Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

ilmucche posted:

Huh, just realised the volleyball nations League is just like this. 12 teams always qualified, can't be relegated, 4 other teams. Different because it's a national comp, but even so..

If you’re looking at other sports for models, EuroLeague basketball is probably the closest thing. They did exactly what the ESL wanted to do and just took over the continental pro competitions from FIBA.

“wiki” posted:

Qualification
Currently, 11 out of the 18 EuroLeague places are held by licensed clubs that have long-term licenses with Euroleague Basketball, and are members of the Shareholders Executive Board.

The remaining 7 EuroLeague places are held by 5 associated clubs that have annual licences and 2 two-year wild cards. The five associated clubs are awarded through one place going to the winner of the previous season's 2nd-tier European competition, the EuroCup, with the other four places going to a combination of European national domestic league winners (ABA League, VTB United League, Basketball Bundesliga, Liga ACB).

Real and Barca are part of the 11 so it worked once for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

ilmucche posted:

Huh, just realised the volleyball nations League is just like this. 12 teams always qualified, can't be relegated, 4 other teams. Different because it's a national comp, but even so..

The Cricket World Cup is like this too. Always between the same core nations, with occasionally a Holland or Kenya being allowed to make it through to be demolished by Australia and India.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

BrigadierSensible posted:

The Cricket World Cup is like this too. Always between the same core nations, with occasionally a Holland or Kenya being allowed to make it through to be demolished by Australia and India.

Didn't Afghanistan make some noise in some sort of ICC event a few years ago?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

skaboomizzy posted:

Didn't Afghanistan make some noise in some sort of ICC event a few years ago?

They've won a couple of Test matches, but I don't think they've claimed any major scalps in a limited-overs tournament

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

BrigadierSensible posted:

Didn't they change the rules within the last few years to make it more of a closed shop? I remember something happening to make it more difficult for the likes of Ireland to qualify.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Mickolution posted:

Didn't they change the rules within the last few years to make it more of a closed shop? I remember something happening to make it more difficult for the likes of Ireland to qualify.
Yeah, they have reduced the number of teams to 10 and there is a qualifying tournament for only 2 of the spots. Of course the qualifying tournament resulted in two test nations winning (West Indies and Afghanistan). Afghanistan are obviously a new test nation with very few matches played so it's no knock against them for qualifying but the limited space in the tournament does deny any chance for the smaller nations to have a chance to dream and maybe grow their teams.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Flayer posted:

Yeah, they have reduced the number of teams to 10 and there is a qualifying tournament for only 2 of the spots. Of course the qualifying tournament resulted in two test nations winning (West Indies and Afghanistan). Afghanistan are obviously a new test nation with very few matches played so it's no knock against them for qualifying but the limited space in the tournament does deny any chance for the smaller nations to have a chance to dream and maybe grow their teams.

Was this just to ringfence the established teams or was there any other reason? Ireland seemed to be steadily improving or establishing themselves at each World Cup and then this came along and hosed them.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Mickolution posted:

Was this just to ringfence the established teams or was there any other reason? Ireland seemed to be steadily improving or establishing themselves at each World Cup and then this came along and hosed them.

Basically old lads saying that the standard outside the top x teams is shocking and they shouldn't be allowed to play

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Mickolution posted:

Pretty much. The Indian cricket board (BCCI) is shady and corrupt enough to make even Perez and his cronies look angelic, and the Australian + English cricket boards aren't much better. Since the overwhelming percentage of money in international cricket is generated by those three nations, they tend to throw their weight around an awful lot - particularly India.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ahh corruption and cronyism, the bedrock of any sporting administration.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

webmeister posted:

Pretty much. The Indian cricket board (BCCI) is shady and corrupt enough to make even Perez and his cronies look angelic, and the Australian + English cricket boards aren't much better. Since the overwhelming percentage of money in international cricket is generated by those three nations, they tend to throw their weight around an awful lot - particularly India.

Also the head of the BCCI for a while was a convicted match fixer

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Some swiss court had decided that UEFA aren’t allowed to ban the SL clubs from champion’s league so they’re all back in apparently. They based that on a spanish court decision, who I’m sure are very good friends with Perez.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Syncopated posted:

Some swiss court had decided that UEFA aren’t allowed to ban the SL clubs from champion’s league so they’re all back in apparently. They based that on a spanish court decision, who I’m sure are very good friends with Perez.

what would happen if they just did it anyways? financial penalties? some sort of license revoking?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

If you ignore the courts I assume you'd be held in contempt?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Karl Sharks posted:

what would happen if they just did it anyways? financial penalties? some sort of license revoking?

I imagine it would end up with CAS and I guess they would rule in the clubs' favour.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Why are all of these organizations tied up with the CAS anyway? I thought it was just created for Olympic disputes.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

TheRat posted:

If you ignore the courts I assume you'd be held in contempt?

yeah but what does that actually do

like would they put the leadership in jail?? that seems hilarious to me

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Crazy Ted posted:

Why are all of these organizations tied up with the CAS anyway? I thought it was just created for Olympic disputes.

It might have been created for that but their reach has been stretched to cover anything regarding sports. Seems like a good idea to be honest.

I actually wonder who pays for it to exist, like does Swiss tax money fund it? Is it a public court?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Im guessing they all accept CAS because they're all terrified of what would happen if their employment habits were actually tried in real employment court.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Presumably the governing documents of these organizations specify that all disputes will go to CAS.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

TheRat posted:

Im guessing they all accept CAS because they're all terrified of what would happen if their employment habits were actually tried in real employment court.

imo it's definitely this, they're terrified of an actual judge taking one look at EU labour laws and then asking their lawyers pointed questions about why Messi has a five-year non-compete clause instead of being able to hand in his two weeks' notice like any other employee.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Gigi Galli posted:

I actually wonder who pays for it to exist, like does Swiss tax money fund it? Is it a public court?

