Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

DelphiAegis posted:

Okay, I'll ask: What's a WOW in this context?

Already answered but here is what we have in my hospital

After a few months they look like the nurses play destruction derby with them.

We have no idea what happens during the night shift, but they get broken in strange and interesting ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

mattfl posted:

We have no idea what happens during the night shift, but they get broken in strange and interesting ways.

Dare you to stick a dashcam on one and see what adventures it goes on.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

You’ll mostly watch middle aged nurses shitpost on facebook tbh

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/SimpsonsOps/status/1405850798827851785

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
They get ridden like skateboards while in use

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Stupid question, is there a way to make sure that a Logitech slide clicker will advance a slide whether or not PowerPoint has focus? Sometimes I have to twiddle with Zoom during a company meeting and then the clicker won't work until I click back into PP, which then adds one extra advance annoyingly. Seems like the clicker just sends Left Arrow / Right Arrow keystrokes but maybe there's some kind of logitech driver or PP setting that will send a true "slide forward" command?

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

Stupid question, is there a way to make sure that a Logitech slide clicker will advance a slide whether or not PowerPoint has focus? Sometimes I have to twiddle with Zoom during a company meeting and then the clicker won't work until I click back into PP, which then adds one extra advance annoyingly. Seems like the clicker just sends Left Arrow / Right Arrow keystrokes but maybe there's some kind of logitech driver or PP setting that will send a true "slide forward" command?

Hmm gonna need to escalate this one

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Biowarfare posted:

That would explain a lot of the breaks we get down by the wheels lol

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Biowarfare posted:

the nurses?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

DelphiAegis posted:

I wouldn't see that as embarrassing at all! You're high up enough in the food chain here that the nitty-gritty details are not what is truly what you're paid for, it's the organizing/running the CTF competition level stuff. That's still awesome!

Okay, I'll ask: What's a WOW in this context?

Workstation on wheels.

Hugh got it. To add the requisite cynical joke, the drawers are usually either empty, or have someone's breakfast in it. I've found someone's Raisin Bran bowl in one once :v:

They're typically either a mini desktop or thin client in the compartment under the desk, or an all in one mounted on the VESA bracket. At my last hospital people kept breaking the USB ports because you could still reach inside, so they would do that to plug in their phones or by scraping it against the wall. One time someone got a wheel out and it was just standing there on 3 legs ready to tip over. I have no idea how or why they did that. At my new place they tend to treat this stuff way better.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Evilcorp has sent me two surface pro's. I was working out of an azure VDI for months. I reach out to my desktop folks, asking for the serial of the laptop assigned to me, technically its neither of these surface pros. We updated it to one of the ones they sent me.

How long do I keep this extra surface pro on ice until I just say "sucks for you guys" and just do what I want with it?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Sickening posted:

Evilcorp has sent me two surface pro's. I was working out of an azure VDI for months. I reach out to my desktop folks, asking for the serial of the laptop assigned to me, technically its neither of these surface pros. We updated it to one of the ones they sent me.

How long do I keep this extra surface pro on ice until I just say "sucks for you guys" and just do what I want with it?

A month after your employment with them ends is my normal rule for this.

This has happened basically everywhere I’ve worked at one point or another.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I have changed jobs with 10s of thousands of dollars (at the time) single mode 10G and 100G optics. No one ever chased them down. Always thought that was cool/weird. Should have just grey marketed them, now they sit in a junk cube in the basement.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Just got a call back from a company, they're a client of mine at my MSP, their senior admin has really been pushing their IT Director/VP of Ops to get things moving.

Anyway, I gave them my salary ask (120k) and they countered with all they can afford in their budget right now is 80k.

Yeah, no, not taking a pay cut even though I'd love to get out of MSP space, call me when your budget gets bumped up.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

40k less, what did they think you were gonna say.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

GreenNight posted:

40k less, what did they think you were gonna say.

The internal recruiter honestly sounded embarrassed to be offering it to me and said she knew it was more of a formality; it sounds like they offered what they could but knew I would reject it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The 80k systems admin role is everywhere these days when checking out linkedin.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah that’s basically me.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I don’t even get out of bed for less than 100k.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Sickening posted:

The 80k systems admin role is everywhere these days when checking out linkedin.

