Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biffmotron
Jan 12, 2007

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

In modern scholarship on the Vietnam War, have any writers gained much access to the Vietnamese archives, or done many interviews with the PAVN & NLF leadership from the era? The generals' perspective would be interesting but it always seems to be absent.

Some recent serious scholarship drawing on Vietnamese archives is Lien-Hang T. Nguyen's Hanoi's War: An International History of the War for Peace in Vietnam, which focuses mostly on Le Duan and Le Duc Tho as upper level political leadership. As might be expected, the top level archives of the Politburo and General Staff are closed to external researchers, but a lot of the material is copied in lower level archives, though those are often poorly catalogued and otherwise hard to do research in, though through bureaucratic malaise rather than explicit policy.

I read a lot of Vietnam War histories and I haven't come across much from the perspective of the Communist side, particularly at the level of senior officers. Giap wrote a book about the First Indochina War, which is cheap on Kindle. And personally, one of my favorite books is Truong Nhu Tang's A Vietcong Memoir, which is a senior South Vietnamese's account of his war, though from an eventual position of disenchantment and exile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Also, and this is probably not what you want, but check out two books "The Perfect Spy" and "The Spy who Loved Us", both biographies of Pham Xuan An, a correspondent for Time, Reuters, and the International Herald Tribune who was also secretly a spy for North Vietnam.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

In modern scholarship on the Vietnam War, have any writers gained much access to the Vietnamese archives, or done many interviews with the PAVN & NLF leadership from the era? The generals' perspective would be interesting but it always seems to be absent.

Yes. Hanoi's Road to the Vietnam War, 1954-1965

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
I gifted myself the huge, illustrated version of McPherson's Battle Cry of Freedom and wanted to *humblebrag* some pics here:

Compared to the paperback of Tooze (still sad I can't find a hardcover version of that one)

All kinds of paintings, posters and proclamations from the era

John Brown

Honest Abe, pre-beard

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I’m finishing up Ghost on the Throne and really enjoying it. I read Peter Green’s bio of Alexander about a decade ago. Classical history owns but I don’t know where to go from here. Maybe a book on Ptolemaic Egypt? Or the history of Athens?

el3m
Jun 18, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Hammerstein posted:

I gifted myself the huge, illustrated version of McPherson's Battle Cry of Freedom and wanted to *humblebrag* some pics here:

That looks great! I got the paperback last week and while the book is great, the pictures are poor quality, many of the maps are practically unreadable

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

el3m posted:

That looks great! I got the paperback last week and while the book is great, the pictures are poor quality, many of the maps are practically unreadable

I got the ebook version and the maps are useless in that format. I've been watching the animated maps by the American battlefield trust on YouTube to help understand the battles.

Thanks to everyone in the thread who recommended the book, I'm really enjoying it.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

el3m posted:

The maps in this are really nice, I can really recommend the book, it's a new jewel in my book case.

I read several history books on the Kindle in the last years and I started re-buying them as hardcover whenever possible. I don't know how to express it, but reading in an actual book just makes everything more real and I noticed I memorize things better when I read them in a book, than on an electronic device. There's a very nice hardcover edition of Glantz's "When Titan's clashed" currently available. Also the new German paperback of Overy's "Russia's War" is almost on par with hardcover editions.

Speaking of WW2: I'm currently on a WW2 - Pacific Theatre reading binge and I would love something that's like Tooze's "Wages of Destruction", but for Japan. So far I read Toland's "Rising Sun", Spector's "Eagle against the Sun", Toll's Pacific trilogy, "Shattered Sword" by Parshall/Tully and Ienaga's "Pacific War 31-45". I already asked in the Grognard and the Milhist thread, but no suggestions so far.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jun 12, 2021

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

:dukedog:
College Slice

Hammerstein posted:

The maps in this are really nice, I can really recommend the book, it's a new jewel in my book case.

I read several history books on the Kindle in the last years and I started re-buying them as hardcover whenever possible. I don't know how to express it, but reading in an actual book just makes everything more real and I noticed I memorize things better when I read them in a book, than on an electronic device. There's a very nice hardcover edition of Glantz's "When Titan's clashed" currently available. Also the new German paperback of Overy's "Russia's War" is almost on par with hardcover editions.

