Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Len posted:

But the credits rolled so it's optional

The whole game is optional unless someone’s holding a gun to your head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
You can still use your radical free will to refuse the orders of the gunman, just beware of the consequences.
Probably worth it to avoid having to play through a hundred-hour jrpg though

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Best Harvest Moon ending is just letting your dog straight up kill the Mayor like 10 minutes in to Harvest Moon DS.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I've been playing Metroid Fusion, because the Metroid Dread announcement got me in the mood for filling that gap in my Metroid experience.

That game... really likes you doing the Shinespark, a special trick with the Speed Booster that in Super Metroid (and later in Zero Mission) was only used for collecting hidden, completely optional items. Fusion doesn't just make the Shinespark a required tool to progress, it actually asks that of you to get the exact next thing needed for progression. And for a game famous for hand-holding you through a genre and series that usually doesn't, for some reason it neither telegraphs that you need to do this OR tell you how to. It just trusts that you A: know how to Shinespark, B: can recognize an otherwise nondescript room where it's possible, and C: think to aim it at an inconspicuous corner of that room.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Piranha Bytes announced Elex II, which they insist will be the fifth or sixth time they aim to recapture the magic of Gothic 2. No, you still can't play a female character nor play anything beyond a lumpy white dude with no personality.

Is it any wonder every other WRPG developer leaves this company in the dust?

Elex owned though. Very broken, very memorable.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

MiddleOne posted:

Elex owned though. Very broken, very memorable.

Yeah, Piranha Bytes makes very specific games that appeal to a very specific audience. Elex broke once my cleric got the glove with the black hole generator that sucked enemies into it. I went from running from everything to stunlocking mutants the size of houses.

It was nice seeing a post apocalyptic world in a game that wasn't a direct knockoff of Fallout, too. Fallout's brand of Americana tinged post apocalypse is starting to become as generic as D&D style medieval fantasy.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Really wished Challenge mode in Lumines let you retry from your current level instead of having to start all over again when you screw up. I'd heard Shinin' way too many times already.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

i installed the second mordor game and i should really go do story stuff to get more skills and unlock more mechanics

but orcs must die

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I found the second Mordor game irritating as gently caress compared to the first one.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Agents are GO! posted:

I found the second Mordor game irritating as gently caress compared to the first one.

It's just too long and grindy.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

There was pretty large sentiment following Shadow of Mordor that "the same thing, but more, would be amazing!" so Shadow of War added a shitload of mechanics, progression, and grinding on top of it and it turns out that kind of sucks the fun out of the game. Not to mention they went hard on loot boxes right around the peak of the loot box outrage cycle so the game had a pretty big stink on it from day 1.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The problem I had with Shadow of Mordor was that splitting the game across two maps meant you didn't get to interact with half of your orcs for a big chunk of the game.

Shadow of War took place across eight or so maps.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

The Moon Monster posted:

There was pretty large sentiment following Shadow of Mordor that "the same thing, but more, would be amazing!" so Shadow of War added a shitload of mechanics, progression, and grinding on top of it and it turns out that kind of sucks the fun out of the game. Not to mention they went hard on loot boxes right around the peak of the loot box outrage cycle so the game had a pretty big stink on it from day 1.

it also added paytowin lootboxes to a single player game

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
It was weird picking of Shadow of War recently. I beat the game then got ready to do the super grindy seiges or whatever that I had heard about, then completed like three or four of them or something and was done.

Apparently they had patched out that grinding at some point, but the trophy guide I was following didn't mention that. So, a pleasant surprise.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Morpheus posted:

It was weird picking of Shadow of War recently. I beat the game then got ready to do the super grindy seiges or whatever that I had heard about, then completed like three or four of them or something and was done.

Apparently they had patched out that grinding at some point, but the trophy guide I was following didn't mention that. So, a pleasant surprise.

I had a similar experience playing Wolfenstein: Youngblood earlier this year. They apparently heavily tweaked gun damage and enemy health since launch so instead of the tedious sea of bulletsponges the bad reviews promised, I was blasting through legions of Nazis with my on-command quad-damage while my sister did the robot dance over the carnage.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Len posted:

i installed the second mordor game and i should really go do story stuff to get more skills and unlock more mechanics

but orcs must die

Definitely finish the first act so you can start killing and recruiting. Also, one of the main first act missions gives you a double jump, it cuts down on the climbing.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I started Ghost of Tsushima tonight. The thing dragging it down is that it so far seems like an incredibly standard open world game with good presentation, if embarrassingly committed to C grade samurai honor tropes. The hype when it came out made me expect something more.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

it also added paytowin lootboxes to a single player game

Yeah, that was like half of my two sentence post.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Shiroc posted:

I started Ghost of Tsushima tonight. The thing dragging it down is that it so far seems like an incredibly standard open world game with good presentation, if embarrassingly committed to C grade samurai honor tropes. The hype when it came out made me expect something more.

