Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Barry Foster posted:

It seems kinda crazy to me that as recently as the 80s saying "maybe intelligent life evolved at least one other time somewhere among the trillions of stars" would get you tagged as a whacko, even though I know the debate about extraterrestrial life has been ping-ponging back and forth over the last century or so

but then again I'm a broke brained poster not a big brained scientist

In semi-fairness, I don't think it was as clear then as it is now just how many planets exist out there that seem to fall into the range of what we consider life bearing planets. It's actually really exciting; even if UFOs are completely made up, there's enough close by that we could probably find life in another solar system if we tried, though it wouldn't be on an individual life timescale. It'd take something like a very scaled down version of the theory that UAPs are von Neuman probes, with us sending large robotic probes that would take decades or even centuries to arrive.

Of course, we could also just start working on our own von Neuman probes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

endocriminologist posted:

im so loving himosesxula im going to gently caress the aliens, im going to gently caress the transdimensiosnals, im going to POSSIBLY KISS the grays (ape clomes)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Log082 posted:

In semi-fairness, I don't think it was as clear then as it is now just how many planets exist out there that seem to fall into the range of what we consider life bearing planets. It's actually really exciting; even if UFOs are completely made up, there's enough close by that we could probably find life in another solar system if we tried, though it wouldn't be on an individual life timescale. It'd take something like a very scaled down version of the theory that UAPs are von Neuman probes, with us sending large robotic probes that would take decades or even centuries to arrive.

Of course, we could also just start working on our own von Neuman probes.

again I don't know enough to even be Not Even Wrong about this, but what was the thinking behind that? I know we didn't have evidence, but what was the thinking as to why other stars wouldn't have planets in the first place? Did we think that it was just way, way, way more common that most of the material in most stars' accretion disks wound up in the star and not forming into planets? Or did we think that sure, there were planets everywhere, but none of them were specifically likely to be life-bearing, for whatever reason?

I also don't understand statistics but 100,000,000,000 to 400,000,000,000 stars in our galaxy alone seems to suggest - to my ape like mind - that the chances of our being a one-off seems a lot less likely than life being a rare but still common enough occurrence.

Exo-planets are pretty cool though, even though I know the chances of communicating with another civilisation are absurdly small

or are they :tinfoil:

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

o poo poo an old photo of OP

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Barry Foster posted:

again I don't know enough to even be Not Even Wrong about this, but what was the thinking behind that? I know we didn't have evidence, but what was the thinking as to why other stars wouldn't have planets in the first place? Did we think that it was just way, way, way more common that most of the material in most stars' accretion disks wound up in the star and not forming into planets? Or did we think that sure, there were planets everywhere, but none of them were specifically likely to be life-bearing, for whatever reason?

I also don't understand statistics but 100,000,000,000 to 400,000,000,000 stars in our galaxy alone seems to suggest - to my ape like mind - that the chances of our being a one-off seems a lot less likely than life being a rare but still common enough occurrence.

Exo-planets are pretty cool though, even though I know the chances of communicating with another civilisation are absurdly small

I'm not really an expert on this, but I think it was something like we didn't have the data to really know. Some people posited they were everywhere, some people thought they were nowhere, and everyone else had an idea somewhere in the middle. In the past few decades data has started to become more and more abundant and it's turned out more on the "gently caress, they're everywhere" side of the scale.

Of course, we haven't actually found life yet (as far as has been confirmed), so it could turn out that life is super super rare and in fact we're the only living planet in the galaxy. That's incredibly unlikely given what we currently know, but it's still theoretically possible. Similar ideas hold true for for intelligent life; maybe life is super common but something about intelligence is incredibly rare, and the solution to the Fermi Paradox is that it's just us out here. Or, you know, maybe there's an entire ecosystem of von Neuman probes visiting us, controlled by a galactic federation that's developed warp drives. Right now we have a single data point, and can't say anything with complete certainty.

Utz
Aug 1, 2008

by vyelkin
Genetics now scientifically proves that there is an at least 5,500 year old ancient family later known as "The Celts".

When you examine the modern surnames of world class musicians from the 1700's and onward, their is a subgroup of the Celts, with a distinct genetic genetic marker. 2/3 of those surnames with that marker including Amadeus, (Mozart) are the surname of said musicians.

All three members of Cream, are of that ancient marked clan.

What you are hearing in White Room, is the an ancient anthemic sound from thousands of years past, brought into the present with modern instruments and technology.

Imagine White Room echoing through the valleys of the Altai Mountains of Siberia when alien spacecraft were commonly seen, and then you will realize that White Room musically is the sonic emotion of that ancient age. Totally historic and brilliant tune.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

The Saucer Hovers posted:

o poo poo an old photo of OP

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Foreverally gribbletized and loving it

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

cream sucks

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Log082 posted:

Right now we have a single data point, and can't say anything with complete certainty.

Yeah I figured it all came down to this in the end, and when it comes to actually doing science that's the only admissible evidence, but it still seems odd to me that people would be ostracised for speculating in the positive given *gestures at the skis*

anyway thanks that was interesting!

