Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Glumwheels posted:

so it was probably a really good number

A good enough number. I doubt they'd ever get less waiting until the review date

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
That may explain why every seller whose house we looked at absolutely did not entertain early offers. Caused some anxiety as the two houses we had eyes on had offer dates a week apart and were expected to accept an offer same-day. We went with the first one, no regerts.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

spwrozek posted:

I decided to go with a slightly more expensive local person vs the online folks. Maybe not worth the extra cost but probably worth it for my sanity. Begin the house money pit.

We will see what happens. Two other folks trying to buy this weekend offered on places with 5+ others (and they lost).

Do consider they are just as likely to gently caress up. And if you’re talking even like .15% that is an enormous amount of money over 30 years.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Do consider they are just as likely to gently caress up. And if you’re talking even like .15% that is an enormous amount of money over 30 years.

Same rate but about $1500 more in closing. Still dumb but what can you do, houses are not sound financial decisions.

Also if I was truly smart I would never leave my one bedroom apartment soooooo.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Tyro posted:

Hell yeah sounds like I bought at the peak.

Same here. Living the god damned millennial dream.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Nybble posted:

Generally the housing market tapers off around now in a regular year, but who knows.

Define "tapers off"? In our market sales are gangbusters July, August, then new listings fall off a cliff after labor day. We haven't even begun to hit peak season here on the west coast

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Welp. Under contract. God help me. We beat out 12 other offers by coming in at 12% over list. Our new neighbors will love us because we're increased their property values with our offer.

The combination of having extremely specific tastes and it being a sellers' market are working against us.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Hadlock posted:

Define "tapers off"? In our market sales are gangbusters July, August, then new listings fall off a cliff after labor day. We haven't even begun to hit peak season here on the west coast

Overall it seems like the peak of “newly listed” is May, but the active listings on the market don’t dip until Fall. https://www.realtor.com/research/may-2021-data/

Granted, like last year, we still aren’t seeing anywhere close to the “normal” number of homes being listed this year, so maybe there are still yet many homes to come online this year, especially with the rise in median prices.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Nybble posted:

Overall it seems like the peak of “newly listed” is May, but the active listings on the market don’t dip until Fall. https://www.realtor.com/research/may-2021-data/

That is a national trend. I wouldn't be surprised if the peak here was after may because schools aren't even out until june. Meanwhile, where I used to live, school got out in april/may.

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life
Under contract. Was supposed to close on the 15th. But apparently Eversource is dragging their feet with getting the electricity hooked up to the building (it’s a new construction townhouse unit of 4 homes). Closing delayed two weeks until 29th. Apparently that will be delayed too. Feeling kinda powerless!

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Marklar posted:

Feeling kinda powerless!

👨‍🍳👌💋

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
We've owned this house for :checks calendar: 91 days and my mortgage just got sold. :toot:

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Maggie Fletcher posted:

We've owned this house for :checks calendar: 91 days and my mortgage just got sold. :toot:

A lot of originators immediately sell the loan as part of their regular business. Redfin Mortgage for example services none of the loans they originate, I mean I guess they do for a couple days but it's immediately sold before the first due date.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Maggie Fletcher posted:

We closed in mid-April and ours was sold within two weeks of moving in (we gave the sellers a couple weeks of rent back, so within a month).

We had the same lender on our previous home and they didn’t sell it until we were three years in, but then decided not to because we were notified of the sale the week everything shut down due to COVID, so I assume the deal fell apart.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
I have just graduated from the home buying thread to the home ownership thread. Thank you to everyone who posts advice here.

The sellers successfully tricked us by not cleaning and not replacing the carpets like they said they would (and the contact says they would). So I get to deal with that. Otherwise, I'm feeling simultaneously terrified and exhilarated!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Maggie Fletcher posted:

We haven't even made our first payment yet and ours was sold twice.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
If it doesn’t cost you extra you should try to borrow from a bank that retains servicing after selling the loan to investors. It’s a much better experience.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Ours was sold to Chase within the first two weeks after closing. Their site for mortgage management is roughly 1000x better so kinda hoping it stays there.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Dik Hz posted:

Welp. Under contract. God help me. We beat out 12 other offers by coming in at 12% over list. Our new neighbors will love us because we're increased their property values with our offer.

Are you planning on getting an appraisal?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

B-Nasty posted:

Can't get a mortgage without one. Hopefully the incompetence will go in my favor this time. I'm 1-2 lifetime. Hopefully this will bring me back to .500

The house got 13 offers, so one would imagine that an average of the offers, or the second highest offer would be a good determinant of resale value. But, the bank has other ideas.

Dik Hz fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jun 22, 2021

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
man this thread has turned. Used to be a constant stream of "lol got outbid again" and now it's "under contract" and "closing soon!"

B-Nasty posted:

:drat:

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

DaveSauce posted:

man this thread has turned. Used to be a constant stream of "lol got outbid again" and now it's "under contract" and "closing soon!"

:drat:

I mean I was one of those for a few months until my 4th offer got accepted.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
so at the moment, I'm evaluating the decision to invent some money into my house (it only has one bathroom, and we have some quotes on expanding) or selling and moving.

