Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Evil Robot posted:

Does anyone have an opinion on the new 100k bonus for the Chase Sapphire Preferred card?

NerdWallet article

Is it as good as the Chase Sapphire Reserve offer from a few years ago?

It's awesome and my only regret is im still 8 months away from being eligible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

The CSP was a good pick for the bonus when it was 50k with a waived AF; anything more than that is great. You won't be eligible if you already have the CSR (any Sapphire card, really) or received a Sapphire bonus in the last 48 months.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

astral posted:

The CSP was a good pick for the bonus when it was 50k with a waived AF; anything more than that is great. You won't be eligible if you already have the CSR (any Sapphire card, really) or received a Sapphire bonus in the last 48 months.

Am I still eligible for the CSP bonus if I’m a authorized user on my wife’s CSP? I’ve never gotten one myself, so I personally have never gotten the bonus. She did on her CSP >48 months ago.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
That 3% cashback card.. aodfcu denied me the required 5k limit on the card, they'd only offer $2500 and their 1% card
I only have 3-4 years of credit history.

It looks like I need to just use my wife's long history and authorized user off of her, I wish I would have asked them if that would have been feasible.

I have no rewards cards and this sucks.
Wife suggested Costco card, but a flat 2% would be better for most people right?

Score is down from 740-720 because I dared to utilize 16% of my paltry limit that they keep shrinking inexplicably. 8207 down to 7900 all available limits. 2 cards and a 5k from a trane central air unit finance 0%

Never paid any interest never missed a payment.

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 17, 2021

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

That 3% cashback card.. aodfcu denied me the required 5k limit on the card, they'd only offer $2500 and their 1% card

It looks like I need to just use my wife's long history and authorized user off of her, I wish I would have asked them if that would have been feasible.

Wife suggested Costco card, but a flat 2% would be better for most people right?

Score is down from 740-720 because I dared to utilize 16% of my paltry limit that they keep shrinking inexplicably. 8207 down to 7900 all available limits. 2 cards and a 5k from a trane central air unit finance 0%

A flat 2% is better typically, but spending habits and what you can be qualified for influences that. Costco or Amazon can be decent cards depending on spending habits. Amazon (Chase) has been super generous with credit line increases which I like, plus I shop Amazon a lot so I do well off the 5%. Amazon was my starter card after no credit cards for a decade and it was fine imo.

Citi Double cash would probably also approve you, but with that credit score and short credit history, you may only get a small credit line (think 1k), so take that as you will. I've also ran into issues with it that I outlined in this thread, but other people's experience has been better, so:shrug:

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Cacafuego posted:

Am I still eligible for the CSP bonus if I’m a authorized user on my wife’s CSP? I’ve never gotten one myself, so I personally have never gotten the bonus. She did on her CSP >48 months ago.

AU doesn't count against you here, and if her bonus was more than 48 months ago she's also eligible to product change that CSP to a Freedom Unlimited or Freedom Flex and then get a new CSP for the bonus. There's likely a period you need to wait after the product change for everything to get updated in their systems for this.

It sounds like your current cards' limits might also be low, which I could imagine being factored into the underwriting process. Depending on your current cards, it might be worth finding out if you can get a soft-pull credit limit increase to raise those existing limits and help reduce utilization.

Don't worry too much about utilization score drops themselves; there's no memory there, so once the card utilization goes down the score snaps right back. Sometimes lenders can be leery about extending credit when you have high balances relative to your limits, and the 3-4 years of credit history with only two cards might work against you.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

astral posted:

It sounds like your current cards' limits might also be low, which I could imagine being factored into the underwriting process. Depending on your current cards, it might be worth finding out if you can get a soft-pull credit limit increase to raise those existing limits and help reduce utilization.
Last time I asked they raised it $50

My high limit is like 2200 through my credit union, they were leary of my work history (I'm a construction worker)

I said hell, look at how much I make a year instead of "steady" I'm in construction!

They gave me 2k off the bat.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

fyi if you have an amex bonvoy and you call and threaten to cancel they'll give you 30k points to keep it open. roughly a $270 value on a card with a $99 fee (and which also gives you a free night worth at least $99)

i have had an amex acct for over a decade and other cards so don't know if that influenced the offer

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
The Chase Freedom 5% category for Q3 is grocery stores but I already get 5% at grocery stores with the Flex because it's 5% at grocery stores for the first year so I wonder how that is going to work. Hope it isn't just a lost quarter but it's a no fee card so I can't complain too much if that's the case.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Ogmius815 posted:

Let me put it this way I guess (I can't say if this is the information anyone above wanted, this is just what I have wondered). Is there a 2% flat cash back card other than the Citi Double Cash that a) does not require me to deposit rewards in a specific bank account and b) is not offered exclusively to members of a credit union? Changing banks is a pain in the rear end.

