Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Checking the graphics options for Smooth Brutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I have now hit the painful grind phase of competitive play. AFK players, stacked teams, the works.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 15, 2021

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Shiroc posted:

When I talked to her would have been when Mattrick was still in charge. It makes sense that if Spencer likes RTS games and the amount of time that they might have had another go at it. I really liked Halo Wars and was bummed that the online population for it died so quickly. I just remember the conversation because she was so direct on that it did bad and they had no intention to revisit the idea.
I believed the thing that's really changed between then and now is the Age of Empires remasters selling like something that sells a lot, to the point of forming a 343-esque studio to oversee the franchise called World's End. That's probably where MS's RTS focus will be for the forseeable future, especially if Age of Empires 4 does well.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 15, 2021

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

SUNKOS posted:

The head of Xbox really likes RTS games so I think that was one of those "I don't care if it flops" type of things. I wouldn't rule out a Halo Wars 3 sometime or another type of spin-off such as a Halo game that plays like XCOM. They already did that successfully with Gears Tactics and over recent years Microsoft has been buying RTS/RPG developers to pad out their studios. Given Halo Infinite multiplayer seems like the foundation of something built to last and I can't see 343 rushing into another Halo singleplayer title any time soon, I imagine Microsoft will probably experiment with more Halo spin-offs in the future. A Halo Wars or Halo Tactics game doesn't seem too far fetched.

I'm guessing it's not going to be there at launch because if it was they would have shown it for all the extra hype it would cause.

It was missing from Halo 4 but they did add firefight to Halo 5 in a big update and boosted it up to 8 player co-op and used the warzone maps so things got really chaotic. I imagine it's a mode that's on their post-launch support roadmap? They probably want to get more maps out for the first year or so and then we might see it after the map list has been fleshed out? The community will keep asking until it's implemented so I think it will be coming one way or another.

Firefight is the most obvious 'launching year 2 with a big feature' thing they could possibly add at this point, so I would expect to see it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-nqMDkwpFc

Season 7 with the Elite armor customization drops next week.

I have to win 9 more competitive matches to get that loving sword and board backpack award.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
With the news about multiplayer AI chips helping you capture points I want them to add more voices over time. Give me a Sergeant Johnson AI or a Chips Dubbo AI.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Oops! All Australians!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Or a Perez AI that brings some Spanish flair.

Halo 2 Marines are the best. You've got Chips Dubbo, Johnson, Stacker, Perez, and David Cross and Michelle Rodriguez all having a blast.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 17, 2021

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Last time I played through 2 on Regret (I think) I started with Chips Dubbo and when he died I swear another Chips Dubbo was dropped off to replace him.

It made me think of the labour camp in Futurama. "its all done by a single Australian man"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Chips was so busy he was fighting on Delta Halo at the same time he was defending New Mombasa. He's either mastered the multiform technique or he's so fast he's occupying multiple spaces simultaneously.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Well he's not Chip Dubbo

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

So its like a Surgeon's General type deal?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Or Attorneys General.

He's Chips Doubled

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I wouldn't be surprised if they got some RvB themed AI

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

eonwe posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they got some RvB themed AI

Considering the sorry state of RVB at the moment, I doubt it.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I haven't checked rvb since like 2006, how are they still around

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tighclops posted:

I haven't checked rvb since like 2006, how are they still around

They're around in name only. I hadn't checked on them for years until someone mentioned it in another thread last week and what I found honestly baffled and depressed me.

Half the cast is gone because the members either left Roosterteeth or got fired (turns out Caboose's VA is a massive chud) and the latest season has a bunch of brand new Original Characters Do Not Steal running around in fully animated episodes ala RWBY battling stock assets from Unreal Engine games. It's rather shocking to see RVb develop from riffing on multiplayer tropes to a squad of edgelord OCs fighting lava monsters for an ancient power source that makes the user Invincible and godlike.

And yet despite the series being fully animated and not using the Halo game engine they still decided to animate scenes like they were using a game engine for machinima with a bunch of head bobbing and static shots. It looks terrible, the script is awful and only three characters show up, two of whom are unfunny assholes and Tucker, who has three lines in the entire series.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
That is an incredible saga.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Arcsquad12 posted:

They're around in name only. I hadn't checked on them for years until someone mentioned it in another thread last week and what I found honestly baffled and depressed me.

Half the cast is gone because the members either left Roosterteeth or got fired (turns out Caboose's VA is a massive chud) and the latest season has a bunch of brand new Original Characters Do Not Steal running around in fully animated episodes ala RWBY battling stock assets from Unreal Engine games. It's rather shocking to see RVb develop from riffing on multiplayer tropes to a squad of edgelord OCs fighting lava monsters for an ancient power source that makes the user Invincible and godlike.

And yet despite the series being fully animated and not using the Halo game engine they still decided to animate scenes like they were using a game engine for machinima with a bunch of head bobbing and static shots. It looks terrible, the script is awful and only three characters show up, two of whom are unfunny assholes and Tucker, who has three lines in the entire series.

I remember when I was at PAX like 10 years ago and went to the Roosterteeth panel because I remembered the funny Halo videos. They debuted new episodes that ended up being some fully animated, what the gently caress is happening Dragonball Z fights. I can't believe its still going and went even harder into that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
The first season was pretty good, they're local so I went to a live screening at a movie theater and some of the cast showed up.

We played halo 1 on the movie screen too.

