Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Don't forget the Space Battle Of Britain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And the Space Somme.

And Space Free French Liberation.

And two different takes on the Space Monte Cassino.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Silly Newbie posted:

I'm re-reading Gaunt's Ghosts after coming off of Godblight and I had a thought - anyone else ever theorycraft what the 40k universe would look like had it not been a British company and colored by their cultural experiences, feelings, and expectations?
Like, the Abnett stuff (which is most of my reading) is so incredible based in England's martial conflicts, what if that all, with the same story beats, been written by American or Japanese or whichever authors?

You don't need to. It already exists, it's called Battletech, it's got all the same story beats (far future, fallen human empire, lost technology etc) and it's kinda meh.

40k is a product of 1970's-80s England and the political/social climate there at the time. If you extract it from that you get something bland and formulaic. American's are too optimistic, even in our dystopian fiction there's always hope and a way out/

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

D-Pad posted:

I really liked how each department has it's own family/clan structure and they raid each other for paper, resources, and women. The clan that is at the bottom of the trash tube that burns paper was awesome too. I absolutely love all the terran subculture poo poo we get glimpses of in the books.

Yeah that poo poo was incredibly good

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Finished my re-read of Titanicus. I had forgotten how much of a gut punch the ending to Cally's plotline is. :(

But at the same time the book feels like it has substory bloat. Outside of the main AdMech there's Zink that goes nowhere, Cally and Stef that ultimately goes nowhere, the toyshop vendor that goes nowhere. It makes you think Etta is going to get relevant but she gets pushed to the side midway through and really doesn't do anything.
The only relevant really is Varco because he does something in the end.

They're nicely done and all but feels like his editor could've told him to drop a couple of substories and focused more on Engine Warfare.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Bucnasti posted:

You don't need to. It already exists, it's called Battletech, it's got all the same story beats (far future, fallen human empire, lost technology etc) and it's kinda meh.

40k is a product of 1970's-80s England and the political/social climate there at the time. If you extract it from that you get something bland and formulaic. American's are too optimistic, even in our dystopian fiction there's always hope and a way out/

It's amazing to me how quickly Battletech abandoned it's setting. In the fourth book, a year and a half realtime into their publishing run, they've already unearthed the Helm Memory Core and the decline of technology stops forever. The 5th, 6th, and 8th books are the Warrior trilogy which reintroduces modern military strategy and pretty much does away with the whole "'mechs are ancestral heirlooms" concept in favor of modern military hardware production. The 9th, 10th, and 11th books introduce the Clans and all semblance of the original "feudal powers in a dark age of technology" concept is swept away, never to return. The first Battletech book came out in September of 1986, the last book of the Clan trilogy in September 1991. It only took them five years to completely upend the setting, and everything since then has been in a pretty much generic MilSF universe with none of the original setting's flavor. :sigh:

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

jng2058 posted:

It's amazing to me how quickly Battletech abandoned it's setting. In the fourth book, a year and a half realtime into their publishing run, they've already unearthed the Helm Memory Core and the decline of technology stops forever. The 5th, 6th, and 8th books are the Warrior trilogy which reintroduces modern military strategy and pretty much does away with the whole "'mechs are ancestral heirlooms" concept in favor of modern military hardware production. The 9th, 10th, and 11th books introduce the Clans and all semblance of the original "feudal powers in a dark age of technology" concept is swept away, never to return. The first Battletech book came out in September of 1986, the last book of the Clan trilogy in September 1991. It only took them five years to completely upend the setting, and everything since then has been in a pretty much generic MilSF universe with none of the original setting's flavor. :sigh:

the Twilight Of The Clans subseries in the mid 90s is the high point of the series imo and early early battletech is SUPER dire. I tried to reread some of the first battletech novels for nostalgia reasons and they are SO bad. It's a series of ultimate mary sues and their special boy adventures, Grayson Carlyle, Hanse and Victor Davion, Justin Allard, etc.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

hopterque posted:

the Twilight Of The Clans subseries in the mid 90s is the high point of the series imo and early early battletech is SUPER dire. I tried to reread some of the first battletech novels for nostalgia reasons and they are SO bad. It's a series of ultimate mary sues and their special boy adventures, Grayson Carlyle, Hanse and Victor Davion, Justin Allard, etc.

