Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I don't watch the genocide Olympics because it's always just a competition between the US, China, Russia, and the UK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

surely the one who gets no medals must be the winner then

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

France once again slips out from having anyone notice their own genocides and imperialist wars

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
I have a dumb question, is Lao Gan Ma really super common in China and what are the best flavors. My buddy introduced me to it a couple weeks ago, I have some chili crisp and the fermented soy bean chili sauce and they fuckin rule

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Conscript HGB back into modding GBS and purge the rest imo, he was Cincinnatus cloaked in tortilla.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
Gonna take my genocide and go home.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A beautiful world with beautiful places to visit

Barudak fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jun 28, 2021

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Chomsky's take on things has always been consistent: its about framing. In every situation, american media will devote all of their efforts to the (real and awful!) atrocities committed by their foreign villains, with quick asides to the (sometimes equally bad, often worse) atrocities committed by their own goverment in the region. When this discrepancy is pointed out, it gets portrayed as apologia. I don't think he exactly has as much care in discussing these things as I would, but its extremely disingenuous to ignore his major thrust to say "he was just running PR for genocide"

What he finds unconscionable about this is the way in which it affects how we think about things. Our atrocities are complex, morally grey, and require very slow, glacial incrementalism to fix. Foreign atrocities are uniquely clearly evil, and demand immediate clear intervention, often with force. He focuses on the former because its laughable to think that your average american can do MORE to stop a foreign crisis than they can to stop a domestic one, and yet it is constantly the drum we're banging. Somehow americans have more power to affect China than they do their own goverment.

To bring this full circle, how ridiclous would it sound to you if someone suggested sending in the US military to occupy and dismantle ICE facilities? Comparatively, this thread has on multiple occasions gone on long tom clancy esque tangents about a possible US military intervention in taiwan. We can only ever imagine bringing america's power to bear against our enemies, and feel powerless against ourselves.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Barudak posted:

Super duper mega common and that old lady looks exactly like a relative who sadly cannot eat spicy.

Standard flavor is best flavor, but do note it has peanuts in it so be careful regarding allergens

I mean you can't go wrong with just a shitload of MSG. What's the standard flavor?

I wasn't sure if it was a fad thing in the US or genuinely a standard condiment in China. It's great poo poo tho

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Fritz the Horse posted:

I have a dumb question, is Lao Gan Ma really super common in China and what are the best flavors. My buddy introduced me to it a couple weeks ago, I have some chili crisp and the fermented soy bean chili sauce and they fuckin rule

Laoganma is very popular and it is rad. Unfortunately all the best flavors are only in China, I've never seen them exported. Assuming you're in the US the ones you're likely to find are:

Chili crisp - this is an export only version that doesn't exist in China. It's the basic one abroad.
Black bean - this is the OG. You use this in cooking more often, the others are more for slathering on things.
San ding - this has peanuts, tofu, and some kinda dried vegetable, I think turnip. I like this one best for what you can get in the US.
Fried chili in oil - this is the China version of chili crisp. More MSG, no onion, etc.

If somehow you run across the chicken or the pork strip ones those are great.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

All laoganmas are precious and good.

Also you should be able to find some duojiao, give that a shot.

I see this brand everywhere. It's mainly for cooking I think (I don't know a lot about Hunan food sadly) but it's also good as just a big ol dump on some eggs or whatever.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Grand Fromage posted:

Laoganma is very popular and it is rad. Unfortunately all the best flavors are only in China, I've never seen them exported. Assuming you're in the US the ones you're likely to find are:

Chili crisp - this is an export only version that doesn't exist in China. It's the basic one abroad.
Black bean - this is the OG. You use this in cooking more often, the others are more for slathering on things.
San ding - this has peanuts, tofu, and some kinda dried vegetable, I think turnip. I like this one best for what you can get in the US.
Fried chili in oil - this is the China version of chili crisp. More MSG, no onion, etc.

If somehow you run across the chicken or the pork strip ones those are great.

I have "spicy chili crisp" and "chili oil with fermented soybeans" is the second one the black bean?

They're both really nice, the crunch from the crispy chilis is nice on rice or whatever.

My veg garden is starting to produce so I've been making lame rear end attempts at stir fried with a couple spoons of either of them. That's really nice

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Fritz the Horse posted:

I have "spicy chili crisp" and "chili oil with fermented soybeans" is the second one the black bean?

Yeah, fermented soybeans should be the black bean. You can also just buy those beans, they're called douchi and are good in everything. In English I think they're usually called fermented black beans?

