two? - years ago there was an incident where they randomly had a character refer to her 'little brother.' the character was specifically an only child, it was part of her characterization up to that point and had been referenced before, so some people complained about it or were confused. one of the writers said they just figured her mother had another kid, people complained a bit more that it would have been nice to have an event focused on the character like, preparing to be a big sister, or adjusting to the idea of suddenly having a sibling, that kinda thing, rathe than just having the concept dropped in, since the game is very focused on minutiae like that.

one of the higher-ups at the company that makes bang dream then went on stage and said 'Well, its fine to have men around, so long as they're too old or too young to get it up!!!' sitcom laugh track. it was a huge incident, people complaiend massively, the line referencing her brother was completely removed in an attempt to pretend it never happened. several pretty prominent fanartists completely disengaged with the franchise in disgust, it didn't kill the franchise or anything but it turned a fair few people off and soured the fanbase.

western news sites dutifully reported this as 'gross male fans riot because a boy talked to their precious waifu'.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Gudako should get voiced by Tomoko Kaneda:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcLaowF97rw

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'd be interested in seeing if having the female character be default in a gacha game would significantly shift the demographic of which version was used more.

I would completely buy both "most people match their gender" and "most people just go with the default".

Endorph posted:

no not really, gudako is way more popular than gudao. people always say stuff like this and its never because of the fans, its because of executives.

Are you basing that off which has more fanart or did it come up in a poll? The ones I've seen were always just for servants.

The Colonel posted:

i think the cruft is part of why nasu's stories are intereting and why they're a bit unadaptable. hopefully if they have any plans for an anime for tsukihime remake, it's being planned in advance in a way that can work on its own cause uh. man. gently caress. i watched the og tsuki anime this year and it was... one of the most loving boring vn adaptations i've ever seen. and i am a huge hater of the first season of the higurashi anime. but like at least you almost get the basic beats out of that, the tsuki anime is like... i dunno if you could make a more boring and toothless adaptation than what they gave us.

sacchin legitimately would've been better off with nothing than what that anime gave her.

I think he could use another editing pass to cut down on some of the redundant parts but overall that's what I was trying to get at; A lot of FSN isn't 'necessary' to the plot or understanding the characters or anything but that doesn't mean it doesn't add to it.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

im pretty sure gudako and djeeta are both more popular despite not being default

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Djeeta cute

I like the class outfit for Soldier where she's Ripley and Gran is Rambo

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Gran and Gudao are extremely popular theres just like a western narrative that no one likes them. it's not based in reality at all outside EN twitter takes.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
getting mad at basketball

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Gran and Gudao are extremely popular theres just like a western narrative that no one likes them. it's not based in reality at all outside EN twitter takes.

iirc the famitsu surveys have djeeta being used more than gran but i could be misremembering

i don't actually know for sure about gudao vs gudako but she feels more popular i guess

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

this is more about who people like more not whether people don't like them, at least was what I meant

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

GFL went with fem!commander for its official manga adaptation and she rules. It did prompt the loreheads to call her a mary sue and send the mangaka a 10+ page google doc on how to write her better but I guess I should have expected no better from the fanbase that is the worst confluence of gun nuts, armchair generals and gacha addicts.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ibblebibble posted:

GFL went with fem!commander for its official manga adaptation and she rules. It did prompt the loreheads to call her a mary sue and send the mangaka a 10+ page google doc on how to write her better but I guess I should have expected no better from the fanbase that is the worst confluence of gun nuts, armchair generals and gacha addicts.

Doesn't that have like, four that are a mix of genders?

I think the only major gacha game I basically never see a female player character in is AL.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Aurora posted:

iirc the famitsu surveys have djeeta being used more than gran but i could be misremembering

i don't actually know for sure about gudao vs gudako but she feels more popular i guess

Gudao is alot more popular than you'd think, which I actually find kind of bizarre since unlike Gran he has way more of a bland design.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Altho I think Gudako also has a very boring design within the confines of the game itself too. People do fun things with both of them in fan art and such but they are so drat boring as is.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

verbal enema posted:

getting mad at basketball
Hopping mad or just generally disappointed?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Granted it's a small sample size but the people I know that play Granblue majority prefer Djeeta their is a sizeable group that play and like Gran.

