Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

A whole lot of words but zero concrete criticisms of the content of MC. You mentioned that Chomsky and Herman excluded news stories that would contradict their thesis... but offer no examples. You say the propaganda model is “unfalsifiable”... but obviously you could challenge it by finding, for example, instances where presumably “unworthy” victims are covered as much or more and with similar quality as “worthy” victims.

As for the argument from authority meta-debate. Saying “my argument from authority is valid because my expert is a real expert” begs the question: who decides who is and isn’t an expert? Joepinetree has shown that Chomsky and Herman can be considered “experts” by any reasonable definition. Both of them have taught classes on the media after all and their work are cited in mainstream texts in media analysis. So if argument from authority is valid then I suppose you all have to bow down to the experts Chomsky and Herman and recognize the fundamental validity of their analysis.

Or you know, we could look at their arguments, the evidence supporting them, and evaluate for ourselves whether we find them convincing or not.

Lord of Lies posted:

The bolded part is important because the Propaganda Model does just that: it treats mass media as "a monolithic entity to be confronted." From this, we can safely assume that the reason it is used as material in this particular course at least is as an example of how not to approach media literacy.

Does it? Here's an excerpt from the introduction, literally the first couple pages of the book:

quote:

Structural factors are those such as ownership and control, dependence on other major funding sources (notably, advertisers), and mutual interests and relationships between the media and those who make the news and have the power to define it and explain what it means. The propaganda model also incorporates other closely related factors such as the ability to complain about the media’s treatment of news (that is, produce “flak”), to provide “experts” to confirm the official slant on the news, and to fix the basic principles and ideologies that are taken for granted by media personnel and the elite, but are often resisted by the general population.1 In our view, the same underlying power sources that own the media and fund them as advertisers, that serve as primary definers of the news, and that produce flak and proper-thinking experts, also play a key role in fixing basic principles and the dominant ideologies. We believe that what journalists do, what they see as newsworthy, and what they take for granted as premises of their work are frequently well explained by the incentives, pressures, and constraints incorporated into such a structural analysis.

These structural factors that dominate media operations are not all-controlling and do not always produce simple and homogeneous results. It is well recognized, and may even be said to constitute a part of an institutional critique such as we present in this volume, that the various parts of media organizations have some limited autonomy, that individual and professional values influence media work, that policy is imperfectly enforced, and that media policy itself may allow some measure of dissent and reporting that calls into question the accepted viewpoint. These considerations all work to assure some dissent and coverage of inconvenient facts.2 The beauty of the system, however, is that such dissent and inconvenient information are kept within bounds and at the margins, so that while their presence shows that the system is not monolithic, they are not large enough to interfere unduly with the domination of the official agenda.

You said you read MC three times??

Red and Black fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jun 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

joepinetree posted:

First, I am fairly sure that whatever criticisms can be made of Freud, no one would consider him "outside the field." Second, a 1988 book cannot be compared to the role a foundational but outdated reference plays in a field. Third, the "Current Debates in Media" MIT course I linked to is a graduate level class, which, by its very name, indicates that it is about current debates. Fourth, besides the syllabi I linked, I also linked to a reader for the field and reflections from someone on teaching media literacy. But let's flip this around: what would you need to see to determine whether media studies people think that book and the authors belong to the "field?"
You're missing the point. Freud is relevant to psychology; Freud is, at best, a joke in the science. In both undergrad and graduate school a common practice is to require students to read and analyze bad papers so that they can see what a bad paper looks like and in the future identify bad papers as they come up and avoid making similar mistakes to the authors. This includes papers written in the past several years that are indisputably in whichever field the program is in. Whether or not the book is on topic doesn't matter here in the slightest, the question is whether Chomsky is useful for the purposes of this discussion. In other words,

evilweasel posted:

the critique he is offering is, specifically, that chomsky's work isn't very good and that the parts that are good have been done better by actual experts.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

joepinetree posted:

But it wasn't a rebuttal to "MC offers little to no useful material," because that is a non-statement that can't be argued. It was a rebuttal to it being for "lay persons" from someone "outside the field." It is clear that people in the field don't think of Chomsky as being outside the field, and it is clear that, to criticize it or not, it is included in a number of academic curricula (and one of the syllabi is from a graduate seminar). I don't think my post in any way was an argument that the book is good. It was simply pointing out the absurdity of an appeal to authority about "fields" and lay persons that simply wasn't true.

interestingly, this boring meta-argument is actually relevant to this thread in an odd way, even if it was touched off by someone just saying "read chomsky" and getting

in short, the criticism of chomsky's work that was leveled is that he is not an expert in the field, and that his book is directed at lay audiences.

the former is simple enough: a non-expert telling you things is less reliable than an expert telling you things. the fact that his work has been discussed in the field since then does not make him an expert - i read plenty of books in my college classes (a long time ago) that were on the syllabus to explain their impact, not because they were right. that said, of course, a non-expert can be right and an expert can be wrong: but it is a useful heuristic that you should be less trusting of a non-expert than an expert, and if you are going to take the time to read a book on something you may want to invest your time in works by the best-regarded experts - you do not, after all, have infinite time.

the latter is getting glossed over and should not, because that's the part that's most relevant here. the problem of a book directed at lay audiences is in the incentives, and in the measurement of success. in short: the goal is to sell books to as many people as possible, and your success will be dictated by how well you sell books to as many people as possible. that introduces several biases. one is accessibility: the material needs to be intelligible to a layperson. that's mostly good - it forces you to refine your thinking and understand it better in order to explain it in a simpler way, without jargon. but it introduces a strong bias to simplify not only the explanation but the concepts as well, and that introduces a problem. for a complex subject, a popular book will tend to elide over the complex stuff that cannot be meaningfully explained to a layperson - but without making clear it is doing so, because a book that leaves the reader feeling they understand the subject will sell better than one that leaves the reader with further work to do.

more problematically, however, it introduces a bias towards what readers will like as opposed to what is correct, malcom gladwell is a good example. much of his stuff is utter nonsense, that actual experts hold in complete disdain. but he's a very good storyteller and makes a reader feel they understand a subject and feel they have learned something, even though they haven't. and this is where the "accessibility" thing rears its ugly side: an accessible, but wrong, explanation will sell worse than one that is less accessible, but correct. further, it can lead to active biases against being correct: a book that is correct, but does not offer pleasing conclusions to the reader will sell more poorly than one that is incorrect but offers pleasing conclusions to the reader. ra-rah history books are perhaps the most obvious of these, but the problem is pervasive: the incentives in book-writing are not aligned with being correct, they are aligned with being popular.

works aimed at other experts or to advance scholarship will have other biases - towards being correct, or at least not wrong (the two are not the same) at the expense of being useful to anyone but the author and a handful of other experts, for example. but given that they will rise and fall on their merits to a greater degree there is, at least, a greater pressure to being correct - and if they are not, other expert works will likely explain why.

now, does this mean a popular book, or one directed at the public, is always wrong, always useless, etc? no, of course not. for one, it is often necessary to simplify concepts in a way that is wrong (but yet teaches you something useful) even to people intending to become experts. but if you simply say "read x book to understand this subject" it is a valid response to say "that's a book aimed at a lay audience" to make clear that no, it's not for understanding the subject, it is likely at best useful for an introduction to the subject.

it is a consistent problem that people read introductory material, that dramatically oversimplifies things, and assume they understand it. my personal bugabear is people who took an econ 101 class and think that what they were taught in that class is how things work, instead of incredibly simplified models that have been deliberately simplified to eliminate any need for calculus in introductory classes, to just sort of illustrate a general concept. much in the same way molecules are not, in fact, hard balls with tubes connecting them to other molecules, except with even less intended connection to reality. but that's the thing about a popular book - people want to feel they understand the subject, they do not want to be told they need to understand calculus to even get the basics right, and they do not want to be told "these are really broad general concepts to illustrate things you need to think about, not How Things Work"

now, at the end of the day, it matters if the underlying stuff is right or wrong - again, plenty of popular books on academic subjects have valuable insights. but this whole digression happened in response to someone who identified none of the underlying ideas they wanted to talk about - merely to recommend the book. you complain that the criticism was not detailed enough to point to specific ideas that were wrong - but of course it would be silly to do that when the ideas the poster wanted to discuss were not identified. instead, it was a "this is why that's not a useful use of your time, and you should look to other sources instead" which is a helpful and useful response to someone discussing reading a book (not exactly a one-minute affair) as opposed to a short article or the like.

Red and Black posted:

Does it? Here's an excerpt from the introduction, literally the first couple pages of the book:

it should go without saying that a book (or any other work) that does not intend to do something, and indeed says that would be a mistake, can go right ahead and make that mistake anyway.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Epinephrine posted:

You're missing the point. Freud is relevant to psychology; Freud is, at best, a joke in the science. In both undergrad and graduate school a common practice is to require students to read and analyze bad papers so that they can see what a bad paper looks like and in the future identify bad papers as they come up and avoid making similar mistakes to the authors. This includes papers written in the past several years that are indisputably in whichever field the program is in. Whether or not the book is on topic doesn't matter here in the slightest, the question is whether Chomsky is useful for the purposes of this discussion. In other words,

This is getting really stupid. No, Freud isn't cited because it's an example of how not to write a paper. Freud is cited because he is a foundational, if outdated figure in psychology.

