Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

so bolted from the outside. Would be easy enough to stick some double-ended bolts on the side rails, though personally I'd probably fill the holes with some dowels and install these instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Goosey Lee posted:

Oak I can get! That’s a relief; thanks goons.

1/4” holes, call it 4” square, all the way through, unthreaded. Only the inner set looks like it’s been used much or ever… I’ll have some measuring to do once this lands in the shop.

Yah unless someone remembers there being other parts like side rails or a footboard, I’m pretty sure that was always just a headboard that bolted to a standard metal bed frame. The second set of holes is probably so it could be used on either a Queen or double.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Went back to my new favorite local tree lumberyard. Got $70 worth of quartersawn white oak to start a bed for my daughter (should be enough for the headboard and footboard, can't fit enough for the whole bed in the hatchback).

Also picked up $8 worth of black locust just to play around with. It is really boring looking right now but it's supposed to age into a really beautiful rich brown. Just now I read this article from American Society of Landscape Architects arguing that black locust should be used as a sustainable domestic substitute for ipe. I can believe it, that poo poo is dense. Since osage orange seems to be in short supply, I think black locust will be on my list of things to make adirondack chairs out of.

I am going to have so much goddamn wood by the end of the summer.
Black locust is tough as poo poo indeed. Someone itt (Hypnolobster maybe?) has done a lot with it. There’s some bug that gets in the trees and degrades the lumber quality in a lot of the US and I think that’s part of why it doesn’t get planted/harvested very extensively and is mostly only available at small mills in areas where it grows naturally.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Rebuilding a rudder for a friends tiny sailboat.
Got some admittedly very drippy coats of epoxy on it, no big deal. Time to put some spar on it to protect from UV. Four hour recoat time? Sounds great, knock the rest of this out in an afternoon.

But of course thanks to humidity it’s taking 12-14 hours for each coat to dry. And I can only do one side at a time. And I can’t do anything else in my shop because I don’t want to kick up dust.

Wishing I’d brought this thing in the house to put finish on, god drat.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Yah unless someone remembers there being other parts like side rails or a footboard, I’m pretty sure that was always just a headboard that bolted to a standard metal bed frame. The second set of holes is probably so it could be used on either a Queen or double.

Black locust is tough as poo poo indeed. Someone itt (Hypnolobster maybe?) has done a lot with it. There’s some bug that gets in the trees and degrades the lumber quality in a lot of the US and I think that’s part of why it doesn’t get planted/harvested very extensively and is mostly only available at small mills in areas where it grows naturally.

I just searched the thread and learned that black locust glows under UV light! My first project for it was making a frame for a wall map in my daughters' bedroom.

I'm not going to tell them about this. They'll find out some day, and it will be awesome.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Sockser posted:

Rebuilding a rudder for a friends tiny sailboat.
Got some admittedly very drippy coats of epoxy on it, no big deal. Time to put some spar on it to protect from UV. Four hour recoat time? Sounds great, knock the rest of this out in an afternoon.

But of course thanks to humidity it’s taking 12-14 hours for each coat to dry. And I can only do one side at a time. And I can’t do anything else in my shop because I don’t want to kick up dust.

Wishing I’d brought this thing in the house to put finish on, god drat.
I just did exactly this and yeah, it sucks. I can spray 6 coats of lacquer in a day easy, but it was like, 3 coats a week of varnish with the humidity, and even when it was ‘dry’ it still really clogged up sandpaper. 1/5 stars would not recommend.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Why are glue ups always too exciting? (because I don't plan and Just Send It)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
In the future, you might consider using cauls to keep the tabletop flat, instead of those clamps that you have directly on the glue line. The cauls will distribute clamping force more evenly. You can make them out of any straight piece of wood, just put some packing tape on it so glue doesn't stick to it.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!
I did desk mortises today and used my favorite router jig which may help someone: it's a massive block of scrap (in this case, leftover Ikea countertop) with a bunch of dovetail grooves for microijg clamps in either direction, 2 t-tracks and a big groove for a router edge guide with a block screwed onto it and some stop blocks. It's useful for all kinds of things, can hold boards on edge, and is really useful as a mortising jig since you just need to set it up once, do all your mortises, then flip the stop block on the face of the jig where the piece registers against to do the other side (to keep the reference sides all facing the same direction). You can also put stops on the top t-track instead to get a larger mortise.