Yeah I mean I would argue this job is worth way more than that because it's like 75% travel, plus they need a ton of automation stuff done, azure/O365, they're standing up new datacenters that need total builds etc

plus this

jaegerx posted:

I don’t even get out of bed for less than 100k.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
We have the opposite problem compared to the last couple of pages regarding IT security. We jump through all the hoops (and I mean all of them) - We as a technical team are happy to do this and it makes sense given where we work.

But now we are losing bids because our client (the government) tell us we are not innovative enough. When we ask to innovate we are told "cant do that, gotta be secure" - It's not like we are being dumb, we are saying 'hey can we implement X if we do Y and Z to mitigate the risks' but we just get shutdown by $Boss at every turn - yet our competitors are finding a way, the story we are told is they are cowboys taking risks at every turn. ((Obviously I'm paraphrasing somewhat...)

It's principles such as this that make me think I'm at the point where I've taken this role as far as I can and I dont accept the status quo any more - I can do better elsewhere when the shackles are off. My eyes are on the market but I'm not in a super rush to leave - this is a very secure gig whilst we emerge from the end of Covid I suppose.

It's an odd situation

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Well, security and usability are constantly at war. The most secure system is one nobody can access, after all.

It's possible the companies you're losing bids to are doing insecure work and it's possible they'll get away with it, but is that necessarily how you want to work?

In any case, do you profit if the company you work for wins bids? If not, don't worry about it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

To be fair , having the government tell you that you are not being innovative enough is pretty vague. Your issue is probably more on the sales side and/or on the side where you aren’t bribing the right people.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Is the narrative of your competitors being reckless cowboys something that $Boss is pushing? Because from the sound of it, their definition of reckless includes implementing X while mitigating with Y and Z. Maybe that's exactly what the competitor is doing and why they are winning.

I've heard lots of cautionary tales and anecdotes over the years about how incompetent our competitor was despite their continued success and growing market share. Now all I can think is, if that's how bad they are and they're still winning, what does that say about us?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Sickening posted:

To be fair , having the government tell you that you are not being innovative enough is pretty vague. Your issue is probably more on the sales side and/or on the side where you aren’t bribing the right people.

If you're doing us federal work it's this. Your sales dudes aren't doing enough or your competitors sales dudes are just better. Atleast at the DoD a lot of contracts are based around schmoozing with various officers and higher level enlisted.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Gort posted:

Well, security and usability are constantly at war. The most secure system is one nobody can access, after all.

It's possible the companies you're losing bids to are doing insecure work and it's possible they'll get away with it, but is that necessarily how you want to work?

In any case, do you profit if the company you work for wins bids? If not, don't worry about it.

Sickening posted:

One example would be that we as a company have not managed to deploy wifi in a secure way, even though in this country there is guidance published by the government that if we follow, they will accept. For ~some reason~ in this company, security is beating usability.

I am sure there are example of our competitors cutting corners, I have no doubt and no I would not like to work in that way but this isn't as black and white as secure or insecure to me, for me it's about if the company would accept a small amount of risk - e.g. have wifi = bigger attack surface, mitigate by following gov. guidance. (to very quickly surmise) there is a million more things we could actually do.

I know there are masses of additional complications like 'we dont have the money to invest in wifi infrastructure right now' especially in a pandemic, but this issue isn't a new issue for us and all our competitors have overcome such hurdles - we are just behind but more problematic - we are in this position and there is no drive from IT to fix it, we are happy to have a difficult to use set of systems because it's less work than introducing new stuff.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you've not figured out how to deploy Wi-Fi then I wouldn't want to buy any sort of technology solution from you either.

Taking all the security concerns to the extreme you could deploy on a totally physically separate network, on a dedicated internet service that goes nowhere near your other firewalls, enable client isolation on the network and treat every Wi-Fi client like an external device and enforce whatever constraints you enforce on external devices.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 21, 2021

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

mattfl posted:

fuckin hate these thing

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

bus hustler posted:

fuckin hate these thing

I just setup and deployed 85 new ones in our new tower and suddenly we're switching to a completely different vendor to replace aging ones in our current tower. So now I'll get to support like 5 different models of WOWs in our stupid hospital.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

mattfl posted:

I just setup and deployed 85 new ones in our new tower and suddenly we're switching to a completely different vendor to replace aging ones in our current tower. So now I'll get to support like 5 different models of WOWs in our stupid hospital.