Western fans misreading or misinterpreting anime statistics is nothing new. Some western Precure fans still think the adult male audience is the second biggest market even when sales figures in Bandai/Toei reports state adult women are the second biggest market after kids

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
gudako gets good outfits. her summer 3 is a great design

it's kinda just a bummer that like the fgo manga actually do fun stuff with gudao/gudako in terms of personality while the anime stuff is always so... bland

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jun 20, 2021

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

do we know what the numbers are on which Traveler people more often play as in Genshin? I vaguely remember when it first released the brother was the more common choice but idk if that was true or, if so, is still the case

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It's kinda of the same for Gran in the GBF anime. He feels so dull cause the anime is following the game story for the most part whereas the Djeeta episodes are unique stories and thus feel more fun.

Which is why when Gran gets an episode where it's an original story he gets to show way more personality

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

rise up, players who picked aether to game the fact that men run and climb faster to speedrun the intro and do rerolls

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Keep in mind for a lot of games like that you get weird statistics for stuff like "all players" vs "active players"

iirc if you go by all players FF14 is overwhelmingly male humans, but if you go by people who have actually logged in within the last month or something the most popular is catgirls by a lot

(either way I play the least popular sex/race combination, though. whoops!)

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Gudao being so bland in the anime is extra weird considering the player gets some good lines in FGO.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Aurora posted:

im pretty sure gudako and djeeta are both more popular despite not being default

Gudako IS the default option in FGO.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

DoubleDonut posted:

Is that still roegadames?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

dogsicle posted:

rise up, players who picked aether to game the fact that men run and climb faster to speedrun the intro and do rerolls

wait they do

wtf

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

dogsicle posted:

It's funny how people picked lumine because she's voiced by aoi yuuki but you only hear her talk if you picked aether. joker's trick.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Aurora posted:

wait they do

wtf

men run/climb faster, women swim faster. those seem to increase alongside height, so there might be less disadvantage of a comparison between like teen boy and tallest woman but i don't remember seeing such specific comparisons.

this would also mean short characters just plain suck, which is weird

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i guess I should run around as eula instead of klee....

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

Is that still roegadames?

Looks like it.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

who doesn't

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Aurora posted:

wait they do

wtf

It's primarily a function of height, and the short male skeleton is slightly taller than the short female skeleton.

in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjjhjaU14dM

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i guess now is the time to find out if my dash spamming is actually worse than just running

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm glad that at least with sayu they are giving me not only an epic shortie, but she can roll into a ball and sonic around the overworld at (presumably) increased speeds for 10s intervals

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

games need to stop discriminating by gender and start discriminating by height

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Stexils posted:

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Stexils posted:

Dragon's dogma reigns supreme

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's funny how people picked lumine because she's voiced by aoi yuuki but you only hear her talk if you picked aether. joker's trick.

i hate this poo poo so much! it's the worst in astral chain too. don't make me lose out on a character's voice acting just cause i wanted to play as them!

the worst worst instances of this are some old licensed vns. why do the strawberry panic and strike witches ps2 games not give va to the pov character. i don't think yoshika is much of a player insert here. why doesn't she get va...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

'way' was overexaggeration on my part sure but she gets more fanart and stuff, i never said gudao was unpopular or everyone hated him, he has fans too. and granblue is for the bl ladies at this point so gran is very popular yes. idk if youre talking generally here or this is aimed at me but if its the latter uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. anyway at the very least theres no reason to say that the fans would riot if gudako was used in an anime.

DoubleDonut posted:

Keep in mind for a lot of games like that you get weird statistics for stuff like "all players" vs "active players"

iirc if you go by all players FF14 is overwhelmingly male humans, but if you go by people who have actually logged in within the last month or something the most popular is catgirls by a lot

thats primarily because every bot account is just a generic human dude. not even accounting for logged in for the last month, if you just go by like, 'has made any progress at all past what bots do' catgirls win.

the regional differences are also kinda funny. like on that chart that got posted, female lalafell are nearly as popular as catgirls in japan, and the lionmen are somewhat popular in na but barely anyone plays them in jp