Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
I have no idea why they did their Path to Glory diary so dirty.

I was thinking about it, but it literally sounds like its just this:

and this:

Repeated multiple times. Four spreads for four different armies and 72 spreads for battles. That accounts for 150 of the 152 pages. And they just uploaded them online. You can literally just make this and, if my coolculations is correct, I can make my own with my own fonts and have it lulu'd to me for about the same price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

How are Sons of Behemat looking in the transition to 3.0? The sculpts are amazing and I've always been tempted at the back of my mind to pick one or two up just to paint them someday, but I'm curious if they're gonna be good enough to possibly turn into a side project army down the line.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Dominion's price and availability meant that our local AoS group convinced at least seven 40k players to take the plunge and start an AoS army. Hopefully, the new rules can keep them, a lot of the 40k guys complain about the double turn every single time we are playing AoS around them... without trying it when we offer a demo, of course.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

How are Sons of Behemat looking in the transition to 3.0? The sculpts are amazing and I've always been tempted at the back of my mind to pick one or two up just to paint them someday, but I'm curious if they're gonna be good enough to possibly turn into a side project army down the line.

I've been watching Heywoah's streams for the past couple days and his take is that they are the army that is best positioned going into 3.0, Mega-Gargants are now battleline, they now have a bunch of free rules thanks to having the monster keyword army wide and they do not care about coherency

he's actually almost talked himself into buying in to the army on his own but said he's gonna wait for the faq

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I bought a Mega-Gargant like four months ago to team up with my Orruk army, which is still unfinished, and never built it. Then when school let out a couple weeks ago, I bought another Mega-Gargant as a prize and built it that night. Two weeks later I have all six models for the army built (I guess seven if you count Kragnos) and zenithal primed.

Idk about playing them but they are fun as hell to put together. Takes no time at all and the build is just easy and fun.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Can we still ask questions about AoS 2.0 here? I'm playing a game this week-end but won't have received the books by then and, while we appreciate to have the possibility, we don't like playing with PDFs.

I'm going to play against the Nighthaunts with 1000 points of Ironjawz. This is the list I thought I'd use:

quote:

Leaders

Orruk Megaboss (140)
- General
- Armour of Gork
Orruk Warchanter (110)

Battleline

3 × Orruk Gore-gruntas (160)
20 × Orruk Ardboys (400)
5 × Orruk Brutes (130)

Total
990 / 1000

Extra Command Points

I wish I had room for a Shaman but I really want the Warchanter for the +1 Damage on the Boyz. I'm not exactly sure why I'm using the Brutes, but it "feels" better to pick them over a Shaman or a Battalion. Obviously I don't know what I'm doing, I played only 3 games before. :confused:

Any suggestion is welcome!

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Talas posted:

Dominion's price and availability meant that our local AoS group convinced at least seven 40k players to take the plunge and start an AoS army. Hopefully, the new rules can keep them, a lot of the 40k guys complain about the double turn every single time we are playing AoS around them... without trying it when we offer a demo, of course.

Well, good news for them - I've heard a couple people say AoS 3.0 is getting into the territory of 40K-lite now, with the changes. I have no idea if this is true or not, but if it is, I don't know how I feel about that. I like the two sharing a core, but I'm not at all keen on playing Warhammer: Age of 40K and only really seeing a change in army types (yes, I know it's not at that point - just saying I like the differentiation.)

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team

berzerkmonkey posted:

Well, good news for them - I've heard a couple people say AoS 3.0 is getting into the territory of 40K-lite now, with the changes. I have no idea if this is true or not, but if it is, I don't know how I feel about that. I like the two sharing a core, but I'm not at all keen on playing Warhammer: Age of 40K and only really seeing a change in army types (yes, I know it's not at that point - just saying I like the differentiation.)

They're definitely sharing design elements between the two games, but AoS still has unique elements, from the new Monster & Hero actions, to the way CP is gonna be handled. I think it's not a dumb idea to keep the two games relatively close in terms of basic gameplay rules, but I'm with you that it shouldn't devolve to the point where it's a choice of fantasy/sci-fi skin on top of the same game. Although... it might be fun to just gently caress around running an AoS army against a 40K army. Minus the shooting.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

berzerkmonkey posted:

Sadly, that was one of the things that attracted some of them to the new rules. Well, that and space-marine exhaustion...

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

The new stormcast sculpts are fantastic

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I find it kinda funny because 40k became AoS+ first.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I find it kinda funny because 40k became AoS+ first.

The newest edition of each seems to borrow from the other. You could see AoS influences in 8e and 9e 40k just like you can see 40k influences in AoS 3e.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It would be weirder if the folks writing the games didn’t take influence from their work on the other.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Sneak peak at some new SCE points from their (presumed) new battletome, along with a hint at a new battleline unit called Vanquishers. Notably, Sequitors no longer have a Lord Arcanum as general requirement to be battleline.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Furism posted:

Can we still ask questions about AoS 2.0 here? I'm playing a game this week-end but won't have received the books by then and, while we appreciate to have the possibility, we don't like playing with PDFs.

