Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
That meme of Michael Fassbender looking at things demanding the real version except it's new GW boxed games, Gorkamorka, then Epic 40k boxed sets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Henry Turner's Europe Asunder project just finished funding, and the following nations are getting full foot soldier support in 6mm/10mm/15mm, with a cavalry expansion coming later

-France
-Austria
-Russia
-Prussia
-Poland
-Great Britain
-Spain
-Portual
-Bavaria
-Baden
-Saxony
-Sweden
-Württemberg

:eyepop:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Epic is a more suitable scale for what HH wants to be, alas...

At least the STL scene is doing real good for Epic 30k/40k and Warmaster

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

JcDent posted:

Epic is a more suitable scale for what HH wants to be, alas...

At least the STL scene is doing real good for Epic 30k/40k and Warmaster

Yeah not to turn this thread into yet another Warhammer Chat™, the last decade or so has really been pushing bigger and bigger battles to push more model sales. My friend group and I have been playing games in various basements since 2007, and we've reduced the points of our army lists by around 25%-33% to field the same number of models.

I get it from a business perspective, but from a casual "hang out in the basement and build stupid lists" perspective, it sucks. 40k has really become a 6mm/15mm game.

We are currently in the process of collectively re-writing just about every codex in 7th edition to be more balanced.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
drat dude just play OPR's Grimdark Future at that point.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Fashionable Jorts posted:

We are currently in the process of collectively re-writing just about every codex in 7th edition to be more balanced.

Lol drop me a link at some point, I'm interested to see which way you're going.

Springfield Fatts posted:

Or do that. 5+ Quality Guardsmen might be A Bad Time, but it's amazing how you can give Space Marines 2+ saves and cost them accordingly when you don't have to sell miniatures.

Meanwhile, I got desperate enough that I'm writing my own game to push Space Marines around. HMU in a year or so, see how far I get :D

E: to be more on topic, anyone ever played the Warhammer Historical games or whatever? I wonder how they fared/played. Was it all Rick Priestley all the time like Warlord Games now is?

JcDent fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 17, 2021

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Warhammer Ancients was basically just 4th/5th edition WFB with big standard humans using the points breakdown in the designers notes and some special rules.

Legends of the Old West was LoTR but with Cowboys and thus <i>amazing</i>.

Kampfgruppe Normandy is now Battlegroup Normandy etc.

I believe there was an age of sail game that was highly regarded too, but I never got a chance to try that.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

The first of the Warhams Historicals were based on Fantasy and Warmaster, so that would have all been Priestley, but the later ones were whomever got a wild hair.

Legends of the Old West was very good, done by Mark Latham(?), who I think also did the Waterloo and Trafalgar books. I only played one game of Trafalgar, but remember liking it at the time. Warwick Kinrade did Kampfgruppe Normandy, which became the Battlegroup [whatever] series, which a decent number of people I know like quite a bit, but personally for me I prefer Chain of Command for WWII. I have a feeling like I am forgetting a quite a few titles as it seemed like they were really good at releasing books with almost zero publicity.

If anything, once Warhammer Historical became established, I can't think of any titles Rick worked on. At that point, he probably knew that his time at Workshop was coming to an end and reserved any design work for after he left.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Arquinsiel posted:

Warhammer Ancients was basically just 4th/5th edition WFB with big standard humans using the points breakdown in the designers notes and some special rules.

It was surprisingly good. Strip out the wonkiness and old Warhammer is a solid game for things like Viking era battles.

There was a second edition, but this wasn't as good.

Arquinsiel posted:

I believe there was an age of sail game that was highly regarded too, but I never got a chance to try that.

Trafalgar. It was also good, even if it was a bit generous with how well the ships could sail.

They also did Waterloo, a Napoleonics gamer based on the LOTR rules, and Great War/Over the Top which was a VERY good WWI game. Imagine Imperial Guard infantry armies with no saves whatsoever.

Sadly, most of these games are pricey difficult to find.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Oh yeah, Great War was cool when I watched it, but I also didn't play.

ETA: I loved the machine gun rules in particular. That was just very satisfying to watch resolved.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Cessna posted:

They also did Waterloo, a Napoleonics gamer based on the LOTR rules,

:psyduck:

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Nah, that game was a bit of a mess. We like the "crunch" of building lists in 7th, and OPR is far too simplified for our taste. It's basically a fan-made 8th edition, and we despised 8th.

