Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Albino Squirrel posted:

He's not wrong in that we don't really know how effective mixing Moderna and Pfizer are. Theoretically, it should work, and as the vaccines would have more similar effects than a combo of, say, Pfizer and AZ, it should work really well, but the data just don't exist yet. Whether his recommendation should follow from that is a different question.

He's not wrong regarding the lack of data but he's literally going to get people killed which is kind of a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
He assumes everyone is as smart of a Doctor as he is at parsing out the exact technical information, from a scientifically explained point.

We don't have data to support or refute mixing and matching.

Smart people hear: we don't know if mixing works, but it isn't going to kill you

Dumb people hear: They don't know if mixing is a good idea! It's going to kill you!

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Yeah what I'd like to hear someone say is "we don't know the effectiveness of mixing vaccines, but the 1st vaccine dose is eliminated from the body super-quickly and is long gone by the 2nd dose, so there's no mechanism by which mixing the doses could seriously harm you (besides the rare side effects of the vaccine itself)"

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS

TheKingofSprings posted:

The experienced culture of an African-American and a person living in Africa are pretty loving different boo boo bear

yea, by design. the cultural ties and history were eradicated because that's how you go about trying to break people.

african-american culture feels irresponsible, as it developed parallel and segregated from 'american' culture. it also leads to bullshit like people in canada shouldn't celebrate juneteenth because of some obscure sub-clause in the bna.

heard the term used before in reference to juneteenth being a 'celebration of black culture and history', so I went with what Cornel West called it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
He's correct that we don't have any specific evidence at this point that mixing mRNA vaccines is effective. But by the same logic, we don't have any evidence that it doesn't confer complete immunity from all variants of COVID and make your dick three inches longer.

When the delayed doses plan was originally announced a bunch of people were freaking out that it might not be effective. Spoiler: it was actually more effective, but we still shouldn't do that anymore because a second dose at any time is better than a single dose. What we do know about mixing doses is that: it's safe, and what we can very reasonably conjecture is that, regardless of the vaccines involved, it probably has a high degree of efficacy. We don't know that for a fact, but at some point you just have to make reasonable assumptions.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

half cocaine posted:

That's cool so they're just going to play bran van 3000 all the time right?

truly the peak of quebecois culture

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

That didn't last long:

edit: there's more, someone really must have given him the business.

EngineerJoe fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jun 21, 2021

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

EngineerJoe posted:

That didn't last long:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/831805955402776576

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

Chillyrabbit posted:

He assumes everyone is as smart of a Doctor as he is at parsing out the exact technical information, from a scientifically explained point.

Smart people hear: we don't know if mixing works, but it isn't going to kill you

Dumb people hear: They don't know if mixing is a good idea! It's going to kill you!

He's speaking authoritatively on topics that are well beyond his area of expertise. He's not a doctor. He's a science teacher with no formal training in medicine or in public health. He appears to be a coauthor on some microbiology papers in the late aughts but nothing that he has led and, prior to COVID, nothing since then.

He also has a treated POC, and esp WOC, poorly throughout the pandemic.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Well poo poo I just assumed he was a doctor because why else would you say that. Now that's dumb

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Goosed it. posted:

He's speaking authoritatively on topics that are well beyond his area of expertise. He's not a doctor. He's a science teacher with no formal training in medicine or in public health. He appears to be a coauthor on some microbiology papers in the late aughts but nothing that he has led and, prior to COVID, nothing since then.

He also has a treated POC, and esp WOC, poorly throughout the pandemic.

If it's the specific Chatelaine writer I'm thinking of, he was rudely saying "of course transmission happens in schools, how is COVID not like every other airborne transmitted disease" and being called every name under the sun for not appreciating the concerns of working mothers.

And making this about WOC issue is disingenuous when you look at what the positivity rates were like in working class minority neighborhoods. Real easy to say "no risks in schools, open em up, #leanin" when your kids are going to school in the Annex, not in Jane and Finch.

That being said he's the poster child for "media training is important"/"you're right, you're just a dick"

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

EngineerJoe posted:

That didn't last long:

It's almost like there's a reason that people are trained and hired for the specific role of disseminating information to the public, and even more specifically for health communication.