Seems like fuurin kazan the game which might be good and also might be really boring (much like the show)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Shiroc posted:

Its weird; thats what reviewers pegged it as but it shattered sales records in Japan and forced a bunch of Japanese companies to re-evaluate how they make games and there are die hard fans globally hyping it up for BAFTAs and Game of the Year awards.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm a bit further along in Ghost of Tsushima and so far the honor thing, after taking up a good amount of space initially, is very much taking a backseat. Actually if I was uncharitable I'd say it comes off as a bit of a token moral conflict, so the game can justifiably both be The Samurai Game and retain the safe standard open world stealth mechanics. But it's very well done and I like it a lot, and "standard open world game with samurai tropes" is basically all I ever expected.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

That loving mission in Fallout 4 where you have to shadow the Brotherhood of Steel soldier. First of all, stealth doesn't really work in the Fallout games. Then you have the Bethesda jank on top of that. If you're spotter you risk that he bugs out and return to his post and never leave or going in circles by the seaside.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Cleretic posted:

I've been playing Metroid Fusion, because the Metroid Dread announcement got me in the mood for filling that gap in my Metroid experience.

That game... really likes you doing the Shinespark, a special trick with the Speed Booster that in Super Metroid (and later in Zero Mission) was only used for collecting hidden, completely optional items. Fusion doesn't just make the Shinespark a required tool to progress, it actually asks that of you to get the exact next thing needed for progression. And for a game famous for hand-holding you through a genre and series that usually doesn't, for some reason it neither telegraphs that you need to do this OR tell you how to. It just trusts that you A: know how to Shinespark, B: can recognize an otherwise nondescript room where it's possible, and C: think to aim it at an inconspicuous corner of that room.
Are you sure you need the shinespark? If the room you're talking about is the one in PYR, you can do a normal jump at full speed to crash through the speed blocks. It's like that part in Super Metroid where you have to get over a large gap in lower Norfair, you can spark it but it's designed for just running and jumping.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Shiroc posted:

Barudak posted:

Its weird; thats what reviewers pegged it as but it shattered sales records in Japan and forced a bunch of Japanese companies to re-evaluate how they make games and there are die hard fans globally hyping it up for BAFTAs and Game of the Year awards.

I love it because it's super well-made and its combat system is just :kiss: to the point where I immediately replayed through it and platinumed it after the first time, which I practically never do. That's what made it a GOTY contender in my mind, it's just so darn fun.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Days Gone was the same way. Completely bog standard concepts and it just landed the execution insanely well.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

For a game that presents itself as playing a careful hunter relying on stealth and traps more than brute force, Horizon Zero Dawn sure loves throwing you into unavoidable open combat. And it's just... not very good at that.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Perestroika posted:

For a game that presents itself as playing a careful hunter relying on stealth and traps more than brute force, Horizon Zero Dawn sure loves throwing you into unavoidable open combat. And it's just... not very good at that.

I just tried to do the quest where you fight the big machine in the quarry and it was the worst so far for this kind of thing. I just decided to ditch it as I couldn't work out how to damage it at all and stealth seemed absolutely out of the question.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You can freeze it, blow off the digger claws so it can't burrow, or tie it down with the ropecaster. Or specifically for that fight, you can hide behind the wooden boards on the ramp leading down into the quarry and just duck to dodge his rock spit attack.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Holy poo poo I can't believe people actually thought Mass Effect 2's shooting parts were better than ME1's. I mean the first game wasn't great in that regard but I'm playing ME2 and now I'm remembering why I stopped playing in the first place. The devs took the encounter design from Uncharted 1, ie the waves of spawning enemies from nowhere, and thought "hey this is good encounter design right? Yeah gently caress it"

I'm at a mission to turn on some fans. Enter the room, five guys spawn to fight. Hit switch. Go to next room, three more guys come out. Kill them, go into room, come back out. Six more have spawned, kill them, turn corner, four more enemies spawn, all with rocket launchers. Take them out and a half a dozen more walk out of the door I'm about to enter.

It's not even hard, and im playing on Insanity. It's just so loving tedious playing whack-a-mole with enemies whose guns are firing at me before they even stand up our of cover. Every single encounter in this mission has been 'walk into room, enemies run though door, kill them, more enemies run though door but now there's a pyro, kill them and more enemies run through the door but now there's a krogan.'