Congratulations on your new PenFed Power Cash Rewards card. It can be redeemed to any bank account of your choosing at any time, and can be scheduled to automatically do so each month with no input from you whatsoever. There is no minimum redemption amount; it will just reliably dump whatever you earned that month to your primary bank. The only "downside" is that unless you're military, getting the full 2% rate on it requires that you have a checking account with them, which will require you to leave $500 in it in order to keep it fee-free. This should not be a problem, however, because if you're loving around with rewards cards you are hopefully someone who does not live paycheck to paycheck and has at least a small nugget of emergency savings in an account that you do not touch. Take that, move $500 of it to PenFed, and continue not touching it. Enjoy your perfect no-hassle 2% card.

It does require you to be a member of their credit union, but... can you elaborate on why you think that's a problem? They're a national online CU with membership open to literally anyone (as are pretty much all of the options recommended here aside from AODFCU), and you can apply for your membership along with the credit card. You won't even have to lay out your staggering $5 member deposit in advance. Most people consider being in business with a CU instead of a bank a benefit, but there's also no rule that says you have to use the member share savings account they give you. Just leave it empty and stay at your current bank if you want to.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 18, 2021

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character

Ogmius815 posted:

Let me put it this way I guess (I can't say if this is the information anyone above wanted, this is just what I have wondered). Is there a 2% flat cash back card other than the Citi Double Cash that a) does not require me to deposit rewards in a specific bank account and b) is not offered exclusively to members of a credit union? Changing banks is a pain in the rear end.

Citi Double Cash does have a minimum redemption amount of $25, which can matter if you're not a big enough spender each month since rewards post with your statement.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thoguh posted:

The Chase Freedom 5% category for Q3 is grocery stores but I already get 5% at grocery stores with the Flex because it's 5% at grocery stores for the first year so I wonder how that is going to work. Hope it isn't just a lost quarter but it's a no fee card so I can't complain too much if that's the case.

Chase Freedom has blown for me this year as someone with another card that always offers 5% Grocery and Gas.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It’s pretty funny looking through my emails from Venmo for their credit card.

I was offered:
* no bonus in February
* $50 in March
* $75 in April
* $100 in May

And no current offer but double percentage back.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

EL BROMANCE posted:

Chase Freedom has blown for me this year as someone with another card that always offers 5% Grocery and Gas.

I ended up cancelling my Blue Cash Preferred AmEx this year because pretty much everywhere is giving at least 5% on groceries and when I asked them about any retention offers they said no (I never used the card for anything but groceries so I probably wasn't making them money anyway) so it wasn't worth paying an annual fee. Freedom Flex effectively gives me 7.5% and Wells Fargo keeps giving me 10% offers on the Propel every month or two. It'd be really cool if this continues.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

On the other hand, you couldn’t pay me enough to do business with Wells Fargo, the company that literally opened fraudulent accounts in its customers’ names.

Ogmius815 fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 20, 2021

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Ogmius815 posted:

On the other hand, you couldn’t pay me enough to do business with Wells Fargo, the company that literally opened fraudulent accounts in its customers’ names.

Same, and similar feelings re chase and BofA

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Speaking of Wells Fargo, I had a secured card with them that they graduated last year. They bumped the limit up, but it doesn't offer any rewards so I've got no reason to use it.

Will they upgrade it to a Cash Wise (or that new Active Cash next month) if I call?

Or do I just keep it open a little longer until I've got the cards I want and then cancel it?

Canceling it halves my credit history from two years to one.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Shroomie posted:

Speaking of Wells Fargo, I had a secured card with them that they graduated last year. They bumped the limit up, but it doesn't offer any rewards so I've got no reason to use it.

Will they upgrade it to a Cash Wise (or that new Active Cash next month) if I call?

Or do I just keep it open a little longer until I've got the cards I want and then cancel it?

Canceling it halves my credit history from two years to one.

Generally you don't want to cancel a credit card, especially when you have very few cards and there's no fee. You can call them and ask for an upgrade, which they might give if you threaten to cancel it (but again, don't cancel). Right now is a great time to open cards because the bonuses are amazing, though, so you have a lot of options to choose from.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Payment history for a closed account remains in a credit report for 10 years regardless. Will one more year of credit history length, 10 years from now, really be so valuable?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I vaguely recall reading that Wells Fargo did not do proper product changes upon request, only closing old cards and opening new ones. If I'm not misremembering to begin with, it might be possible that this already has changed or will change, especially with a whole new line of cards coming. I wouldn't even consider closing it until that shakes out, personally.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Gazpacho posted:

Payment history for a closed account remains in a credit report for 10 years regardless. Will one more year of credit history length, 10 years from now, really be so valuable?