The last picture with just a scribbled mortise is to tell me which side is the reference side, and which side of the leg to mortise, with the jig already set up, the edge guide at the desired distance, and the stop block in place to keep the mortises vertically consistent.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
After much procrastination, I finished a pencil box for one of my nieces.

There's a few thing that aren't straight and there's some gaps. The drawer fits surprisingly tight, but it's been getting stuck since I put on lacquer, so I still need to work on that.

Now to make two more for her sisters! Hopefully those go faster.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I made a tapered barrel. It was actually easier than I thought it would be!

6 degree cut on each side for 12 degrees overall for 30 staves makes 360 degrees.

Big part of why I did so many small (1 7/8" sq) staves was so I could have straight quartered/rift grain all around since one face of a 2x2 rip of an 8/4 board will be quartered-ish

Lots of packing tape. It needed even more packing tape.

It's about 18" diameter at the bottom and 14" at the top, so like 5' of staves. Really floppy and heavy and hard to get from laying flat to standing up without it all coming untaped (it still needs more packing tape)

Looks neat on the inside though:

One of the jigs I used to cut the taper (they are tapered along their length by a degree or two, and then also the taper to make them pieces of the pie) wasn't set up right and was leaving a flat on the edge that turned into a gap, so I had to run them all on the joiner, which made them a little too small and I had to add a filler piece.

I used some ratchet straps for clamps, but really the tape did most of the work and it came out better than I expected-everything looks really tight.

The best part? It's the wrong size, lol. Anyone need two tapered, coopered, rift sawn ash table bases?

Discomancer posted:

I did desk mortises today and used my favorite router jig which may help someone: it's a massive block of scrap (in this case, leftover Ikea countertop) with a bunch of dovetail grooves for microijg clamps in either direction, 2 t-tracks and a big groove for a router edge guide with a block screwed onto it and some stop blocks. It's useful for all kinds of things, can hold boards on edge, and is really useful as a mortising jig since you just need to set it up once, do all your mortises, then flip the stop block on the face of the jig where the piece registers against to do the other side (to keep the reference sides all facing the same direction). You can also put stops on the top t-track instead to get a larger mortise.

The last picture with just a scribbled mortise is to tell me which side is the reference side, and which side of the leg to mortise, with the jig already set up, the edge guide at the desired distance, and the stop block in place to keep the mortises vertically consistent.

I'm always so jealous of people who make real, nice jigs. Mine are all just janky scraps of plywood screwed together to do exactly 1 thing and then I inevitably recycle them into a different jig and wish I still had the original.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

The best part? It's the wrong size, lol. Anyone need two tapered, coopered, rift sawn ash table bases?

The wrong size for what?? Seems like with that much effort they're the right size, and your other pieces are the wrong size.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I turned my first bowl blank! And then gave up and turned another!

The piece on the left is a chunk of firewood from our pile. Turns out it's white oak and extremely hard. Not fun.

On the right is a chunk of apple that a buddy gave me a while back. Super beginner friendly. It's rough turned and now has to dry for a few weeks and then can be shaped again.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

NomNomNom posted:

The piece on the left is a chunk of firewood from our pile. Turns out it's white oak and extremely hard. Not fun.

On the right is a chunk of apple that a buddy gave me a while back. Super beginner friendly. It's rough turned and now has to dry for a few weeks and then can be shaped again.

That's surprising, because apple is terribly hard, but has a really tight grain. White oak seems like it would be terrible for turning with all those pores and growth rings wanting to tear out. That apple bowl looks really nice, and I just love the grain you get from apple.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

NomNomNom posted:

The wrong size for what?? Seems like with that much effort they're the right size, and your other pieces are the wrong size.
Really the table is probably too narrow to have bases like this, but nobody realized it until I made the bases, lol. I made the base of the bases half the width of the table top (18" on a 36" top) because that's an okay rule of thumb ime, buuuuut that doesn't really leave much knee room there-only 9". 10" is really the minimum and and like 14" is better. I was kicking myself for not making a model, but I'm not really sure I would have caught it even if I had. I can shave an inch off the bases and we can make the top a few inches wider and I think it'll be okay but it was a major :doh: followed by panic moment for me.

NomNomNom posted:

That's really neat. I keep meaning to try bowl turning sometime. Oak can be a bitch to turn spindle turning, I can't imagine how much worse it must be for bowl turning.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I'm also just terrible, and I kinda went in blind with no instruction so that didn't help anything. I watched a video before trying the apple.

