Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

LordSaturn posted:

that said being able to reload your end and then toggle into Everything Crits Toxic is still just generally very good

What does this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

"bio. sorry I meant "procs" not "crits"

DangerDan
May 31, 2011

FULTON: The Freshmaker
Radiation Armor is also super good. Proc bombing out Rad Therapy is an A++++ tech piece

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

My best toon already has Rad Armor and I agree it is top tier stuff. I wanna try something different on the scrapper, tho.

Ceive
Dec 19, 2006

thank pizza skeltal

Awhile back there was an electric armor scrapper who was power leveling lowbies in peregrine. He was tearing poo poo up left and right whenever I was invited. Seemed like a fun set.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
I enjoyed my Titan Weapons/Ninjitsu scrapper. Ninjitsu is pretty easy to cap positional defenses on (ranged, melee, aoe), comes with stealth, and has self heal and self endurance recharge buttons. Also I thought being a ninja with a big fuckin weapon was silly and extremely anime.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Diephoon posted:

I enjoyed my Titan Weapons/Ninjitsu scrapper. Ninjitsu is pretty easy to cap positional defenses on (ranged, melee, aoe), comes with stealth, and has self heal and self endurance recharge buttons. Also I thought being a ninja with a big fuckin weapon was silly and extremely anime.

That sounds rad actually

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

What's the cooldown on changing costumes via slash command, and what's he cooldown on changing "stances" for Bio Armor? Got some fun lil macro ideas and different physical forms to swap to.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Crasical posted:

That sounds rad actually

No it's...TW/Ninjitsu. :rimshot:

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
what is the most populated server?

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Homecoming - Excelsior.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Gynovore posted:

In short, NCsoft is not a sane or rational company and should not be expected to act rationally.

Remember when NCSoft tried to fire Richard Garriot, and he sued because they claimed he had left the company voluntarily so they cold deny him stock options, but it turned out that he couldn't have signed the resignation documents because he was in outer space at the time?

Good times.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Remember when NCSoft tried to fire Richard Garriot, and he sued because they claimed he had left the company voluntarily so they cold deny him stock options, but it turned out that he couldn't have signed the resignation documents because he was in outer space at the time?

Good times.

And then Garriott sued for $13 mil, but the judge gave him $15M, and then NCSoft appealed, and the judge bumped it up to $17M. That must have bought him a lot of Campbell's soup.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Diephoon posted:

Homecoming - Excelsior.

Thanks! Still super lost. Leveling a tw invulnerable scrapper and it’s pretty fun. The momentum system is kind of confusing and I’m still not quite sure why sometimes my skills take 2 minutes to swing but I’ll get it eventually probably

Also attuned enhancements sure are expensive

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

momentum is a 5-second buff you get after one of your TW attacks connects. as long as momentum is up, you get the fast animations for your TW attacks, instead of the slow ones. nothing refreshes momentum except the set's Build Up variant, which adds 10 seconds to your current momentum, including if it was at 0.

so outside of the buildup, you're essentially looking at having to do a long animation, followed by a flurry of short animations, then another long animation, every five seconds or so

two of the TW attacks have no "long" variant - they only work while momentum is on

invuln is kind of bad, iirc, you may get stuck in the endurance doldrums around 35, but that's fixable

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

LordSaturn posted:

momentum is a 5-second buff you get after one of your TW attacks connects. as long as momentum is up, you get the fast animations for your TW attacks, instead of the slow ones. nothing refreshes momentum except the set's Build Up variant, which adds 10 seconds to your current momentum, including if it was at 0.

so outside of the buildup, you're essentially looking at having to do a long animation, followed by a flurry of short animations, then another long animation, every five seconds or so

two of the TW attacks have no "long" variant - they only work while momentum is on

invuln is kind of bad, iirc, you may get stuck in the endurance doldrums around 35, but that's fixable

Oh :( didn’t know. What is better than invuln?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Tabletops posted:

Willpower is Invlun but better, in general.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
I am enjoying my animal/rad mastermind. Irradiate them, fling bees and birds at them, tear them apart. It's great chaos.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Willpower is the best "I can't decide but want to try a new primary" armor set.