Oh no doubt. I'm not saying that they used the original setting particularly well, just that it's surprising that they blew it up so quickly!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
BattleTech fiction is currently suffering from one of their longest running writers just ditching all pretense of being interested in US !ilitary history and being an open Neo-Confederate. The CGL response to this has been better than their response to most problems, in that they have said exactly nothing about it and didn't make it worse somehow.

Arcsquad12 posted:

And the Space Somme.

And Space Free French Liberation.

And two different takes on the Space Monte Cassino.

And Space Telemark.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Arquinsiel posted:

And Space Telemark.

Which book does that apply to? Traitor General? I'm drawing a blank on comparisons to the Telemark raid.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Arcsquad12 posted:

Which book does that apply to? Traitor General? I'm drawing a blank on comparisons to the Telemark raid.
Guns of Tanith. Aerial insertion into a production facility to sabotage it that relied on blending in with the locals conducted with exiled local knowledge.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

The siege of terra is almost word for word a retelling of Norways struggles against its ancestral enemies, the dastardly dane and sinister swede

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Which WH40K book is the Soviet-Japanese war in space?

If there isn't one, there should be one.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Anyone read Fire made Flesh?

The premise sounds interesting enough, but I've not seen a word about it , here or elsewhere.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Arquinsiel posted:

BattleTech fiction is currently suffering from one of their longest running writers just ditching all pretense of being interested in US !ilitary history and being an open Neo-Confederate. The CGL response to this has been better than their response to most problems, in that they have said exactly nothing about it and didn't make it worse somehow.

And Space Telemark.

Speaking of dubious authors I'm surprised given the subject matter and generally chuddish bent of milsci-fi authors that there isn't a proliferation of Nazis in the black library.

We get homoerotic Inquisitorial triologies instead.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Arquinsiel posted:

Oh? Checked out of battletech for years, which one was that.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

jng2058 posted:

Oh no doubt. I'm not saying that they used the original setting particularly well, just that it's surprising that they blew it up so quickly!

Yeah that's the nature of pen and paper gaming, when you're only revenue source is from selling books, you have to find reasons to make people buy more books and what better way to do that than to drastically change the setting. This was true for so many of the RPG franchises that started in the 80s and 90s. GW made the majority of their money in those days off of selling models, and you don't need to blow up the world to justify making a new box of tiny plastic space men so their IP had a lot more time to gel and grow more organically.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Deptfordx posted:

Oh? Checked out of battletech for years, which one was that.
Pardoe.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Arquinsiel posted:

Guns of Tanith. Aerial insertion into a production facility to sabotage it that relied on blending in with the locals conducted with exiled local knowledge.

Ah okay. I usually apply Guns of Tanith as "Guns of Naverone In Space" but that really only applies to the first battle rather than the second in the book.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

In fact I'm so far out of the loop I don't even know who that is.

Glad to hear it's not William H Keith Jr, as I've always had a soft spot for his Grey Death Legion books.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
WHK Jr, from what I’ve been told, is a genuinely pleasant person who just enjoys cranking out books. I don’t always like his books, but they’re pretty sincere.

gently caress the GDL, but hooray for the first series that I can recall that dares point out that Victor was a huge piece of poo poo who sucked at everything.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Deptfordx posted:

Anyone read Fire made Flesh?

The premise sounds interesting enough, but I've not seen a word about it , here or elsewhere.

I liked it. Nothing special but it was a good Necromunda story.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Aborder Prince is cool right? I'm really enjoying his narrations on YouTube

Wish Luetin09 would narrate a few but his discussion and overviews of a couple are pretty good too. Prolly busy as hell with his ludicrous amount of lore videos

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

just picked up Xenos, excited to take the plunge

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

just picked up Xenos, excited to take the plunge

Buckle up, you're in for a ride!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Arcsquad12 posted:

Ah okay. I usually apply Guns of Tanith as "Guns of Naverone In Space" but that really only applies to the first battle rather than the second in the book.
That's a good point :hmmyes: I had forgotten about the opening.

Deptfordx posted:

In fact I'm so far out of the loop I don't even know who that is.

Glad to hear it's not William H Keith Jr, as I've always had a soft spot for his Grey Death Legion books.
You've been out of the loop since 1995?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Been more of a PC battletech game player since the 90's than plugged into the boardgame ecosystem.

Read a couple of battletech books in the past 20 years, but barely a handful.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Battletech novels always seemed real dire tbh

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Improbable Lobster posted:

Battletech novels always seemed real dire tbh

Mostly they are. There are a couple of good ones...Wolves on the Border is excellent in fact...but for the most part they're pretty much trash, though occasionally entertaining trash.