The syllabi I posted are right there. You can read where they cite Chomsky to see if they are presenting him as outdated in the same way you claim here. The media literacy reader is right there. You can look up the table of contents to see if they are presenting his texts in the same context you claim there. The "reflection on teaching media literacy" is linked right there. You can read it and see if they are presenting that book in the same context you claim here. The answer to all of those is that no, they are not. Do you think that when the Annenberg School for Communication at the University of Pennsylvania would have Edward S Herman teach there they were doing it to teach students wrong, as a joke?

Like, funny thing: manufacturing consent is Chomsky's most assigned book:
https://opensyllabus.org/result/author?id=Noam+Chomsky

and of the over 500 syllabi it appears in in the open syllabi database, 135 of them are in media and communications.

Not to mention that this whole discussion is absolutely meaningless as to whether it is a lay facing book from someone outside the field.

This is one of the clearest examples of motivated reasoning in these forums, where every bit of inconvenient data is explained away without ever having to present your own. But hey, there are 553 syllabi out there online with manufacturing content on it. Can you find say, 5, where it is clearly being presented as what to no write as you claim here?

You fundamentally misunderstand my argument. Either that or you are trying to distort what I said. My point isn't that every appeal to authority is a fallacy. My point is that Discendo Vox's argument that it is a book from someone "outside the field" is wrong. That people with far better credentials than anyone in this thread have a very different view of what is presented here, and that as such the view of what is in the field that is presented in this thread is just plain wrong. There are many gatekeepers as to what can be considered in a field or not. The people who hire professors, for example, gatekeep who belongs in a field or not. Those gatekeepers certain disagree with what was presented here as "in the field." After all, Edward S Herman frequently taught at one of the top communications schools in the country. People who edit books and publish materials gatekeep what belongs in a canon. Those gatekeepers certainly disagree with what was presented here. After all, Chomsky and Herman are included in the Media Literacy reader, and manufacturing consent is cited in the piece reflecting on teaching media literacy. College professors gatekeep what goes on their syllabi. And here it is clear that those experts see manufacturing consent as part of the canon. After all, it gets included in graduate level syllabi at places like the Comparative Media Studies department at the MIT. Can you point to a similar thing with Malcolm Gladwell? Of Gladwell being included in sociology readers, assigned in graduate level sociology courses, being cited by experts on its role in teaching sociology? Not to mention that this isn't biochemistry. The vast majority of books and papers on the media are easy enough to read by lay persons. Marshall McLuhan, Stuart Hall, John Storey are all eminently readable by anyone with any background. Hell, Theodor Adorno is probably the hardest author I had to read when I was getting my PhD, and while his books are almost impenetrable for someone without a background in the field, "The Culture Industry: Enlightenment as Mass Deception" could be read by any lay person, and no one in the field used it against the text. And while I can't claim to be an expert on media, I did take PhD level classes on the sociology of mass media and on the sociology of culture, and did teach a class on "popular culture and society" when I was a postdoc. So if pointing to syllabi, readers, texts are not enough to prove that the assertion there was wrong, I am fine transitioning to comparing personal credentials.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 19, 2021

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

joepinetree posted:

Like, funny thing: manufacturing consent is Chomsky's most assigned book:
https://opensyllabus.org/result/author?id=Noam+Chomsky
This is one of the clearest examples of motivated reasoning in these forums, where every bit of inconvenient data is explained away without ever having to present your own. But hey, there are 553 syllabi out there online with manufacturing content on it. Can you find say, 5, where it is clearly being presented as what to no write as you claim here?

i spent a while thinking perhaps i just could not figure out how to find the syllabuses on this site because i hadn't had any coffee and was missing the obvious, but finally found this in the "about" section:

quote:

All shared syllabi are ‘private’ by default—they will not be available for display or download. But we are also building a public collection that we will make available for download. If you are willing to share on this basis, please put ‘public’ in the email subject line.

so i do not think that anyone can meet that standard, because I think the site doesn't have that public collection yet! and even if it did, most would not be in it. however, in response to your argument from syllabuses: https://opensyllabus.org/result/author?id=Malcolm+Gladwell

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

evilweasel posted:

interestingly, this boring meta-argument is actually relevant to this thread in an odd way, even if it was touched off by someone just saying "read chomsky" and getting

in short, the criticism of chomsky's work that was leveled is that he is not an expert in the field, and that his book is directed at lay audiences.

the former is simple enough: a non-expert telling you things is less reliable than an expert telling you things. the fact that his work has been discussed in the field since then does not make him an expert - i read plenty of books in my college classes (a long time ago) that were on the syllabus to explain their impact, not because they were right. that said, of course, a non-expert can be right and an expert can be wrong: but it is a useful heuristic that you should be less trusting of a non-expert than an expert, and if you are going to take the time to read a book on something you may want to invest your time in works by the best-regarded experts - you do not, after all, have infinite time.

the latter is getting glossed over and should not, because that's the part that's most relevant here. the problem of a book directed at lay audiences is in the incentives, and in the measurement of success. in short: the goal is to sell books to as many people as possible, and your success will be dictated by how well you sell books to as many people as possible. that introduces several biases. one is accessibility: the material needs to be intelligible to a layperson. that's mostly good - it forces you to refine your thinking and understand it better in order to explain it in a simpler way, without jargon. but it introduces a strong bias to simplify not only the explanation but the concepts as well, and that introduces a problem. for a complex subject, a popular book will tend to elide over the complex stuff that cannot be meaningfully explained to a layperson - but without making clear it is doing so, because a book that leaves the reader feeling they understand the subject will sell better than one that leaves the reader with further work to do.

more problematically, however, it introduces a bias towards what readers will like as opposed to what is correct, malcom gladwell is a good example. much of his stuff is utter nonsense, that actual experts hold in complete disdain. but he's a very good storyteller and makes a reader feel they understand a subject and feel they have learned something, even though they haven't. and this is where the "accessibility" thing rears its ugly side: an accessible, but wrong, explanation will sell worse than one that is less accessible, but correct. further, it can lead to active biases against being correct: a book that is correct, but does not offer pleasing conclusions to the reader will sell more poorly than one that is incorrect but offers pleasing conclusions to the reader. ra-rah history books are perhaps the most obvious of these, but the problem is pervasive: the incentives in book-writing are not aligned with being correct, they are aligned with being popular.

works aimed at other experts or to advance scholarship will have other biases - towards being correct, or at least not wrong (the two are not the same) at the expense of being useful to anyone but the author and a handful of other experts, for example. but given that they will rise and fall on their merits to a greater degree there is, at least, a greater pressure to being correct - and if they are not, other expert works will likely explain why.

now, does this mean a popular book, or one directed at the public, is always wrong, always useless, etc? no, of course not. for one, it is often necessary to simplify concepts in a way that is wrong (but yet teaches you something useful) even to people intending to become experts. but if you simply say "read x book to understand this subject" it is a valid response to say "that's a book aimed at a lay audience" to make clear that no, it's not for understanding the subject, it is likely at best useful for an introduction to the subject.

it is a consistent problem that people read introductory material, that dramatically oversimplifies things, and assume they understand it. my personal bugabear is people who took an econ 101 class and think that what they were taught in that class is how things work, instead of incredibly simplified models that have been deliberately simplified to eliminate any need for calculus in introductory classes, to just sort of illustrate a general concept. much in the same way molecules are not, in fact, hard balls with tubes connecting them to other molecules, except with even less intended connection to reality. but that's the thing about a popular book - people want to feel they understand the subject, they do not want to be told they need to understand calculus to even get the basics right, and they do not want to be told "these are really broad general concepts to illustrate things you need to think about, not How Things Work"

now, at the end of the day, it matters if the underlying stuff is right or wrong - again, plenty of popular books on academic subjects have valuable insights. but this whole digression happened in response to someone who identified none of the underlying ideas they wanted to talk about - merely to recommend the book. you complain that the criticism was not detailed enough to point to specific ideas that were wrong - but of course it would be silly to do that when the ideas the poster wanted to discuss were not identified. instead, it was a "this is why that's not a useful use of your time, and you should look to other sources instead" which is a helpful and useful response to someone discussing reading a book (not exactly a one-minute affair) as opposed to a short article or the like.

it should go without saying that a book (or any other work) that does not intend to do something, and indeed says that would be a mistake, can go right ahead and make that mistake anyway.

thank you for explaining what other poster might have actually meant. now, what do you think of the book “manufacturing consent”, evilweasel?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Dude, if you're going to bloviate for half a page about how Chomsky and Herman might be targeting a popular audience, and thus might be making over-simplified arguments that might be opposed by "experts", maybe take a sentence or two to explain what arguments are being simplified, why those simplifications invalidate their model, and which experts are making these criticisms. I find it amusing that we have like 4 posters insisting that "experts" oppose Chomsky and Herman, but not a single expert or their criticism has been named. Have you simply decided in your head that because you're not politically aligned with Chomsky and Herman, that there must be "experts" out there contradicting them, even if you don't know who or why?

quote:

But they don't. As the subtitle of the book implies, the propaganda model describes the political economy of the mass media. Sometimes the media can be uniform in its coverage, but that doesn't mean the media acts as a single unit or with one mind. To say the media is a monolith is a very specific claim, which Chomsky and Herman never once make.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

evilweasel posted:

i spent a while thinking perhaps i just could not figure out how to find the syllabuses on this site because i hadn't had any coffee and was missing the obvious, but finally found this in the "about" section:

so i do not think that anyone can meet that standard, because I think the site doesn't have that public collection yet! and even if it did, most would not be in it. however, in response to your argument from syllabuses: https://opensyllabus.org/result/author?id=Malcolm+Gladwell

Funny thing, we can actually click on the books and see by which department they were assigned.