I'm going to play against the Nighthaunts with 1000 points of Ironjawz. This is the list I thought I'd use:

I wish I had room for a Shaman but I really want the Warchanter for the +1 Damage on the Boyz. I'm not exactly sure why I'm using the Brutes, but it "feels" better to pick them over a Shaman or a Battalion. Obviously I don't know what I'm doing, I played only 3 games before. :confused:

Any suggestion is welcome!

For a 1000 point game it works I would say.

Anisotropic Shader
Nov 25, 2005

You're talkin' about what would basically be the most important model train layout of all time you realize.
I've not -played- a GW game since 3rd edition 40k, but a few years ago I started picking up cheap minis online and painting them for fun alongside a Bolt Action force, but the gradual improvements to AoS have lured me into making some... foolish purchase decisions: but I'm not sure what to do!

Is it true that Ogor Mawtribes are sort of shafted by the new edition? I bought the Meatgrinder Warglut battleforce at Christmas because I wanted to play an army of fat, naked dudes who just sort of smashed indiscriminately through people, devouring them as they went. I've picked up Dominion because I'm a weak-willed sheep who can't be trusted with money and I liked all the sculpts.

I'd love to run a Cities of Sigmar army with the new Stormcast - and it does seem that the 'Knights of Sigmar' are on the horizon as a possible mortal human faction? I'm a little uncertain though - I'd much rather have the old Empire aesthetic and an "Imperial Guard with Space Marine support" feel to my army. But that's likely way off in the future!

The new orruks seem fun too - I much prefer more lightly armoured orcs supported by runts a la the old Orcs & Goblins WFH army. But from what I've read the hobgoblins are trash? I suppose I could run a bunch of night goblins as allies instead though!

But back to the ogres - I really like their theme/feel/lore and think it'd be boss to ally them up with a bunch of trolls: use some green stuff to smooth away their eyes and paint them up as subterranean troglodytes with pallid skin relying on their predatory sense of smell to bear down on their prey - get the rock trolls painted as albinos with the rock bludgeons as salt crystals!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Ogors got pretty big price bumps except for Thundertusks, but they didn’t get any stat changes. With the new tricks for priests, I’m actually thinking of running a Thundertusk over two Stonehorns, myself. Gonna be a bit before I’m sure how the points increases shake out, though - with almost everyone getting them across the board, and the general shrinking of unit sizes overall, I don’t think our good big boys will be particularly weak.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Deified Data posted:

Sneak peak at some new SCE points from their (presumed) new battletome, along with a hint at a new battleline unit called Vanquishers. Notably, Sequitors no longer have a Lord Arcanum as general requirement to be battleline.

The lack of Vanguard-Hunters with the rest of the battleline makes me think they could be renamed.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

It would be weirder if the folks writing the games didn’t take influence from their work on the other.

As long as they don't take the bad parts I see no problem with it.

Like the double-turn.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Its simply streamlining by having the one roll that dictates whether or not you will win the game happen at the beginning of the match instead of between turns.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Talas posted:

It's a good starter set, I'm not much into the competitive scene but I love the narrative play domain rules, especially since they can be played at different scales. I'm running Soulbound this weds to see if our group likes it, and if they do, I'm going to do a Soulbound-but-with-AoS-Campaign-Rules mixture. It'll be an interesting experiment. I have about 1k points of Skaven, so 1k Orks and 1k Sotrmcasts means there's gonna be a lot of hope for variety. Now I gotta make a terrain board. Although, Mors Rattus - you said you bought two, do you need two sets of boards or would you be fine with the two pack?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Two sets of boards are so I have enough for 2000 point play. One set is sufficient for 1000 points.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mors Rattus posted:

Two sets of boards are so I have enough for 2000 point play. One set is sufficient for 1000 points.

Yeah got another set of boards myself. I have a fair amount of terrain so I should be good.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Okay, yeah. I was confused, I thought the 44x60 board was enough for 2000 point play, because the description says

quote:

The boards are made of thick, durable card with reinforced folds to ensure excellent condition even after frequent use. Each board measures 22.4" x 30" and can be folded into eighths for easy storage in the included sleeve.

Thanks though.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency

JBP posted:

Awesome! They're super weird in the context of AOS but annihilating someone's favourite beat stick unit or monster in a hail of gunfire just never gets old.

I think that's what drew them to me to start off with. Just weird technology and steampunk tech in the realms of high fantasy. Always does it for me. Never really into Dwarrrdin at all, but KO are a different beast altogether.

Skaven are a close second, and I'm sure I'll be fielding a big army of those ratty bois soon for the same reasons as I chose to follow KO. Stupid weird tech in a fantasy setting.

I heard of someone running a Sons of Behamet army as all Kaiju and I've never been more interested in anything tbh.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Okay, yeah. I was confused, I thought the 44x60 board was enough for 2000 point play, because the description says

Thanks though.

Well with two 22 x 30 boards you can only make a 44 x 30 which is the 1000 point size.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well with two 22 x 30 boards you can only make a 44 x 30 which is the 1000 point size.

Oh I see. Thanks friend

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
I hope to get in a game this week with the new rules and I think I'm going to run this. I used the values from that spreadsheet with all the changes on it so I hope its right. I'm not too sure on how the points change as you reinforce a unit but I'll get to it.

