Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

Dammerung posted:

I feel like Kill Six Billion Demons has a tiny bit of that problem right now, but in the other direction.

this is a point that i'm going to have to vehemently disagree with. i've felt that every single page, including in this fight scene, has been an absolute cliffhanger on what will happen next.

i mean... this is it. this is the pay off of the character build ups. this is the 7 most powerful beings in existence, finally showing us how they've managed to keep their power for so long. it's fine and good that no one has been jobbed yet. the only one to take a decent blow so far has been mammon, but 'surviving one hit' doesn't diminish jagganoth's power. we're getting back to the entire theme of the comic. strength is not the solution. i fully expect at least one demiurge death here, but the resolution will not be defeating jagganoth, or even driving him back, but finding another way entirely. strength beyond strength, etc. without this fight scene, we would never get a proper display of the powers that were so built up to us. i think wanting the resolution to come faster is obviously natural, but we've been so spoiled with the immaculate pacing so far, that to complain about the fight scene feels pretty trifling.

also i sincerely apologize to this thread for even mentioning gunnerkrigg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I have never read a single page of Gunnerkrieg Court or whatever and God willing I never will!!!!!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I just think in terns of spectacle we've only seen one actual good hit so far (the one that temp statued jaggs) and everything else has been ineffective at even seeming to do any damage, one way or the other. I'm not averse to spectacle, and I recognize the demiurges are tough as nails, but I want to see someone take some damage!

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

I just think in terns of spectacle we've only seen one actual good hit so far (the one that temp statued jaggs) and everything else has been ineffective at even seeming to do any damage, one way or the other. I'm not averse to spectacle, and I recognize the demiurges are tough as nails, but I want to see someone take some damage!

WE'RE LIKE 13 PAGES INTO THE ACTUAL FIGHT, AND LITERALLY 3 PAGES INTO EVERYONE BEING SERIOUS ABOUT IT.

e: this post was not intended to be in caps, but i guess it can stay.

Ocean of Milk
Jun 25, 2018

oh yeah
I feel like any perceived issue about things not moving fast enough is due to the facts of the webcomic release format where you can drip feed at most 2-3 quality pages a week. It feels slow to us now, but like, when you read these pages in one piece (either when the whole thing is done or really already in a few months when you feel like a re-read) I'm sure it's gonna be fine, as that is the mode any sane author should and does optimize for, because this timeframe of "a few weeks around release of the page" is such a insignificant nothing in the entire lifetime of the work, it doesn't make much sense to alter the actual comic substantially to make the pacing feel right for this weird mode where you read a page a week.

There have been 55 pages in the last book so far, most without copious amounts of text. I'd guess it takes at most 30 minutes to read those pages in one sitting. My god, I had a look at the gunning court thing because I had never heard about it before and read like 150 pages in I dunno, an hour?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Who What Now posted:

I have never read a single page of Gunnerkrieg Court or whatever and God willing I never will!!!!!

The thing about it is that none of us would care if Gunnerkrigg just always sucked. It's the fact that a lot of the stories in it at it's peak a few years back were genuinely moving that makes the current version of the strip feel so disappointing and off.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Dammerung posted:

Weirdly enough, I feel like Kill Six Billion Demons has a tiny bit of that problem right now, but in the other direction. Abbadon's talented enough that his art and the combat makes this incredibly engaging to read, but we haven't really gotten anywhere in... however long this has been going down. They're up in the air, sure, and Jagganoth and Alison have changed forms, but we haven't seen anybody die, get significantly injured, or anything that seems like it's about to draw this fight to a conclusion. Heck, Jagganoth's the only one with any potentially battle-changing battle damage so far. I know on Twitter that Abbadon's taking a break and that this fight will start to reach its conclusion after this, and while I'm definitely going to miss the spectacle of the fight, I'm also going to be happy to see something radically change.

I'm with you on this. Jagganoth vs Everyone is on page 55 of however many and the only two major changes throughout have been Allison transforming and Jagganoth transforming, and neither have seemed to change the dynamics of the fight to any appreciable amount.