So manufacturing consent for example:

https://opensyllabus.org/result/title?id=61332132988846

is used in media/communications, political science, journalism and sociology.

Meanwhile, Gladwell's most used book:

https://opensyllabus.org/result/title?id=16243566313664

Is used primarily in literature and business. I think that speaks for itself.

But just in case it doesn't, why is it that you never get to the part where it was included in the reader for the field, cited by people reflecting on teaching in the field, and that the authors were eventually hired to teach in the field by top departments? My argument isn't "here's a syllabus that includes it." My argument is that every single type of gatekeeper of what goes into a field has a different idea than what is presented in this thread. What you are doing here is motivated reasoning, and from outside the field no less.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008
You've now missed the point, and twice, and it's beginning to look intentional. Your metric for "in field" is not relevant to the question of quality.

You assume that if it shows up a lot in syllabi then it's worthy of discussion and you then use the open course website to claim that Chomsky qualifies. Let's play that game out and see what other books are worthy of discussion by your metric:
- Guns, Germs, and Steel: used in 3,473 courses, including 1,192 in history
- The Signal and the Noise by Nate Silver: 400 courses, including 77 in mathematics
- Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking: 877 courses, including 190 in psychology
- Outliers: The Story of Success: 1,710 courses, including 173 in criminal justice and 123 in psychology
- The Bell Curve: 443 courses, including 117 in psychology
- Mein Kampf: 1,115 courses, including 146 in political science!

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Epinephrine posted:

You've now missed the point, and twice, and it's beginning to look intentional. Your metric for "in field" is not relevant to the question of quality.

You assume that if it shows up a lot in syllabi then it's worthy of discussion and you then use the open course website to claim that Chomsky qualifies. Let's play that game out and see what other books are worthy of discussion by your metric:
- The Signal and the Noise by Nate Silver: 400 courses, including 77 in mathematics
- Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking: 877 courses, including 190 in psychology
- Outliers: The Story of Success: 1,710 courses, including 173 in criminal justice and 123 in psychology

But the argument never got to the question of quality. Because Discendo Vox never actually made a point about quality. He instead argued that it was "outside the field."
And you keep ignoring the fact that presence in syllabi was only one of the things i pointed to. As if the open syllabi project was my only source. You haven't gotten to the part where it was included in the reader for the field, cited in professors' reflections on teaching in the field, that the authors were hired to teach in the field. Not to mention that google exists. We can look up the level and the context in which the books you looked up were used. But hey, if you really care, I can go back and edit my post and remove the reference to the open syllabus project. We can just focus on the part about inclusion in readers, citations about experts teaching in the field, and hiring decisions at top communications schools.

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?

joepinetree posted:

But the argument never got to the question of quality. Because Discendo Vox never actually made a point about quality. He instead argued that it was "outside the field."
And you keep ignoring the fact that presence in syllabi was only one of the things i pointed to. As if the open syllabi project was my only source. You haven't gotten to the part where it was included in the reader for the field, cited in professors' reflections on teaching in the field, that the authors were hired to teach in the field. Not to mention that google exists. We can look up the level and the context in which the books you looked up were used. But hey, if you really care, I can go back and edit my post and remove the reference to the open syllabus project. We can just focus on the part about inclusion in readers, citations about experts teaching in the field, and hiring decisions at top communications schools.

It seems to me that arguing whether the definition of 'outside the field' can include works that are a useful reference but not part of the current thinking is pedantic and not useful.

We should return to discussing the merits of MC when thinking about reading media. Actually, I'd prefer to discuss Red and Black's framework because it's right here and it looks like he's arguing it follows the same paradigm.

While I absolutely think that the you should read media thinking about the demand signal the audience they're aiming act gives them, and any other ideologies in the mix of owners, authors, editors, etc. But reading with one eye on the incentives and hermeneutics is not the same as ignoring it a priori as a pack of lies. And I am skeptical of framework that include discarding sources that don't agree with said framework.

Which means I've read Rand and The Bell Curve in order to argue cogently about it. Not that I have an open mind, but I try to understand them as more than dunking fodder.
To decide to ignore as corrupted anything written without your particular ideology is just wallowing in confirmation bias, which is not going to get you to any truth you have not already decided on.

But of course there are limits to this - I'm not going to read Camp of Saints or Gateway Pundit. Some ideologies I disagree with are more loathsome than others. And if you think all ideologies you disagree with are equally loathsome, that's another problem beyond media literacy. Or maybe that's actually the core question.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Epinephrine posted:

Looks like there are thousands of college courses that think those books are worthy of some kind of discussion!

How are they being discussed? We don't know, so we're left to just theorize and guess based on our own preconceived feelings about those books! Or, y'know, we could just admit that we don't know and that this line of argument is a dead-end we don't have the data to pursue. Instead of theorizing about the contents of college courses that none of us have ever taken, and relying on appeals to authorities we've essentially made up, why not focus on the actual arguments themselves?

Is Noam Chomsky "in the field"? I'm not sure where we're drawing the boundaries of a field that first appeared in academia when Chomsky was already in his 40s, but the writers of the whitepaper DisVox is reposting here aren't trained media criticism academics either.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Sarcastr0 posted:

It seems to me that arguing whether the definition of 'outside the field' can include works that are a useful reference but not part of the current thinking is pedantic and not useful.

We should return to discussing the merits of MC when thinking about reading media. Actually, I'd prefer to discuss Red and Black's framework because it's right here and it looks like he's arguing it follows the same paradigm.

While I absolutely think that the you should read media thinking about the demand signal the audience they're aiming act gives them, and any other ideologies in the mix of owners, authors, editors, etc. But reading with one eye on the incentives and hermeneutics is not the same as ignoring it a priori as a pack of lies. And I am skeptical of framework that include discarding sources that don't agree with said framework.

Which means I've read Rand and The Bell Curve in order to argue cogently about it. Not that I have an open mind, but I try to understand them as more than dunking fodder.
To decide to ignore as corrupted anything written without your particular ideology is just wallowing in confirmation bias, which is not going to get you to any truth you have not already decided on.

But of course there are limits to this - I'm not going to read Camp of Saints or Gateway Pundit. Some ideologies I disagree with are more loathsome than others. And if you think all ideologies you disagree with are equally loathsome, that's another problem beyond media literacy. Or maybe that's actually the core question.

I completely agree that evaluation a piece of work or an author on whether it is from the field or outside the field is pedantic and unnecessary. Especially when it comes to, to use Kuhnian terminology, a new field that is in its pre-paradigmatic stage. But there is the empirical question of whether something is in the field. And in that particular case, there can be no question that media studies people (PhDs, editors, deans of communication schools, all far more credentialed than anyone in this thread) most definitely believe that Chomsky and his work are in the field.

Main Paineframe posted:

Looks like there are thousands of college courses that think those books are worthy of some kind of discussion!

How are they being discussed? We don't know, so we're left to just theorize and guess based on our own preconceived feelings about those books! Or, y'know, we could just admit that we don't know and that this line of argument is a dead-end we don't have the data to pursue. Instead of theorizing about the contents of college courses that none of us have ever taken, and relying on appeals to authorities we've essentially made up, why not focus on the actual arguments themselves?

Is Noam Chomsky "in the field"? I'm not sure where we're drawing the boundaries of a field that first appeared in academia when Chomsky was already in his 40s, but the writers of the whitepaper DisVox is reposting here aren't trained media criticism academics either.

This is most certainly correct. And leads to nonsensical arguments that somehow the people who have PhDs in media studies are in the field, but the authors they read to get their PhDs in media studies are not.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah I don't this argument is particularly productive. Manufacturing Consent is indisputably influential and much discussed, and people disputing it need to debunk, not dismiss.

Lord of Lies
Jun 19, 2021

Red and Black posted:

A whole lot of words but zero concrete criticisms of the content of MC. You mentioned that Chomsky and Herman excluded news stories that would contradict their thesis... but offer no examples. You say the propaganda model is “unfalsifiable”... but obviously you could challenge it by finding, for example, instances where presumably “unworthy” victims are covered as much or more and with similar quality as “worthy” victims.

But that's precisely what I mean by unfalsifiable: its scope is extremely broad — literally the entire mainstream media apparatus in the West and its coverage of a plethora of topics, both domestic and foreign — and the claims it makes are quantified only in the most superficial (although extremely laborious) way. For example, the authors have measured things like the length (i.e. height in inches) of newspaper columns on each topic, while completely ignoring other factors such as the placement of each column — that's an important thing to leave out, because a seven paragraph column on page 6 is not going to have the same level of exposure to readers as a two paragraph column on the front page.

