Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Last Celebration posted:

Route C spoilers: wow, that new ending to the Shipwreck. It’s funny how the “good” version just leaves me kinda empty and I almost wanna cry now. That boss fight was some real Automata poo poo though, couldn’t help getting kinda hype.

lol that they put a time attack trophy behind a boss fight that changes significantly every route, like I guess I can always reload and mash through the cutscenes but still.

Once you’re in the last version of that boss fight the time limit is trivial, fwiw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Gonna do ending e

So far I feel that baby nier is a better narrative character than papa nier, it also makes a few scenes in the original look more right especially when nier yells at Kaine that they are friends! Friends live for each other!, Emil saying he wants to see nier again at the end and the awkward kiss/no kiss bits. The sense of desperation also looks better when it's a child especially the intro sequence. I also appreciate they made Emil's dialogue before the facade wedding more gay and in love with nier than the original papa nier version.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Most of the game is a lot more gay now in general

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Gonna do ending e

So far I feel that baby nier is a better narrative character than papa nier, it also makes a few scenes in the original look more right especially when nier yells at Kaine that they are friends! Friends live for each other!, Emil saying he wants to see nier again at the end and the awkward kiss/no kiss bits. The sense of desperation also looks better when it's a child especially the intro sequence. I also appreciate they made Emil's dialogue before the facade wedding more gay and in love with nier than the original papa nier version.

Yeah that’s been my take too, like I’m sure Jamison Price did a phenomenal job as far as acting Father Nier goes but there’s been a lot of spots where having Brother Nier was always the intention and anything else would seem jank, from the obvious bits like being able to use giant anime swords and lances post-timeskip to (Ending B spoilers) the ending with Young Shadowlord huddled in a ball bawling because his millennia-spanning quest ended in total failure doesn’t seem like it would hit quite as hard if it wasn’t a kid.

Also the dynamic of a young adult and seemingly stock JRPG protagonistbeing as hostile and vitriolic as he is towards Shades and anything associated with shades, regardless of whether or not they act like thinking, passive creatures is kinda uniquely creepy in way an adult protagonist wouldn’t be but that could just be how good his VO is.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

gently caress lol I saw the massive flower emerging and thought "no don't make me do the drakengard 1 and 3 ending e gently caress noooooo!!!" and then the credits rolled thank God lmao

Game good

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Do the time attack trophies only consider the fight finished when the cutscenes after are done? I just figured the game checked the time taken and gave you the trophy if you met it after you did all the cutscenes since, you know, that would actually make sense, but I’m pretty sure I beat (Route C/D spoilers)final Popula/Devola in well under the needed time of three and a half but only skipped through some of the post-dialogue (I already got Ending C and I’m just gunning for D now).

That umm, really really loving sucks that they take the post-cutscene dialogue into account, but I guess it explains how I don’t have all the trophies post-timeskip after turbokilling most of the bosses.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

p sure all the timed boss achievements include all in-game cutscenes and dialogue so if you're mashing through and still not getting it, consider chugging a STR potion

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It kinda says a lot that HOLY gently caress SPOILERSeven knowing that there’s a way to get one of your saves back the whole sequence of seeing your stuff deleted, gradually getting slower over time, was still pretty harrowing to watch. Like yeah technically Automata does the same thing but it’s a much different feel. And wow, it almost feels cruel leaving Kaińe behind and erasing Nier’s existence. “Something precious”...

I also appreciate the effort of taking the Protagonist out of the credits. On to one last round of rehashed bull crap!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Yeah one of the big things I appreciate about ending e is returning agency to Kaine and also giving her a whole new arc to her character growth. When she shouted abuse at nier for doing a "heroic sacrifice" that left her and everyone behind I was going, hell yeah tell that doofus lol. It's also interesting to put the nier r ending d in parallel with drakengard ending d, the latter where seer convinced himself that he was the hero in a fable his mom told him and thus he needed to go and save the world, yet gently caress over almost every named person in the game (other than verdelet for some gd reason) and the world didn't appear to be better off, leaving us with the title card "dreams of a deluded child".

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Last Celebration posted:

Do the time attack trophies only consider the fight finished when the cutscenes after are done? I just figured the game checked the time taken and gave you the trophy if you met it after you did all the cutscenes since, you know, that would actually make sense, but I’m pretty sure I beat (Route C/D spoilers)final Popula/Devola in well under the needed time of three and a half but only skipped through some of the post-dialogue (I already got Ending C and I’m just gunning for D now).

That umm, really really loving sucks that they take the post-cutscene dialogue into account, but I guess it explains how I don’t have all the trophies post-timeskip after turbokilling most of the bosses.