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

With one hand he saves gebs. With the other he commits goblin genocide. A true neutral.

Got around to finishing penitent. What a page turner.

Book spoilers and questions.Did the book or the previous one talk about why ravenor decided to go in with like 3 underlings? I know it's not his style but shouldn't he have a fleet on standby to blow everything up instead of having to call in his eldar pals?

I just realized practically the entire book is an elaborate plot to get eisenhorn and ravenor to cooperate.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Polgas posted:

Got around to finishing penitent. What a page turner.

Book spoilers and questions.Did the book or the previous one talk about why ravenor decided to go in with like 3 underlings? I know it's not his style but shouldn't he have a fleet on standby to blow everything up instead of having to call in his eldar pals?

I just realized practically the entire book is an elaborate plot to get eisenhorn and ravenor to cooperate.

Ravenor is disgraced, it's a surprise he wasn't executed*. He could be argued to be the Penitent in the title (though I guess it's a multi-meaning title, though I'd say the Pariah was Eisenhorn, a subversion of the story being about an actual Pariah). He can't call on much, it would have taken a lot of politicking just to be allowed to go out into the field with whatever he had, and the assumption then would be that he is being given a chance to die in the name of the Emperor, not that he gets to take an army with him.

Check out the short story, Perihelion, if you haven't, it's collected in Magos.

*Ravenor never did much wrong, and the ending of Ravenor Rogue was a bit...rushed. But he did make the mistake of wholeheartedly confessing, and that's just a big no-no. It's like he was never actually listening.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jun 17, 2021

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

jng2058 posted:

Mostly they are. There are a couple of good ones...Wolves on the Border is excellent in fact...but for the most part they're pretty much trash, though occasionally entertaining trash.

Far Country is just:discourse:

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Ravenor also has a huge soft spot for Eisenhorn.

My take has always been that he doesn't do anything like calling in a fleet because he wants to talk to Eisenhorn. He's still hoping that there's a good reason for all of this and that Eisenhorn isn't a completely irredeemable heretic villain, just an... excessively radical rogue Inquisitor.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Preechr posted:

WHK Jr, from what I’ve been told, is a genuinely pleasant person who just enjoys cranking out books. I don’t always like his books, but they’re pretty sincere.

Keith and his late brother also wrote a huge chunk of the early Traveller material. They had to start using pseudonyms or whole issues of the Journal of the Traveller's Aid Society would be by them. They also notably did a huge portion of the FASA Traveller supplements,

https://wiki.travellerrpg.com/William_H._Keith,_Jr.
https://wiki.travellerrpg.com/J._Andrew_Keith

They did a lot of art too, many of Traveller's iconic ships are their designs.
https://www.google.com/search?q=tra...CAEQBA&biw=1619

RIP JAK.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?
The Sabbat War anthology is outstanding. Easily the best anthology of the three (??) so far.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is there another Volpone Blueblood story that completely wastes its potential?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Ever since I found this thread I've been maintaining a spreadsheet to keep track of all the recommendations, moving each book to a separate tab when I've completed it. I currently have 81 books on the "To Read" tab!

I try to read the ones related to the Horus Heresy in order, but as they keep writing more it's difficult to keep track of where new ones fit in. I think I'll have to do some sort of grand re-ordering but I'm not looking forward to it.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

Ever since I found this thread I've been maintaining a spreadsheet to keep track of all the recommendations, moving each book to a separate tab when I've completed it. I currently have 81 books on the "To Read" tab!

I try to read the ones related to the Horus Heresy in order, but as they keep writing more it's difficult to keep track of where new ones fit in. I think I'll have to do some sort of grand re-ordering but I'm not looking forward to it.

I've been doing the same with a Google docs file, I'd love to see your sheet

Here's mine: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hzC8gT7fFCZwscmT4DcJDPV31IEjkvkcCdNesqL00aQ/edit?usp=drivesdk

I am aware there are some terrible books on here, mostly horus heresy related.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

kanonvandekempen posted:

I've been doing the same with a Google docs file, I'd love to see your sheet

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/101jfEEO6ibqHJK7yzDULddtgkAQO3jNSUevmw0Oe61s/edit?usp=sharing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

I posted a new Horus heresy book chart a couple of weeks ago in the thread that breaks down all the various plotlines and books.