I could spend several days and dig through the book's citations like I did eight years ago and provide you with counterexamples where "unworthy" victims were in fact covered by mainstream outlets, and you would respond with "well okay, but this doesn't prove that the unworthy victims were covered as much or more and with similar quality as worthy victims!" And you would be right, because it cannot be effectively proven or disproven.

quote:

quote:
Structural factors are those such as ownership and control, dependence on other major funding sources (notably, advertisers), and mutual interests and relationships between the media and those who make the news and have the power to define it and explain what it means. The propaganda model also incorporates other closely related factors such as the ability to complain about the media’s treatment of news (that is, produce “flak”), to provide “experts” to confirm the official slant on the news, and to fix the basic principles and ideologies that are taken for granted by media personnel and the elite, but are often resisted by the general population.1 In our view, the same underlying power sources that own the media and fund them as advertisers, that serve as primary definers of the news, and that produce flak and proper-thinking experts, also play a key role in fixing basic principles and the dominant ideologies. We believe that what journalists do, what they see as newsworthy, and what they take for granted as premises of their work are frequently well explained by the incentives, pressures, and constraints incorporated into such a structural analysis.

These structural factors that dominate media operations are not all-controlling and do not always produce simple and homogeneous results. It is well recognized, and may even be said to constitute a part of an institutional critique such as we present in this volume, that the various parts of media organizations have some limited autonomy, that individual and professional values influence media work, that policy is imperfectly enforced, and that media policy itself may allow some measure of dissent and reporting that calls into question the accepted viewpoint. These considerations all work to assure some dissent and coverage of inconvenient facts.2 The beauty of the system, however, is that such dissent and inconvenient information are kept within bounds and at the margins, so that while their presence shows that the system is not monolithic, they are not large enough to interfere unduly with the domination of the official agenda.

I'm actually very glad you quoted that part, because it is a great example of how the authors try to have their cake and eat it too. They begrudgingly say that the system is not monolithic, and then immediately follow with "...but the various factors that make the system non-monolithic actually don't matter because they are kept within bounds and at the margins, since they don't interfere with the official agenda" which sounds intelligent, but is actually pretty meaningless because it is tautological and self-justifying. That's not surprising either, since the methodology Chomsky and Herman used was literally "make an observation about media bias, come up with a hypothesis that might explain it (the propaganda model), then look for and measure data points that fit that hypothesis, while rejecting the data points that do not." Anyone who has studied and practiced science knows what the problem with that approach is.

That's entirely the issue with MC having been written for a lay audience: the message that the vast majority of readers will get, and what they will "learn," is that there is this "mainstream media" entity (monolithic or not, doesn't matter for laypeople who cite it!) that is feeding the populace "propaganda" and is "manufacturing" their opinions by keeping public discourse within boundaries acceptable to "elites." It's very juicy in its conspiratorial tone (a criticism the authors themselves have acknowledged, and even pre-emptively tried to disarm by trying to describe the PM as a "guided market economy" :rolleyes:) and it is exactly why whenever MC is brought up, it is along the lines of, "oh, the New York Times is saying that? Sounds like they're manufacturing consent again :smug:"

Mid-brow dismissals like that do not constitute media literacy. Media literacy is about critically examining sources, trying to understand their actual motivations, thinking through how their messages are crafted for maximum receptiveness by their target audience, and the channels they use to disseminate the message. And the Propaganda Model is not very useful with that, because its totalizing nature and usage in popular discourse discourage such analysis by automatically assigning a propaganda/profit motive to a vast portion of media.

Red and Black posted:

As for the argument from authority meta-debate. Saying “my argument from authority is valid because my expert is a real expert” begs the question: who decides who is and isn’t an expert?

Others, especially evilweasel, have answered this more thoroughly, but my short answer is that there are many types of expertise, such as that which comes from years of deep formal study (e.g. Stephen Hawking was an expert physicist), and that which comes from years of experience (e.g. Sean Connery was an expert actor). Anyone can claim that they are an expert, and anyone who is using someone's material to support their Internet forum arguments can claim that that person is an expert on the subject at hand. In the case of Chomsky, the question is if he is an expert on media literacy, which is the topic of this thread. And the answer is a resounding no: he has no formal education in media analysis, he has not worked in media organizations and therefore has no first-hand experience as a practitioner, and Manufacturing Consent, while thoroughly researched and no doubt cited and/or covered in some college classes, is not an academic paper. It is a popular book written for laypeople and therefore has all the biases and weaknesses of such books.

Lord of Lies fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 19, 2021

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Lord of Lies posted:

Others, especially evilweasel, have answered this more thoroughly, but my short answer is that there are many types of expertise, such as that which comes from years of deep formal study (e.g. Stephen Hawking was an expert physicist), and that which comes from years of experience (e.g. Sean Connery was an expert actor). Anyone can claim that they are an expert, and anyone who is using someone's material to support their Internet forum arguments can claim that that person is an expert on the subject at hand. In the case of Chomsky, the question is if he is an expert on media literacy, which is the topic of this thread. And the answer is a resounding no: he has no formal education in media analysis, he has not worked in media organizations and therefore has no first-hand experience as a practitioner, and Manufacturing Consent, while thoroughly researched and no doubt cited and/or covered in some college classes, is not an academic paper. It is a popular book written for laypeople and therefore has all the biases and weaknesses of such books.
Lol. Edward S Herman, the lead author of manufacturing consent, taught several courses at the Annenberg School for Communication at the University of Pennsylvania. Somehow, his students are experts on the field, but he himself is not. Much like Chomsky isn't. Because they somehow didn't get a degree that didn't exist when they were in school. By your standard, pretty much no one cited in this thread is an expert in media literacy. And certainly not anyone posting in this thread. Might as well shut it down then.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 19, 2021

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

fool of sound posted:

Yeah I don't this argument is particularly productive. Manufacturing Consent is indisputably influential and much discussed, and people disputing it need to debunk, not dismiss.

I like Chomsky and broadly consider him a net positive, but he needs to be understood in light of his own blindspots and especially the big one of 'what is the appropriate level of skepticism and scrutiny to apply when something truly horrible genuinely is happening and it aligns, at least nominally, with american (or chinese/russian for that matter) interests? How do you not end up years later having to explain why you downplayed the cambodian or serbian genocides because you assumed it was being exaggerated as an american casus belli?

It's popular because it's digestible and it fills a role similar to maybe 'a people's history' in that it's useful for getting through to people who still see the world through a highschool history textbook pov. I very much haven't seen or heard chomsky's scholarship brought up earnestly in ages. MC in particular is one of those books people should read, and then they should learn the critiques of and I'm guessing that's also the context in which it finds itself on most syllabi.

Worth remembering too that it came out at a time when Americans had grown up steeped in a bunch of fantastical cold-war narratives and just ridiculously exceptionalist propaganda that was by all accounts, earnestly bought into to an extent that there's no real contemporary comparison for. Injecting some doubt into the ways people related to media was much more novel and at the time even fringe. Now you can go on substack and find 50 different flavors of skeptical counter-narratives from open conspiracy to far right to far left to pro-china to anti-Russian and everything in between. Imo the last time the media ecosystem that Chomsky wrote about was the dominant media paradigm was the early 2000s up to maybe the mid 2000s.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Lord of Lies posted:

But that's precisely what I mean by unfalsifiable: its scope is extremely broad — literally the entire mainstream media apparatus in the West and its coverage of a plethora of topics, both domestic and foreign — and the claims it makes are quantified only in the most superficial (although extremely laborious) way. For example, the authors have measured things like the length (i.e. height in inches) of newspaper columns on each topic, while completely ignoring other factors such as the placement of each column — that's an important thing to leave out, because a seven paragraph column on page 6 is not going to have the same level of exposure to readers as a two paragraph column on the front page.

Notice something about these tables, some of the first introduced in the book? They contain columns for editorial space and notably the number of articles that were on the front page. You say MC "completely ignores" article placement. In fact MC is constantly concerned with what reaches the front page and what is buried in the back of the paper. The second chapter in particular bases its analysis heavily on which stories made the front page. If you have read the book three times you must have terrible reading comprehension.

quote:

I could spend several days and dig through the book's citations like I did eight years ago and provide you with counterexamples where "unworthy" victims were in fact covered by mainstream outlets, and you would respond with "well okay, but this doesn't prove that the unworthy victims were covered as much or more and with similar quality as worthy victims!" And you would be right, because it cannot be effectively proven or disproven.

Yes, it can be. You just need to design an experiment that's based on the same statistics that Chomsky and Herman use. Column inches, number of words, number of front page articles. All of this is much easier today than it was when MC was written. You can search through news databases and automatically tally up metrics like this. Of course a single example doesn't prove anything, because the claim is that there is a systemic flaw in the media. Would you try to disprove systematic racism by pointing at individual examples, for example Barrack Obama becoming President of the United States? No, you have to look at aggregate statistics. That's not "impossible". It's just difficult because it involves real research. But that is true in any field.

quote:

I'm actually very glad you quoted that part, because it is a great example of how the authors try to have their cake and eat it too. They begrudgingly say that the system is not monolithic, and then immediately follow with "...but the various factors that make the system non-monolithic actually don't matter because they are kept within bounds and at the margins, since they don't interfere with the official agenda" which sounds intelligent, but is actually pretty meaningless because it is tautological and self-justifying.