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Boomer music sucks

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
All of the UAPs are different generations of drones sent by the good folx on Planet X and the resent speculation among some conspiracy minded folks have prompted the drones to enact protocol D(isclosure) whereby they increase the amount of drones observing while also turning of the cloaking field. This is to make us more curious and to incrementally increase the acceptance of them as our caretakers. One World united under Planet X. Viva la X.

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

I'm sure Clapton would love that musical eugenics bullshit

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

crashed roswell ETs are mysterious

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Lampsacus posted:

truly ground breaking opinion. although, from what i've read and i could be wrong, it actually was until maybe the early 1980s when the taboo against saying so was lifted in academic circles. i'm unsure why saying aliens probaby exist far away toggled to OK at that time but all sources/books i've read seem to say so. before then, it was thought about/talked about a little but was still a fringe opinion. so that was 30/40 years ago now. perhaps we are time for another sea change and that's why its now becoming OK all of a sudden to say UFOs are probably alien robot probes and they are here. although, i feel something else has shifted that we aren't privy too. i think the supposed increase in UAP activity is one reason - but it still feels like we're missing something.

It seems like a generational thing where older scientists still have the sense that the question of life elsewhere in the universe is inherently unserious because it couldn't be investigated for a long time and was seen as potentially making astronomy or astrophysics seem less credible. Scientists under 55 or so generally take the question completely seriously and default to hypothesizing about methods to detect civilizations and what may or may not work. The difference really seems to be that other civilizations only became something you could start figuring out how to investigate once there was a way to find other planets and learn about them.

It's very much a question of where the horizons of the field are: if you can't investigate a question through empirical means, it's not a scientific question. For greybeards stuck in the midcentury model that was taught to them in the 70s by people who learned it in the 30s, there was no way to conceptualize life on other planets and everything you worked with was a tiny dot in a field of dots that you did calculations about. It was very hard to have any sense of wonder about anything. It's only been since like 1980 that we've known was Neptune looked like. I would imagine that an increased ability to feel wonder about space and not just have it be basically a branch of mathematics has done wonders for people being able to ask larger questions, in addition to people post-1970 being able to get data that might inform a search of other civilizations.

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol

the crazy thing is that these are different parts of the same painting

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I will admit the whole "UFOs in byzantine/renaissance" art thing does bug me a bit because there is plenty of contemporary documentation that explains what those shapes are well-established shorthand for

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

that's a pizza and a roomba

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

mistermojo posted:

that's a pizza and a roomba

why are the loaves baked in the shape of ufos in this photo of jesus then?

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

aliens have preemptively blocked us on all social media. harsh, but fair

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I will admit the whole "UFOs in byzantine/renaissance" art thing does bug me a bit because there is plenty of contemporary documentation that explains what those shapes are well-established shorthand for

yuh but sometimes it looks saucery as poo poo and is good

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
preparing my consciousness to have the qualia sucked out by the alien subjectivity ray

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

man uriels poo poo was so badass
not a single led in that dress

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

looks like bob gymlan is dipping his toes into the ufo topic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVTNOT-lsfI

for anyone not familiar, he mostly covers stories and footage of cryptids, especially bigfoot. he's got a very levelheaded and reasoned style and has an insane attention to detail and precision in the way he speaks on these topics. highly recommend his channel

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Utz posted:

Genetics now scientifically proves that there is an at least 5,500 year old ancient family later known as "The Celts".

When you examine the modern surnames of world class musicians from the 1700's and onward, their is a subgroup of the Celts, with a distinct genetic genetic marker. 2/3 of those surnames with that marker including Amadeus, (Mozart) are the surname of said musicians.

All three members of Cream, are of that ancient marked clan.

What you are hearing in White Room, is the an ancient anthemic sound from thousands of years past, brought into the present with modern instruments and technology.

Imagine White Room echoing through the valleys of the Altai Mountains of Siberia when alien spacecraft were commonly seen, and then you will realize that White Room musically is the sonic emotion of that ancient age. Totally historic and brilliant tune.

its in the frakkin waLLS

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Barry Foster posted:

There was definitely a common line of thought that our particular solar system had a possibly unique (or at least incredibly rare) set of cosmic coincidences line up that allowed life on Earth to flourish.

It went something like this:

Our sun is at just the right age to be stable enough that there can be a goldilocks zone where there can be liquid water, which many or perhaps most solar systems do not have.

Earth is within this relatively narrow orbital range but there's no mechanism that encourages planets to be in this range, so given that actual planetary location is basically random, it would be rare to have a planet inside this zone, even if any given solar system has such a zone.

Doubly so that the planet remains in the goldilocks zone all the time and doesn't have an elliptical enough orbit that it moves in and out.

Our solar system has a collection of gas giants, Jupiter in particular, further out that essentially serve as a protective ring around the inner planets, capturing large bodies that would otherwise have orbits that would eventually overlap with Earth.

And even if a planet forms around a star at the proper point in it's life cycle, in a stable orbit inside the goldilocks zone, while being protected by gas giants, it then needs to actually have the correct balance of elements to eventually have water.

Finally, even if all that lines up, the going theory at the time was that life is a much more fragile formation, requiring just the right conditions to develop, as opposed to something much more robust, something more like a delicate flower and less like a weed.

