Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

MadDogMike posted:

Depends on if you have taxable income from traditional IRAs/401k or not, retirement alone doesn't always equal 0% capital tax rates. It also still adjusts your AGI so taxable social security might be a thing. But yeah, if the rest of your income is low enough you don't get taxed on long term capital gains, and retired people are more likely to hit that.

If I have $10 million dollars of long term capital gains in my individual stock account, is it possible for me to realize all those gains without paying taxes by not working for a year so I have no AGI, and then sell the stocks, and then get a job again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic City Monday
Dec 5, 2016

human garbage bag posted:

If I have $10 million dollars of long term capital gains in my individual stock account, is it possible for me to realize all those gains without paying taxes by not working for a year so I have no AGI, and then sell the stocks, and then get a job again?

No.

The 0% tax rate on long term capital gains is only for the first $40,000. After that you pay 15% and then it maxes out at 20% ($441,000+ worth of income from long term capital gains).

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Magic City Monday posted:

No.

The 0% tax rate on long term capital gains is only for the first $40,000. After that you pay 15% and then it maxes out at 20% ($441,000+ worth of income from long term capital gains).

I thought the tax rate on long term capital gains was determined by your income bracket?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
The gains count as income.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Epi Lepi posted:

If you should have been on Medicaid you may have to pay back some amount of your credit but not the whole thing, last I checked it was capped at $600 but that may change based on family size or just change for 2021.

MadDogMike posted:

Uh, not in my personal experience?

I was going entirely off Epi's post.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

I thought the tax rate on long term capital gains was determined by your income bracket?

You can look up the IRS Qualified Dividends and Capitals Gains Worksheet, but the short answer is they are counted as the last part of your total taxable income. The portion of them that falls in the 12% or lower tax bracket (below 40,525 for single), gets taxed at 0% instead. The rest above that (that would normally be in the 22-35% brackets) is taxed at 15%. Any that falls in the 37% bracket gets taxed at 20%.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

MadDogMike posted:

As I understand it, if you're in the Medicaid income range they won't offer Marketplace insurance on the healthcare.gov website, but they certainly don't penalize you for it if you have Marketplace insurance but fall below the poverty line on your return.
There's a provision that if your estimated income when you signed up for the marketplace insurance made you ineligible for Medicaid at the time you enrolled but your actual income ended up being low enough to qualify you shouldn't be penalized as long as the estimated income was reasonable.

quote:

I do agree with Peyote Panda the whole thing is an over-complicated mess that punishes people (doesn't help when there's things like the SLCSP being listed as $0 instead of the correct amount on the 1095-A, so screw you if you don't know how to find the rather hidden tool on healthcare.gov to get the right numbers),
I've also seen cases where the taxpayer did that and it got held up in processing because it didn't match the 1095-A though fortunately that got better after the first year.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

MadDogMike posted:

Uh, not in my personal experience?

Hmm, not sure if I've been doing something wrong and my tax program is generating a tax that shouldn't exist. I've seen a few people who've estimated high to get the better insurance and then when I prepare the return they end up having to pay back the credit with a cap of $600 since they ended up being low income. I remember looking it up when I first encountered it and it seemed right at the time but that was a few years ago.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

My GF and I both recently started 1-2 night a week part time jobs. We have higher paying full time jobs. On W-4 for multiple jobs it says:

(Your withholding will be most accurate if you complete Steps 3–4(b) on the Form W-4 for the highest paying job.)

Why is more accurate if we re-do the higher paying job we already submitted a W-4? She would prefer to just have more money taken out from her smaller paycheck if it is not a big difference. I know it would all be same by time we do taxes at end of year.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Fritzler posted:

My GF and I both recently started 1-2 night a week part time jobs. We have higher paying full time jobs. On W-4 for multiple jobs it says:

(Your withholding will be most accurate if you complete Steps 3–4(b) on the Form W-4 for the highest paying job.)

Why is more accurate if we re-do the higher paying job we already submitted a W-4? She would prefer to just have more money taken out from her smaller paycheck if it is not a big difference. I know it would all be same by time we do taxes at end of year.

It doesn't really matter. If 100% of your side job income is going to be in say, the 22% bracket then you could just calculate it to be roughly fixed there.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Epi Lepi posted:

Hmm, not sure if I've been doing something wrong and my tax program is generating a tax that shouldn't exist. I've seen a few people who've estimated high to get the better insurance and then when I prepare the return they end up having to pay back the credit with a cap of $600 since they ended up being low income. I remember looking it up when I first encountered it and it seemed right at the time but that was a few years ago.