There's nothing tautological about that statement. Nor is it self-justifying. It's a thesis statement at the outset of a book with hundreds of pages of evidence to support it. Also they're not "begrudgingly" admitting that the system is not monolithic. The system not being monolithic is key to their thesis. There doesn't need to be a monolithic entity like a state propaganda agency for there to be an official line that's followed by virtually all the media. That can be obtained through an open system of pressures, incentives, and constraints. Again, this is all front and center in their analysis, as you should know from reading the book three times.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I like Chomsky and broadly consider him a net positive, but he needs to be understood in light of his own blindspots and especially the big one of 'what is the appropriate level of skepticism and scrutiny to apply when something truly horrible genuinely is happening and it aligns, at least nominally, with american (or chinese/russian for that matter) interests? How do you not end up years later having to explain why you downplayed the cambodian or serbian genocides because you assumed it was being exaggerated as an american casus belli?

It's popular because it's digestible and it fills a role similar to maybe 'a people's history' in that it's useful for getting through to people who still see the world through a highschool history textbook pov. I very much haven't seen or heard chomsky's scholarship brought up earnestly in ages. MC in particular is one of those books people should read, and then they should learn the critiques of and I'm guessing that's also the context in which it finds itself on most syllabi.

Worth remembering too that it came out at a time when Americans had grown up steeped in a bunch of fantastical cold-war narratives and just ridiculously exceptionalist propaganda that was by all accounts, earnestly bought into to an extent that there's no real contemporary comparison for. Injecting some doubt into the ways people related to media was much more novel and at the time even fringe. Now you can go on substack and find 50 different flavors of skeptical counter-narratives from open conspiracy to far right to far left to pro-china to anti-Russian and everything in between. Imo the last time the media ecosystem that Chomsky wrote about was the dominant media paradigm was the early 2000s up to maybe the mid 2000s.

I agree with this. Manufacturing Consent is not completely useless. But it is elementary, and can be, and often is, harmful to media literacy discourse because its model reflects the authors' own blindspots, as well as the pre-existing biases of people who cite it. And that is in fact something we frequently encounter here in D&D.

I don't really have a huge objection to people invoking Chomsky's book when discussing media sources, but it's one of those things where invoking it automatically signals something about the poster's level of... let's say, sophistication? Maybe that's not the best word... what I'm trying to say is that MC is an introductory level text that is overly broad and lacks nuance, and its applicability to the modern media landscape is questionable at best. For example, the Propaganda Model tells us nothing about why a government actor might choose to leak something to Politico or Axios as opposed to, say, the New York Times. It would just dismiss such details as merely tactical in nature.

There are a plethora of other, more advanced materials on media analysis and criticism that have been provided, and those should be favored over MC, in my opinion.

Thorn Wishes Talon fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 19, 2021

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

I don't really have a huge objection to people invoking Chomsky's book when discussing media sources, but it's one of those things where invoking it automatically signals something about the poster's level of... let's say, sophistication?

This feels just re-litigating the "Out of field" discussion again, then idea that euphemistically calling someone stupid for using a widely discussed and read piece of media criticism reflects more on you than them to be honest.

If you think it's simple, talk about how it's simple, not this dance about a self evident truth.

Stormgale fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 20, 2021

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The burden is on you and the other people claiming that US media has suddenly transformed into not-propaganda post-Cold War to show that this is the case (especially in light of the fact that we have a massive instance of post-Cold War propaganda in the form of the reporting prior to the Iraq War, plus other really egregious stuff like the way Russia-gate was reported on). It should be transparently obvious that the "null hypothesis" about US media should be that it's not even remotely trustworthy on most issues. The thing you're asserting here is genuinely bizarre. The answer to questions like "who holds power" hasn't really changed in past decades, so why would something like this?

Of course, all of this is basically unnecessary, since people should be applying the same standard to all media regardless of source - you should never be blindly trusting media that doesn't provide direct evidence of its claims. This discussion is only occurring because people want an excuse to completely dismiss certain sources and emphasize the authority of other sources. They have an idea in mind of what constitutes "serious discourse," and that idea requires the use of media sources with a certain tone and/or prestige.

Also, with regard to this, what are you worried about? Because I can easily tell you what I'm worried about - the US using (frequently false) claims of "human rights abuses" in other countries as a pretext to ruin countless lives, a thing that has happened many times. But I don't understand what your concern is. That some Americans will downplay a foreign crisis, leading to....what?

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Stormgale posted:

This feels just re-litigating the "Out of field" discussion again, then idea that euphemistically calling someone stupid for using a widely discussed and read piece of media criticism reflects more on you than them to be honest.

If you think it's simple, talk about how it's simple, not this dance about a self evident truth.

First of all, I wasn't talking about "out of field", I was talking about the fact that the Propaganda Model is elementary and introductory: it has a broad scope but does not go very deep. Second of all, saying that using an elementary model to try to explain complex workings and motivations of media outlets — and using it as a hammer and seeing everything as a nail — lacks sophistication is not the same thing as calling someone stupid. It means they lack sophistication on the subject and may want to read other materials.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

First of all, I wasn't talking about "out of field", I was talking about the fact that the Propaganda Model is elementary and introductory: it has a broad scope but does not go very deep. Second of all, saying that using an elementary model to try to explain complex workings and motivations of media outlets — and using it as a hammer and seeing everything as a nail — lacks sophistication is not the same thing as calling someone stupid. It means they lack sophistication on the subject and may want to read other materials.

No I just think it's moving from one statement that you treat as self evident to a second, if you think it's simplistic say why. Otherwise yes, stating people lack sophistication is a fancy sounding way of downplaying their input to a conversation no matter how you couch it.

Stormgale fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jun 20, 2021

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

But can you really expect any model to never lead you wrong? I haven't read MC or interacted with Chomsky's writing for something like 15 years so I'll bow out of that part of the discussion. However the only examples of him being wrong that I've seen brought up are Yugoslavia and Cambodia. And without looking at the claims in detail and whether they were reasonable at the time, being wrong two times in 50 years is not particularly damning of a world view. And I have to echo Ytlaya: What is the big risk in overcaution here? The US wasn't going to cooperate with Vietnam in taking out Pol Pot, no matter what Noam Chomsky says.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I would argue that we can't really fault Chomsky for being wrong on Yugoslavia and Cambodia - given that the US has been caught - red handed (hell, that's probably even an over-generous interpretation - they've been caught elbow-deep in a tub of red paint time and time again) manufacturing reasons to go to war from whole cloth, at some point it's only to be expected to default to a position of "this is bullshit" based on the source alone. Reflexively refusing a story or narrative's credibility based on the source alone is something that happens routinely here in D&D - a common refrain I'm exposed to a lot is "if Tucker Carlson said the sky were blue, that would be enough to convince me it were green." Of course, any one of us could walk outside and just...look up and see the color of the sky, but things get a little difficult when it comes to narratives on, say, Syria. If any among us (save for Brown Moses) can afford to just drop six months of our lives and just go to Syria and report on what's going on there, we'd probably get an interesting look at how much of what we hear repeated on The Trusted Sources(tm)(bluecheck) is objective truth, how much is subjective due to experience/bias, and how much of it is just fabricated from the ether - but I'd wager that the large majority of us have neither the personal means nor the financial support of the US intelligence community to hop a trip to Syria for a Goonclusive News Report.

I don't really want to spend too much time on Chomsky because as I've alluded to earlier, I think the current iteration of Chomsky is largely outdated/irrelevant/out of touch but again I'm just a folksy, backwoods layperson with no fancy ivy league degrees that barely scraped through high school thanks to vocational school, and flunked out of New England Tech, of all the lovely, easy-to-cruise-through technical schools so I probably don't really have any business posting about largely academic stuff. :shrug:

One of the things that interests me that largely seems to go ignored is the political ethos of entertainment media. My wife and I, in a constant struggle of "there's nothing worth watching on TV" usually end up just kind of bored-watching a lot of police procedurals or real crime stuff and I'm constantly amazed at what kind of attitudes towards law enforcement, criminal justice, and the rights of the accused are normalized through shows like Law & Order or Criminal Minds. It's been a number of years since I've seen L&O, but we've seen about every episode there is of Criminal Minds. I don't think it's a stretch to say that by and large, people know that "zoom, enahance!" isn't how it really works, but I do think that there are harmful portrayals of citizens that know - and even more horrifyingly to the brave agents of the Behavioral Science Unit - invoke their rights against the police that are normalized through sympathetic police procedurals. In my (lay, of course) view, this is a natural extension of the "if you've done nothing wrong, you have nothing to hide" defense of domestic surveillance stuff like the PATRIOT act, PRISM program, etc - in much the way the if you're done nothing wrong argument comes across in our news media, "if you're innocent, you don't need to invoke your right to legal representation" is coming through in popular police procedurals like Law and Order or Criminal Minds (there's a metric ton of poo poo to unpack with NCIS too, like the normalization of foreign-embedded intelligence agents in our government and the absolutely astounding amount of extrajudicial nonsense the NCIS team members have gotten away with over the years but let's leave that off to the side).