We've spent a lot of time basically rethinking those underlying assumptions since then, and we're finally settling on Earth-type planets being if not common, then at least not ultrarare, and life as being something that can be extremely hardy.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
flash pose

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

at first i read "fash" and i was gonna say no no thats her husband and his side piece

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

at first i read "fash" and i was gonna say no no thats her husband and his side piece
uh oh. i was worried about some of the blonde aryan superbeings who pop up in this stuff along with the nordicnauts from the asteroid belt who allegedly built the pyramids instead of the other guys

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

of all the tomes written about the saucer people ernst r. normans dozens of volumes are some of the absolute worst. that said hes not even half as fash as most of em so w/e

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

it all assumes "life" has to look like it does here; i've never heard an explanation why that is necessary beyond that's what we understand

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Azathoth posted:

There was definitely a common line of thought that our particular solar system had a possibly unique (or at least incredibly rare) set of cosmic coincidences line up that allowed life on Earth to flourish.

Our sun is at just the right age to be stable enough that there can be a goldilocks zone where there can be liquid water, which many or perhaps most solar systems do not have.

Earth is within this relatively narrow orbital range but there's no mechanism that encourages planets to be in this range, so given that actual planetary location is basically random, it would be rare to have a planet inside this zone, even if any given solar system has such a zone.

Doubly so that the planet remains in the goldilocks zone all the time and doesn't have an elliptical enough orbit that it moves in and out.

Our solar system has a collection of gas giants, Jupiter in particular, further out that essentially serve as a protective ring around the inner planets, capturing large bodies that would otherwise have orbits that would eventually overlap with Earth.

And even if a planet forms around a star at the proper point in it's life cycle, in a stable orbit inside the goldilocks zone, while being protected by gas giants, it then needs to actually have the correct balance of elements to eventually have water.

Finally, even if all that lines up, the going theory at the time was that life is a much more fragile formation, requiring just the right conditions to develop, as opposed to something much more robust, something more like a delicate flower and less like a weed.

We've spent a lot of time basically rethinking those underlying assumptions since then, and we're finally settling on Earth-type planets being if not common, then at least not ultrarare, and life as being something that can be extremely hardy.

I've also read some interesting speculation about how it's likely life first arose in little hot tide pools on ocean shores. some stuff about it needing the sun's energy and not too much mixing, plus a nice concentrated pool of aminos and minerals, etc. the open ocean would diffuse these things too much, and it's not likely that'd occur in fresh water. of course, for the world to have tide pools, it must have tides. tides we get from our very unusually large and tidally locked moon. so basically it's speculated life would've never had the chance to arise as it did without our moon. combining that thought with the insane coincidence of our perfect solar eclipses, and i'm ready to start worshipping the bright orbs in the sky

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

only the scientologists managed to out L.A. the unarians

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL65rpg_TJ0

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Azathoth posted:

generally everything is just a massive assumption bc there is no observable way to measure anything related to aliens because we don't know how life is actually formed, how life could look differently than how we evolved, why the first microbes even appeared and took on life, etc.

ultimately its not really a question for scientists but more for philosophy at this point in human history.

for instance, we know life has existed for 3 billion-ish years here and our solar system is about 5b years old. the oldest known solar system is about 10 billion years old. even assuming that life will evolve - what if we were the first intelligent life? there's quite a few solar systems older than us so maybe we aren't the first but also during that time the universe was outrageously hot and active so hard to say if life could evolve based on what we know.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

1947: America gets its hands on the first UAP

2004: field tests of reverse-engineered technology ramp up in deep secrecy

2021: America does surprised pikachu face and says wow look we have no idea what this is flying all over your airspace

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Hooplah posted:

looks like bob gymlan is dipping his toes into the ufo topic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVTNOT-lsfI

for anyone not familiar, he mostly covers stories and footage of cryptids, especially bigfoot. he's got a very levelheaded and reasoned style and has an insane attention to detail and precision in the way he speaks on these topics. highly recommend his channel

cool

also that guy's triangle UFO sighting (red lights at the corners, appears out of thin air, then disappears) sounds a lot like what witnesses claim to have seen in pentyrch UFO incident:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJTGpxOqzjA

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

and of course, most people think "evolution" leads to further and further advanced life, but evolution doesn't actually imply any sort of "positive movement" just that things have changed - we don't even know why conscious life formed out of normal life either.

it's really interesting to think about, but at this point i don't really know if scientists can provide any answers except hypotheticals based on what we know

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

i just depressed myself thinking about us stumbling upon a planet covered in all sorts of radios constantly transmitting and receiving signals in the hopes of finding other intelligent life before their resources ran out, but now everyone is dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Vomik posted:

i just depressed myself thinking about us stumbling upon a planet covered in all sorts of radios constantly transmitting and receiving signals in the hopes of finding other intelligent life before their resources ran out, but now everyone is dead

perhaps FTL truly is impossible and the UAPs zipping around Earth are automated probes from a dozen different civilizations, all millions of years dead, the only remnants of their species these little mindless drones replicating themselves across the cosmos until entropy takes everything