Page 8 of the 8962 instructions calls it out as you're eligible for the PTC under the following conditions:

IRS Instructions for Form 8962 posted:

Estimated household income at least 100% of the federal poverty line
You may qualify for the PTC if your household income is less than 100% of the federal poverty line and you meet all of the following requirements:
•You or an individual in your tax family enrolled in a qualified health plan through a Marketplace.
•The Marketplace estimated at the time of enrollment that your household income would be at least 100% but not more than 400% of the federal poverty line for your family size for 2020.
•APTC was paid for the coverage for one or more months during 2020.
•You otherwise qualify as an applicable taxpayer (except for the federal poverty line percentage).

You do not meet the requirements under Estimated household income at least 100% of the federal poverty line if:
•No APTC was paid for your or your family's coverage; or
•You, with intentional or reckless disregard for the facts, provided incorrect information to a Marketplace for the year of coverage. See Pub. 974 for more information.

Can't find any drat elaboration of "provided incorrect information" in Pub 974, though I presume that's something like "claiming PTC when you know drat well your taxable income is going to be ridiculously low for the year". I can't help but think this is later additions to the rules because I don't remember any of this crap when I was frantically trying to find the answers back around 2015/16 when the issue actually applied to me after getting Marketplace for the first time. In any event, utterly stupid design as mentioned by several here; having to psychically predict your drat income for a year in advance is BS anyway for a lot of folks especially self-employed types.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

It doesn't really matter. If 100% of your side job income is going to be in say, the 22% bracket then you could just calculate it to be roughly fixed there.

Thank you!

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Had an interesting conversation and couldn't find an answer either way.

Can you request/do voluntary withholding from a 1099?

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Since bonuses are taxed at a flat rate of 22%, why don't companies just pay high earning employees only in bonuses, so they pay less taxes?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Since bonuses are taxed at a flat rate of 22%, why don't companies just pay high earning employees only in bonuses, so they pay less taxes?

They are withheld at a fixed rate. They are taxed as ordinary income.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

i can't tell if this is a joke post going over my head, but supplemental wages have a separate withholding rate, not a separate tax rate

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Small White Dragon posted:

Assuming you mean a 1099-Misc for contractor work, it's not my area of expertise but as far as I can tell there's no reason you couldn't ask for it but the payer wouldn't be under any obligation to honor that request (and at the very least it would require extra work on their part so they'd probably be reluctant to do for that reason alone).

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i can't tell if this is a joke post going over my head, but supplemental wages have a separate withholding rate, not a separate tax rate

No it wasn't a joke, I was just ignorant.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

You could refuse to provide a SSN/EIN and force the payer to do backup withholding.

Magicaljesus
Oct 18, 2006

Have you ever done this trick before?

Guy Axlerod posted:

You could refuse to provide a SSN/EIN and force the payer to do backup withholding.

Any business with even basic vendor onboarding controls would require this prior to a work agreement. If you don't get the work, there won't be anything to pay. Plus, it's putting a lot of confidence in the issuer to withhold/report properly.

Why would a 1099-NEC recipient want the payor to withhold anything voluntarily? If they did, it would almost certainly be at a rate much higher than what would ultimately be paid to the IRS.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Guy Axlerod posted:

Looks like that's the only way to get withholding judging by the Form 1099-NEC instructions, it specifically calls out the box 4 entry as "enter backup withholding". And as Magicaljesus says, most companies are not going to proceed unless you give them a drat TIN. I swear though I always see a bunch of freaked out people wondering why the company they did contract work with gave them a W-9 and wants their SSN, "why should I give them my private info?". I respect having some sense of personal security, but in general major corporations don't cheerfully try to indulge in blatant identity theft (even if some of their payroll departments apparently skimp on security enough to facilitate that :rolleyes:).

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I've had a couple smaller contracts who paid by handwritten check. I don't know how far they would have gone without a EIN. I just included it with my first invoice.

Magicaljesus
Oct 18, 2006

Have you ever done this trick before?

MadDogMike posted:

Looks like that's the only way to get withholding judging by the Form 1099-NEC instructions, it specifically calls out the box 4 entry as "enter backup withholding". And as Magicaljesus says, most companies are not going to proceed unless you give them a drat TIN. I swear though I always see a bunch of freaked out people wondering why the company they did contract work with gave them a W-9 and wants their SSN, "why should I give them my private info?". I respect having some sense of personal security, but in general major corporations don't cheerfully try to indulge in blatant identity theft (even if some of their payroll departments apparently skimp on security enough to facilitate that :rolleyes:).

