Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Is the step up program still going on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

ilkhan posted:

It's still xe architecture, they've been in igpus since what, tiger lake-u? They've been fine afaik.

Fine as in like half the AAA games I've tried over the years have no idea how to even launch on Intel integrated gfx? Maybe it's better lately, but DX11 stuff was often a coin-toss.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Zero VGS posted:

Fine as in like half the AAA games I've tried over the years have no idea how to even launch on Intel integrated gfx? Maybe it's better lately, but DX11 stuff was often a coin-toss.
Hmm. Hadn't heard that, but I don't have a xe GPU, and won't for another month'ish.

Ironic with all the supply shortages that it'll be the first time I've had 2 current gen GPUs... (3070 and 3050ti-m).

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 19, 2021

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Odd Mutant posted:

Is the step up program still going on?

Step-up is always there. The question is, how long are the queues? There was a period from around March-May where you could get a 3090 within a month. Apparently if you signed up reasonably quickly for a 3070 Ti you could get one. What does that mean if you bought an appropriate GPU today, waited for it to come in, and signed up for a particular queue? Not necessarily much, especially because many more people have started considering it as an option and thus the queues have lengthened even for the more expensive GPUs.

Keep in mind that prices are coming down. The subsiding crypto demand is definitely having an impact, at least for the time being. That doesn't mean reasonable prices any time soon, but it may mean comparable prices to buying the most expensive air-cooled GPU from the most expensive manufacturer. Plenty of people have been bit bad by long step-up queues in the past. Is it a good bet right now? You'd have to make that call yourself.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

South posted:

Who was it that first posted about using the EVGA 210 KR to step up to the 3090? I owe them.

I just received my 3rd step(submit payment) notification yesterday June 18th for a 3070ti. I got the notification for the 2nd step on the 16th. I was able to sign up for the step up on July 10th at 07:16 PDT, just over an hour after the 3070tis were opened up for EVGA Elite members.

I signed up for the standard notification at 07:04 PDT, but I haven’t received any notifications yet.

So they've gotten through the first hour of step-up requests in nine days. I wonder how many people got in that quickly. The time on my Step 1 email would be 11:30 PDT, so I'm probably pretty far down in the line... on the other hand, the 3070 Ti may not be a desirable card to lure people out of other step-up queues.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
For step up on the 3080ti, I got step1 on June 3rd, step2 on June 7th, and received my card yesterday

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I haven't seen a single movement on anything I've done on evga since I started

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1406149054166351873?s=20

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Alan Smithee posted:

I haven't seen a single movement on anything I've done on evga since I started

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1406149054166351873?s=20

What in the flying gently caress

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://acegraphicscards.com/

I can't attest to the legitimacy of this store but Unobtanium crossposted that they were doing bundle drops

quote:

Hey @everyone, TONIGHT @ 5 PM PST / 8 PM EST Ace Graphics Cards will be doing a small drop of GPU combos on Unobtainium.
There are only 6 cards available, and they’re all part of combos, BUT it’s a chance to get a GPU!

Here are the available combos: https://acegraphicscards.com/collections/june-17th-30-card-drop/products/copy-of-card-lineup-for-june-17th-drop

3 Piece Bundle: EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 XC + EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GA Power Supply + EVGA Z15 RGB Gaming Keyboard for $820

3 Piece Bundle: GIGABYTE RTX 3070 OC + GIB z390 Pro Mobo + EVGA BQ 850W Bronze PSU for $1,465

3 Piece Bundle: EVGA RTX 3070 ULTRA XC3 + GIB z390 Pro Mobo + EVGA BQ 850W Bronze PSU for $1,245

3 Piece Bundle: RTX 3070 ZOTAC Twin Edge OC + MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX Mobo + EVGA 850W Bronze PSU for $1,250

2 Piece Bundle: EVGA Geforce RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra + EVGA BQ 850W Bronze PSU for $2,640

2 Piece Bundle: ZOTAC Geforce RTX 3090 Trinity + EVGA BQ 850W Bronze PSU for $2,950

Here are Ace’s social page links:

Discord: https://discord.gg/F6bUMeT7cX
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/acegraphicscards/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AceGraphicsCard
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/acegraphicscards

You will need to make an account ahead of time at https://acegraphicscards.com/account/register

Ace Graphics cards a registered LLC in the state of California.
There will only be tax charged to customers purchasing from California. From all other states, there's no tax collected. That could be a difference of $100-$300. (Your state may still require you to report and pay tax on the purpose come tax time though.)