I'll admit that that communication is generally not flawless either but jesus christ. The genie can't be put back into the bottle and any retractions are just more evidence for the conspiracy theorists.

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

Isentropy posted:

If it's the specific Chatelaine writer I'm thinking of, he was rudely saying "of course transmission happens in schools, how is COVID not like every other airborne transmitted disease" and being called every name under the sun for not appreciating the concerns of working mothers.

And making this about WOC issue is disingenuous when you look at what the positivity rates were like in working class minority neighborhoods. Real easy to say "no risks in schools, open em up, #leanin" when your kids are going to school in the Annex, not in Jane and Finch.

That being said he's the poster child for "media training is important"/"you're right, you're just a dick"

No it's not the Chatelaine writer at all. The working mom's argument, IMO, is overused by privileged parents who want schools open. It's a false dichotomy. Proper public health policy would take appropriate action when schools aren't safe and provide supports to those who can't work as a result.

He does have a massive privilege blindspot. For example, here is him not realizing that being able to take a day off work to get vaccinated early in the US is a privilege, even if you have to drive:

https://twitter.com/imgrund/status/1402490562285015040?s=20

There have been numerous problematic instances with WOC across the pandemic. For example, he was so problematic/harmful that even after speaking to to him privately that Dr. Amy Tan left a national collaboration.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/michaelhoffman/status/1406804592592142337?s=20
https://twitter.com/shoshannasaxe/status/1406933743101689858?s=20
https://twitter.com/Elise_ekd/status/1406818682525962243?s=20
https://twitter.com/rollforlearning/status/1406922340131344384?s=20

Goosed it. fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 21, 2021

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

EngineerJoe posted:

That didn't last long:

https://twitter.com/CityNews/status/1406942374098571270

The spread bad information on twitter -> TV talking head pipeline continues unabated

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

I'm Very Glad I'm Going To Be An Earl
Here with a few suggestions for the hold music in a few provincial call centers.

Emploi-Québec: Robert Charlebois' "Mon pays ce n'est pas un pays, c'est une job"
Conseil des arts et lettres du Québec (CALQ) : Patsy Gallant's "I'm a star in New York, I'm a star in LA" (which also happens to be sung to the tune of Gilles Vigneault's 'Mon pays').
Revenu Québec: Céline Dion's "Parler à mon père"

But of course we all know this will end up sounding like a watered down Putumayo Qc indie rock/folk Spotify playlist, prominently featuring like, Karkwa or les Soeurs Boulay or whatever.

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011
This was part of his response when initially called out....
https://twitter.com/FordTears/status/1406828582052245506?s=20

Also this:

https://twitter.com/Joyhenderson78/status/1406981745459740674?s=20
https://twitter.com/jkirbs7/status/1406980243588534273?s=20

Goosed it. fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jun 21, 2021

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Fidelitious posted:

It's almost like there's a reason that people are trained and hired for the specific role of disseminating information to the public, and even more specifically for health communication.

I'll admit that that communication is generally not flawless either but jesus christ. The genie can't be put back into the bottle and any retractions are just more evidence for the conspiracy theorists.

We're also seeing virologists in Canada start fighting with each other in public for not agreeing with the "mainstream" narrative that's been agreed upon by the health advisory committees: https://www.thestar.com/local-guelp...ine-safety.html

I have no opinion about whether Bridle is right or not, I don't have the education to remotely know, but the tension between virologists having immunization discussions in journals or conferences and virologists having immunization discussions in mass media is very relevant to this discussion.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

quote:

Speaking with Alex Pierson for an interview for AM640 in late May and in a document sent out via his university email address, Dr. Byram Bridle, a viral immunologist with the Ontario Veterinary College at the University of Guelph, said recent scientific studies point to potential harms caused by COVID-19 vaccines and that the federal government should stop giving shots to children before more studies can be done.

[...]

Bridle’s document adds that the seasonal flu is more likely to cause severe illness in youth.