HQ:
Grey Seer on Bell: 265
Spiteclaw: 120
Engineer: 125

Troops:
Clanrats 40 Spears: 260
Clanrats 20 Swords: 130
Stormvermin 30 Halberds: 330?
Gutter runners 10 rats 130

Doomwheel: 165
Warp Cannon: 185
Hellpit 240

This is mostly a motley collection of what I have that is mostly painted. I just finished the Hellpit and I've been wanting to use him for a while now. So if I'm doing this right, I've used a reinforcement point for both the clanrats and the gutterrunners, and Ive used 2 on the stormvermin. I'm not sure the point cost is right as I just tripled their cost.

The general thought being the Bell walks the rats up the board with the 40 unit on one flank and stormvermin on the other. The 20 clanrats screen the stormvermin and its worked well in the past to make sure I can get the charge off. The Engineer and the Warp Cannon form a healthy relationship while the Doomwheel tries to watch a flank. I've never used the Hellpit before but I'm excited to see how they do, and how it will probably fail spectacularly. The gutter runners are there to go after objectives and genuinely be annoying. I wish I had the points to stick an assassin with them but cest la vie.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
Looks correct to me, and a nice "little bit of everything" list that Skaven are good at. I am worried about the restrictions on reinforcement numbers in Skaven units, but that's our book being super old, design has changed since it was made, and the errata here and there doesn't really fix core abilities. I might suggest a weapon team if you have one, they seem much better now that they can't just be sniped out turn 1.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Warpfire teams especially are really good now if you can get them in position for Unleash Hell.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
This new edition stuff has piqued my interest - back in WHFB (mid 90s) I mainly played skellies led by vampires or clown Nagash. I also started collecting up goblins but never really got very far with that. How do those factions hold up these days?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Vampires plus skellies is an entire vamp subfaction these days. Gloomspite is your main go-to for goblins now and the new changes have made it unclear how they’re going to shake out - there’s going to be experimentation now that they can5 just stack to hit mods. I expect them to roll heavier magic and use endless spells more.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Yeah the two key changes are buffing and reinforcement. Buffing is "Only +1 to hit/wound", but reinforcement is how much you can stack models. So a unit that is 10 to 30 works by buying 10, then spending a reinforcement to buy another 10. You only get so many of those per size of the game you are playing. Beyond that they are super fun armies with a bunch of characters and neat models. People can debate the true tactical viability of bone mens versus zombies or wolves or whatever, but a dumptruck full of Grave Guard is still going to be a real loving bad time for someone facing them.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Goblins have been near the bottom of the heap for the entirety of AoS unfortunately, and it doesn't seem like that's likely to change with 3.0, but they are fun and have some amazing models now.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Weapons Teams can also be hidden in other units as of Kragnos.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Crazy Ferret posted:

I hope to get in a game this week with the new rules and I think I'm going to run this. I used the values from that spreadsheet with all the changes on it so I hope its right. I'm not too sure on how the points change as you reinforce a unit but I'll get to it.

HQ:
Grey Seer on Bell: 265
Spiteclaw: 120
Engineer: 125

Troops:
Clanrats 40 Spears: 260
Clanrats 20 Swords: 130
Stormvermin 30 Halberds: 330?
Gutter runners 10 rats 130

Doomwheel: 165
Warp Cannon: 185
Hellpit 240

This is mostly a motley collection of what I have that is mostly painted. I just finished the Hellpit and I've been wanting to use him for a while now. So if I'm doing this right, I've used a reinforcement point for both the clanrats and the gutterrunners, and Ive used 2 on the stormvermin. I'm not sure the point cost is right as I just tripled their cost.

The general thought being the Bell walks the rats up the board with the 40 unit on one flank and stormvermin on the other. The 20 clanrats screen the stormvermin and its worked well in the past to make sure I can get the charge off. The Engineer and the Warp Cannon form a healthy relationship while the Doomwheel tries to watch a flank. I've never used the Hellpit before but I'm excited to see how they do, and how it will probably fail spectacularly. The gutter runners are there to go after objectives and genuinely be annoying. I wish I had the points to stick an assassin with them but cest la vie.

If you're gonna run Spiteclaw as is and not proxy him as a clawlord add his minions. No reason not to, they're free!

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

If you're gonna run Spiteclaw as is and not proxy him as a clawlord add his minions. No reason not to, they're free!

I was planning to, but that is a good reminder to actually include his little gang into my roster lest I forget. Also, I love the rat sergeant's name is Krrk the Almost-trusted. High praise in the skaven world.

It is almost a shame to use them as their own little gang, its not its actually adorable, since I like having their models at the front of the clanrat blocks for looks.

Thanks for the list advice ya'll.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Goblins have been near the bottom of the heap for the entirety of AoS unfortunately

Troggs or bust.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Injuryprone posted:

Troggs or bust.

They were almost good and then 3.0 blew up all the battalions, including the one that made them playable :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
lol at broken realms having battalions be the only content some armies got and then immediately throwing them in the trash in the next edition