Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Any Mac users use anything other than Terminal? I've seen some fancy pants ones like https://spaceship-prompt.sh but not sure if they're worth switching to. It'd be nice to have at least color coding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

The default terminal seemed pretty good to me, but I switched to iTerm just because it's basically terminal but with pane splitting. Let's me run my watch scripts in the same terminal pane as my actual work pane, but small and off to the side so I could see any errors. Never felt like I needed much more than that.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Vincent Valentine posted:

The default terminal seemed pretty good to me, but I switched to iTerm just because it's basically terminal but with pane splitting. Let's me run my watch scripts in the same terminal pane as my actual work pane, but small and off to the side so I could see any errors. Never felt like I needed much more than that.

Hot drat, looking at the website they have a feature where you "Register a hotkey that brings iTerm2 to the foreground when you're in another application." It'd be like playing Quake and pressing tilde and having a terminal window at any time.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

There’s a terminal program in windows that does this too. It’s called quake mode in the settings and even has the slide down from the top animation

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Violator posted:

Any Mac users use anything other than Terminal? I've seen some fancy pants ones like https://spaceship-prompt.sh but not sure if they're worth switching to. It'd be nice to have at least color coding.

I’ve use iTerm for years and I love it

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I use Hyper and have no complaints but it's basically Terminal except with a few extra features

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I use iterm mainly for that quake feature and the split panes are also really nice. Tmux is too complicated for me.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Fool posted:

There’s a terminal program in windows that does this too. It’s called quake mode in the settings and even has the slide down from the top animation

The latest beta of the official Windows Terminal added this too. WT is pretty nice, it's got tabs and splitting and a bunch of features, hooks nicely into the Linux subsystem or other terms with them. They developed a new font specifically for it too.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jun 6, 2021

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I was thinking about something today, why is Figma so beloved as a design tool, but anything that tries to replicate that as a wysiwyg page builder (Webflow, divi, etc.) is so frowned upon? I get that what they produce can be bloated, but in an ideal world wouldn’t you be able to go from design to html/css or at least components without having to do everything manually?

I guess it’s just interesting to me that for visual design we’ve been in GUI land for decades, but the moment it needs to be made for a browser we’re still like “time to code it all by hand”!

I feel like if Figma wanted to them could export relatively clean markup, I wonder if that’s in their long term plans?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Is it that they're frowned upon or that they do one specific thing decently and maybe cumbersome compared to a dedicate design tool that can move easily across projects and needs?

I don't know enough about webflow or divi though to say, but I also have never used a web WYSIWYG that wasn't a pain in the rear end throughout several moments in a single page design.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Because that sort of tool will take our jobs. :v:

But past that, my admittedly limited experience with a designer handing me Webflow assets was that it was bloated code and challenging to optimize or inject our business logic into. It just sort of exports compiled assets, you know?

And just really, there have been so many attempts to better democratize the front end dev process with GUIs for decades now that I'm somewhat skeptical that a good one will ever exist. The Wix/Squarespace tools to build a brochure website have obviously developed to such a point that hobbyists are kind of losing their freelance gigs, but we can't even build React frameworks for seasoned developers that aren't filled with warts.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

fsif posted:

Because that sort of tool will take our jobs. :v:

But past that, my admittedly limited experience with a designer handing me Webflow assets was that it was bloated code and challenging to optimize or inject our business logic into. It just sort of exports compiled assets, you know?

Oh yeah, I forgot that Webflow even lets you export HTML, I always think of it as a builder + hosting platform. I can't imagine anyone using it as a design tool and then hosting it elsewhere!

fsif posted:

And just really, there have been so many attempts to better democratize the front end dev process with GUIs for decades now that I'm somewhat skeptical that a good one will ever exist. The Wix/Squarespace tools to build a brochure website have obviously developed to such a point that hobbyists are kind of losing their freelance gigs, but we can't even build React frameworks for seasoned developers that aren't filled with warts.