They take Credit card, PayPal Express, Apple Pay, and Shop Pay, so you’ve got protection if nothing ever shows up. They’ve done similar drops on other stock notification servers, and they seem pretty legit to me, but if something does go wrong, Unobtainium (including its operators) is not liable.

Discussion in #stock-drops if you have questions!

They ship to the US and Canada. Nowhere else, sorry.

When the time comes tonight, I will be posting a picture of the password to get to the purchase page in this channel.

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jun 20, 2021

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Also Costco bundle
https://www.costco.com/msi-aegis-rs-gaming-desktop---10th-gen-intel-core-i9-10900k---geforce-rtx-3080.product.100719183.html

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

According to my cursory glance at ebay this week, the typical lows for sold 3080 cards seem to have dropped $200 from last week to the $1600 to $1700 range now. The average is still a bit higher (with some $1900 and $2000 sales still), but overall it seems prices are continuing to drop for now, at perhaps a faster pace than I expected. This is despite the fact that there are fewer cards being listed now than in the previous few months. The decrease in miner demand is almost certainly the sole factor here, and prices would likely be even lower if card shipments hadn't slowed down. Maybe some of the predictions of the market returning to some semblance of normal within the next three months aren't so far-fetched. Still, the slightest disturbance could gently caress everything up (and the current shipping crisis in china doesn't sound so great)

The "luckiest" ebay buyer of the day is someone who nabbed a brand new 3080 FE for $1375. Hey, that's less than double MSRP!

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

China is a very big country with, I'm sure you've heard, a lot of people. There are many "economically sensitive hotspots," and not all that many vaccine doses to go around yet. ("only" 223 million people fully vaccinated so far)

Yeah. Americans really REALLY shouldn't be dunking on China.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
The YouTuber ETA Prime got his hands on an Intel DG-1 which is apparently shipping in some low-end pre-builts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YobEdN3akfo

Performance is around the same levels as the Vega 8 graphics on the 5700G in his tests.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
it doesn't even have GDDR5?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

gradenko_2000 posted:

it doesn't even have GDDR5?

It is a Tiger Lake iGPU on its own die, meaning Tiger Lake DDR4 memory controller, meaning no GDDR5. Its basically a tech demo, honestly.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jun 20, 2021

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
I wouldn't mind having one or two for my Plex box instead of hunting down cheap used cards. I wonder if in virtual machine the VBIOS (or whatever was missing) could be injected that stops it from working in a non-Intel PC?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So apparently the additional 2GB of VRAM on the 3080 Ti actually does something with recent AAA games? Well, isn't that just dandy, while I'm staring intently at those two unpopulated footprints for 1GB chips on my regular 3080.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Combat Pretzel posted:

So apparently the additional 2GB of VRAM on the 3080 Ti actually does something with recent AAA games? Well, isn't that just dandy, while I'm staring intently at those two unpopulated footprints for 1GB chips on my regular 3080.

lol scrub

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Combat Pretzel posted:

yeah, it bumps the MSRP setting up $400.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Time to bring out the solder iron and fix random chips from Alibaba to it

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

What exactly does it do?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

What exactly does it do?

i hypothesized that the increasing vram arms race might incentivize game developers to actually make some use out of the headroom somehow, idk if that's happening now? the alternative is higher resolutions which need a ton of vram i think.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
The 1080ti also had 10GB. Probably 99% of PC gamers have 8GB or less so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Yeah, I'm not planning on going over 1440p anytime soon, and I think 8GB should handle that fine for the foreseeable future.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

In COD:Black Ops, with 4K/DLSS/RT on, it can use more than 10gigs of vram but it essentially is just caching more textures.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Zero VGS posted:

You can usually just figure out the model number of the fan by unscrewing it, and screwing in a new fan. Most fans are the same three screws to mount, but the make sure the fan diameter and the solderless plug look the same.

Here's an example, check on eBay as well:

https://amazon.com/inRobert-T129215SU-Graphics-GTX980Ti-Fan-3pcs/dp/B07BN2WFJZ/

edit 2: Actually in the listing it says that will specifically work for the strix 1070, so I guess that's the one you'll want. I'm sure YouTube has plenty of walkthroughs for taking off the shroud and swapping those

Been a few weeks since I posted, but my friend ended up ordering a new fan. We installed it today and after a few hours it started doing the exact same thing. Spins up and down with a grinding sound and whines occasionally. The old fan was noticably loose and wobbly, though, but the new one sounds like it did when it first started crapping out, before the sound became near constant. Is he just exceedlingly unlucky and got sent a defective part, or could something else be wrong, like the power connector or something? Card is almost 5 years old at this point, but it's not like he can replace it right now.