I've died twice because I've gotten impatient, and each attempt at this room takes like ten minutes.

And of course because they wanted to use their generic as poo poo ammo system, the only gun I have that's good against armor has about two dozen shots before it's useless and I get to plink away at the yellow health bar before I can take care of the red health bar. I'd use the powerful gun but BioWare doesn't want you having fun so it's severely limited in ammo.

I legitimately can't believe people praised this game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If you're playing the rerelease collection they back ported tons of QoL and mechanical features for combat into ME1 vastly improving its gunplay.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Maybe they should've ported some good gunplay into ME2. I'm currently watching dozens of rockets fly towards my cover inefdectually because 'a bunch of guys with infinite rockets on high platforms that can barely hurt you or figure out waste-high walls' is good design.

Edit: of course I forgot one of the waves that spawn immediately after killing the first wave and pressing a button

Morpheus has a new favorite as of 03:13 on Jun 22, 2021

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Morpheus posted:

Holy poo poo I can't believe people actually thought Mass Effect 2's shooting parts were better than ME1's. I mean the first game wasn't great in that regard but I'm playing ME2 and now I'm remembering why I stopped playing in the first place. The devs took the encounter design from Uncharted 1, ie the waves of spawning enemies from nowhere, and thought "hey this is good encounter design right? Yeah gently caress it"

I'm at a mission to turn on some fans. Enter the room, five guys spawn to fight. Hit switch. Go to next room, three more guys come out. Kill them, go into room, come back out. Six more have spawned, kill them, turn corner, four more enemies spawn, all with rocket launchers. Take them out and a half a dozen more walk out of the door I'm about to enter.

It's not even hard, and im playing on Insanity. It's just so loving tedious playing whack-a-mole with enemies whose guns are firing at me before they even stand up our of cover. Every single encounter in this mission has been 'walk into room, enemies run though door, kill them, more enemies run though door but now there's a pyro, kill them and more enemies run through the door but now there's a krogan.'

I've died twice because I've gotten impatient, and each attempt at this room takes like ten minutes.

And of course because they wanted to use their generic as poo poo ammo system, the only gun I have that's good against armor has about two dozen shots before it's useless and I get to plink away at the yellow health bar before I can take care of the red health bar. I'd use the powerful gun but BioWare doesn't want you having fun so it's severely limited in ammo.

If it helps, the game mostly has a fixed number of enemies and the fan room is a big pain in the rear end.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Morpheus posted:

Incendiary ammo works great against armor.

Edit: I'm one of the fellow ME1-partisans. I'm playing ME:A again, and I think I realized both why I liked it so much and why it bombed, they're both because it feels like a more-Realized ME1 than 2 or 3.

Agents are GO! has a new favorite as of 03:15 on Jun 22, 2021

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Agents are GO! posted:

Incendiary ammo works great against armor.

It's the only reason I'm doing anything at all to them. That and what's her name's warp attack.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Maybe they should've ported some good gunplay into ME2. I'm currently watching dozens of rockets fly towards my cover inefdectually because 'a bunch of guys with infinite rockets on high platforms that can barely hurt you or figure out waste-high walls' is good design.

Edit: of course I forgot one of the waves that spawn immediately after killing the first wave and pressing a button

Look, maybe the next re-release in 10 years will fix this

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I praised ME2 then and I’ll praise it now just try and stop me

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Don't gently caress With Aria

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

If it helps, the game mostly has a fixed number of enemies and the fan room is a big pain in the rear end.

Yeah the fans objective stands out in my memory as being very annoying. ME2 combat also doesn't really doesn't come into its own until later when you have a bunch of powers to play with between Shepard and your crew.

Not that I think later parts will blow your mind Morpheuss if you're not already okay with it, but I'm not surprised the fans are where you decided to rant about it.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Cleretic posted:

Sounds similar to how you get the real ending in Bloodstained. You have to find a hidden area, get a secret ability, go to a specific spot, use that ability, and have a specific armor equipped to pass a bunch of spikes. Even then, you still don't get the REAL real ending unless you do a very specific thing in a boss fight, beat another area, and beat two more bosses, one of which is a multi-stage fight with even more specific mechanics. 100%ing that game was a huge pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Don’t play Mass Effect 2 on Insanity mode, it gives all enemies Protection (shields/armor/barriers) that makes them immune to most of your powers until you remove it. It’s an astonishingly dumb design decision, and the game is far better on a lower difficulty where you can actually knock people down and stun them and things.