You’re gonna be v mad because the timer for that particular fight starts the moment you enter the room, so the subtitled dialogue counts. Also, it ends only when you get control of Nier back so after the cutscenes AND the new Emil textplay

e: with what I’d humbly describe as optimal play, I got 3:40 between the two. Load times don’t count though. Start mashing!

goblin week fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jun 21, 2021

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

goblin week posted:

You’re gonna be v mad because the timer for that particular fight starts the moment you enter the room, so the subtitled dialogue counts. Also, it ends only when you get control of Nier back so after the cutscenes AND the new Emil textplay

e: with what I’d humbly describe as optimal play, I got 3:40 between the two. Load times don’t count though. Start mashing!

Lol, that’s vintage Cavia mean spirited jank, I can’t even be mad at that point it’s just too fuckin funny.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Route E spoilersgently caress YEAH TOP BOY EMIL COMIBG OUT OF NOWHERE WITH THE CLUTCH SAVE

Edit: that was sure a great trip. Got to unerase my Nier from existence, that’s real neat. Going through an entire dungeon where AIs lecture you about how the Gestalts are going berserk because of what fuckups we are is...kinda sobering though. At least I got a super OP sword that I’ll never use! And the cast said bye to me, which is actually pretty nice, I can’t imagine how good it felt to hear that from the guys who were playing the original Nier when the original sendoff was Route D.

Last Celebration fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jun 21, 2021

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
https://mobile.twitter.com/NieRGame/status/1407266636323864577

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Wow, that's not bad for Replicant, and absurd for Automata. A lot of pretty big game franchises never have gotten close to six million.

(Also, near done with Replicant, probably not going for plat, and I have to admit, the repetition is getting to me. Especially with the talking segments of the boss fights.)

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
These numbers must guarantee a next project right?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

LorneReams posted:

Depends on if Yoko Taro feels like getting up early.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

LorneReams posted:

I think so, I saw rumors around the time the remake came out that there was already hiring going on for it. But it's probably going to be with either the remake team or some new random contract studio since platinum is tied up with the tower of babel game, so uhhh quality may not be guaranteed

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Give us Drakengard Remastered.

Wanna play it on switch.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

No Mods No Masters posted:

I think so, I saw rumors around the time the remake came out that there was already hiring going on for it. But it's probably going to be with either the remake team or some new random contract studio since platinum is tied up with the tower of babel game, so uhhh quality may not be guaranteed

The remake was good, so if whatever the new game turns out to be is even just as good as that, i'm happy

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I'm really glad this weird rear end series is doing so well. I love it

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I'm really glad this weird rear end series is doing so well. I love it

I read this rear end "weird rear end-series" and not "weird-rear end series". I just wanted to let you know. Please do not elaborate :tipshat:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

beep by grandpa posted:

I read this rear end "weird rear end-series" and not "weird-rear end series". I just wanted to let you know. Please do not elaborate :tipshat:

I mean Yoko Taro does seem to love asses

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

2bass fishing game

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Just caught this had been released through Steam sale. I don't know if I have it in me to play through it but anyone know if The Dark Id is going to do a let's play?!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Levin posted:

Just caught this had been released through Steam sale. I don't know if I have it in me to play through it but anyone know if The Dark Id is going to do a let's play?!

You should play it

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

You should play it

it's extremely good yeah. it even has a super easy automated mode where the game plays itself during battles so you can just experience the story etc if that's the thing holding you back

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Play the sad game

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

It's worth playing even if I read went through all of The Dark Id's LP on the original Nier and played Automata? That sounded like a nightmare that I think I found far more entertaining as a bystander watching the insanity unfold.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I mean you're in the thread for fans of the game, what do you think we're going to tell you?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Omfg you're a grown-up; if you want to play it, play it! What are you asking us for

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Levin posted:

It's worth playing even if I read went through all of The Dark Id's LP on the original Nier and played Automata? That sounded like a nightmare that I think I found far more entertaining as a bystander watching the insanity unfold.

Nier is a game worth experiencing, warts and all, plus, you know, theres a difference between reading an LP about a dumbshit kid and his merry band of mass murderers loving up the planet and actually engaging in it. Plus, you know, there’s new poo poo for us Automata-come-latelies

But yeah my dude, you’re an adult, if you don’t think the remaster of a cool jank game is worth experiencing for yourself wait for a sale or something.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
also the LP looks like poo poo in the year of our lord 2021 and the game’s nice and crisp

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Levin posted:

I bought the original Nier because of that LP, and then platinumed (legit) Automata when it came out. I consider the original Nier one of my favorite games of all time. I say all that to tell you that the Nier Remake is absolutely worth playing through. there's new content, and the new ending ties the OG Nier into Automata much more strongly than the original ever did. The remake's combat is not as smooth as Automata's, but it's still good. And I think Nier's story is stronger than Automata's, but I've seen a lot of back and forth on that front.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Don't experience Nier entirely through someone else's bad jokes.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Soysaucebeast posted:

I bought the original Nier because of that LP, and then platinumed (legit) Automata when it came out. I consider the original Nier one of my favorite games of all time. I say all that to tell you that the Nier Remake is absolutely worth playing through. there's new content, and the new ending ties the OG Nier into Automata much more strongly than the original ever did. The remake's combat is not as smooth as Automata's, but it's still good. And I think Nier's story is stronger than Automata's, but I've seen a lot of back and forth on that front.