Guess he could slap some 120mm fans on it, but the tiny ITX case probably won't allow it (Define Nano S).

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Rusty posted:

Probably 99% of PC gamers have 6” or less so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008
So I'm still pretty far out from a new PC build but lets imagine for a fleeting moment that we live in a perfect world where all GPU's are in stock at MSRP... Is there a de-facto choice for manufacture of RTX 30 series cards Or should I assume EVGA/ASUS/MSI etc are more or less all the same? Even then for example if look at EVGA's site for 3090's and see quite a few different ones past the air vs water cooled option - just curious if there are ones to stay away from / ones that are surefire winners to choose.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

The Rev posted:

So I'm still pretty far out from a new PC build but lets imagine for a fleeting moment that we live in a perfect world where all GPU's are in stock at MSRP... Is there a de-facto choice for manufacture of RTX 30 series cards Or should I assume EVGA/ASUS/MSI etc are more or less all the same? Even then for example if look at EVGA's site for 3090's and see quite a few different ones past the air vs water cooled option - just curious if there are ones to stay away from / ones that are surefire winners to choose.

stay away from the ones that are hella marked up in price because the manufacturer tarted them up with some licensed dealie or waifu bullshit or other horrible taste Limited Edition nonsense*

*the new Gundam GPUs that came out are p cool looking but I still wouldn’t pay extra for one

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

SplitSoul posted:

Guess he could slap some 120mm fans on it, but the tiny ITX case probably won't allow it (Define Nano S).

Take the whole shroud off of it. If you still can't fit a 25mm fan in there, buy either https://amzn.to/35FRjTS or https://amzn.to/3qeBL31

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Canna Happy posted:

Take the whole shroud off of it. If you still can't fit a 25mm fan in there, buy either https://amzn.to/35FRjTS or https://amzn.to/3qeBL31

This, plus if he still wants to control the fan speed he can use a Y-adapter cable to plug into the mobo & either control from BIOS or possibly with software from Windows. I did that with a mini Zotac 1070 I had a couple years ago when the fans died, I found 2 nice Noctua 92mm fans & mounted them on the heatsink after pulling the shroud off. Actually seemed to keep things much, much quieter & cooler compared to the stock fans.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

The Rev posted:

I'm a EVGA stan because their RMA process is much better than having to deal with the clown car show at another AIB company like Gigabyte. Also, they allow you to buy a 10 year warranty for $20, which is one of the last "good deals" left in PC gaming.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Rusty posted:

The 1080ti also had 10GB. Probably 99% of PC gamers have 8GB or less so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

it had 11 GB

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

The Rev posted:

* water-cooled cards are more expensive than air-cooled cards, and are more delicate to service, but can have space advantages and initially will save you on the work of having to do the water-cooling set-up yourself

* cards with larger coolers/more fans usually run cooler than their peers (given the same noise level) or are less audible than their peers (given the same temperature target). I say usually because bad cooler design (not enough mounting pressure, cooler isn't touching the memory chips) can still hobble what might otherwise be a big beefy hunk of metal with three fans. But also, cards with the bigger, more robust coolers carry a premium

* "blower"-type cards tend to run hotter or louder than other air-cooled cards, but tend to be smaller

* cards with a "factory overclock", as in they run faster than the base design out-of-the-box, will carry a premium

it can be tricky to know which particular card is "good" just from broad strokes - ideally you'd see a card that's within your budget, and then you can do some homework on its specs and third-party reviews to see if it's better or worse than the other options for the same base model

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Gamers Nexus also got their hands on a DG1, and provided a much more comprehensive look at it than ETA Prime did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSseaknEv9Q

E: "Please continue your AMD vs Intel feud in a different forum, not ours. Go take it over to Linus or something." :lol:

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jun 21, 2021

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

No shroud?? This isn't the Raja I know #notmyraja

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I don't think I've yet seen a conclusive answer to if the bigger more powerful Intel GPUs will be restricted to certain Intel motherboards or not

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mr.Radar posted:

Gamers Nexus also got their hands on a DG1, and provided a much more comprehensive look at it than ETA Prime did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSseaknEv9Q

E: "Please continue your AMD vs Intel feud in a different forum, not ours. Go take it over to Linus or something." :lol:

Looks like drivers are still an issue.

I’m still not sold on the higher end intel card doing much. I’m sure it will work driver issues aside though.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

oh yeah AMD FSR drops tomorrow

even the r/amd crowd seem to be tempering their expectations at this point, we'll see how it goes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

https://www.scmp.com/tech/policy/article/3138130/bitcoin-crackdown-sends-graphics-cards-prices-plummeting-china-after