Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

I really liked reading the final ninja war arc, mainly because each chapter had such a wild rear end-pull or powerup that it was great to sit back and watch the train wreck. Madara was so laughably overpowered that only infinite stamina zombie-ninja gods could hold him back, and they only beat him because the actual ninja god appeared and gave his divine intervention to Naruto and Sasuke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Hey y'all, Pirate Warriors 3 and 4 are on sale on Steam and I recall a bunch of people saying good things about the games. I should be buying 4, right?

Do I buy the Deluxe Pack or the Normal?

Both are good for different reasons imo.

PW3:
Engine is more refined as it's on the same one as 1 and 2
Plays through every story arc up to Dressorsa
Ostensibly cheaper
Only DLC are costumes and some missions so you can feel free to just get the base game.

PW4:
New engine which means it's way more rough around the edges but when it feels good it feels really good
Some arcs are cut but it goes all the way up to Wano
Characters are to scale with eachother so playing as someone like Katakuri or Whitebeard feels really unique and powerful
9 additional characters are DLC

Both have alternate endings of the arcs that were being written as the game was coming out (dressrosa/wano) so you don't get teased with a cliffhanger ending, which is neat.

Personally if you're strapped for cash or don't want to invest too much you can stick with 3 but 4's engine and level up system is really neat and shows promise for future entries.

G20 Sumbitch
Sep 29, 2007

Happy Hockey Is The Best!!!
Both 3 and 4 are worth it full price to me, but if you want to pick just one it's not an easy choice I'd say.
PW3 has more replay value through collectibles, and a complete storyline up until that point (dressrosa, with a made up ending). The main mechanic that I miss from PW3 is fighting alongside different crewmates, stacking up their abilities, and by the time you're at the end of the level, causing complete chaos with every special you do.
PW4 has gaps in the storyline, but goes up to Wano (with a made up ending), better cinematics, cool new characters, and gameplay that you can 100% pretty swiftly. So if grinding for 100's of hours is not what makes you tick, go for this one.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Pirate Warriors 3 is like 7 bucks and 4 is like 20 bucks so it's not really gonna hurt my wallet but I'm wondering if I wanna play a similar game twice, especially when I have to play other games I bought too, like Tales of Bersy.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Just do like you do with Pokémon games: Look up which characters are in which version and pick whichever one has more of your favorites.

Unless Barto is your favorite because I am sad to say he's hands down the worst character in the game :(

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Like when I was younger I played like 4 different Dynasty Warriors and all the Orochi Warriors games but I'm a decrepit old man in my 30s now.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Isn't the pc version of pirate warriors 3 some older generation of console version?

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Get PW4 and play as Kaido, Smoothie, or Akainu to just obliterate everything

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

With the mess of nonsense that Naruto became it still looks expertly planned in comparison to Bleach.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

kdrudy posted:

With the mess of nonsense that Naruto became it still looks expertly planned in comparison to Bleach.
Uuuhmmmuuueeaauuuehhhhnnnaaaaahhhhidk

Bleach became and ungodly mess and super bad, but it at least had some sense that parts of it were planned. The Ichigo is also a Quincy twist was nicely foreshadowed and was definitely planned, just a shame that it amounted to literally nothing. The rest was very bad and suffered from 'being a mega-war arc' and 'near-unkillable villain' syndrome just like naruto, but it solved it by giving a way for him to be killed, whereas Naruto could not find a way to do that and just replaced the unkillable villain with another completely-unforshadowed unkillable sexist moon villain that could conveniently be defeated by the two magic tattoos I just now placed on our protagonists hands.

Like both endings sucked rear end but to me Naruto felt nonsensical, drawnout, ad-hoc and bad, whereas Bleach just felt drawnout and bad.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 21, 2021

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Ryaomon posted:

Just do like you do with Pokémon games: Look up which characters are in which version and pick whichever one has more of your favorites.

Unless Barto is your favorite because I am sad to say he's hands down the worst character in the game :(

Knowing nothing about the game and how it plays, what makes Barto so bad? :(

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Speaking of Kaguya, I'm rereading the series through Manga Plus and one of the minor villains, Kimimaro, has just been revealed to be the last survivor of the Kaguya clan, but I don't recall this being relevant to anything whatsoever, including when Kaguya turns up. Did anything ever come of that?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Speaking of Kaguya, I'm rereading the series through Manga Plus and one of the minor villains, Kimimaro, has just been revealed to be the last survivor of the Kaguya clan, but I don't recall this being relevant to anything whatsoever, including when Kaguya turns up. Did anything ever come of that?

Not as far as I’m aware, no (maybe Kaguya used bones as one of her attacks but that’s about it as far as I recall)

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Kaguya herself has similar bone powers, among her other absurd abilities. So presumably there is some connection.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I think the Kaguya clan are vaguely descended from the alien Kaguya in the same way the Uchiha, Senju, Uzumaki and Hyuga clans were and their bloodline ability is related to a power she had.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007

XkyRauh posted:

Knowing nothing about the game and how it plays, what makes Barto so bad? :(

His gimmick he draws aggro (in a single player game) and plays defensively and as such does really low damage and takes way longer to finish missions with when 2/3 of the mission grading criteria is KO Count and Speed.

He does have this moment in the alternate-wano arc at least.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I think the Kaguya clan are vaguely descended from the alien Kaguya in the same way the Uchiha, Senju, Uzumaki and Hyuga clans were and their bloodline ability is related to a power she had.

Yeah, there’s a clan with a similar look/powers that shows up in the sequel series Boruto looking to continue what Kaguya started.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Oof, Boruto.

