Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I'm not even talking about Picard or whoever. I'm talking about the background actors with four lines that have to wear feather eyebrows.

The guest actors on any sci-fi series are the best part of them. Every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Gaius Marius posted:

A feel a large amount of secondhand embarrassment whenever I see an adult who watches dr.who.

I haven't watched dr who since before I went to uni, but why?

I try not to judge peoples choice of media that they watch, with the exception of things like the creepier sort of anime.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

fizzymercury posted:

The guest actors on any sci-fi series are the best part of them. Every time.

Wayne Brady did make a pretty good jaffa I guess.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

1. As a historian I refuse to believe that all of history and all of civilization is retroactively horrible according to our ever-evolving standards.
2. I do not believe capitalism is inherently evil insomuch as it is a human flaw, amplified by tribalism and collective consumer idiocy, et al.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Grouchio posted:

2. I do not believe capitalism is inherently evil insomuch as it is a human flaw, amplified by tribalism and collective consumer idiocy, et al.

This is only an unpopular opinion on this message board.

The way goons talk about capitalism is lazy. Capitalism is The Devil and goons are Bobby Boucher’s mama from the movie The Waterboy.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
lmao you have silence_kit on your side. That’s how you know you have an unpopular (and stupid) opinion.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Well if it helps I also agree with 2

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

PHUO: Sometimes I think that everything that is "complicated", usually regarding politics in particular, is very simple. It's just that the answer to the problem makes people feel bad about choices made up to this point.

Like reading up on the 1950's coup in Guatemala. The people in charge saying that it is a very complicated situation and we shouldn't worry too much, and then you look into it and it's not complex at all it's just attempts to muddy the water.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
capitalism, like any economic system, is made up of people and thus is incredibly, well, complex. also, like with every economic system made up of people, practical implementations of capitalism can widely differ from country to country, from society to society, sometimes steering quite far from the theory behind it and not looking anything like the ideological tenets of capitalism describe it.

however, on a grand enough scale, capitalism indeed does lead to certain outcomes that's been quite thoroughly explored, predicted and quite occasionally felt materially by the very people of which a capitalist society consists. if some people think of these outcomes as "evil", i don't see a problem in that, tbh.

there's also the "ideological tenets" <--> "practical implications" dichotomy that further complicates things. in my experience, proponents of capitalism often argue from the position of the former, and generally try to challenge not the "evilness" of the outcomes per se but their very existence, or their nature as outcomes of capitalism. that's often not very helpful at all

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

What is the theoretical goal of Capitalism, what is the end to which Capitalism is working? What good does it aim for?

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Josef bugman posted:

What is the theoretical goal of Capitalism, what is the end to which Capitalism is working? What good does it aim for?

i mean i'm not an expert, but from what i could gather it's "advancement of capitalists as a class, and the betterment of their material conditions"

e: probably it'd be more correct to rephrase it as "establishing and maintaining the power of Capital", but since capitalists as a class are the conduit of this power, it kinda works either way

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
What does PHUO stand for?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

silence_kit posted:

The way goons talk about capitalism is lazy. Capitalism is The Devil and goons are Bobby Boucher’s mama from the movie The Waterboy.

Please do not disparage mama. She may have been wrong about foozball, but she's right about alligators - you really want me to believe alligators are so ornery because of an enlarged medula oblongata and not because they have all those teeth but no toothbrush?

e: also spot on about astrology.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 11:51 on Jun 19, 2021

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

YeahTubaMike posted:

What does PHUO stand for?

Personally held unpopular opinion. I saw someone using it a little while back and decided to adopt it. Can stop if people would prefer.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

silence_kit posted:

There was a clear generational shift in how capitalism is viewed

I don't care how old you actually are but you are definitely over 35 as far as class bootlicking goes

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

when you grow up you'll understand that 1% of the population owning over 90% of the wealth is actually fine and a success

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

hawowanlawow posted:

when you grow up you'll understand that 1% of the population owning over 90% of the wealth is actually fine and a success

i mean, if you're one of that 1% (or even 10%) and the whole thing kind of works for your benefit, it's hard not to fall into a trap of trying to justify its existence. or at least trying to convince yourself that it is You personally who Made It, and the rest could've done the same if only they just Worked More or something

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I hate poor people so we need to have better monetary distribution so there aren't poor people for me to hate.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Aramek posted:

I hate poor people so we need to have better monetary distribution so there aren't poor people for me to hate.

I feel bad when I see homeless people so they should be provided with housing so I don't see homeless people anymore.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

Well if it helps I also agree with 2

lmao. Dumbass.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I think the one true form of society has yet to reveal itself. :ninja:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Speaking as a grown adult man who owns both a movie replica hogwarts uniform and a more flamboyant set of stuff I use for musical theatre, star trek is lame poo poo for nerd babies.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Josef bugman posted:

Personally held unpopular opinion. I saw someone using it a little while back and decided to adopt it. Can stop if people would prefer.

:doh: I probably should have known, considering the thread title. Thanks!

And yeah, astrology is loving stupid, and I hate that so many otherwise-smart people I know care so much about it to the point of blaming actual life stuff on retrogrades and using signs to justify 20/20 hindsight, but the more I scroll through this thread, the more popular I'm beginning to think that this opinion is.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

YeahTubaMike posted:

And yeah, astrology is loving stupid, and I hate that so many otherwise-smart people I know care so much about it to the point of blaming actual life stuff on retrogrades and using signs to justify 20/20 hindsight, but the more I scroll through this thread, the more popular I'm beginning to think that this opinion is.