It's not gonna dazzle anyone but it'll handle just about anything.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Willpower is great cause it does a little bit of everything and is visually unintrusive. Probably my favorite brute secondary.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

That being said, like Invuln isn't like so bad you should never take it. Just keep in mind that like LordSaturn said, it gets really rough in the 25ish to 35 zone but it comes out decent enough in the end. I think only if your intention is to only ever solo that you're better off 100% taking willpower.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
Yeah, Invuln is still the best "I don't care about smashing/lethal damage" set in my opinion. Every now and then, it truly shines.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Invul is also great at 50 due to awesome resists, tough hide/invincibility getting you in range to soft cap defenses to everything, AND permanent dull pain for higher max hp with minimal investment. I'd argue any day of the week it actually has a higher performance ceiling than willpower, but yes it would be rough on end while levelling while WP would be easy street because of quick recovery.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Invuln is fine but I need that quick recovery since I like to run leadership toggles -- Even if they're not the best power pool to take as a brute, I like the thematics

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

these problems should be pretty solvable with some low-end enhancement sets. honestly learning what enhancements you need and how to get them at a reasonable price is way worse than coming up with the influence, ime

the basic theory is that slotting five of the six parts of Crushing Impact, a set which can be had in Attuned form for relatively cheap, can give you as much accuracy and damage as three reds and three yellows, PLUS a bunch of recharge speed and endurance reduction on top; doing this on all your main attack powers (there are similar sets for AoE attacks and the like) will reduce your endurance consumption in combat substantially.

just slotting endurance reduction in your toggles and blues in your Stamina is sometimes not enough to function properly in the 30s, but that plus cheap sets in your attacks can suddenly make your character work right again

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
elec/titan on a tank has been pretty good so far. Elec has recharge boost and endurance management tools, which TW likes, and it hardcaps you to electrical damage. You can pick up a lot of res bonus to smashing/lethal via IOS, and it's possible to cap Smashing/Lethal/Fire/Ice/Psionics if you want to be real tanky. Plus, as a tank, you get the big cones on all of TW's AOE

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Tabletops posted:

You really don't need to be super optimal to have fun with this game, if you're having fun playing the character then keep at it.

Re: Endurance issues- you can mitigate a lot of them by slotting specific enhancements into your health and stamina passives. I'm just going to quote myself here.

Diephoon posted:

I somehow managed to play on Homecoming for months and months without knowing about endurance enhancers that you slot into health for passive boosts. Panacea: +Hit Points/Endurance, Numina's Convalescence: +Regeneration/Recovery, and Miracle: +Recovery go into pretty much every character I make now and can be slotted at level 10, 20, and 30 along with Performance Shifter: Chance for +End in Stamina at level 21.

You can also run Death from Below (there's usually someone spamming for DFB or plenty of people willing to join if you go to the effort of making the group yourself) on a new/low level hero side character and pick the endurance bonus at the end which will last you up to level 20 IIRC. Failing all that, if you have money you can always buy blue inspirations at the local hospital, and homecoming's P2W vendor has an endurance restore temporary power I usually save for when I get end drained/recover from a death.

If this is your first character on homecoming though it's unlikely you have the resources to get these enhancements. I'd be happy to hook you up with some and/or a small pile of influence if you like, assuming you're playing on Homecoming - Excelsior.

I'd like to reiterate that the most important thing in this game imo is being invested in your character. I don't remember how many characters I made before I settled on my Arachnos Soldier as my first main. Once I got him to end game just playing the game made me millions of influence which I could then use to enhance up any future characters I became interested in building. I played COH as a kid but I don't think I ever got much higher than the 20s since I didn't really understand what was going on back then. If you like it and you're having fun with it, then stick with it. You can make a million more characters later if you want to.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jun 20, 2021

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Diephoon posted:

I'd like to reiterate that the most important thing in this game imo is being invested in your character.

The one and only ironclad rule of CoX.

Teams smooth out every supposed "weakness" of any individual power set. Even middling/mediocre teams.

If you have a character concept that satisfies/amuses/entertains you and makes you look forward to logging in, that's what will carry you through this game in the long haul.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Diephoon posted:

You really don't need to be super optimal to have fun with this game, if you're having fun playing the character then keep at it.

Re: Endurance issues- you can mitigate a lot of them by slotting specific enhancements into your health and stamina passives. I'm just going to quote myself here.

If this is your first character on homecoming though it's unlikely you have the resources to get these enhancements. I'd be happy to hook you up with some and/or a small pile of influence if you like, assuming you're playing on Homecoming - Excelsior.

I'd like to reiterate that the most important thing in this game imo is being invested in your character. I don't remember how many characters I made before I settled on my Arachnos Soldier as my first main. Once I got him to end game just playing the game made me millions of influence which I could then use to enhance up any future characters I became interested in building. I played COH as a kid but I don't think I ever got much higher than the 20s since I didn't really understand what was going on back then. If you like it and you're having fun with it, then stick with it. You can make a million more characters later if you want to.

yeah... trying to find something i really gel with has been hard.