So he's a veterinarian who cast doubt on COVID vaccines on a right wing talk station, then compared COVID to the flu? I'm not an expert either but I'm going to go ahead and disregard this guy.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The article being like "it's not certain yet whether this will include english-speaking or indigenous Quebecois" is absurd when any amount of thought would indicate it will absolutely exclude those groups because they're not really Quebecois. The CAQ have been extremely clear they do not consider a person Quebecois unless they're descended from the Catholic settlers of Nouveau France (I guess descendants of the Catholic refugees from Ireland count, too, at least here in Saguenay)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Another Bill posted:

So he's a veterinarian who cast doubt on COVID vaccines on a right wing talk station, then compared COVID to the flu? I'm not an expert either but I'm going to go ahead and disregard this guy.

The "colleges" at UofGuelph keep to their historical names due to how the university was founded, but actually do a lot of research and teaching outside of the strict meaning. (As an alumna, I took some women's studies courses that were actually under the umbrella of the Home Sciences college, even though they were rigorous sociology theory and methodology stuff.) Byram's research looks to be focused on humans: https://ovc.uoguelph.ca/pathobiology/people/faculty/Byram-W-Bridle

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

stop giving any of these attention seeking Twitter doctors the time of day

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Starks posted:

stop giving any of these attention seeking Twitter doctors the time of day

I read the thread a few times wondering why the gently caress I would care about "Ryan Imgrund" to start with and can't come up with anything.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

InfiniteZero posted:

I read the thread a few times wondering why the gently caress I would care about "Ryan Imgrund" to start with and can't come up with anything.

You should care about him because he's giving out advice on your local news channel and your family and friends might listen to him.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

EngineerJoe posted:

You should care about him because he's giving out advice on your local news channel and your family and friends might listen to him.

A great start to my Monday at work so far. Pharmacy phone is ringing off the hook with confused or angry people that caught the news this morning and I want to die.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Some days I think the internet was truly a mistake but the good generally outweighs the bad in how it can bring attention to proper causes and voices. Not this poo poo though.

I swear things feel a little better since CBC closed off FB comments. I hope they never open them again or at least heavily moderate them. Delete the loving crazies from spreading poison.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Vintersorg posted:

I swear things feel a little better since CBC closed off FB comments. I hope they never open them again or at least heavily moderate them. Delete the loving crazies from spreading poison.

The CBC should remove comments entirely. If somebody has something meaningful or funny to contribute, they can just submit an opinion column that is then printed with the writer's byline, photo, and contact information. If somebody wants to anonymously comment on an article there's always Reddit and other places (such as here) to do so that have varying degrees of standards.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

A bit of a late follow up, but thanks for the replies about LVT. It seems like the general consensus is that it's fine as an additional source of revenue and it might help moderate housing costs but it's a dumb idea to use it to replace other sources of revenue.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
Just got my second shot. I'm actually the last in my close friend group to do so, somehow.

Ontario needs like a good 2 weeks of second dosing and in a month I'll probably start thinking about going back to my local. Still going to wear a mask in big box stores, but going to switch back to the far more comfortable cloth masks I wore when it was less than 300 cases last summer.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I'm wondering what the numbers will look like in a month. I've gone to downtown Toronto a few nights this past week and there are no masks and no social distancing going on at any of the bars or restaurants. Yes, they're patio only but the patios are packed. I completely understand that everyone is excited to get back out but with second doses only starting to happen and the delta variant out in the wild I'm wondering if we'll see an uptick in cases.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Lets just say don't make any plans for summer or fall just yet.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm getting really tired of the suggestions by politicians that youth are somehow hesitant to get their vaccines so we need a lottery or some other form of incentive to make our dumb baby brains realize that the adults know best.

The reason youth vaccination numbers are lower has less to do with youth arrogance and assumed immunity and everything to do with younger people needing to wait their turn while older demographics got their shots first. So Legault can piss off with his patronizing answer regarding ways to convince the under 40s to get vaccinated. Most of them are still waiting for their chance.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
18 to 24 have crushed it in the Toronto and Peel health units, over 83 percent got first doses in each as of Friday. There's a significant drop off until you get to 50 years old, more like 70 at 25-29, 66 at 30-34.