I've been reading some of it, and there are some good fights, but it is absolutely joyless. There's no levity or humour to it at all, I think it would have ground me down completely if it wasn't monthly.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Oof, Boruto.

I've been reading some of it, and there are some good fights, but it is absolutely joyless. There's no levity or humour to it at all, I think it would have ground me down completely if it wasn't monthly.

Watch the anime instead, it’s better in pretty much every aspect, goes into some early stuff the manga doesn’t cover but still considers canon, the overall tone is more along the lines of pre-Shippuden Naruto, and the artstyle is more like Kishimoto’s than the new guy.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 21, 2021

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I read enough Boruto for the dude with the minigun and stopped there because I knew it was all down hill after that.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Also Bleach finale at least had some ridiculous and enjoyable poo poo like Masque de Masculine, and the brain in a jar that dies because it could not imagine any physically possible way to beat Kenpachi, (EDIT: Oh and Yhwach immediately breaking Ichigo's bankai before he could even use it was the right kind of hilarious) whereas Naruto was just... more edgelords doing powers on each other ad infinum.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 21, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, an issue I have with Naruto is it doesn’t take long for the characters to stop being ninjas and eventually just become wizards who occasionally use throwing weapons.

Not to mention the whole spiel at the beginning about hard work and dedication being able to overcome anything that winds up being completely undercut by the end.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Larryb posted:

Yeah, an issue I have with Naruto is it doesn’t take long for the characters to stop being ninjas and eventually just become wizards who occasionally use throwing weapons.

I feel like people who complain about this are misunderstanding the premise to some degree. Naruto was always based on a folkloric concept of ninjas as tricky wizards.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninja#Legendary_abilities

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
in naruto everyone is in constant superposition with a log

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I don't mind the ninja basically being mutant wizards. But it makes the setting weird to me. They live like it's feudal Japan but have TV's and radios like a modern setting and it isn't sitting well with me

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Len posted:

I don't mind the ninja basically being mutant wizards. But it makes the setting weird to me. They live like it's feudal Japan but have TV's and radios like a modern setting and it isn't sitting well with me

Hell, in Boruto they also have video games, movies, and live news broadcasts yet at the same time there are still feudal lords in charge of the various nations.

So yeah, I’m not sure what kind of world this series is meant to take place in

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jun 21, 2021

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Len posted:

Yeah, that never really made much sense.

The rule seems to be that they have 20th-century technology for everything except warfare and transportation. You can rationalize that it developed that way because ninjas didn't want non-ninjas having weapons that could fight against them, but it would be hard to suppress a technology in such a politically fragmented world.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 21, 2021

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Honestly I love how the anachronisms in Naruto piled up and up until Kishimoto said the tech level is simply present day except there are no cars.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Larryb posted:

video games, movies, and live news broadcasts yet at the same time there are still feudal lords in charge of the various nations.

gosh that's so different from the world we live in, totally, definitely,

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

I feel like people who complain about this are misunderstanding the premise to some degree. Naruto was always based on a folkloric concept of ninjas as tricky wizards.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninja#Legendary_abilities

Thats cool but they're barely doing anything tricky or stealthy and it's just pure wizard fights. Like the only actual ninja in the timeskip is Kisame who hides in his sword and gives information away before suiciding so they can't get any information out of him. Compare that to the war against a necromancer where they might as well just be called Benders and be from Avatar.

Kild fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 21, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Bleck posted:

gosh that's so different from the world we live in, totally, definitely,

Yeah ok, fair point there

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Snazzy Frocks posted:

in naruto everyone is in constant superposition with a log

And magical talking animals are in a constant state of readiness to be plucked from the frog dimension directly into the path of whatever supermove some ninja needs saving from.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

And magical talking animals are in a constant state of readiness to be plucked from the frog dimension directly into the path of whatever supermove some ninja needs saving from.

I thought the series got some comedic mileage out of the idea that sometimes they aren't; sometimes a ninja summons a different frog or snake or whatever than they mean to, or the frog or snake or whatever is sometimes annoyed to be summoned, and the summoner might have to do some fast-talking or negotiation on the spot. This was especially prevalent in filler, which loved having Naruto summon an incompetent frog because Gamabunta would have resolved the plot too quickly.

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
I just started watching the show. It's really good.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Beginning of Arabasta impressions: Vivi and Chopper should have let the Kung Fu Jugons follow Luffy. I don’t care if some loser desert town wouldn’t allow them inside. They can Kung fu their way in.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Larryb posted:

Hell, in Boruto they also have video games, movies, and live news broadcasts yet at the same time there are still feudal lords in charge of the various nations.

So yeah, I’m not sure what kind of world this series is meant to take place in

Its just the world of gintama but not meant to be funny

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
There's a guy with a gun leaning against his shop counter in the land of waves arc. Guns are never seen again.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Beginning of Arabasta impressions: Vivi and Chopper should have let the Kung Fu Jugons follow Luffy. I don’t care if some loser desert town wouldn’t allow them inside. They can Kung fu their way in.

It would be pretty drat great if they marched on the rebels with an army of Dugons. But the arc overall is pretty good anyway.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I started playing Pirate Warriors 4 and it's pretty fun!

But the chase function is sorta lackluster, especially when I compare it to Persona 5 Striker's version where it instantly takes you to your target instead of haphazardly putting you somewhere in the area.

I'm also too used to P5S's air combos, cause I keep expecting to be able to do Normal -> Charged transitions in midair and keep failing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
If you have Katakuri give him a whirl. He's so hilariously OP he makes every other character look like chumps, but goddamn does feeling like a mochi god feel good.

Smoothie and Cracker are also very fun, Cracker just needs a bit more finesse to do everything you want with him.