The scene is always the investigator and the suspect in an interrogation room, and the investigator is grilling the suspect who immediately clams up with "I want to speak with my lawyer. Now." Camera cuts to the other side of the glass and two other agents are seen either congratulating themselves on getting the suspect to call his lawyer because that's an obvious sign of guilt or commiserating with each other that it just got a lot harder to prove this guy did it (a conclusion they've already drawn and are investigating from).

I'm often left wondering if - and how - the popularity of police procedurals in pop culture have impacted societal attitudes towards policing.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Lib and let die posted:

One of the things that interests me that largely seems to go ignored is the political ethos of entertainment media. My wife and I, in a constant struggle of "there's nothing worth watching on TV" usually end up just kind of bored-watching a lot of police procedurals or real crime stuff and I'm constantly amazed at what kind of attitudes towards law enforcement, criminal justice, and the rights of the accused are normalized through shows like Law & Order or Criminal Minds. It's been a number of years since I've seen L&O, but we've seen about every episode there is of Criminal Minds. I don't think it's a stretch to say that by and large, people know that "zoom, enahance!" isn't how it really works, but I do think that there are harmful portrayals of citizens that know - and even more horrifyingly to the brave agents of the Behavioral Science Unit - invoke their rights against the police that are normalized through sympathetic police procedurals. In my (lay, of course) view, this is a natural extension of the "if you've done nothing wrong, you have nothing to hide" defense of domestic surveillance stuff like the PATRIOT act, PRISM program, etc - in much the way the if you're done nothing wrong argument comes across in our news media, "if you're innocent, you don't need to invoke your right to legal representation" is coming through in popular police procedurals like Law and Order or Criminal Minds (there's a metric ton of poo poo to unpack with NCIS too, like the normalization of foreign-embedded intelligence agents in our government and the absolutely astounding amount of extrajudicial nonsense the NCIS team members have gotten away with over the years but let's leave that off to the side).

The scene is always the investigator and the suspect in an interrogation room, and the investigator is grilling the suspect who immediately clams up with "I want to speak with my lawyer. Now." Camera cuts to the other side of the glass and two other agents are seen either congratulating themselves on getting the suspect to call his lawyer because that's an obvious sign of guilt or commiserating with each other that it just got a lot harder to prove this guy did it (a conclusion they've already drawn and are investigating from).

I'm often left wondering if - and how - the popularity of police procedurals in pop culture have impacted societal attitudes towards policing.

This reminds me of a Citations Needed podcast episode:

https://citationsneeded.libsyn.com/episode-94-the-goofy-pseudoscience-copaganda-of-tv-forensics

Entertainment media and procedurals in particular absolutely do impact societal impacts toward policing, and it has been intentional:

https://twitter.com/CitationsPod/status/1268884534541631488?s=20

Of course even worse than entertainment media is local news, which is basically just a police propaganda outlet in every city.

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 20, 2021

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Lib and let die posted:

I would argue that we can't really fault Chomsky for being wrong on Yugoslavia and Cambodia - given that the US has been caught - red handed (hell, that's probably even an over-generous interpretation - they've been caught elbow-deep in a tub of red paint time and time again) manufacturing reasons to go to war from whole cloth, at some point it's only to be expected to default to a position of "this is bullshit" based on the source alone. Reflexively refusing a story or narrative's credibility based on the source alone is something that happens routinely here in D&D - a common refrain I'm exposed to a lot is "if Tucker Carlson said the sky were blue, that would be enough to convince me it were green." Of course, any one of us could walk outside and just...look up and see the color of the sky, but things get a little difficult when it comes to narratives on, say, Syria. If any among us (save for Brown Moses) can afford to just drop six months of our lives and just go to Syria and report on what's going on there, we'd probably get an interesting look at how much of what we hear repeated on The Trusted Sources(tm)(bluecheck) is objective truth, how much is subjective due to experience/bias, and how much of it is just fabricated from the ether - but I'd wager that the large majority of us have neither the personal means nor the financial support of the US intelligence community to hop a trip to Syria for a Goonclusive News Report.

I don't really want to spend too much time on Chomsky because as I've alluded to earlier, I think the current iteration of Chomsky is largely outdated/irrelevant/out of touch but again I'm just a folksy, backwoods layperson with no fancy ivy league degrees that barely scraped through high school thanks to vocational school, and flunked out of New England Tech, of all the lovely, easy-to-cruise-through technical schools so I probably don't really have any business posting about largely academic stuff. :shrug:

It’s an interesting phenomenon because it replicates the attitude of police themselves through the working out of a narrative: police are heroes and do what they must to save the day, thereby justifying the violation of the rights of others.

The sole remaining law and order series is kind of interesting now because it’s taken some weird, half-credulous steps toward acknowledging the truths of police violence and racism since the protests last summer, I’m guessing because someone threatened the producers with cancellation given the history of the show as an endless celebration of police brutality famous for a scene where a fleeing suspect falls into a trash compactor and begs for help to get back out while the main characters allow him to be crushed to death and face no consequences.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

sorry to derail, but i had a quick question on this. i thought (based on admittedly very little study of the matter) that the us government downplayed the crisis as part of their opposition to vietnamese intervention. was america playing it up as a possible casus belli before reversing that position once vietnam acted?

edit: i should clarify that i understand that the original post was in relation to chomsky's subjective view of events, not necessarily the poster's own view of those events

GhostofJohnMuir fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jun 20, 2021

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

genericnick posted:

But can you really expect any model to never lead you wrong? I haven't read MC or interacted with Chomsky's writing for something like 15 years so I'll bow out of that part of the discussion. However the only examples of him being wrong that I've seen brought up are Yugoslavia and Cambodia. And without looking at the claims in detail and whether they were reasonable at the time, being wrong two times in 50 years is not particularly damning of a world view. And I have to echo Ytlaya: What is the big risk in overcaution here? The US wasn't going to cooperate with Vietnam in taking out Pol Pot, no matter what Noam Chomsky says.

No and honestly that's why this thread is here because simply evaluating stuff on a level of does it serve a single major national narrative doesn't have much to do with the current media reality where you can find some group that is benefitting from almost any narrative, both governmental and non-governmental alike.

The danger is that you end up downplaying the injustices others are facing or end up accidentally functioning as a useful idiot for some large, lovely empire.

Lord of Lies
Jun 19, 2021

genericnick posted:

We should expect models to have explanatory power for new phenomena and prediction power for future phenomena. Furthermore, we should expect them to be falsifiable: if the model is so totalizing in nature and its building blocks so unprovable that it supports working backwards from a conclusion to justify why anything can fit it, that's not a good model.

Suppose the New York Times publishes an editorial tomorrow that says, "it is indeed time for the US to withdraw from Afghanistan." If the Propaganda Model is your "hammer", then you would see the editorial as yet another nail and say, "well obviously they are saying this, because the administration already announced they are doing it, therefore they are manufacturing consent for it through mainstream media outlets!" But if the editorial instead says, "the US should actually stay in Afghanistan because the Taliban cannot be allowed to gain power and influence" then you could also say, "the government clearly doesn't actually want to withdraw, that's why the NYT is manufacturing consent to stop and reverse the withdrawal". In other words, you could invent any reason you want as to why stuff you read on mainstream media is just state and/or corporate propaganda. There isn't a thing that the New York Times could publish that would make you go "wait a minute, the Propaganda Model didn't predict this and cannot explain it" because those things were pre-emptively identified and dismissed by Chomsky and Herman as still being within the boundaries but on the margins since they don't influence policy. That's why the model is unfalsifiable, and it's also why it's not very interesting or useful for media literacy: it doesn't grant the user any new insight or encourage them to dig deeper.

Sekhem
Feb 13, 2009

Lord of Lies posted:

There isn't a thing that the New York Times could publish that would make you go "wait a minute, the Propaganda Model didn't predict this and cannot explain it" because those things were pre-emptively identified and dismissed by Chomsky and Herman as still being within the boundaries but on the margins since they don't influence policy. That's why the model is unfalsifiable, and it's also why it's not very interesting or useful for media literacy: it doesn't grant the user any new insight or encourage them to dig deeper.
I don't see how your conclusion follows your argument at all. You seem to simply assert that whether a piece is marginal or not is simply an arbitrary distinction and not empirically tractable, but this can easily be countered with the fact that Herman and Chomsky explicitly do provide empirical metrics for relative marginality and attention. Metrics which you previously claimed to be insufficient, but Red and Black has corrected you on this that they explicitly consider a factor you claimed they were ignoring.

Given that it considers relative marginality as something you can actually track, then surely it makes falsifiable predictions obvious? For example, it would be a blow to the thesis of the book if a bulk of NY Times editorial attention was given to narratives contrary to the dominant corporate-state interest, with relatively little support of it existing in the sidelines.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Sekhem posted:

Given that it considers relative marginality as something you can actually track, then surely it makes falsifiable predictions obvious? For example, it would be a blow to the thesis of the book if a bulk of NY Times editorial attention was given to narratives contrary to the dominant corporate-state interest, with relatively little support of it existing in the sidelines.