Please don't attack wallenstein like that

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Gaius Marius posted:

Please don't attack wallenstein like that
Von Tilly can go gently caress right off for the many war crimes he committed against Bohemia.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I believe that we have a moral duty to improve the lives of the leas fortunate but I am hesitant about saying that people need to ascribe to my chosen ideology. I have seen it become merely a way of affirming your goodness and the goodness of your group without actually taking any action far, far too often.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

Gripweed posted:

I feel bad when I see homeless people so they should be provided with housing so I don't see homeless people anymore.

See, you get it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

thetoughestbean posted:

I believe that we have a moral duty to improve the lives of the leas fortunate but I am hesitant about saying that people need to ascribe to my chosen ideology. I have seen it become merely a way of affirming your goodness and the goodness of your group without actually taking any action far, far too often.

Ah, I see you read the something awful forums

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Von Tilly can go gently caress right off for the many war crimes he committed against Bohemia.

The Thirty Years War is crimes against Civilians.txt but even for that conflict the sack of Magdeburg is atrocious.

Pappenheim posted:

I believe that over twenty thousand souls were lost.
It is certain that no more terrible work and divine punishment has been seen since the Destruction of Jerusalem. All of our soldiers became rich. God with us.

Killing 4/5th's of the population is just beyond the pale.

Pope Urban VIII to Tilly posted:

"You have washed your victorious hands in the blood of sinners."

How could you even do something like that?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

I haven't watched dr who since before I went to uni, but why?

I try not to judge peoples choice of media that they watch, with the exception of things like the creepier sort of anime.

Yeah I try and not judge how most people spend their time, but Dr.Who has always stuck out to me as being a perfect representation of the infantilization of the modern adult.

It occupies the same niche in my mind that YA novels do, and as much as I approve of people having the freedom to do as they wish. The increasing amounts of Adults consuming exclusively media made for children and teens is reducing the levels of nuance and critical thinking they can apply to their everyday lives. At least that's how it seems to me.

Also Steven Moffat is an absolute poo poo writer and his Sherlock series is quite possibly the worst "Mystery" series I've ever seen.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Moffat is quite capable of being a good writer which is why it's disappointing that he frequently isn't.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

You can’t hit a home run every time pal!

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Especially when you think your series is mainly for children and thus write poo poo only children enjoy - instead of something like powerpuff girls.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The continued/growing popularity of YA media with adults is because it's nice to visit a world where evil loses.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Here's an opinion that I can see is extremely unpopular, based on 90% of the cars on the road:

You're allowed to remove the license plate frame that names the dealership where you bought the car. Really, you don't have to give them free advertising everywhere you go for years and years and years. Two minutes of quality time with a screwdriver is all it takes to make your car not be somebody else's billboard.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Powered Descent posted:

Here's an opinion that I can see is extremely unpopular, based on 90% of the cars on the road:

You're allowed to remove the license plate frame that names the dealership where you bought the car. Really, you don't have to give them free advertising everywhere you go for years and years and years. Two minutes of quality time with a screwdriver is all it takes to make your car not be somebody else's billboard.

It's so much worse when they put those stupid emblems on the back, I scratched the gently caress outta my car getting it off, but it's worth it not to be a driving bill board.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Moffat is quite capable of being a good writer which is why it's disappointing that he frequently isn't.

I absolutely don't believe you, the first episode of Sherlock was mildly interesting before it poo poo the bed at the end. Even there you can just feel the smarmy sense of self importance in the writing. When they make fun of the Coroner for coming to the Rache = Revenge it made my blood boil, having your series start by making fun of the work that inspired it is incredibly weak, and then managing to write every episode to somehow be a weaker mystery than even the most phoned in Doyle story is pathetic.

Of the few Dr.Who episodes I've seen one was like a series finale, some blond guy became president and the doctor had an old guy with a gun, and I guess the Doctor never shoots anyone but he made an exception for this occasion. Anyways it was also dumb

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Gaius Marius posted:

Of the few Dr.Who episodes I've seen one was like a series finale, some blond guy became president and the doctor had an old guy with a gun, and I guess the Doctor never shoots anyone but he made an exception for this occasion. Anyways it was also dumb

If that's the episode I'm thinking of it's definitely bad but had nothing to do with Moffat.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Doctor Spaceman posted:

What he’s absolutely incapable of is being a good showrunner

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

Yeah I try and not judge how most people spend their time, but Dr.Who has always stuck out to me as being a perfect representation of the infantilization of the modern adult.

It occupies the same niche in my mind that YA novels do, and as much as I approve of people having the freedom to do as they wish. The increasing amounts of Adults consuming exclusively media made for children and teens is reducing the levels of nuance and critical thinking they can apply to their everyday lives. At least that's how it seems to me.

What is a "grown up" thing to do?

You can think that a lack of nuance is a bad thing, go right ahead, but that isn't infantalising.

Byzantine posted:

The continued/growing popularity of YA media with adults is because it's nice to visit a world where evil loses.

Also very much this. So much of adult fiction is, to put it bluntly, unutterable shite and depressed people looking out of windows that something a bit more fun seems like a blessed relief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Josef bugman posted:

What is a "grown up" thing to do?

"YA novels are for BABIES and if you're an adult reading them you're actually a BABY with a BABY BRAIN" i say, while enjoying copious amounts of anime and videogames

imo there's nothing wrong with enjoying literally any form or genre of media (some instances of media *can* be problematic in enjoyed uncritically but that's another whole can of worms). what's interesting is how perceptions change when it comes to which forms of media are considered uncool and by whom

thusly, PHUO: uncritically hopping on the "thing is UNCOOL" bandwagon can be as uncool and problematic (if not more) as enjoying "uncool" or "problematic" media in the first place

nurmie has a new favorite as of 10:18 on Jun 20, 2021