I guess my thought process is, if starting today Figma could export HTML as clean as your average Bootstrap site or something, would people go directly from Figma to HTML, or would it still be taboo?

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

frogbs posted:

I guess my thought process is, if starting today Figma could export HTML as clean as your average Bootstrap site or something, would people go directly from Figma to HTML, or would it still be taboo?

The answer to the more literal interpretation of the question—where Figma would export markup "as clean as your average Bootstrap site"—is that most developers would still not use it. The average Bootstrap's markup isn't particularly clean and it's a framework that's been out of favor for several years now, heh.

But to answer more towards what I assume is the spirit of the question—would developers embrace a GUI that exports well-structured, project-ready markup?—I think the answer is yes, but we're so far from something like that existing that it might as well be science fiction.

First, in order to allow a Figma-like tool to export usable markup, you'd need a sizable paradigm shift that would shoulder designers with a greater technical burden. They could no longer treat the tool like an updated Sketch; they wouldn't be able to just draw a square and add some text on top of it. They would need to be the ones designing explicitly with CSS rules like display type, flex/grid alignments, box-sizing, margins/paddings, rules for responsive sizes, etc etc. Some very well-oiled web design teams have strict design systems where they are already accounting for these factors in their drawings, but that would probably not be enough for Figma to generate the appropriate styles on its own. You would need some mechanism for the designer to tell the program that this is in fact a <div> with display: flex, flex-flow: column nowrap, with the :last-child <p> having a margin-bottom of 0.

Once all of THAT is taken care of, you're still left with the actual HTML markup. Can the designer specify a <section> tag or an <aside>? Or even that the rounded rectangle they drew is a <button>? What if they want something that visually looks like an <h1> by the design system, but will function semantically as an <h2>? They good with aria- attributes? Even if the designer works within theirselves within this new Figma and explicitly defines CSS rulesets for every shape they draw, can they (or the Figma-like tool itself in the exports) do so in a way that avoids nesting a ton of <div>s unnecessarily?

And second, Figma would need to create a way to export the markup and style assets in many different formats. If the tool just exported a bunch of HTML and CSS files, it's not going to work with the project structure of most professional developers in 2021. You'd need to account for a person using SCSS on a WordPress theme, a person using styled-components on a Nuxt site, a person using CSS modules on a Gatsby site, etc. How would you determine what markup is inserted into what template for a WordPress site? Or which pieces of the design constitute which components for React sites?

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...
Anyone can tell me how complex to set up/fragile to run reverse proxies are?

I have an old server with various legacy apps that need to keep working running under company.com/, and a new server that will host a new website(that is on a physically different server). They should resolve under a same domain URL for users(for example company.com/service/, company.com/service2/, company.com/service3/ and subdirectories will resolve to an old server, but everything else will resolve to the new server.

How hard would it be to set something like that up and keep it running?

Or should I just put the new website on the old server (running PHP 5.5.9!), but install multiple PHP versions on it(so that the new web would be PHP 7.4 and elgacy apps would continue under 5.5.9)

the heat goes wrong fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jun 15, 2021

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

the heat goes wrong posted:

Anyone can tell me how complex to set up/fragile to run reverse proxies are?

I have an old server with various legacy apps that need to keep working running under company.com/, and a new server that will host a new website(that is on a physically different server). They should resolve under a same domain URL for users(for example company.com/service/, company.com/service2/, company.com/service3/ and subdirectories will resolve to an old server, but everything else will resolve to the new server.

How hard would it be to set something like that up and keep it running?

Or should I just put the new website on the old server (running PHP 5.5.9!), but install multiple PHP versions on it(so that the new web would be PHP 7.4 and elgacy apps would continue under 5.5.9)

i've set up reverse proxies with nginx and it was pretty straightforward. they don't require a lot of care and feeding.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
The problem I always have with any attempt at "visual" coding or "coding without writing code" is that putting text into the editor is not and has never been the hard part of programming. There have been so many attempts at this and they never seem to go anywhere. The only ones that succeed are the kind that restrict the problem domain (like e-commerce or blogs).