It has been a while since I read Manufacturing Consent, but no, I don't believe that the bolded part would be a blow to the thesis of the book at all, because you wouldn't have a reliable way to prove that those new narratives the editorial attention has started to focus on are actually contrary to the dominant corporate-state interest. You could just as easily claim that it is the corporate-state interests that have evolved (e.g. the government has realized it would be a mistake to withdraw from Afghanistan, and needs to start building public support to reverse the withdrawal). Or take a more extreme example, and suppose that the NYT starts to heavily push for raising the minimum wage to $25. You could easily claim, "oh wow, corporations must be really worried about a popular uprising if they support a $25 minimum wage, and that's why the NYT has changed their tune!" and there wouldn't be a way to disprove it.

In other words, the book does not provide a way to distinguish cause and effect, because the Propaganda Model is self-justifying.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I reads more as a critique of the lack of falsifiability of the misuse of the framework tbh. When you have to jump through that many leaps to sustain the theory it's probably not actually a quality argument. Misuse of a theory isn't evidence against it.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
If there was ever evidence that no one in this thread is an actual expert, and have little to no familiarity with the actual field as it exists in academia, it's these last two pages. The initial claim of the propaganda model not being recognized by experts, followed by this latest claim that it is not falsifiable, are simply not so. Not that falsifiability should be of any major concern: the idea that the field of media studies is or should be evaluated based on some naive popperian version of positivism would be rejected out of hand by a majority of scholars in the field. So, if the interest in the topic is actually sincere, and people want to actually learn what experts think of the topic, boy do I have a treat for you!

An academic book! By actual experts on the field! Who evaluate the propaganda model empirically! Which, by its very existence, invalidates the criticism presented in the past two pages!

https://library.oapen.org/handle/20.500.12657/27541

Free! You can download it now and read it for yourself!

And just to make it clear: I don't hold the fact that no one here is an expert in the field against them. I also don't hold the fact that they may not want to read an actual academic book to post on the forums I certainly don't want to convince anyone to become a follower of Chomsky.

But these attempts to get out of having to actually discuss that work by using thought-terminating meta arguments are not only counterproductive, they are based on demonstrably false assertions. Don't want to read Chomsky? Don't! But it's obvious that what is going on here is that people are working backwards from a political position, inventing expertise that simply isn't there, and trying to avoid having to discuss the actual substance of the book. And it is clear that none of these bullshit meta arguments as to why you don't have to deal with the book are valid. So, to quote Fool of Sound:

quote:

people disputing it need to debunk, not dismiss.

Sekhem
Feb 13, 2009

In other words, the book does not provide a way to distinguish cause and effect, because the Propaganda Model is self-justifying.
It doesn't alone provide you with a means to determine cause and effect across a complicated political economy, no, but this doesn't mean it's self-justifying. You're just pointing out that it's not sufficient to simply identify epiphenomena of political causes in the media and work backwards from there, but that's not what Herman and Chomsky are doing at all. They're quite clearly interested in painstaking historical accounting and analysis of events, that their media representation is downstream from.

The propaganda model clearly doesn't say you can simply determine the facts of political reality by speculating about the causes of media representation. It uses historical, political and economic analysis of events on the ground as a benchmark against which their media representation can be assessed.

I'm not sure why this would even be a particularly unusual approach to anyone. No media analysis framework is going to give you the means alone to determine what Russia's state geopolitical interests are, for example.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Lord of Lies posted:

We should expect models to have explanatory power for new phenomena and prediction power for future phenomena. Furthermore, we should expect them to be falsifiable: if the model is so totalizing in nature and its building blocks so unprovable that it supports working backwards from a conclusion to justify why anything can fit it, that's not a good model.

Suppose the New York Times publishes an editorial tomorrow that says, "it is indeed time for the US to withdraw from Afghanistan." If the Propaganda Model is your "hammer", then you would see the editorial as yet another nail and say, "well obviously they are saying this, because the administration already announced they are doing it, therefore they are manufacturing consent for it through mainstream media outlets!" But if the editorial instead says, "the US should actually stay in Afghanistan because the Taliban cannot be allowed to gain power and influence" then you could also say, "the government clearly doesn't actually want to withdraw, that's why the NYT is manufacturing consent to stop and reverse the withdrawal". In other words, you could invent any reason you want as to why stuff you read on mainstream media is just state and/or corporate propaganda. There isn't a thing that the New York Times could publish that would make you go "wait a minute, the Propaganda Model didn't predict this and cannot explain it" because those things were pre-emptively identified and dismissed by Chomsky and Herman as still being within the boundaries but on the margins since they don't influence policy. That's why the model is unfalsifiable, and it's also why it's not very interesting or useful for media literacy: it doesn't grant the user any new insight or encourage them to dig deeper.

I don't think you should expect any model to predict the contents of any single op. Any prediction can really only ever be quantitative. My main argument against this line of reasoning would be the following: You are describing a problem that nearly every field in Social Science shares: You can't cleanly separate your observables in an experimental context. Your throwing away your model of propaganda, because you don't know if your model of the dominant state interests is accurate. But that would be true for every possible model of propaganda.
And going for the lowest hanging fruit here, but wouldn't you say that the basic concepts presented in MC would give you a prediction in the following situation: The IDF and a Russia aligned group shoot a large number of protesters in two unrelated incidents. Which of those is dominantly the "massacre" and which is "clashes"?

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

fool of sound posted:

I reads more as a critique of the lack of falsifiability of the misuse of the framework tbh. When you have to jump through that many leaps to sustain the theory it's probably not actually a quality argument. Misuse of a theory isn't evidence against it.
But perhaps a harder-to-refute example of appropriate use would be useful? The single best way to figure out what an appropriate use of the model actually looks like are to observe how the authors of the model use their own model. So, how have Herman and Chomsky used their own theories about the media to make determinations about what is true and what is false? By their own statements, what does the Propaganda Model say about the world? We can answer that question well enough:

On Srebrenica

"The Srebrenica Massacre was a Gigantic Political Fraud" https://www.globalresearch.ca/the-srebrenica-massacre-was-a-gigantic-political-fraud/5321388

quote:

A lot of those bodies were combat deaths. One of the beauties of the Western propaganda system is that all the bodies they found after July, 1995, they count as executed, even though we know very well that a large number were killed in combat.
So, I regard the Srebrenica massacre as a tremendous propaganda triumph. The West wanted to go after Serbia and they avoided peace. They needed this massacre.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckMP0UOueFY

On Cambodia

Let's just quote Wikipedia on this one, bolding mine.

quote:

In 1979, Chomsky and Herman revised Counter-Revolutionary Violence and published it with South End Press as the two-volume The Political Economy of Human Rights.[19] In this work they compared U.S. media reactions to the Cambodian genocide and the Indonesian occupation of East Timor. They argued that because Indonesia was a U.S. ally, U.S. media ignored the East Timorese situation while focusing on that in Cambodia, a U.S. enemy.[20][21] Volume II of the book The Political Economy of Human Rights, Volume II: After the Cataclysm: Postwar Indochina and the Reconstruction of Imperial Ideology (1979), which appeared after the regime had been deposed, has been described by area specialist Sophal Ear as "one of the most supportive books of the Khmer revolution" in which they "perform what amounts to a defense of the Khmer Rouge cloaked in an attack on the media".[22] In their book, Chomsky and Herman wrote: "The record of atrocities in Cambodia is substantial and often gruesome" but questioned their scale, which may have been inflated "by a factor of 100". They wrote that the evacuation of Phnom Penh "may actually have saved many lives", that the Khmer Rouge's agricultural policies reportedly produced positive results and there might have been "a significant degree of peasant support for the Khmer Rouge".[23]

On Rwanda

Enduring Lies: The Rwandan Genocide in the Propaganda System, 20 Years Later

the preface to this book, pgs 7-8 posted:

The institutionalization of the "Rwandan genocide" has been the remarkable achievement of a propaganda system systained by both public and private power, with the crucial assistance of a related cadre of intellectual enforcers.
The above book actually doubles down from the more well-known Politics and Genocide. Here's a review by Adam Jones (Research Gate: "Adam Jones is Professor of Political Science at the University of British Columbia Okanagan. Adam does research in Human Rights, Genocide Studies, Gender and I.R., and Comparative Democratization.") [bolding mine]:

pg. 346 posted:

Herman and David Peterson’s slender volume The Politics of Genocide was published in mid-2010 by Monthly Review Press – one of the longest-established and most prestigious leftist publishing houses. In the Rwanda section of their book, and in various online posts, Herman and Peterson allege that the “main-stream” depiction of events in Rwanda in 1994 “turns perpetrator and victim upside-down.” Rather than a genocidal “Hutu Power” regime massacring members of the Tutsi minority en masse (along with many oppositionist Hutus), they contend the regime was not “in control of anything” at the time of the mass killing; that the invading, Ugandan-based Rwandan Patriotic Front (RPF), led by Tutsi exiles, was “the only well-organized killing force within Rwanda in 1994”; and that therefore, “the chief responsibility for Rwandan political violence belonged to the RPF, and not to...any Hutu-related group.”