Fried rice topping is a good laoganma use. I would get takeout fried rice from the joint around the corner with the bottom of the barrel cleanliness score and friendly kitten. Crispy egg on top and then a load of laoganma, food of the gods.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I've heard great things about it and have been meaning to try it but as someone whose enjoyable spice limit is lame as hell and somewhere in the Sriracha zone how much will I regret it?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I've heard great things about it and have been meaning to try it but as someone whose enjoyable spice limit is lame as hell and somewhere in the Sriracha zone how much will I regret it?

It's really not that hot, despite what it looks like. That said, I have a high tolerance and some things I literally can't even taste peppers in are inedibly spicy to others, so I may not be the best judge.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I want to try it

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The owner of the company is also rad as hell, actually started with nothing, famous for treating her employees very well and paying good wages and such. It's a success story all around.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Grand Fromage posted:

It's really not that hot, despite what it looks like. That said, I have a high tolerance and some things I literally can't even taste peppers in are inedibly spicy to others, so I may not be the best judge.

I mean by comparison it's a fraction of the heat of sriracha. Like I dunno maybe a quarter as spicy as sriracha?

Like you said I put it on fried rice or fried eggs.

gently caress, put it on ice cream that would unironically own

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
'Chili Crisp' is going to be an upcoming fast food fad ingredient any day now in the US.

Sriacha is played out.

SerCypher fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jun 22, 2021

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i see laoganma copycats in tjs and costco and to the angry ladys credit theyre just at the quality of laoganma, not brutally surpassing it like many tj and kirkland products

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

While you're at the Chinese grocery getting Laoganma head to the snack aisle and get these:

Mala peanuts, the world's greatest beer snack.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

You'll be fine - it's not pointless torture like 2x Hot Chicken.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Barudak fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jun 28, 2021

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

China doesn't do hot for hot's sake all that much, really. Peppers are in things because they taste good. It's not trying to kill you.

That's not to say China lacks food that will destroy your rear end in a top hat. Hunan and Guizhou say hello. But that's not the point.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Shumagorath posted:

You'll be fine - it's not pointless torture like 2x Hot Chicken.

the korean title of that one actually reads "nuclear hot chicken noodles"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

You develop a tolerance to Sichuan pepper. When I first moved to Chengdu my mouth was buzzing after every meal, but after a year I'd have to just literally eat a handful of them straight from the bag to get a tingle. I still do. So if you aren't living there long enough and eating them every day you aren't having the same experience as everyone else. That pot of soup with literally 400 of them in it isn't making anybody else's mouth numb.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the korean title of that one actually reads "nuclear hot chicken noodles"
according to your rear end in a top hat, Korea invented the bomb

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Hot pot is a special case, it does get overwhelming in that and is part of why Sichuan hotpot sucks. In normal food it doesn't. There is a variety of strength though, the tribute peppers I got are powerful poo poo and even make me numb. Other than that, I get a little tingle if I eat enough of it but it takes a lot.

Also depends how old they are and how they were processed.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Barudak posted:

The other issue is when they cling inside your tofu skins and you don't notice and you get a crunchy bite

Yeah thats the worst its like eating sand

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

McGavin posted:

I don't watch the genocide Olympics because it's always just a competition between the US, China, Russia, and the UK.

idk, germany kinda won the gold medal as had turkey but they are too shy and humble to accept it.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Dapper_Swindler posted:

idk, germany kinda won the gold medal as had turkey but they are too shy and humble to accept it.
Isn't Turkey / Erdogan still denying the whole thing?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Where does Spain fall into all this?

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
The thread got kind of content starved after Live Leak was shut down.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

This is the essential laoganma video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVh7Fu0_Y1o

and the basic recipe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkTQTS2RSCU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Fritz the Horse posted:

I mean by comparison it's a fraction of the heat of sriracha. Like I dunno maybe a quarter as spicy as sriracha?

Like you said I put it on fried rice or fried eggs.

gently caress, put it on ice cream that would unironically own

I'm sold. I love the flavor of chili but I'll never understand the appeal of ratcheting up the heat to the level of ultimate butthole annihilation. Like I know a guy who intentionally buys those sauces with names like "Rectum Draino" and "Anus Death" and it's like, the hell is the point if all you taste is pure fire?

I've also been meaning to try Brian David Gilbert's pepcorn recipe and laoganma is the key ingredient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

ultimate butthole annihilation.
Takeshi's Castle reboot getting dark.