JcDent posted:

Lol drop me a link at some point, I'm interested to see which way you're going.

Will do, once it's in a state that's a bit more ready. Most of it is points changes, a few rules tweaks here and there, and bringing new units into the old game (like the loads of new Necron and Mechanicus models). Currently overhauling the Psyker rules, because none of us liked warp charge dice.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Cessna posted:

They also did Waterloo, a Napoleonics gamer based on the LOTR rules

Like the GW LOTR minis game?

Because that sounds dope, I really like that rules system for playing small-ish games, but it's very hero-based, and I dunno how well it would convert to Napoleon having 4 Might and 2 Fate or whatever.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Psychic Phase is a mistake

Also, Great War is on /th/ as popular a WW1 download as TLF's Through the Mud and Blood, but Over The Top is like legit mythical artifact nobody can find. What was the print run, 3?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Psychic phase rotates in and out of existence every few editions. Just wait a while and it'll be gone.

Because that sounds dope, I really like that rules system for playing small-ish games, but it's very hero-based, and I dunno how well it would convert to Napoleon having 4 Might and 2 Fate or whatever.

The best way to play that game was to ditch named characters anyway. I loved my generic Goblin army back in the day.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Yes, those LOTR rules. With significant changes, of course. Leaders aren't big heroes who wade into combat swinging; instead, they have more conventional abilities like bonuses on rolls for reinforcements or nearby troop morale.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 17, 2021

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

JcDent posted:

Also, Great War is on /th/ as popular a WW1 download as TLF's Through the Mud and Blood, but Over The Top is like legit mythical artifact nobody can find. What was the print run, 3?

Good thing I stocked up.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
What is /th/, some reddit thing?

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

What is /th/, some reddit thing?

I'm 99% sure it's 4chan's Traditional Gaming board /tg/, but JcDent hit the h instead of the g on his keyboard.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Trafalgar was good, though I only got a few games in. There was an article in Wargames Illustrated that I still keep with a bunch of house rules to make it more historical. But basically it was the fun parts of 40K shooting rules tacked on to a light version of battletech hit point boxes and some sailing movement rules bolted on, which worked better than it sounds like it should.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

LatwPIAT posted:

I'm 99% sure it's 4chan's Traditional Gaming board /tg/, but JcDent hit the h instead of the g on his keyboard.

My fingats? Fat?! Can't be!

Cessna posted:

Good thing I stocked up.

I think you know what must be done.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

JcDent posted:

I think you know what must be done.

I've got British and German armies, now I need to build a trench terrain table.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I meant digitalization, though non-destructive services are probably very expensive...

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Okay, my friend has expressed interest in doing some WW2 wargaming, so staying on my "must 3D print" rule, I see that theres loads of availability for infantry from the March To Hell kickstarter and also plenty of various .stl files out there for any vehicle I may want. I'm thinking 15 mm figs based individually on pennies, playing Bolt Action first and then as the collection grows (maybe, hopefully), trying group based figs with magnetic trays and playing maybe BKC.

I was wondering if anyone had some single fig skirmish rules other than Bolt Action or Chain of Command they liked?

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
It's an "expensive" buy in due to having to get the cards but honestly I love Combat Patrol. In reality the rules are free if you're interested and for the price of normal rulebook from other games you get enough decks for 4 players.

If you want to start really small there's 5 Men at Kursk / Normandy.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

The thread advice to me was to base 15mm on washers

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Okay, my friend has expressed interest in doing some WW2 wargaming, so staying on my "must 3D print" rule, I see that theres loads of availability for infantry from the March To Hell kickstarter and also plenty of various .stl files out there for any vehicle I may want. I'm thinking 15 mm figs based individually on pennies, playing Bolt Action first and then as the collection grows (maybe, hopefully), trying group based figs with magnetic trays and playing maybe BKC.

I was wondering if anyone had some single fig skirmish rules other than Bolt Action or Chain of Command they liked?

You'll also want terrain. I got in on two Kickstarters from https://wowbuildings.net/product-category/ww2/ those folks and am very happy with the 15mm scaled prints I've done so far. They're the ones that are going to make me update to a bigger printer sooner rather than later.