Speaking of WW2: I'm currently on a WW2 - Pacific Theatre reading binge and I would love something that's like Tooze's "Wages of Destruction", but for Japan. So far I read Toland's "Rising Sun", Spector's "Eagle against the Sun", Toll's Pacific trilogy, "Shattered Sword" by Parshall/Tully and Ienaga's "Pacific War 31-45". I already asked in the Grognard and the Milhist thread, but no suggestions so far.

Nice I just got Battlecry of Freedom myself!

…as an audio book :argh:

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
Watching Once Upon a Time in Hollywood got me wondering - is there any such thing as a non-sensationalized, non true- crimey history of the Manson Family?

lunael1982
Oct 19, 2012

Fighting Trousers posted:

Watching Once Upon a Time in Hollywood got me wondering - is there any such thing as a non-sensationalized, non true- crimey history of the Manson Family?

Listened this few years back from Audible. Was very informative especially from murders to trial and sentencing.

https://www.amazon.com/Helter-Skelter-Story-Manson-Murders/dp/0393322238

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Jeff Gunn's bio is a completely sober account of what happened.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Fighting Trousers posted:

Semmi related Leslie Van Houten, one of the Manson family girls who participated in the LaBianca murders, is on the podcast Ear Hustle its an interesting listen, as are all their shows.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

cloudchamber posted:

Jeff Gunn's bio is a completely sober account of what happened.

yeah. i take Jeff Guinns books over Bugliosi. i mean Bugliosi good but he definitely paints Manson as way smarter and manipulative which isnt fully wrong but since the dude was the prosecutor for the case, he has his biases. the whole manson murders always struck me as manson looking to keep his weird gently caress orgy going longer since it was starting to frey hard and he thought he murdered a drug dealer so he wanted to make a bigger crime to draw attention off.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

what are some good books about the napoleonic period

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Stairmaster posted:

That’s a big and broad question, but ‘The Campaigns of Napoleon’ by David Chandler is a wonderfully written, single volume history of, well, the campaigns of Napoleon which I would very highly recommend. It’s mostly a military history and doesn’t get a ton into the politics or social side of things, but he really brings it to life. It’s the book that really got me interested in the period. For a biography of Napoleon, Andrew Roberts’ biography of Napoleon is an okay place to start, but it’s not without its flaws and doesn’t get much into the military side of things.

You really can’t beat the Aubrey-Maturin series by Patrick O’Brian for a meticulously researched portrait of the period that are also some of the best historical novels ever written in their own right. They even have their own thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3393240

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

:tipshat:

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Stairmaster posted:

It's a bit dated but I will always recommend Will and Ariel Durant's Age of Napoleon. It focuses more on social, political, and cultural history than military so you may need to account for that.

Seconding Patrick O'Brian. It's the best historical fiction I've ever read by a wide margin. He's incredibly steeped in the period and just about every naval action is a recreation of a real one.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jun 17, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Also get the Jim Jones book by Jeff Guinn, it’s fantastic, his new one about Pershing’s invasion of Mexico and Bonnie and Clyde.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

The Napoleonic Wars: A Global History

https://www.amazon.com/Napoleonic-W...la-670380731500

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I don't know if there's a better place to share this, but I want to recommend Fred Birchmore's Around the World on a Bicycle to anyone who's interested in memoirs, circumnavigation, bicycles, and 1930s history. It's a beautifully written book and an easy read. Perfect for a cool morning on the patio with some coffee.

A bit about Birchmore: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/fred-birchmores-amazing-bicycle-trip-around-the-world-1462409/

Book is here: https://ugapress.org/book/9780820357287/around-the-world-on-a-bicycle/

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Hammerstein posted:

I don't know how to express it, but reading in an actual book just makes everything more real and I noticed I memorize things better when I read them in a book, than on an electronic device.
One of the things that I've noticed about myself is that when I learn something from a physical book I usually end up carrying around, without making any attempt to do so, a sort of geographic association with whatever it is that I learned. So if I end up needing to go back to something that I got out of a physical text, I can usually recall that what I need was in book so-and-so, about a third of the way in, starts about 3/4 of the way down the verso page, continues halfway down the recto. That kind of thing. If that makes sense.