I'm curious how the concept of "make an offer on a house contingent on selling my existing house." I have enough equity on my house to make a 20% down payment on a house that about fits what we want, but of course I don't have cash in hand until I sell. So what happens? I sign a contract with a seller, get financing, etc, and then wait until I accept an offer, and all three of us are at the closing table together and we close both at the same time and I just pass a check from my buyer to the other seller?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hadlock posted:

In my area it seems to be all spring and summer for single family homes. People who have a choice and need a home of that size probably have children they want to keep in the same school district for a school year. So in normal times you see a rush basically until it's too late to close for September for that type of home.

Maggie Fletcher posted:

My last mortgage didn't quite make it to the first payment, then it was sold again about 6-ish months later. Gotta love this industry.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

therobit posted:

If it doesn’t cost you extra you should try to borrow from a bank that retains servicing after selling the loan to investors. It’s a much better experience.

We were prepared to deal with loan sales, no big deal, but it was a pleasant surprise that we get to keep using the same servicer (lucky since I just set up e-payments, gently caress CHECKS FOREVER), since "Freddie Mac doesn't service mortgages," apparently.

The 91 days I mentioned was from closing to notification of the sale. It was actually less than 60 days. I just found out yesterday.

And I guess obsessing over my credit score may be helping (I hope), because I just got an offer to refinance a significant chunk of private student loans from a current provider that is giving me my lowest interest rate out of 4. I'm really hoping I can consolidate these into a loan with a much lower rate. I wasn't planning on applying for any credit for awhile after the house purchase, but rates are pretty low for refinancing right now, and I could get some rates down from 8% to below 4. It's in process now. Fingers crossed!

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
We found a local credit union for our old place that didn't sell our mortgage to anyone for ten years. We didn't even shop around when looking for financing this time, we just used the same lender. Dave. Nice guy. It was 100% worth it to shop local for the mortgage.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Thankfully our original lender will service the payments despite who owns our mortgage which is nice. The two notifications we got indicated that nothing will change on our end.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
Hello house-buying thread, I'm also being stupid and in the process of buying my first house during this inflated time. Currently under contract, waiting for the appraisal to come back to see if I got screwed over or not and need to pay more at closing. It is A Lot of anxiety, words, numbers, and people to talk to and got that little voice asking if it was all a mistake.

If it all ends well I'll have a cute little place with a cute little yard and an awesome shower in the main bathroom.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

KariOhki posted:

Hello house-buying thread, I'm also being stupid and in the process of buying my first house during this inflated time. Currently under contract, waiting for the appraisal to come back to see if I got screwed over or not and need to pay more at closing. It is A Lot of anxiety, words, numbers, and people to talk to and got that little voice asking if it was all a mistake.

If it all ends well I'll have a cute little place with a cute little yard and an awesome shower in the main bathroom.

I read your last line incorrectly and thought you had an awesome shower in the main bedroom.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Sundae posted:

I read your last line incorrectly and thought you had an awesome shower in the main bedroom.

I found one in my attic!

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Sundae posted:

To be fair, that would be pretty interesting.

Deviant posted:

I found one in my attic!

For the racoons, maybe :v:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Just signed about thirty times and have officially closed :bubblewoop: Thanks, everybody, who gave me advice! Even the times I disregarded it :ocelot:

We got a decent chunk of change back at closing, as well, which I am happy about! Hooray for 0% down financing, time to drop all of it right back into my horrible awful money pitlovely home.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Congrats!

Things are moving along here as well. We got word the previous owners will drop their rent back on Friday so we'll actually get the keys to our home 2 weeks after buying it. So, does anyone have tips for breaking a lease?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
We are set to close tomorrow at 2pm, I got a call from my lender at 7:45pm telling me they needed to change the disclosure *yet again*, so we still don't know exactly how much money to bring to closing.

Oh and my lender is on pacific time.

:Points to thread title:

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

I almost feel like a real homeowner now.

During the final walkthrough, a showerhead fell apart in my realtor's hand, started spraying water everywhere, and dropped a piece down the open drain.

The extremely conscientious seller left a note that the hose in the yard had some slow leaks. I found out a day later that they also left the water to the hose running, and that the leak was no longer quite so slow. Luckily there was no real damage.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

GEMorris posted:

We are set to close tomorrow at 2pm, I got a call from my lender at 7:45pm telling me they needed to change the disclosure *yet again*, so we still don't know exactly how much money to bring to closing.

We ended up closing our sale a day and a half late because the title company straight up forgot to send the HOA demand to my old HOA and then panicked and tried to play it off like the HOA had not responded.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Our cash buyers who submitted an "as is" offer (which, after escalation, turned into the highest offer) are now asking for a $600 credit to remove a satellite dish from the side of the house. I think we should tell them to gently caress off what do you all think

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

GEMorris posted:

This happened to me.

Our lawyer gave us an estimated amount to get the check for (2 hours before the scheduled closing :v:) then had the bank cut him a check for the difference and he sent it to us.

We didn’t know the final actual amount of cash owed until 4 hours after scheduled close time (cause thread title). We still closed at least.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

Our cash buyers who submitted an "as is" offer (which, after escalation, turned into the highest offer) are now asking for a $600 credit to remove a satellite dish from the side of the house. I think we should tell them to gently caress off what do you all think

Send them this.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/As_is

Or go up and remove the satellite dish and send them a $600 invoice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

QuarkJets posted:

Maybe it’s this guy:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3910844&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=2049#post515674610