Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Last page of Elusive Samurai is fuckin dope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Brought To You By posted:

Man am I glad I was wrong. Thank you Mashle for being there for me this dark day :allears: Just choke a mofo out

Mashle is such bullshit. :allears: I love it so much.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So basicaly Cell War here got Yosikage Kira'd in the only way this comic would do such a thing.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Candy Flurry: "The stick is also part of a lollipop!" Okay I'm sold :allears:

Witch Watch is still good.

Sakamoto is still excellent.

Blue Box still good. It's a nice and subdued manga, but I like it very much.

Mashle is still good.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I can't believe the dude's name is actually Cell War.

Also Candy Flurry continues having a bunch of lovable dorks. Just two nerds arguing about which candy is better.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Magu-chan and Witch Watch with good Father's Day issues.

Candy Flurry was right that guy's shirt sucked rear end

Mash's banner on the SJ site is great :allears:

For Cop and Dolphin's final chapter I legit thought for a second that Samejima had turned into an actual shark

Still really curious as to what's going on with Nine Dragons. I thought for sure it was gonna get cut, but maybe they don't have many other series lined up so with Cop and Dolhin making a vacancy ND gets a reprieve?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Cop & Dolphin accidentally almost hit on a fun premise: "I have three dads"

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Sakamoto is pretty chatty when he's solo, huh?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Mikl posted:

Candy Flurry: "The stick is also part of a lollipop!" Okay I'm sold :allears:

I for one still chew on the stick of my suckers/lolipops so I would agree with her.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Elfface posted:

Sakamoto is pretty chatty when he's solo, huh?

I think he’s just gotten more used to talking since all these weirdos have started barging into his life. Still kinda terse though.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Cop & Dolphin accidentally almost hit on a fun premise: "I have three dads"

for a finale it was a strong setup for a timeskip arc i would've loved to see continue. :sigh:

granted there was plenty of two dads energy across the series, it's just everything about the placement and pacing of that sea temple arc was a misfire i assume brought on by its slow failure and cancellation. if you're killing one of the dads then you really have to handle that better!!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't expect an in depth character study in some shonen manga but it'd be nice if they did more with something as rare in jump as a 30 y/o protagonist. aside from his age, there's little to differentiate kafka from his contemporaries

monster #8 is still fun and I like it but the mc is really just a vehicle for a cool monster design

The only thing that really characterizes him as an adult is his relationship with all the young recruits, where he's obviously much more mature and unfazed by stuff like "being really bad at using the suit" compared with them (and they also obviously see him as an adult). That's actually pretty noticeable, since inter-social angst stuff usually plays some role in a story like this when the protagonist is a young/teen soldier.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Yeah, Kafka being over a decade older than the rest of the cast shows a lot and I like it. Particularly in his attitude towards progress and failure. He's surrounded by a bunch of hot-blooded late-HS/early-college age kids and the author did a pretty good job of contrasting them I think- even if they do lean on everyone reminding the audience he's older over and over again.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I think this is the moment I've been anticipating in Elusive Samurai. The arc you point to and go "ah, this is when it hits its stride." It's been a steady build until now, and this is such a good chapter.

Magu-chan, as usual, was charming as heck with this father's day chapter.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I love how Magu-Chan seems to run in real time.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Fabricated posted:

Yeah, Kafka being over a decade older than the rest of the cast shows a lot and I like it. Particularly in his attitude towards progress and failure. He's surrounded by a bunch of hot-blooded late-HS/early-college age kids and the author did a pretty good job of contrasting them I think- even if they do lean on everyone reminding the audience he's older over and over again.

Yeah, I like the kind of "mature student going back to university" vibe that he has going on with his fellow recruits.

I think Witch Watch has really found its niche, great wholesome chapter this week.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I honestly didn’t like Witch Watch when it first came out as it didn’t really grab me, but I thought it was kind of charming and stuck with it. I’m glad
I did because it has easily become one of my favourites.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
After how committed Assassination Classroom was to being nonlethal (until the very end) it was weird seeing the kids straight up decapitate a dude in Elusive Samurai.

I agree it was a great chapter and it feels like it's really hitting its stride though.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jun 21, 2021

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

that panel of her swiping his head off is super good

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Mash just continues to pull out whatever ridiculous bullshit he needs.

Mash doing wild ninja poo poo of being replaced with cream puffs being a hallucination. :allears:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Sindai posted:

After how committed Assassination Classroom was to being nonlethal (until the very end) it was weird seeing the kids straight up decapitate a dude in Elusive Samurai.

Especially when they went out of their way to remind us that these kids are only 10.

What does everyone think was the thinking behind making them so young, anyway? The real Hōjō Tokiyuki's exact year of birth seems to be unknown, so surely there's some wiggle room to make him a bit older if the author wanted to.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
A guest will visit you on a hot day

The guest is to you a devil

Who will bring about disaster

Sakamoto Days is so freakin' good

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
probably that it would make things weird and uncomfortable like every other manga by matsui.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

Especially when they went out of their way to remind us that these kids are only 10.