Probably not but maybe (especially for someone with few lines right now)? The more impactful potential item is lowering total available credit, increasing utilization by what might be a non-trivial amount.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Laundered an absolute fuckton of work expenses through my SoFi card and have accrued so many gems….. soooo many beautiful gems lmfao. Love to collect gems.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

astral posted:

I vaguely recall reading that Wells Fargo did not do proper product changes upon request, only closing old cards and opening new ones.

FWIW, that was my experience as well as of about two years ago when I last got a card from them. I wanted to product change, but they told me it’d be closing my older card (Which has by far my longest history and highest limit) and opening a new one. I just added a second card and kept the older one for emergencies and credit history purposes.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh posted:

Chase updated their FAQ to clarify. If you're also eligible for the new cardmember bonus it'll be 9% off groceries next quarter for the first $1,500 in spend (or until you hit the cap for the new cardmember 5%). With a CSR and pay yourself back that's effectively 13.5%

astral
Apr 26, 2004

:hellyeah:

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
drat. Did not expect that at all. :getin:

runawayturtles fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 23, 2021

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
What's the best way to get more credit right now? New cards or limit increase? I've been using CapOne for thirteen years, with periods of low utilization to high, always paid it down over time, and they still won't do squat for a CLI. It's still the same as I started in 2007. This is an issue because seven years ago we closed a secured card that ran from 2005-2013 because my father wanted the money back. So my available credit went down in 2013 and has never inched upward.

I've been told this is more of a specific CapOne related problem, though.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Craptacular! posted:

What's the best way to get more credit right now? New cards or limit increase? I've been using CapOne for thirteen years, with periods of low utilization to high, always paid it down over time, and they still won't do squat for a CLI. It's still the same as I started in 2007. This is an issue because seven years ago we closed a secured card that ran from 2005-2013 because my father wanted the money back. So my available credit went down in 2013 and has never inched upward.

If you’re really keen to get more credit, open a card with Discover. They’re very generous with limits.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

As far as rewards and perks for cards go, you could also do much better than CapitalOne and I’d encourage you to check out the offerings from American Express, Citi, and even Chase to see if you can find something that better fits your needs.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Craptacular! posted:

Why do you want more credit?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

CubicalSucrose posted:

Because I have less than $1,000 in credit that I got when I was in my mid 20s and have less credit now than I did then, and the middle-tier computer graphics cards now cost more than my entire credit line.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Craptacular! posted:

Because I have less than $1,000 in credit that I got when I was in my mid 20s and have less credit now than I did then, and the middle-tier computer graphics cards now cost more than my entire credit line.

See above for the recent generic 2% card list, seems like one of those is going to be not a bad option for you, assuming you can get approved.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
It's kind of old information but American Express has been known to pretty reliably approve tripling credit limits after just 60 days. This might be a decent 0 annual fee card offer to look for. https://www.doctorofcredit.com/american-express-cash-magnet-card-up-to-300-sign-up-bonus/

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

THF13 posted:

It's kind of old information but American Express has been known to pretty reliably approve tripling credit limits after just 60 days. This might be a decent 0 annual fee card offer to look for. https://www.doctorofcredit.com/american-express-cash-magnet-card-up-to-300-sign-up-bonus/

In normal times yes. They cut my credit limits by 50% last year to reduce risk. I had a couple other banks reduce limits on me as well.

Not sure if Amex is still hedging risk or if they’re opening things up

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

What's the best non-chase sapphire credit card offer right now? (I have a preferred so sapphire is a no go atm) I'm about to spend around 3000 bucks on various mattress related purchases so it should be relatively easy for me to hit a spending amount.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Argona posted:

What's the best non-chase sapphire credit card offer right now? (I have a preferred so sapphire is a no go atm) I'm about to spend around 3000 bucks on various mattress related purchases so it should be relatively easy for me to hit a spending amount.

Amex still has very high offers on the plat and gold, especially if you have a link. $3000 would get you through most of the spending on those. Additionally, the plat has some purchase protection features if your mattress doesn’t work out.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Argona posted:

Impress your date when you put dinner on this baby

https://www.mattressfirm.com/financing-mattress-firm-credit-card.html

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

CubicalSucrose posted:

Me as well. I don't want to use my debit card in case of fraud, yet if If I don't want my score dinged from over utilization every month I can only spend like 580 without paying it off before the statement cuts.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

My Venmo Credit Card got a much higher limit than either Discover or Amex gave me. Can't say if this is the norm or I just happened to have all my ducks in a row when I applied.

I also got a pretty good offer from the Apple Card (presumably so I could buy their expensive products), though I didn't take it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Me as well. I don't want to use my debit card in case of fraud, yet if If I don't want my score dinged from over utilization every month I can only spend like 580 without paying it off before the statement cuts.

Unless your planning to apply for more credit you shouldn't care about utilization.