Regardless, the zoomers are showing up.

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

I'm Very Glad I'm Going To Be An Earl

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The article being like "it's not certain yet whether this will include english-speaking or indigenous Quebecois" is absurd when any amount of thought would indicate it will absolutely exclude those groups because they're not really Quebecois. The CAQ have been extremely clear they do not consider a person Quebecois unless they're descended from the Catholic settlers of Nouveau France (I guess descendants of the Catholic refugees from Ireland count, too, at least here in Saguenay)

I think that's precisely what they mean to suggest, no? Pretty clearly making that exact point while phrasing it in a way that remains journalistically neutral in the eyes of their editors.

EDIT: For accuracy's sake, it needs to be said that the racism of institutionalized Qc culture is like a whole thing, but most people involved in it despise the CAQ. Also, the political makeup of the provincial civil service I'd venture has many more layers of both PQ-adjacent and defector folks than anything. Those gigantic institutional blind spots weren't exactly birthed in 2018.

Jam Band Death Cult fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jun 22, 2021

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

So I spent my entire day doing damage control because our media will give any chucklefuck air time to preach dumb bullshit and drive people into a frenzy.

And then I get even more mad at the complete lack of presence from the OPC and the soggy bloated bagel we elected premier because no one at any level knows what the gently caress is going on and cant be assed to try and put any kind of message out there other than "Its Trudeau's fault!"

Oh and the hundreds of vaccine shoppers from as far away as the GTA looking to get their second dose sooner because they are all suddenly able to travel.

Im just so tired.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
So, uh, can you book me an appointment or what?

Sorry buddy, that sounds like hell

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm getting really tired of the suggestions by politicians that youth are somehow hesitant to get their vaccines so we need a lottery or some other form of incentive to make our dumb baby brains realize that the adults know best.

The reason youth vaccination numbers are lower has less to do with youth arrogance and assumed immunity and everything to do with younger people needing to wait their turn while older demographics got their shots first. So Legault can piss off with his patronizing answer regarding ways to convince the under 40s to get vaccinated. Most of them are still waiting for their chance.

The other things that need doing:

1) More accessible sites. We saw this in Calgary: when you put a mass vaccination site very close to a community with low uptake, as if by a miracle, people start getting vaccinated!

2) Two consecutive paid days off, no questions asked, to receive a vaccine and recover from any side effects, for both doses.

Absolutely there are people who are anti-vaxx and won't be getting vaccinated no matter what you do, but if you have any areas/demographics that are specifically doing worse than the general assumed degree of anti-vaxx bullshit, you need to put on your thinking cap and start figuring out some solutions.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

The best bet for getting an appointment in Ontario (assuming you're eligible) is to scour the pharmacy appointment websites for Walmart, Sobeys and Costco. There's also a ton of independent ones that can be a pain to navigate. Also, get on the vaccine hunters discord so people can let you know when your local pharmacies have slots.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Furnaceface posted:

So I spent my entire day doing damage control because our media will give any chucklefuck air time to preach dumb bullshit and drive people into a frenzy.

And then I get even more mad at the complete lack of presence from the OPC and the soggy bloated bagel we elected premier because no one at any level knows what the gently caress is going on and cant be assed to try and put any kind of message out there other than "Its Trudeau's fault!"

Oh and the hundreds of vaccine shoppers from as far away as the GTA looking to get their second dose sooner because they are all suddenly able to travel.

Im just so tired.

What tv thing are you talking about? I thought it was the one posted on this page but he doesn’t mention vaccine mixing.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
I just booked my second dose for july 10 and gonna be done with it. That's early enough, I don't have the energy or time to be doing a vaccine scavenger hunt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

InfiniteZero posted:

Because the media loves promoting clout seeking "experts" that they find on twitter and helping them spread their misinformation. Imgrund is notable simply for his astronomical ego.

I think we'd all love to pretend they don't exist but these are the people that create fear around specific brands, vaccine mixing, and who knows what else. They spread non-peer-reviewed opinions, are generally only tangentially qualified to speak about vaccine science/public health, and have no clue about responsible health communications. But they're the ones the media talks to because it's easy access.