But they'll keep trying because code looks "scary"/programmers are expensive.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

HappyHippo posted:

The problem I always have with any attempt at "visual" coding or "coding without writing code" is that putting text into the editor is not and has never been the hard part of programming. There have been so many attempts at this and they never seem to go anywhere. The only ones that succeed are the kind that restrict the problem domain (like e-commerce or blogs).

But they'll keep trying because code looks "scary"/programmers are expensive.

and most "no code" tools are SaaS or otherwise extreme vendor lock-in, subject to whatever price increases, often with a licence that forbids usage outside of the subscription, and you have no expensive programmers that work for you to tell you when you're being hosed over by a startup offering "CDN included with our editor" that's going to die in a year

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

People have been saying that we’re all going to be out of a job because of GUI web dev tools since MS Publisher and Dreamweaver 1.0 were all the hotness and it has yet to actually happen. I’m not terribly concerned.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

kedo posted:

People have been saying that we’re all going to be out of a job because of GUI web dev tools since MS Publisher and Dreamweaver 1.0 were all the hotness and it has yet to actually happen. I’m not terribly concerned.

Dreamweaver predates me and I still see sites in the last few years using those MM_menu_rollover javascript functions copy pasted around for decades

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I do miss being able to put together simple sites for local small businesses as a low stress side project, but I can't in good conscience recommend they drop $1000+ on them anymore when they can just get a Squarespace.

Also they all look so bad right now but a pizzeria isn't going to lose business because their site looks like a 14 year old made it.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I don't care how good your site looks if you can't feasibly give me a list of items and their prices on any device type possible.

Also, 100MB full-page menu PDFs that stutter while rendering on phones.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Most of the sites of local restaurants here do exactly that, but what's my alternative? Order from Applebee's?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

fsif posted:

Most of the sites of local restaurants here do exactly that, but what's my alternative? Order from Applebee's?

Bro you have an APPLEBEES? Lucky. I get all my take out from Subway.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Small businesses should put more energy in their Facebook or Nextdoor pages than a website.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

fsif posted:

I do miss being able to put together simple sites for local small businesses as a low stress side project, but I can't in good conscience recommend they drop $1000+ on them anymore when they can just get a Squarespace.

Also they all look so bad right now but a pizzeria isn't going to lose business because their site looks like a 14 year old made it.

Honestly, let kids build the websites! It's a great way to get started.

Also, in my experience small no-budget businesses are some of the highest-stress, and most difficult to get information out of (can you send me your menu? do you have a higher resolution version of your logo? what are you hours (this week)?).

The Dave posted:

Small businesses should put more energy in their Facebook or Nextdoor pages than a website.

And this!

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

frogbs posted:

Honestly, let kids build the websites! It's a great way to get started.

Also, in my experience small no-budget businesses are some of the highest-stress, and most difficult to get information out of (can you send me your menu? do you have a higher resolution version of your logo? what are you hours (this week)?).

The funny thing is that if we're not dealing with literal 5 year olds, I have an order of magnitude better experience getting a valid response for "hey do you have that in a higher res" from a kid than virtually any small business owner, which usually results in them complaining about why the 100x100 logo they stole and cropped the unpaid designer's watermark out of isn't good enough

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
Ok hold up. iOS 15 Safari now floats the navbar over the bottom of the page? It seems to collapse when you scroll, but who the hell thought it was a good idea to overlay browser chrome directly over webpage content? This is one of the dumbest design decisions I've seen, and directly interferes with the usability of webpage content and interfaces at the bottom of the viewport. 🤦‍♂️

Ima Computer
Oct 28, 2007

Stop all the downloading!

Help computer.