Here's their last KS campaign if you want LOTS of pictures of STLs,

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wowbuildings/wow-buildings-liberates-italy-3d-printable-stl-files/description

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I gave into the temptation and backed babbys first kickstarter on the March To Hell drive (and hit the M36 stretch goal threshold :toot:). Here's hoping that I'll soon live close enough to a person or business that lets me print them off at a reasonable price.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Guest2553 posted:

I gave into the temptation and backed babbys first kickstarter on the March To Hell drive (and hit the M36 stretch goal threshold :toot:). Here's hoping that I'll soon live close enough to a person or business that lets me print them off at a reasonable price.

Where are you located? Might be able to direct you to someone

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Oh that March to Hell kickstarter is still going! That's a good place to get in on some .stls. Thanks for that, and for the poster who linked the models of the terrain, I'll bookmark that for the future

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Oh that March to Hell kickstarter is still going! That's a good place to get in on some .stls. Thanks for that, and for the poster who linked the models of the terrain, I'll bookmark that for the future

They're a couple hundred euros away from unlocking the Big 4's tank riders (unless 'tank raiders' is more than a typo) which would be nice to have more accessible. Engineers and universal carriers are pretty cheap and generally plentiful.

Class Warcraft posted:

Where are you located? Might be able to direct you to someone

PM sent :)

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 20, 2021

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
How do you all go about basing historical minis? Since it seems like their feet are usually attached to a base already like these:

Whereas from what I've seen of at least GW minis their feet start out separate.

If I wanted to e.g. multibase them all, should I start by cutting those original bases off? Or am I supposed to conceal them somehow? I'm worried it'll look like every one of my dudes is standing on a tiny hill.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Usually these dissapear entirely if you just use some texture paste, sand, or grit to base them and then put static grass, flock, or other basing materials on top of the base.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Koramei posted:

How do you all go about basing historical minis? Since it seems like their feet are usually attached to a base already like these:

Whereas from what I've seen of at least GW minis their feet start out separate.

If I wanted to e.g. multibase them all, should I start by cutting those original bases off? Or am I supposed to conceal them somehow? I'm worried it'll look like every one of my dudes is standing on a tiny hill.

I got some minis a while back with stands like that, and trying to cut them off was a nightmare. I managed to mangle a few feet in the process.

Just glue them on, and when they're based properly with dirt or grass or whatever, you'll barely be able to tell they're half a mm taller.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

You can also use a little extra filler material, smoothed up to the edge of the lip if you're worried. Helps minimize the height difference.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
If the integral bases are way too big (looking at you, Victrix), I use a pair of nippers to just shorten them a bit. Then I glue them on the actual bases, and use green stuff and/or some spackle paste to even out the gap. After that you don't get thet whole pitcher's mound look that you might expect.

These all had integral bases that were covered up by spackle:

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 26, 2021

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The only time this is really a problem is with 15mm or smaller metal figures with thick bases. Some old FoW stuff had bases that added a head to the model height. Filing that down took ages...

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

A strange sound floats in off the wind, like that of a distant train...

--

My mountain for the Isandlwana mega-game I'm going to be hosting (hopefully) soon. As you can see, a couple cracks opened up during my finishing stages, so that'll be something to fix eventually. For now though, I'm going to focus on painting the last units of Zulus!

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Some Bolt Action impressions, three games deep in:

National special rules sure are not created equal. Soviets get a basically worthless Inexperienced Rifle Squad for free, as well as the ability to reroll morale checks. Meanwhile, Brits get a free artillery observer and get to choose from a whole smorgasbord of extremely good special rules.

Speaking of artillery observers, oh boy these guys are not fun. One little poo poo with binoculars gets to call in the hand of god and pin the poo poo out of everything and maybe land giant HE hits. Extra fun that they are free for Brits.

Heavy howitzers are pretty oppressive. A giant template that will always hit 5 or more models because of unit cohesion rules which kills on a 2+ and causes D6 pinning. Unless you can take it out, a heavy howitzer armed tank will gleefully yeet entire infantry units off the table each turn.

Speaking of heavy howitzers, it is very cool that the Churchill AVRE, which could not be loaded without actually getting out of the tank, has no kind of slow firing special rule of any kind, while the IS-2 and ISUs get that rule.

Small support teams and officers are extremely hard to keep alive, since they can just be targeted by shooting despite standing near infantry, and die like regular folks.