I feel like Replicant’s story is better but Automata as an overall experience feels more…cohesive? Like in Replicant the side quests are like 75% “hey can you do some tedious chores for me” and the reward is Weiss and occasionally Kaine grousing about doing tedious chores and some of them have actual story relevance or are neat in other ways like the lighthouse lady stuff. Whereas Automata’s almost all feel worthwhile cause they’re genuinely amusing like the Father Servo/carnival ticket stuff, feel relevant cause it’s “show don’t tell” storytelling, or actually startlingly relevant, like how the Jackass time attack missions are pretty relevant to “you’re thinking about how much you want to **** 2B”.

Basically how I see it is that Replicant is Earthbound; a clunky JRPG that feels out of its time relative to release but is worthwhile for its narrative, and Automate is Mother 3, which is staggering in how much better it is, but whether or not Replicant/Automata is the better experience is subjective and depends on your taste, if that makes sense.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jun 27, 2021

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean if you saw the LP you saw the game, there isn’t any real difference. The gameplay is pretty meh so whether you should get it depends on how much you need to experience things yourself

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean if you saw the LP you saw the game, there isn’t any real difference.

:/

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

You've read the plot synopsis, that's just like playing the game, right?

If you're interested enough to ask just do it. I read the LP, but it's a very different experience to play the game directly. The remake also has:
-better graphics
-new cutscenes and content not in the original
-you play as brother Nier instead of Dad
-you get to experience boar-drifting first hand!

If you don't get why playing the game yourself is different from reading a screenshot LP please go outside today and try to figure out why that's different from reading about it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Hey I’m the only one that is willing to tell him the truth.

I’ve done both and there really isn’t a difference

If people want to get mad at that I’m okay with that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Last Celebration posted:

I feel like Replicant’s story is better but Automata as an overall experience feels more…cohesive? Like in Replicant the side quests are like 75% “hey can you do some tedious chores for me” and the reward is Weiss and occasionally Kaine grousing about doing tedious chores and some of them have actual story relevance or are neat in other ways like the lighthouse lady stuff. Whereas Automata’s almost all feel worthwhile cause they’re genuinely amusing like the Father Servo/carnival ticket stuff, feel relevant cause it’s “show don’t tell” storytelling, or actually startlingly relevant, like how the Jackass time attack missions are pretty relevant to “you’re thinking about how much you want to **** 2B”.

Basically how I see it is that Replicant is Earthbound; a clunky JRPG that feels out of its time relative to release but is worthwhile for its narrative, and Automate is Mother 3, which is staggering in how much better it is, but whether or not Replicant/Automata is the better experience is subjective and depends on your taste, if that makes sense.

While I 100% agree with everything you wrote here, I've always been partial to character driven stories than thematic ones. And while the characterization in Automata is definitely there and strong, I don't think I've latched on to any of them as much as I have Kaine, Weiss and Emil. Those three lovable idiots made such an impression on me, and they really elevated the story they were in. 9S is up there too (I still get chills at his breakdown), but I never felt too strongly about 2B and A2. Heck, I forget what A2's whole deal was sometimes and that never happened with the original cast.

But again, which you like better really comes down to what sort of stories you like better, and I just happen to like the type of story Nier is more than Automata. Neither one is bad, and I really think it's perfectly fine to prefer Automata to Nier. It's all a matter of personal preference, and I really do enjoy what the did with Automata. I just like Kaine, Weiss, and Emil more.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Hey I’m the only one that is willing to tell him the truth.

I’ve done both and there really isn’t a difference

If people want to get mad at that I’m okay with that

I think there is a difference in watching an LP vs playing for Nier. When you play it and get to the point where you understand what the shades are saying, you feel culpable for killing all these essentially peaceful creatures. It's a real Shadow of the Colossus moment. Reading a LP get you to understand what happened, but you're a layer removed from it, and don't get that "This is on my head" feeling you get while playing. Maybe that's just me getting too info the game, but having read the LP and played the game, I think playing it is the better experience (and absolutely worth it, if you can afford to buy it).

Edit: I've tried to get my spoiler tags working for like three edits now and they show up in the edit window but not my post. I have no idea what's going on there.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 27, 2021