I never have had that sort of "geographic" recollection about anything I've read in etexts, even ones that preserve the pagination of the physical text.

I mean etexts do have the advantage of being searchable. Which is absolutely not to be scoffed at. O lord, as someone who spent time having to use a physical card catalogue and the loving Readers Guide to Periodical Literature, searchable texts are not to be maligned. But I absolutely believe that I retain information differently when I read it on an screen instead of on a printed page.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Will I learn macroeconomics principles from reading The Wages of Destruction?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

FPyat posted:

Will I learn macroeconomics principles from reading The Wages of Destruction?

Well you’ll learn a crash course on what NOT to do.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Is this the only book about China in WW2?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0...&ref_=pd_gw_unk

And are there any others anyone recommends?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

There's also Shanghai 1937 by Peter Harmsen about the battle for that city and The Rape of Nanking by Iris Chang about the atrocity, but yea I don't know any better books covering the whole of it than that one.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Hammerstein posted:

Compared to the paperback of Tooze (still sad I can't find a hardcover version of that one)

All kinds of paintings, posters and proclamations from the era

John Brown

Honest Abe, pre-beard

That’s a good looking book.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

No Wave posted:

Is this the only book about China in WW2?

I judge all books about China in WW2 by how much emphasis they put on the Flying Tiger, so I can tell you there are some others. Unfortunately, I can't remember what the best Flying Tiger books were.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

There's also Shanghai 1937 by Peter Harmsen about the battle for that city and The Rape of Nanking by Iris Chang about the atrocity, but yea I don't know any better books covering the whole of it than that one.

so is rape of nanking not accurate. i remember reading it mostly is but chang made some weird mistakes about atrocities that didnt happen(i think the baby stuff and decapitation contest) or she got some names wrong or some poo poo. i know it was enough that the IJA apologists basically drove her to suicide.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so is rape of nanking not accurate. i remember reading it mostly is but chang made some weird mistakes about atrocities that didnt happen(i think the baby stuff and decapitation contest) or she got some names wrong or some poo poo. i know it was enough that the IJA apologists basically drove her to suicide.

It was required reading in one of my college history courses, so that would be interesting.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Well the decapitation contest literally ran in a Japanese newspaper, so

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Fitzy Fitz posted:

It was required reading in one of my college history courses, so that would be interesting.

i doubt the critques are some magic bullet or some poo poo. i just remember reading that while the book is mostly accurate, it had some glaring issues and nationalist right in japan went bug gently caress on her which compounded with a bunch of other issues pushed her to thinking she had no way out.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

nationalist right in japan went bug gently caress on her.

If anything this lends it some extra credibility

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Fitzy Fitz posted:

If anything this lends it some extra credibility

oh yeah agreed. i just remember other historians having issues with it too but i still recommend the book to people.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I have no prior knowledge of this, but the impression I get from skimming some reviews is that Chang's description of the atrocities themselves are pretty accurate but that the book is seriously flawed when she tries to blame the violence on some underlying Japanese culture and claim that no Japanese person has ever felt sorry about them afterwards, in part because she apparently didn't do much (maybe not any?) research with Japanese-language sources and so doesn't accurately represent the state of Japanese scholarship on Nanking or its historical memory in Japan, and is overly credulous of Chinese-language sources that had obvious motivations to portray the Japanese as worse than they were.

Here's a passage from one review, for instance:

Joshua A. Fogel in the Journal of Asian Studies posted:

Her description of the Japanese assault on Nanjing is generally good, though flawed by occasional wild assertions. In this connection, the author apparently believes everything her many informants tell her; there is little critical sifting of information from her interviewees. Related to this is the author's unquestioning approach to Chinese documents.

[...]