Meanwhile White Chain vs Solomon was 18 pages (plus denouement), and it maintained its tension up to Solomon's concession.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

jng2058 posted:

The thing about it is that none of us would care if Gunnerkrigg just always sucked. It's the fact that a lot of the stories in it at it's peak a few years back were genuinely moving that makes the current version of the strip feel so disappointing and off.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3351001&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011
for real tho, my bad.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Zoss already got murked, since then he's been trying to convince Allison to embrace will and solidarity.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
IMHO yeah the fight's getting a bit long considering there's so much left to resolve, but there's probably more tension here for a casual reader who's not been spoiled that Jaggs is 100% invincible.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
On the War For Rayuba front, StudyOfMonsters did their Judge Interlude comic last week, and I just finished my interlude comic, which is a followup to theirs, today.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

You know things have gotten serious when somebody blows up a moon. Awesome stuff for sure, from both of you!

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Dammerung posted:

You know things have gotten serious when somebody blows up a moon. Awesome stuff for sure, from both of you!

That actually happened in the Round 3 clash on Bastion's side! One of the more unfortunate things about the format of the tournament this time is that the sheer volume of comics is such that it's really fuckin' hard to follow if you're not already in the loop. Thankfully, one of the contestants (Mr. Black) made a neat interactive map that lets you see the matchups on any particular square during any particular round in the past.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

YaketySass posted:

IMHO yeah the fight's getting a bit long considering there's so much left to resolve, but there's probably more tension here for a casual reader who's not been spoiled that Jaggs is 100% invincible.

I mean... it was stated in-comic that he's 100% invulnerable, but like... that just means you need to be more than 100% dangerous, the binding did work briefly! There's some tension there, though I hope it's not just 'believe in yourself and be the true fool and you can do the impossible' because that's less interesting than something like the White Chain vs. Solomon David fight, where doing the impossible wasn't enough to win the fight, but also winning the fight wasn't necessary in the end.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

3 posted:

That actually happened in the Round 3 clash on Bastion's side! One of the more unfortunate things about the format of the tournament this time is that the sheer volume of comics is such that it's really fuckin' hard to follow if you're not already in the loop. Thankfully, one of the contestants (Mr. Black) made a neat interactive map that lets you see the matchups on any particular square during any particular round in the past.

Very cool! I'll have to look at this more soon.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Dammerung posted:

Very cool! I'll have to look at this more soon.

It's worth the effort, there's so much talent it's mindblowing.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Agreed that it’s a loving lot to keep up with, I’m in the drat thing and I don’t know half the characters, and it’s only going to get worse since the People Make Games video literally tripled the population.

Extremely worth it, though. Find a few characters you like and spread out from there.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I hope there's some kind of compilation for the war once it all ends, it's a monumental work that I'm utterly incapable of keeping up with.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
The fight will end in a very conclusive way soon-ish

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Kill 6 Billion poo poo Posts

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

3 posted:

Yeah I started out with the battle but got overwhelmed. A post war road map for reading through the various lines would be very helpful, although I recognize it is asking for a lot (more) voluntary work to get it.

Will wade back in when I have some free time, although I'll take any goons recommended stub to start at.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Bilirubin posted:

Kill 6 Billion poo poo Posts

Reach Heaven Through Posting

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
i cannot emphasize how conclusively this fight will end

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

Operant posted:

i believe you and i am here for it.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Operant posted:

I'm just glad to be along for the ride.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Operant posted:

Will this be the thing we will all hate?

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS

Bilirubin posted:

Will this be the thing we will all hate?

oh yeah definitely some people are gonna jump down my throat about it without waiting for the comic to explore it further i bet, i may have to put disclaimers up

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

don't worry i've got plenty of room left in the bucket to fit "thank god goons don't write kill six billion demons" too

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Operant posted:

oh yeah definitely some people are gonna jump down my throat about it without waiting for the comic to explore it further i bet, i may have to put disclaimers up

:sickos:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Operant posted:

Is it weird that this is the best news I’ve heard all week?

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

Operant posted:

I am pumped to be filled with despair and/or outrage and have been training under Master Karen to maintain maximum scream output without breaking for breath. My screeching for a manager will haunt your dreams for the rest of your existence.

Also, I hope you have a really good break seeing your family and loved ones, you deserve it!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Operant posted:

hell yes

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Operant posted:

Gog is the internet

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
:hellyeah:

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Operant posted:

I believe in you! Break my heart, you magnificent monster!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Gog is the internet

That's bullshit, but I believe it.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Gog is a series of fleshy tubes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World Famous W