But basically as soon as Rooster Teeth became a business and tried doing other shows it all fell apart, and seems to have only gotten worse.

RWBY could have been good but ugh, so many issues. But I guess some people like it.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
RWBY was never going to be good

RvB was good up through that season which ended on church in halo reach (?) Blood gulch repeating the events of the first season, everything after that was bad

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Horizon Burning posted:

RWBY was never going to be good

RvB was good up through that season which ended on church in halo reach (?) Blood gulch repeating the events of the first season, everything after that was bad

Honestly the Reach season was probably my least favorite because of the fully animated segments being a precursor to the crap that came in later seasons. Way too many new characters who are all underdeveloped and way too self serious in the writing department.

The first five seasons are entertaining nonsense and the three Halo 3 seasons Reconstruction Recreation and Revelation, while not as good, did have a fun joke about how the Blood Gulch crew appear completely insane in the eyes of normal people.

It just went up its own rear end by that point in only got worse going forward. I gave up on it with the first Halo 4 season which only benefited from being slightly better than the preceding season where it turned out that Church was doing a Gendo Ikari the whole time trying to resurrect his dead girlfriend and that Carolina was actually his daughter and it was super jarring going from machinima to Monty Oum animations (the guy did action well but could not animate quiet moments at all) to a loving live action video of "Tex" just being the voice actor walking around in her cosplay outfit.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

RVB really went downhill in after the Reconstruction bit. Introducing Washington was fun because yes, he is a normal and competent character mixing with the blood gulch crew which makes it fresh and funny.

Then after that arc he joins them and is somehow dumber and more worthless than them in the next arc.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I was hoping they would up the number of players for BTB in Infinite and turns out it'll be 12 vs 12. Cool beans.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I enjoyed seasons 11-13. Less anime ridiculousness then the Monty oum seasons and Felix was a fun villain.

Whoever has been doing the fight choreography since Monty died is not good though. No sense of weight or motion to the action, just high school tier stage fighting. The show needs to just die, it's not like it's the only thing holding up the company anymore.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fERrJ5oStM

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol, one of the Armor skins is a Gundam reference

Weirdly it's not the Gundam everyone actually knows so someone's nerding out over there :v:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I mean the colors kinda look like the Desthscythe?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Arcsquad12 posted:

I mean the colors kinda look like the Desthscythe?

It's referencing the Gundam Mk. 2 from Zeta - the name also references a faction and the villain from the show.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

RBA Starblade posted:

It's referencing the Gundam Mk. 2 from Zeta - the name also references a faction and the villain from the show.

Ah I see the Karaba Sirocco down in the name. Now I have no idea what the colors are referencing. It's not Deathscythe, because my brain not work good.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jun 19, 2021

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Uh no? Deathscythe was black black all over (yes even the EW colors), that thing is barely tinted dark at all and its green and blue in places, not remotely Deathscythe not sure what you're thinking.

It vaguely looks like the OG gundam scheme but not quite so I figured it was something more obscure like RBA said.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Then I'm not sure. I've definitely seen something with the black and green and red tinting.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Then I'm not sure. I've definitely seen something with the black and green and red tinting.

RBA just said it dude

RBA Starblade posted:

It's referencing the Gundam Mk. 2 from Zeta

Which like I said, reminds me of the OG

But its a bit different

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's not Deathscythe, because my brain not work good.

Hey don't sweat it. Halo doesn't let you go full 'black' so its hard to tell what colors these are supposed to be anyways.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jun 19, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I know I'm getting hung up on this. I see the Zeta Gundam reference in the name of the coating but I can't pin the color pattern to any Gundams from that particular show, but I know I've seen those colors somewhere before.

Tan, red, dark grey and grey-green, I know I've seen that suit somewhere.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Specifically it's the AEUG colors for the Gundam Mk. 2. It's just a darker gray and deeper blue on the torso basically, barely matters I just thought it was interesting they didn’t go with the OG one like everyone else

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Still harder to pin down than the obvious N7 mass effect armor pattern. And I'm still not seeing the Mk2 in that coating but that's my brain being weird.

With the new visor patterns coming like that all digital aviator pattern we could get some Gundam glowy eyes visors.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I played through Reach last night for the first time since the 360. I had forgotten so much of it but I think it is still my overall favorite of the 5 Bungie campaigns. It did stick out to me that all of the male members of Noble die heroically in some way to progress the mission (apparently 343 says 6 was absolutely a man in spite of the player choice), but Kat just gets shot in the loving head randomly.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Reach's obsession with "Noble sacrifices" (cus they're Noble Team get it) runs kind of counter to the story's sense of impending doom and hopelessness. It wants to do tragedy and also do heroic last stands and Bungie has trouble doing either particularly well so it falls onto the soundtrack to carry the emotional weight where the storytelling falls flat. I dont really feel bad for any of Noble Team because they're barely characters and as you said it's pretty suspect how the only female cast member gets an unceremonious death for ultimate tragedy right down to a loving Pièta tribute. Women dying in war is horrific and sad, you see but men die for heroic causes.

I'm sure Bungie didn't intentionally make that connection because it is rather ingrained at this point that it's a blind spot for several writers. Doesn't mean you can't call it out for being tired and out of place in your story about the last ditch, all hands on deck attempt to stop a planetary genocide.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

They should've played the grunt birthday party sound effect when that jackal nailed the headshot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well that just goes without saying.