Let us be clear. In the Rwandan context, this is the equivalent of asserting that the Nazis never killed Jews in death camps – indeed, that it was really Jews who killed Germans. It is the most naked denial of the extermination of at least half a million Tutsis by agents of “Hutu Power” that I have ever read in an ostensibly scholarly source. And it relies on “evidence” that, even on cursory examination, proves to be the sheerest gossamer, when it is not simply hearsay and idle speculation – based on the declamations of “a tiny number of long-time American and Canadian genocide deniers, who gleefully drink each other’s putrid bath water,” as Gerald Caplan phrased it in a memorable critique for Pambazuka.org.

pg. 354 posted:

Like Herman and Peterson, the deniers cherry-pick a few useful factoids and declamations from serious scholarship on Rwanda (or halfway serious, like Davenport and Stam), while dismissing the vast bulk of the scholarly and human-rights literature as hopelessly corrupted by nefarious (Western/imperialist) interests. This has the additional advantage of cutting down on what would otherwise be an onerous reading list, since the literature on Rwanda is now so extensive, detailed, and utterly contrary to Herman and Peterson’s formulations.

Summary

The model allows anyone with any belief to claim that any widely-reported fact is just "Western propaganda" (because any widely-reported fact will be reported in Western media practically by definition of "widely reported") and therefore readily dismissed. In all the above cases, facts are dismissed on the grounds that the facts were reported by "Western propaganda sources" and therefore don't need to be believed, and then use that dismissal of the truth to insert their own beliefs. The use of the model to deny the most critical facts of the Rwandan genocide is particularly striking here, both for how thoroughly it rejects facts that (except for Herman and friends) are not in dispute, and how it then is used to create space to let people believe some pretty heinous poo poo. Unless you are bold enough to claim that Herman and Chomsky aren't authorities on their own model, this, genocide denial, is an appropriate use of the model.

This is a fundamental flaw in the Propaganda Model and a pretty drat good reason to toss it.

Sekhem
Feb 13, 2009

Epinephrine posted:

The model allows anyone with any belief to claim that any widely-reported fact is just "Western propaganda" (because any widely-reported fact will be reported in Western media practically by definition of "widely reported") and therefore readily dismissed. In all the above cases, facts are dismissed on the grounds that the facts were reported by "Western propaganda sources" and therefore don't need to be believed, and then use that dismissal of the truth to insert their own beliefs.
I think your argument is very unclear here, because you're purely discussing erroneous conclusions and not giving any example of methodology at all. This is simply pointing at the existence of evidently false conclusions, and simply speculating about what would have led them there based on your intuition. Which is, ironically, something close to what you're accusing them of doing.

Chomsky very notoriously got Cambodia wrong. But there's no indication that what led him to his erroneous conclusions there had nothing to do with the falsifiability of the propaganda model. His work on understanding the events of the time were an earnest attempt at tabulating available historical data and scholarly sources, even if these efforts were ultimately unsatisfactory. The evidence that Chomsky unfortunately dismissed was not media reports that he simply a priori dismissed as Western propaganda, but a scholarly account of first hand refugee testimonies which he underweighted due to a methodological concern about the reliability of first hand witness reports. Again, he was wrong to do so and it spoke to a fallibility and bias of his scholarship at the time (something nobody is free of) but the process which led to these errors has nothing to do with what you're alleging.

If anything, Chomsky is notorious for his collection of data and scholarship in accounting for events to the point of tedium. That's again not to say he is always successful at this, but that has nothing to do with the reliability of the propaganda model. Because that's simply not what the model is for - Chomsky and Herman do not use their model of propaganda as a heuristic to speculatively determine the factual basis of current events. They use their methods of political and historical analysis in order to critically assess the reality of events, and use the propaganda model to investigate in what ways the political reality (as they understand it) is presented and communicated in the media.

I don't know where your understanding of them as using the propaganda model as some kind of totalising heuristic to determine the factuality of events is coming from, because you just assert that this is how they use it without actually ever discussing or providing evidence for their flawed methodology.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Sekhem posted:

I think your argument is very unclear here, because you're purely discussing erroneous conclusions and not giving any example of methodology at all. This is simply pointing at the existence of evidently false conclusions, and simply speculating about what would have led them there based on your intuition. Which is, ironically, something close to what you're accusing them of doing.

Chomsky very notoriously got Cambodia wrong. But there's no indication that what led him to his erroneous conclusions there had nothing to do with the falsifiability of the propaganda model. His work on understanding the events of the time were an earnest attempt at tabulating available historical data and scholarly sources, even if these efforts were ultimately unsatisfactory. The evidence that Chomsky unfortunately dismissed was not media reports that he simply a priori dismissed as Western propaganda, but a scholarly account of first hand refugee testimonies which he underweighted due to a methodological concern about the reliability of first hand witness reports. Again, he was wrong to do so and it spoke to a fallibility and bias of his scholarship at the time (something nobody is free of) but the process which led to these errors has nothing to do with what you're alleging.

If anything, Chomsky is notorious for his collection of data and scholarship in accounting for events to the point of tedium. That's again not to say he is always successful at this, but that has nothing to do with the reliability of the propaganda model. Because that's simply not what the model is for - Chomsky and Herman do not use their model of propaganda as a heuristic to speculatively determine the factual basis of current events. They use their methods of political and historical analysis in order to critically assess the reality of events, and use the propaganda model to investigate in what ways the political reality (as they understand it) is presented and communicated in the media.

I don't know where your understanding of them as using the propaganda model as some kind of totalising heuristic to determine the factuality of events is coming from, because you just assert that this is how they use it without actually ever discussing or providing evidence for their flawed methodology.

I think the problem here is that the propaganda model seems to be just an analystical tool for trying to understand current events sometimes, and then it becomes a heuristic for determining factuality in others. For example, I read some of this:

joepinetree posted:

An academic book! By actual experts on the field! Who evaluate the propaganda model empirically! Which, by its very existence, invalidates the criticism presented in the past two pages!

https://library.oapen.org/handle/20.500.12657/27541

Free! You can download it now and read it for yourself!

So, as a pretty good example of this weird moving target, I thought Yigal Godler's Journalism Studies’ Systematic Pursuit of Irrelevance : How Research Emphases Sabotage Critiques of Corporate-Run News Media was very good at it. The tone of the whole article was 'well, journalists' views shouldn't matter in the PM, so it's not worthy of study', but if the PM is just an explanation of the banal point that the beliefs of corporate owners of a media color what gets published by said media entity, why bother criticizing a study that was trying to track the beliefs of journalists with the work they put out. Instead most of the article seemed to focus on criticizing any kind of research that wasn't there to 'confirm' the propaganda model.

The data in Manufacturing Consent does, I think, do a pretty good job of portraying US media output of its time as primarily operating between liberal anti-communist and conservative revanchist poles, leaning more toward the former but I don't think he really created a model that actually has much predictive power, especially given changes in media structurally. And predictive power, I think, is important in a model.

In many ways, the attempts to advance the propaganda model of media analysis feel like a rehash of Technowar, an attempt to analyze the Vietnam War through a media criticism lens, resulting in an incredibly bizarre work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekhem
Feb 13, 2009

Panzeh posted:

I think the problem here is that the propaganda model seems to be just an analystical tool for trying to understand current events sometimes, and then it becomes a heuristic for determining factuality in others.
I think I might have been unclear in that I'm not alleging that the propaganda model is intended to determine factuality under any circumstances. It fairly clearly is, but it's concerned with determining the factual basis of operations within media, rather than the events which are reported on by media. That is, it's certainly an attempt to determine the various political and economic realities at play in the operation of media enterprises, but certainly not to determine the political and economic realities at play in the invasion of East Timor or the genocide in Cambodia.

So while you might find their analysis of media operations insufficient, I don't think the example you provide shows the moving target or inconsistency you're talking about.

But you do raise genuine objections to the chapter, so I read it to see if I found your presentation accurate. I don't really find it very convincing, for example, there's an obvious counterpoint to be made here:

Panzeh posted:

but if the PM is just an explanation of the banal point that the beliefs of corporate owners of a media color what gets published by said media entity, why bother criticizing a study that was trying to track the beliefs of journalists with the work they put out.
The answer here is pretty obvious: because Patterson & Donbasch's empirical work was presented as a rejoinder to the thesis of the PM, and the authors believe that their data convincingly undermines it. This isn't merely some empirical work in the field unrelated to the debate that Godler's chapter took a hyperpartisan issue with. As far as I can tell, at no point in the chapter does Godler present any objection to empirical data gathering on individual journalist's political views. His argument is that this data will not conform to the overall bias of media enterprises, because that's better measured by an understanding of practices established by the organisational structures and incentives of systematic corporate ownership.

As that's the entire hypothesis of the propaganda model, simply accounting for the collective individual views of journalists isn't a response to its arguments - it might be useful for many other reasons, but presenting it as a convincing response to Chomsky and Herman's argument is what the chapter takes issue with.

I'd also like to add that I don't think the PM is simply saying that the views of corporate owners colour media representation, because it's also significantly concerned with the systemic organisational issues of corporate ownership and how they influence journalistic practice, something that can be entirely independent of whatever ideological beliefs an owner might have. And I don't think this is a banal point to make at all.

I also agree that predictive power of a model is important, altho we have to be careful about the fact that naive falsification is very difficult to apply in any social science due to the enormous difficulty of isolating variables. But it's simply being stated that it has low predictive power, while not really doing anything to demonstrate why you think that. Many would disagree, so I don't think it's a self-evident conclusion at all.