What does everyone think was the thinking behind making them so young, anyway? The real Hōjō Tokiyuki's exact year of birth seems to be unknown, so surely there's some wiggle room to make him a bit older if the author wanted to.

Actually, on second thought, maybe there isn't much wiggle room there. According to https://www.japanese-wiki-corpus.org/person/Tokiyuki%20HOJO.html (from a site that apparently machine-translates Japanese Wikipedia articles to English using some kind of clever neural net-type thingy) his older brother was born in 1325, so he can't have been older than 10 when he entered Musashi Province in 1335. I assume he wasn't actually doing any fighting or leading at that age in real life, though; common sense would suggest that he was just Suwa's puppet until he was older.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jun 21, 2021

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

A guest will visit you on a hot day

The guest is to you a devil

Who will bring about disaster

Sakamoto Days is so freakin' good

Ook.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
God drat Heisuke's dipshit antics are really doing it for me this week.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm so glad Mashle has ascended to the front of WSJ where it belongs.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

It's hilarious how the best defense to mind reading is just thinking like a toddler with a box of crayons. At least Heisuke can pull off super cool sniper tricks.

Also how the villain guy uses invisibility to mess with his opponents is actually really creative.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Candy Flurry: The whole chapter was hilarious, I love how hurt the villain's feelings were by the MC's insults, and the reason he chose not to tell her anything was because she was mean to his fashion style / choice of snack. Very nice comedic touch, while also setting up the fact that there are people who have an idea of what actually went down that day.

Elusive Samurai: Great chapter as always, and one that really hammers in how fuckin' creepy the MC and his love of playing tag can be. Nice swerve from how confident the baddie is at the start of the chapter after being cut a single time to how terrified he is in the back half.

Sakamoto: Roboco spoke correctly.

Roboco: Fun as always, and Bondo's fate was like reading the One Piece thread during spoiler season (Wednesday to Friday before scans come out).

I should try reading Mashle too, given how people are always speaking so highly of it. Shounen Jump's got a lot of good poo poo going on at the moment, I feel.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Current ToC/rankings: https://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-809337/weekly-shonen-jump-rankings?pg=293

Skankdragon posted:

WSJ Issue #29 ToC (June 21st, 2021):
Mashle (Cover, Lead CP) (Ch. 67)
1-Blue Box (Ch. 10)
2-My Hero Academia (Ch. 317)
3-The Elusive Samurai (Ch. 21)
4-Black Clover (Ch. 296)
Dr. Stone (CP) (Ch. 201)
5-Sakamoto Days (Ch. 28)
6-Mission: Yozakura Family (Ch. 87)
Sleeping & Gang (CP, One-Shot) by Yuta Kawae
Witch Watch (CP) (Ch. 19)
7-Me & Roboco (Ch. 46)
8-Ayakashi Triangle (Ch. 49)
9-Candy Flurry (Ch. 9)
10-Undead Unluck (Ch. 68)
11-High School Family (Ch. 43)
12-Magu-Chan (Ch. 48)
13-I Tell C (Ch. 20)
14-Hard-Boiled Cop & Dolphin (Ch. 47) (End)
15- Nine Dragons' Ball Parade (Ch. 18)

Absent: One Piece, Jujutsu Kaisen

Blue Box is doing really well. Looks like Ball Parade and I Tell C are next on the chopping block.

By the way, do they ever explain why it's called I Tell C? Is it supposed to be a play on "I tell secrets"?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Silver2195 posted:

By the way, do they ever explain why it's called I Tell C? Is it supposed to be a play on "I tell secrets"?

Not really, from what I can tell. At the very least, the i is supposed to be lowercase, like the math notation for imaginary numbers.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

You should read I tell C because its very cool and I want it to live.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Sharkopath posted:

You should read I tell C because its very cool and I want it to live.

I found it moderately interesting but wound up dropping it after like 5 or so chapters. Just found the stalker shtick just a bit too grating and didn't feel like it was going anywhere.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
It just turned itself into a decent comedy.

Not revelatory or anything, but decent enough.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
i tell c just did an art thief plotline that was pretty good.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Silver2195 posted:

I haven't read the series, but if I had to say my best guess would be that it's a pun based on the Japanese phrase しいて言えば (shiiteieba) which means "If I had to say..." As in, if you were forced to give an answer right now with no further information, your best guess would be X. You'll note of course that the "shii" part is pronounced in Japanese in the same way as the letter C, so you can sort of read it as "If I tell C..."

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Elusive Samurai: Great chapter as always, and one that really hammers in how fuckin' creepy the MC and his love of playing tag can be. Nice swerve from how confident the baddie is at the start of the chapter after being cut a single time to how terrified he is in the back half.

This reminds me that they did deliver on this being an incredibly cruel technique.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Candy Flurry: I'm so happy I stuck with this. This chapter was really funny. Exactly as ZepiaEltnamOberon said and the lollypop stick was such a nice surprise.