Anony Mouse posted:

Ok hold up. iOS 15 Safari now floats the navbar over the bottom of the page? It seems to collapse when you scroll, but who the hell thought it was a good idea to overlay browser chrome directly over webpage content? This is one of the dumbest design decisions I've seen, and directly interferes with the usability of webpage content and interfaces at the bottom of the viewport.

My tinfoil hat theory is that they're trying to force people to start using env(safe-area-inset-bottom) in their CSS.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
iOS Safari already does random things differently, including flexbox and image stretching: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/57516373/image-stretching-in-flexbox-in-safari

It really is the new IE.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

LifeLynx posted:

It really is the new IE.

gently caress you apple let me use lossy images with transparency.

Oh what's that you support WebP now but not if anyone's using a version of MacOS before the very latest, even if their Safari is updated? Double gently caress you you did it in a way that's useless.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
did apple bother to test it with sites that use bottom fixed elements? I don't suppose there's a way to test it in an Xcode beta. ugh

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
With IE, it was Microsoft trying to retain their stranglehold on everything related to what people do on a PC. "Why should we change? It's you guys who suck." It was only after years of fighting against web standards that they finally gave in. I can't tell what's Apple's deal - is it to just make web developers consider buying an iPhone because they're tired of hearing "it looks off on my phone"?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Running into a CSS/HTML issue. I've got an image that I want to rotate and translate such that only part of it shows from the upper right corner, like so:

But as you can see, it stretches the DOM rather than just getting cut off. And for the life of me, I can't remember how to fix this. What styling do I need to prevent it from resizing the document, and instead just get cut off?

Got it. I needed overflow: hidden; on the body. :downs: All's well that ends well!!!!!!!

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 17, 2021

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Pollyanna posted:

Running into a CSS/HTML issue. I've got an image that I want to rotate and translate such that only part of it shows from the upper right corner, like so:

But as you can see, it stretches the DOM rather than just getting cut off. And for the life of me, I can't remember how to fix this. What styling do I need to prevent it from resizing the document, and instead just get cut off?

Got it. I needed overflow: hidden; on the body. :downs: All's well that ends well!!!!!!!

Glad you got it sorted and thank you for actually typing out what worked. I absolutely loathe posts like:

A JERK posted:

Hey, having trouble doing X and Y....

EDIT: Nevermind, figured it out.

WELL TELL US WHAT IT WAS SO WE CAN LEARN :argh:

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

LifeLynx posted:

With IE, it was Microsoft trying to retain their stranglehold on everything related to what people do on a PC. "Why should we change? It's you guys who suck." It was only after years of fighting against web standards that they finally gave in. I can't tell what's Apple's deal - is it to just make web developers consider buying an iPhone because they're tired of hearing "it looks off on my phone"?

It's to make developers go "well I guess I should pay Apple money to build an iOS app instead" :ssh:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Can I do headers that repeat each page after a page break when using CSS grids? This is for generating printable reports. Or don't I get around regular old tables?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Client: "Hey so for this restaurant site, could we make it so the Reservation button changes shape when you hover over it? Like on this site https://www.hellomonday.com"

:suicide:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Data Graham posted:

Client: "Hey so for this restaurant site, could we make it so the Reservation button changes shape when you hover over it? Like on this site https://www.hellomonday.com"

:suicide:

of course!
that'll be [way too much]!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Why don't we just steal the signature UI effect from a company whose literal line of business is developing cool bespoke UI effects

These are the same client who back when Youtube made their site do the Harlem Shake called a meeting and said "hey can we make our site do that too?? :haw:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

I have a site, mysite.com set up on some server with a letsencrypt certificate, and a copy running on Azure, mysite.azurewebsites.net. I'd like to shut down the first server and then use Azure's custom domain feature to use the original mysite.com domain. Do I just need to revoke the first certificate and then transfer the domain? Or do something else to prove I'm not some domain hijacker?

Some downtime is acceptable but obviously I'd like to avoid trapping people with invalid certs.