The apple is very green and wet so I'm sure that helps a ton.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Really the table is probably too narrow to have bases like this, but nobody realized it until I made the bases, lol. I made the base of the bases half the width of the table top (18" on a 36" top) because that's an okay rule of thumb ime, buuuuut that doesn't really leave much knee room there-only 9". 10" is really the minimum and and like 14" is better. I was kicking myself for not making a model, but I'm not really sure I would have caught it even if I had. I can shave an inch off the bases and we can make the top a few inches wider and I think it'll be okay but it was a major :doh: followed by panic moment for me.

p sure the first rule of amateur woodworking is you make the thing first and figure out what it's good for later

c.f. the single-serving jellybean humidor

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

That's actually a pretty good ratio, imo, except for knees. Aright, so here's what you do. *Leaves blank space*

Cut them in 3rds, no, make that quarters, throw away the middle 2 parts or recycle them. Make new center parts that taper from both sides like an hourglass, then biscuit or tenon or w/e the 3 pieces together to form an hourglass shape for the legs. Then maybe smooth and round that. That should take roughly 3-4 times the labor you've already spent. But a cool concept piece with kneeroom.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Couldn’t you just turn them into really kick rear end side tables instead? My grandmother had a really cool and totally janky side table with a base like that. It was my favorite piece in the house.

Unless you find a way to use them of course, and then at least you know how to make barrels.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

The best part? It's the wrong size, lol.

Ohhhh nooooooooooo

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jhet posted:

Couldn’t you just turn them into really kick rear end side tables instead? My grandmother had a really cool and totally janky side table with a base like that. It was my favorite piece in the house.

Unless you find a way to use them of course, and then at least you know how to make barrels.
I really don’t love doing all this contemporary stuff because it’s just not my style at all, but I do learn new stuff and that’s fun! It seems like they’ll be salvageable but I did instantly start thinking of different things to do with them and making 2 round tables was top of the list, and potentially much more profitable as well. Or cutting each base in half and making some low coffee tables. Or what Mr. Mambold suggested. Honestly now that I’ve figured out the jigs (which are not at all complicated) and the process, they’re really pretty easy and I think potentially pretty popular. I made all the parts for these in 5 or 6 hours and it’s like 25bf of lumber in each one. I have to make another pair of (smaller) bases for another table anyway and I’m thinking of making an extra base to make a round table and maybe I’ll actually figure out Etsy?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Just huck an entire tree trunk into the lathe :shrug:

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Are you a trunk hucker, OP?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Mr. Mambold posted:

Are you a trunk hucker, OP?
I’m not a trunk hucker,
Im trunk hucker’s son,
And I’ll keep on hucking trunks,
Til the trunk hucking’s done

I wish my lathe were big enough to huck trunks into, but it only has about 10” of swing :(

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I'm trying to re-use some table legs. How do I remove this bolt?

Here's what it looks like on the other side. What kind of trickery did the furniture builder use to insert this threaded bolt? Does it have a standard capped end, or can I back it out with some vise-grips?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

If it’s threaded all the way, you can try putting two nuts on, tightening them against each other, and then wrenching against the inner one. But it may also be glued in in addition to any threads.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

melon cat posted:

I'm trying to re-use some table legs. How do I remove this bolt?

Here's what it looks like on the other side. What kind of trickery did the furniture builder use to insert this threaded bolt? Does it have a standard capped end, or can I back it out with some vise-grips?

I've used the vise grip option before.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Vise grips are the best option. It’s called a hanger bolt if you ever need another one. Very common on factory stuff.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Start with two nuts if you have two nuts that fit.
If you don't, vise grips.
When it just rounds off the threads around the vise grips, grip the end of the bolt with something and try to bend it into an L shape so you'll have something to grab and leverage against. This won't work.
Then, consider welding something, but remember that the bolt would burn the wood. Get out some 2-part epoxy and mix it up and then decide that you'll need to clean the bolt threads before you apply it, and then gently caress around trying to clean them with sandpaper and then a wire brush and then realize your epoxy is already dried. Get some more epoxy mixed up and epoxy a nut that is too big for the bolt to it. Wait 19 hours. Grip that nut with a big adjustable wrench and shear the bolt off flush with the wood.
Now, get a screw extractor, hammer it into the remains of the bolt, and snap it off in the bolt. Also note the growing crack in the wood. Consider drilling out the bolt from the other side, and finally realize that your new table will be just fine 2" shorter than the old table and just cut off the end of the leg, bolt and all. Do that to the other three legs, and then realize you used one edge of the tapered leg and cut 90 degrees to it resulting in an angled cut. Try to sand it back to square, tearing out chunks of the edge with the sander and leaving a rounded top. Get out a saw and cut it back to square, do the other four legs, and then proceed with your approximately 4" shorter table project.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

You okay, buddy? Need a hug?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

TBH I'd just skip right to "hacksaw it off flush with the leg, remember not to put fasteners in line with it."