My last job was a dental school with 80 chairs across 3 sites and every. loving. thing. just lived on these because they kept adding devices and complication without any space. "just stick it on a cart!!!" was their loving mantra.

$90,000 digital scanners sitting on carts falling off when the residents slam them all over

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

How would you go about getting some basic logging for a Wireguard VPN? I just set one up for my company (bout 15 employees) and the pres wants some level of activity logging so we can get some optics on what people are using it for.

tcpdump is okay but they want something VISUAL.

I'm actually somewhat tempted to just install pihole so we at least get a list of domains that are being accessed

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Nobody Interesting posted:

How would you go about getting some basic logging for a Wireguard VPN? I just set one up for my company (bout 15 employees) and the pres wants some level of activity logging so we can get some optics on what people are using it for.

tcpdump is okay but they want something VISUAL.

I'm actually somewhat tempted to just install pihole so we at least get a list of domains that are being accessed

Why are you using wireguard in a production environment? That protocol is basically a tech demo at best right now.

Yes, it's really fast. No it is not ready for primetime.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

MustardFacial posted:

Why are you using wireguard in a production environment? That protocol is basically a tech demo at best right now.

Wow, how’d you manage to post from two years ago?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Using Wireguard, obviously. It's that fast.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

MustardFacial posted:

I've been pushing hundreds of thousands of connections and 2-3 digit gbps over wireguard for the last year (with no failures, over the internet, between managed and unmanaged endpoints). The only reason ever that you would not be using it is if you have regulatory requirements demanding you use some IPSEC vendor-slightly-varying implementation or similar

If anything it's been much less terrible than PPTP and old-cipher OpenVPN

Nobody Interesting posted:

Pihole is notoriously insecure. Can you send netflow/sflow data from your presumably linux endpoint or just sniff the SNI header / Host header on web traffic?

https://github.com/robcowart/elastiflow is F/OSS and does nice srcdst/protocol/ASN reports

Impotence fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 21, 2021

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Sepist posted:

I have changed jobs with 10s of thousands of dollars (at the time) single mode 10G and 100G optics. No one ever chased them down. Always thought that was cool/weird. Should have just grey marketed them, now they sit in a junk cube in the basement.

A long time ago when EWDM optics were relatively new we got a shipment of 10g ones and they came in just a standard, non-descript Cisco box like the ones that carry 4g WICs etc. The sort of box you could easily lose in even a small storage closet.

except the contents of the box was worth nearly 800k AUD

We ended up reorganizing our store specifically so we didn't lose them (or anything else like 'em)

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Biowarfare posted:

Pihole is notoriously insecure. Can you send netflow/sflow data from your presumably linux endpoint or just sniff the SNI header / Host header on web traffic?

https://github.com/robcowart/elastiflow is F/OSS and does nice srcdst/protocol/ASN reports

Ok, I'm curious. I have pihole installed on my home network for its adblocking capabilities. What's insecure about it? Is there anything better? I had before pihole a dnsmasq config file generated from some lists from the internet, which is pretty much what pihole does, except better than my hand-made solution.What should one use for general adblocking on a small network?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Volguus posted:

Ok, I'm curious. I have pihole installed on my home network for its adblocking capabilities. What's insecure about it? Is there anything better? I had before pihole a dnsmasq config file generated from some lists from the internet, which is pretty much what pihole does, except better than my hand-made solution.What should one use for general adblocking on a small network?

Severe code smell: for the last few years in a row, time after time, there are constantly weird vulnerabilities around very common things that are basic web development: directly passing things to a shell script or argument without escaping it, and XSS everywhere. I hope it's gotten better, but practically half the web part has some issue where all user given values are dangerous. Like anything on your network resolving a hostname containing JS in the hostname would just be printed back out onto the page. Shell scripts and shell commands frequently had "hey you can run commands by loading a blocklist containing `127.0.0.1 | wget -O | bash `" type of thing.

Even a month ago there was another set of several "we concatenate user input directly into a shell command" vulns that run as root.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Man, a lot of people in this industry enjoy making 24/7 365 money, but don't want to do 24/7 365 availablility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Zotix posted:

Man, a lot of people in this industry enjoy making 24/7 365 money, but don't want to do 24/7 365 availablility.

I know I would enjoy that.