The most disturbing element of Chang's work is her insistence that postwar Japan continues to hide its past. Would that it were so simple. She claims that research in Japan on the Nanjing massacre can be "career-threatening, and even life-threatening" (p. 12) to the researcher. In fact, she claims, Chinese scholars' fears have kept them from examining Japanese records on the war, and the PRC usually refuses to allow research on the topic out of fear for its citizens' safety in Japan. This is either nonsense or fear based on nonsense. Dozens of Japanese scholars are now actively engaged in research on every aspect of the war. Indeed, we know of many details of the Nanjing massacre, Japanese sexual exploitation of "comfort women," and biological and chemical warfare used in China because of the trail-blazing research of men such as Yoshimi Yoshiaki, Awaya Kentaro, and Kasahara Tokushi. There are vocal forces on the extreme right, some even in the LDP, who continue to deny or severely downplay the Nanjing massacre, but no serious China or Japan historian is among them. Virtually all Japanese textbooks do tell the story of the war—yes, there were efforts to downplay that history, but what Chang does not recognize is that those efforts have failed. Chang knows much of this—she interviewed some of these figures for her research—but in reaching her conclusions, she remains deaf, and that is a great insult to the same people who have devoted their professional lives to supposedly deathdefying research. To say that "the Japanese as a nation are still trying to bury the victims of Nanking—not under the soil, as in 1937, but into historical oblivion" (p. 220) is unnecessarily unnuanced and, indeed, inaccurate and unfair.

Unfortunately, it seems like the book's flaws ended up harming her cause more than its merits helped them, since the Japanese right was able to point at these issues and say "look, see, the people who claim there was a genocide have to make stuff up to justify their claims" even though her description of the atrocities themselves wasn't in serious question.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

whats a good book on the pilgrims/puritains in america? and also salem witch trial. i have always found them interesting folks despite being weird reactionaries.

vyelkin posted:

I have no prior knowledge of this, but the impression I get from skimming some reviews is that Chang's description of the atrocities themselves are pretty accurate but that the book is seriously flawed when she tries to blame the violence on some underlying Japanese culture and claim that no Japanese person has ever felt sorry about them afterwards, in part because she apparently didn't do much (maybe not any?) research with Japanese-language sources and so doesn't accurately represent the state of Japanese scholarship on Nanking or its historical memory in Japan, and is overly credulous of Chinese-language sources that had obvious motivations to portray the Japanese as worse than they were.

Here's a passage from one review, for instance:

Unfortunately, it seems like the book's flaws ended up harming her cause more than its merits helped them, since the Japanese right was able to point at these issues and say "look, see, the people who claim there was a genocide have to make stuff up to justify their claims" even though her description of the atrocities themselves wasn't in serious question.

yeah that's about what i remember hearing.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Any general recommendations about the Russo-Japanese War? I realized most of what I know about it comes from histories of the 1905 Revolution and felt real dumb for a bit there.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Dapper_Swindler posted:

whats a good book on the pilgrims/puritains in america? and also salem witch trial. i have always found them interesting folks despite being weird reactionaries.

yeah that's about what i remember hearing.
A quarter of Albion's Seed: Four British Folkways in America by David Hackett is devoted to the New England puritans and has a ton of cool cultural information. It's more a social/cultural history and isn't at all narrative, but I found it really interesting reading. The sections of the other groups he covers-Chesapeake planters, delaware valley Quakers, and the backcountry southern Borderers- were all really interesting too, especially the Quakers. I really didn't know much of anything about them before reading that book.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Very frustrating that the Oxford History of the United States remains glaringly incomplete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Global Disorder
Jan 9, 2020

grassy gnoll posted:

Any general recommendations about the Russo-Japanese War? I realized most of what I know about it comes from histories of the 1905 Revolution and felt real dumb for a bit there.

I can't help you with the military side, but Japanese historian Masayoshi Matsumura has two books about Japan's public diplomacy during the conflict: Baron Suematsu in Europe During the Russo-Japanese War and Baron Kaneko and the Russo-Japanese War. Very readable histories of two Meiji leaders attempting to convince Americans and British that Japan represented the West in a war against Asian barbarism. And their troubles dealing with the yellow peril idea that was spread around the time.