Sakamoto days: I'm so happy I stuck with this. This chapter was exactly as Roboco predicted and I can't wait for next week. The fight was good and bloody creative, the humor was on point. I do love Heisuke.

Roboco:
:qq:

Elusive Samurai: Has been on an upward trend for a while now. I'm seconding the opinions that Elusive Samurai has found its stride. This past few chapters have been really good. It's brutal, the art style is interesting and the action is good.

dogsicle posted:

that panel of her swiping his head off is super good
So much speed and fluidity in that panel.

Mashle there was so much good about this. It's so bullshit I didn't know what to expect when he was cut in half, but I wasn't expecting this. Poor Cell War was traumatized.
I'm all for Mash making GBS threads all over these haughty bastards.

Magu chan: Continues to be sweet in just the right way, even if this was a bit cheap.

9 dragons balls: Hey, an actual chapter that didn't feel rushed. You know, I think my lack of understanding of baseball got in the way here. Because while I'm invested in the characters I have no idea what's happening to the game. They're 3 down. The ace is doing some special stealing technique despite a special throwing technique? :confused: I do like how he did the same thing Tsurugi did when faced with Ryudo's hardest ball. Just force that fucker with brute force.

Witch Watch: This was such an interesting bait and switch considering fathers day and it honestly really works. It makes both the mom and the dad seem super sympathetic. Meanwhile the antics to get there were plenty funny.

Undead Unluck: This should be interesting. Also pretty funny how Shen is no longer immune to changes.

Basically, an all round near perfect week

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Darth TNT posted:

9 dragons balls: Hey, an actual chapter that didn't feel rushed. You know, I think my lack of understanding of baseball got in the way here. Because while I'm invested in the characters I have no idea what's happening to the game. They're 3 down. The ace is doing some special stealing technique despite a special throwing technique? :confused: I do like how he did the same thing Tsurugi did when faced with Ryudo's hardest ball. Just force that fucker with brute force.

The deal with this guy on the opposing team is that he is basically a super star prospect. In high school, the ultra best players that are going to get drafted highly right into pro or go to a top college are usually so much more athletic or talented than their high school peers due to like early growth spurt or good genetics or WHATEVER ands o they're taller/faster/more powerful. They tend to play pitcher, because their arm is just better than their peers so they throw harder, as well as one of the "key positions" like Short Stop and Centerfield because they are more athletic and rangey compared to their peers. They also tend to hit at the top of the order and be very good. So you'll have a high school pitcher who throws like a 1 ERA (doesnt give up many runs) and strikes out tons of people while also batting .400-.500+ (very good in baseball and average that high doesnt happen in proball). They also play good defense.

These are kids so its all about the slight differences in strength and stuff that comes with being a prodigy. It CAN look as unstoppable as this guy. He basically throws hard and has multiple pitches. Most high schools have 1 pitch thats actually any good and maybe some others they throw which need work. Then batting wise he is really strong so he can muscle pitches out. And he is fast enough that he can steal bases. In the chapter he stole on the Dragon Ball battery because the pitcher takes too long to get rid of the ball (you can safely start running once the pitcher starts to throw) and the catcher nerd has a weak arm. The catcher, in order to stop stolen bases, would likely do stuff like call a pitch out where the pitcher very quickly throws directly to the catcher outside of the batters reach so he can throw as soon as possible to second base or call high fastballs that are easy to catch and easy to throw to 2nd. In this chapter he doesnt get a chance to do that so the guy is stealing off his weak arm + the long stride of the pitcher. In the majors, pitchers will throw over to 1st to deter stealing or try for a pick off and may go to a slide step where they dont use their full wind up and try to release the ball quickly towards home. you usually lose some speed off your fastball when you do that.

Finally, the idea of these guys who are like carrying the entire team in all facets of the game can be absurd BUT THERE IS AN ACTUAL PLAYER IN THE MAJOR LEAGUES DOING THIS RIGHT NOW. He is a japanese phenom named Shohei Ohtani and he is currently close to the top of the pitchers statistics as a starting pitcher for the Angels and on his non-pitching days he also hits and plays the outfield and is tied for the league lead in home runs. He is so loving cool. There is also a mets pitcher named Jacob de Grom who does not bat on his offdays but when he hits as a pitcher in the NL he does very well so he is currently hitting .400 in ~25 PA with more runs batted in for himself than runs GIVEN UP as a pitcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Jump's next two series are coming. Will one or both of these be a big hit, who knows.

Yūki Kawaguchi's Red Hood

quote:

The "new generation hunting fantasy" series takes place in a village where a young man meets a mysterious hunter.

Minya Hiraga's Neru: Bugei Dōgyō (Neru: Martial Arts Traveling)

quote:

The manga centers on the titular character Neru who has read a book of secrets and is a self-taught martial artist, who appears at a school for famed martial arts families, trying to get in.

Red Hood showed up as a one shot last year, and Neru showed up as limited run in the digital only version of Jump last year.