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!

Leperflesh posted:

Start with two nuts if you have two nuts that fit.
If you don't, vise grips.
When it just rounds off the threads around the vise grips, grip the end of the bolt with something and try to bend it into an L shape so you'll have something to grab and leverage against. This won't work.
Then, consider welding something, but remember that the bolt would burn the wood. Get out some 2-part epoxy and mix it up and then decide that you'll need to clean the bolt threads before you apply it, and then gently caress around trying to clean them with sandpaper and then a wire brush and then realize your epoxy is already dried. Get some more epoxy mixed up and epoxy a nut that is too big for the bolt to it. Wait 19 hours. Grip that nut with a big adjustable wrench and shear the bolt off flush with the wood.
Now, get a screw extractor, hammer it into the remains of the bolt, and snap it off in the bolt. Also note the growing crack in the wood. Consider drilling out the bolt from the other side, and finally realize that your new table will be just fine 2" shorter than the old table and just cut off the end of the leg, bolt and all. Do that to the other three legs, and then realize you used one edge of the tapered leg and cut 90 degrees to it resulting in an angled cut. Try to sand it back to square, tearing out chunks of the edge with the sander and leaving a rounded top. Get out a saw and cut it back to square, do the other four legs, and then proceed with your approximately 4" shorter table project.

same

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Got some free cherry from a tree getting cut down on my street today

Made another rough cut bowl

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Ever get to the point where you’re dry fitting all your joinery and you discover you’re 1/8” off on one axis that makes something else not fit at all? Yep.

At least it’s 1/8” long and not short.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Jhet posted:

Ever get to the point where you’re dry fitting all your joinery and you discover you’re 1/8” off on one axis that makes something else not fit at all? Yep.
Having that problem right now.

quote:

At least it’s 1/8” long and not short.

:negative:

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Needs finish. But it all fits together and is the right size now.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Looks great and definitely sturdy!

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
I need to admit that my old battery operated, inherited circular saw is too weak for what I want. Struggles with 3/8 inch plywood and 3/4 inch hardwood. But there are options with different use cases that I do not fully understand. I could get a circular saw, miter saw, tablesaw, or maybe something else.

If I am doing wood working as a hobby with some home improvement (like boxes, playing with patterned plywood, maybe moulding), but not making furniture, which one would best suit me?

Also I grabbed a copy of "Understand Wood Finishing" by Flexner... I did not expect to read so much of that book in a single sitting. Would echo the recommendation.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Get a cheap miter saw. I know you said one, but you can also get a cheap circular saw. If you want to do anything that involves rip cuts, you'll probably want a table saw at some point, but I don't recommend getting a cheap crappy one. If you want a table saw in the future, spend some decent money on it.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

You're not getting an even vaguely acceptable table saw in the same price and space ballpark as the others. Miter saws are extremely specific in what they do and by no means a 'one tool'. Of your options a circular saw is the closest to making sense but really for what you're doing a scroll or jigsaw will afford you a lot more flexibility

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Serenade posted:

I need to admit that my old battery operated, inherited circular saw is too weak for what I want. Struggles with 3/8 inch plywood and 3/4 inch hardwood. But there are options with different use cases that I do not fully understand. I could get a circular saw, miter saw, tablesaw, or maybe something else.

If I am doing wood working as a hobby with some home improvement (like boxes, playing with patterned plywood, maybe moulding), but not making furniture, which one would best suit me?

Also I grabbed a copy of "Understand Wood Finishing" by Flexner... I did not expect to read so much of that book in a single sitting. Would echo the recommendation.

I never use my circular saws (I have two, a more convenient $50 Porter Cable and a heavy wood eating beast Skil 77 worm drive) for woodworking and I often use it for home improvement. The only real overlap is either breaking down plywood for a cabinet back or making deck furniture out of pressure treated pine.

I use my miter saw for molding when I get tired of coping by hand.

I use my table saw a LOT for both.

I use my tenon saw a LOT for hobby woodworking.