I started playing an arachnos widow using this build https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/11319-best-of-both-blood-widower-fortunado-build/ (no idea if it's still good or not since it was in 2019)

it's been OK. I just got to 28 and am doing my lvl 24 respec to fortuna. I'm not really sure i'm going to like it though? I spent like 30 mil on enhancements and am having trouble convincing myself to slot them

Think part of the problem is I like having strong aoe and the guide said it did but I’m looking now and there’s only like 2 aoe skills

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jun 20, 2021

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

It should also be stressed that all content in the game can be done with any AT and any power set combination. It isn't like if you're X archetype with Y and Z "underpowered" power sets, you can't do certain content. Like, no, you're not going to be doing super-fast speed runs where you gather the entire map of enemies and smash them as an Invuln/War Mace Tanker, but you can still do whatever the mission/task force/trial in question is.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
My corruptors usually throw anywhere up to half a dozen respawns at a mission, and that's fine.

Nthing the advice to just find a concept you like, not a powerful build. My favorite right now is Lord Bongwater, Water/Poison corr with his water colored in absolutely disgusting green and black. His backstory involves drinking Superadine-infused bong water, I snuck him into Faultline and Boomtown to read plaques to get him the "Just Said No to Superadine" title, and he RPs like he's right out of a drug PSA. I love him.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Tabletops posted:

(no idea if it's still good or not since it was in 2019)

the nice thing about the glacial pace of development is that the game hasn't substantially changed since 2019 so that build is probably still fine

LordSaturn posted:

invuln is kind of bad, iirc

also just wanted to emphasize that when I say "kind of bad" I mean that very literally. it's not that strong, it may have endurance issues with a big endurance suck set like TW, etc. the only, like, do-not-play-this tier bad set I'm aware of is Regen?

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

Hummingbirds are a legal tender.
The only character I ever absolutely bounced off of because of the powersets was a War Mace / Super Reflexes Scrapper. War Mace + the SR toggles chewed through endurance insanely fast and SR has no powers to recoup or generate extra Endurance. Great fighter, but the empty blue bar after every single fight got old fast. I'm sure a level 50 build + Incarnates could've smoothed it out, but I just rerolled as War Mace / Energy Aura and I liked it way better.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Bird Law posted:

but I just rerolled as War Mace / Energy Aura and I liked it way better.

Strong AND pretty?!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

LordSaturn posted:

the nice thing about the glacial pace of development is that the game hasn't substantially changed since 2019 so that build is probably still fine

also just wanted to emphasize that when I say "kind of bad" I mean that very literally. it's not that strong, it may have endurance issues with a big endurance suck set like TW, etc. the only, like, do-not-play-this tier bad set I'm aware of is Regen?

Even then, like-- Regen isn't completely unplayable as long as you know what you're getting into. I'd still caution anyone new or who isn't interested in getting into the weeds of how the game works against it for sure. Just a "you might not have fun with this, perhaps something else might work with your concept?"

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

The one and only ironclad rule of CoX.

Teams smooth out every supposed "weakness" of any individual power set. Even middling/mediocre teams.

If you have a character concept that satisfies/amuses/entertains you and makes you look forward to logging in, that's what will carry you through this game in the long haul.

this this this this this

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Strong AND pretty?!

:yeah:

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Bird Law posted:

The only character I ever absolutely bounced off of because of the powersets was a War Mace / Super Reflexes Scrapper. War Mace + the SR toggles chewed through endurance insanely fast and SR has no powers to recoup or generate extra Endurance. Great fighter, but the empty blue bar after every single fight got old fast. I'm sure a level 50 build + Incarnates could've smoothed it out, but I just rerolled as War Mace / Energy Aura and I liked it way better.

Invul has a PSI hole and it's a bit hard on your END bar, but overall it's a good set. As for Regen, the problem is twofold: 1) It's too clicky, and 2) Willpower gives you heal/regen that's approx 60% of what Regen gives you, and on top of that it has defense and resist and tohit debuff, and it's less clicky.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

there are just a few sets that are still tuned for launch content, or CoV launch at best. regen is one of those

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

Gynovore posted:

Invul has a PSI hole and it's a bit hard on your END bar, but overall it's a good set. As for Regen, the problem is twofold: 1) It's too clicky, and 2) Willpower gives you heal/regen that's approx 60% of what Regen gives you, and on top of that it has defense and resist and tohit debuff, and it's less clicky.

I find that even the most end hungry builds do fine as long as you go for the ageless incarnate ability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

The day Instant Healing became a click power and a glorified Dull Pain is when Regen died as a set.