Wiki says it's run by the IOC, so I guess they pay for it?

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Gigi Galli posted:

It might have been created for that but their reach has been stretched to cover anything regarding sports. Seems like a good idea to be honest.

Arbitral institutions generally get initial funding from whoever established them and then function off of fees for administrative costs. CAS' schedule of costs is here: https://www.tas-cas.org/en/arbitration/arbitration-costs.html
Economically what an arbitral institution does is it provides a commercial service for dispute resolution outside of state court systems.
The biggest reasons anyone uses arbitration in general in cross-border context are confidentiality (no public court, no public hearings etc.), limited possibility for appeal (lawyer stuff, don't bother) and the international framework that allows to enforce foreign arbitral awards almost anywhere worldwide (unlike state court judgments - these are often unenforceable outside of wherever they were made). Look up the 1958 New York Convention for more on that
These reasons initially drove most sports bodies to put arbitration clauses into their statutes and eventually CAS monopolized the sports dispute resolution in general

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Alexeythegreat posted:

Arbitral institutions generally get initial funding from whoever established them and then function off of fees for administrative costs. CAS' schedule of costs is here: https://www.tas-cas.org/en/arbitration/arbitration-costs.html
Economically what an arbitral institution does is it provides a commercial service for dispute resolution outside of state court systems.
The biggest reasons anyone uses arbitration in general in cross-border context are confidentiality (no public court, no public hearings etc.), limited possibility for appeal (lawyer stuff, don't bother) and the international framework that allows to enforce foreign arbitral awards almost anywhere worldwide (unlike state court judgments - these are often unenforceable outside of wherever they were made). Look up the 1958 New York Convention for more on that
These reasons initially drove most sports bodies to put arbitration clauses into their statutes and eventually CAS monopolized the sports dispute resolution in general

Thank you for this. Seems like it's evolved in to a way to wall off the laws that affect us peons from the sports business. I do like that they can focus specifically on sporting issues because it is such a niche in the law but I see that like everything else, it's ripe for exploitation.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Laporta is talking about the Super League today, and is calling out PSG as a reason why the Super League should be allowed to exist
https://twitter.com/theMadridZone/status/1406670804612431873
While there is some truth in calling out Qatar/PSG, "they turned the head of a player we thought we had wrapped up" is pretty :ironicat: from the likes of Barca

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Wasn't Neymar from Santos to Barca one of the shadiest deals in football history

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

TheRat posted:

Wasn't Neymar from Santos to Barca one of the shadiest deals in football history

Yes. And then even lower level stunts like when Roma had announced a deal with Bordeaux for Malcom, but then he never showed up for his medical and suddenly signed for Barca the next day.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Weren't Barca sponsored by Qatar airways?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Whatever clown rear end amount Donnarumma signs for will be another great point of evidence for PSG being criminals.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

vyelkin posted:

imo it's definitely this, they're terrified of an actual judge taking one look at EU labour laws and then asking their lawyers pointed questions about why Messi has a five-year non-compete clause instead of being able to hand in his two weeks' notice like any other employee.

That already happened in 1995 and EU employment law was explicitly changed over the next few years to stop something like this happening again, to the point where specific exceptions to the Four Freedoms exist covering almost anything sports governing bodies do.

However conceptually Messi doesn't have a non-compete clause, he has an exclusivity clause, which is an important distinction. A non-compete clause says that after his contract expires with Barca he wouldn't be allowed to play elsewhere, but an exclusivity clause says that Barca are the only club he will play for *while his contract is still running*, and this is perfectly legal under EU law for any profession as long as the contract has a) a fixed period and b) clearly defined methods and compensation for either side breaking the contract. I mean I already have something like this with my current employer, where I'm required to give 3 months notice rather than the normal 2 weeks, but of course this also means they have to give me at least 3 months wages to get rid of me, hah.

Now the devil is in the details of b), and some clubs have been stupid enough not to clearly define the compensation meaning the players are able to break the contract by simply paying the statutory rate which is some proportion of the value of the contract - Arsenal fell foul of this once I'm fairly sure, but I can't remember which player it was who just bought themselves out of their contract and hosed off. I thought it was Nasri (because when I hear the words "Arsenal" and "sneaky oval office" I normally assume him) but Wiki doesn't agree and I can't be arsed looking further than that.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/juventusfcen/status/1421131943484211200

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Have they all been backed by credit agencies?

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

Have they all been backed by credit agencies?

Unsure, but they make clear that their "aim is to keep developing the Super League project in a constructive and cooperative manner, always counting on all football stakeholders: fans, players, coaches, clubs, leagues, and national and international associations."

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

I guess it could work in a sense.

Just not in the totally hamfisted way they wanted to do it.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

It's not going to work without the english/german/french teams, and there's like zero chance of those joining after the last clusterfuck.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

TheRat posted:

It's not going to work without the english/german/french teams, and there's like zero chance of those joining after the last clusterfuck.

Yeah I meant it could work but would need a total overhaul and be actually discussed before just announcing your coup essentially

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

TheRat posted:

It's pretty clear that they're not going to be allowed to take another shot at it, the penalties from the Prem are very punitive and by next time they get round to it there might even be legislative barriers (assuming Boris isn't a coward, which he is)

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

CyberPingu posted:

Yeah I meant it could work but would need a total overhaul and be actually discussed before just announcing your coup essentially

Announcing your coup via short Twitter statements on a Sunday night :lol:

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

This was the tweet that set it all off, wasn't it? I think this was the article that forced them to show their hand.

https://twitter.com/tariqpanja/status/1383768402091671568

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Yep that was it, what a week that was lmao