The missions aren't terribly well designed. We played the Top Secret mission, which has you try to carry an objective in the middle off the table. That means it is 24" from the table edges, which means that running infantry can get to it on turn 2. Unless you can wipe it out before it can activate again, it can run 12" back, hand the objective to another unit that hasn't activated yet, which can then run right off the table on turn 3, with very little the opponent can actually do to stop it unless they get very lucky on shooting.

But... in spite of this litany of whining and complaint, the game itself is actually pretty good! The activation system is good, the game plays good, and it is fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Disclaimer: this post is just to discuss some of your concerns, and isn't meant to diminish your impressions but just to add my 2cents as someone who has played a LOT of Bolt Action...

Geisladisk posted:

Some Bolt Action impressions, three games deep in:

National special rules sure are not created equal. Soviets get a basically worthless Inexperienced Rifle Squad for free, as well as the ability to reroll morale checks. Meanwhile, Brits get a free artillery observer and get to choose from a whole smorgasbord of extremely good special rules.

Yeah, the British national rules are really good. The Soviet rules aren't terrible though. The free squad is a godsend at lower point games, and is still useful to hold an objective (it's combat value is basically nil, though).

quote:

Speaking of artillery observers, oh boy these guys are not fun. One little poo poo with binoculars gets to call in the hand of god and pin the poo poo out of everything and maybe land giant HE hits. Extra fun that they are free for Brits.

There are a couple ways to counter these. One is to kill the forward observer before they can launch their strike (snipers are best for this) or keep your troops spread out. The barrage "follows" the unit it was called in on so if oftentimes you can run that unit them away from everyone else (or towards the enemy so they get caught in the barrage too) to minimize the damage. Artillery strikes are pretty powerful, but they are definitely needed for missions where one side is attacking defended positions, otherwise you'd never be able to pry them out. My favorite of the Soviet rules is that their artillery barrages are even larger than those of the other nations which let you absolutely rain pins on the enemy.

quote:

Heavy howitzers are pretty oppressive. A giant template that will always hit 5 or more models because of unit cohesion rules which kills on a 2+ and causes D6 pinning. Unless you can take it out, a heavy howitzer armed tank will gleefully yeet entire infantry units off the table each turn.

Just want to make sure that you're rolling to hit BEFORE pulling out the template to see how many guys are in the blast zone. By default this would be a 3+ hit, but you can also elect to go DOWN if the unit hasn't acted yet and before they roll to hit, which turns it into a 5+ to hit, and if you're in cover, possibly a 6+ or 7+. If you're DOWN and it does land, it'll also halve the number of hits you take. Any HE firing indirectly (like mortars or artillery not firing over open sights) will only hit on a 6 the first time they're shooting at a target.

quote:

Speaking of heavy howitzers, it is very cool that the Churchill AVRE, which could not be loaded without actually getting out of the tank, has no kind of slow firing special rule of any kind, while the IS-2 and ISUs get that rule.

A lot of tanks definitely need some adjustments, both for points and rules. Like for example, a StuG is only 5 points less than a Panzer IV, but lacks a turret and has only one MMG while the Panzer IV has two. Very weird.

quote:

Small support teams and officers are extremely hard to keep alive, since they can just be targeted by shooting despite standing near infantry, and die like regular folks.
Just want to make sure you know that there is a -1 penalty to shooting at units with less than 3 men in it, which means if they're in cover they're very difficult to kill.

quote:

The missions aren't terribly well designed. We played the Top Secret mission, which has you try to carry an objective in the middle off the table. That means it is 24" from the table edges, which means that running infantry can get to it on turn 2. Unless you can wipe it out before it can activate again, it can run 12" back, hand the objective to another unit that hasn't activated yet, which can then run right off the table on turn 3, with very little the opponent can actually do to stop it unless they get very lucky on shooting.

I'd highly recommend using missions from the campaign books rather than the core missions in the rulebook. The rulebook missions are pretty bland and some of them really favor certain armies over others (looking at you, Double Envelopment). As for Secret Mission, I've played it a number of times at tournaments and this is solved by either placing the objective in a dead-zone without cover, making actually going to retrieve it pretty dangerous, or having players table edges be the short edges or corners.

Class Warcraft fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 27, 2021