Businesses large and small need to know who they're paying. Smaller businesses are often more relaxed about it, out of ignorance, personal comfort with the contractor, or a combination of both. For example, if a company paid a non-US person who didn't provide or doesn't have a tax ID, among other conditions, the company itself is liable for the 30% withholding in addition to very steep fines that add up quickly. Requiring supporting documents up front (W-9, W-8) is a no brainer for any business, but especially so for larger (more bureaucratic? less personal?) businesses. The privacy aspect is largely overblown but is certainly a non-zero risk, though there are things you as a contractor could do to mitigate the risk if you choose.

I'm still missing why the question was raised in the first place. Why would a 1099 recipient WANT the payer to withhold, and potentially jump through hoops to recover your withholding from the IRS?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Magicaljesus posted:

I'm still missing why the question was raised in the first place. Why would a 1099 recipient WANT the payer to withhold, and potentially jump through hoops to recover your withholding from the IRS?

Some creative folk (who do work for multiple clients) were having a discussion about how much of a pain taxes were to handle, and apparently really excited by the idea that they were just get some of their clients to withhold at X%.

I mean, I don't think twice about doing quarterly filing etc if I need to, but I also realize I may not be in the norm.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Some creative folk (who do work for multiple clients) were having a discussion about how much of a pain taxes were to handle, and apparently really excited by the idea that they were just get some of their clients to withhold at X%.

This is how taxes work for contractors in Japan, and it is, in fact, a huge pain in the rear end for the clients.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

I mean, I don't think twice about doing quarterly filing etc if I need to, but I also realize I may not be in the norm.
Taxes are definitely something that can freak people out and it doesn't surprise me that some people would be willing to eat a temporary loss with additional withholding to avoid the hassle. I talk to plenty of people of the Economic Impact Payment hotline who spent hours on hold to talk to someone and are extremely desperate to get money but the prospect of having to fill out a few lines on a 1040 to give the IRS enough info to get their stimulus payments is too much for them to handle so they freak out or shut down and then hang up.

Unfortunately, in this case the clients are probably paying them as 1099 contractors instead of employees at least in part to avoid the hassle of things like withholding (like Banksy said)

Peyote Panda fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jun 17, 2021

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Peyote Panda posted:

Unfortunately, in this case the clients are probably paying them as 1099 contractors instead of employees at least in part to avoid the hassle of things like withholding (like Banksy said)

In most of the cases I'm aware of, these people set their own hours and work from home, and they really value that flexibility. Many of them in different states than their clients.

Which actually brings up an even bigger issue, in that it's a big mess to try to hire a remote employee in a state you don't operate in. It'd be swell if the federal government fixed this problem, since it's squarely in their purview, but...

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

It is a pain in the rear end for a lot of folks, many of my self employed clients rejoice that I hand them four nicely prepared 1040-ES forms with addressed envelopes and a nice checklist to write the check number and payment date on (I think some of them would never go DIY precisely because I give them that service by default). H&R Block even tried to sell a new support service this year to help people with making the payments (calling them to remind them, appointments to work out how much needs to be sent this quarter, etc.) though I'm not sure how well it did.

Peyote Panda posted:

Taxes are definitely something that can freak people out and it doesn't surprise me that some people would be willing to eat a temporary loss with additional withholding to avoid the hassle. I talk to plenty of people of the Economic Impact Payment hotline who spent hours on hold to talk to someone and are extremely desperate to get money but the prospect of having to fill out a few lines on a 1040 to give the IRS enough info to get their stimulus payments is too much for them to handle so they freak out or shut down and then hang up.

Considering I have a quite a few W-2 only clients who use me despite even the minimum fee not being cheap, people will pay a lot to avoid having to worry about anything tax form related (though some of them are because I'm on the PA/DE border and navigating that multistate can of worms if you're working out of state in either is a pain in the rear end even if the federal part is easy).

quote:

Yeah, hate to say it but that's probably at least 50% of my 1099 clients if not more, it's for corporate convenience in withholding (and knowing HOW to do W-2 in the smaller employers) than really being "contractors" by the IRS definition of things. Of course, in practical terms, anybody filing that form to get the IRS to make their company not duck the W-2 system, I have to frankly tell them "yeah, they're gonna come up with an excuse to fire you if you do that" :sigh:. Hell, getting employers that remember to file the 1099-NEC is a miracle some days, though at least if the client reports the income and has bank records for backup it's not THEIR problem if that's not filed at least (never seen the IRS question someone saying they have more income than reported).

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Tax return is finally complete. According to the CPA, it looks like I actually owed about $24,000 to the IRS due to option sales or whatever, and then there's some capital gains writeoffs or whatever. I did have to pay a decent amount, so apparently yes, not enough was withheld just from the W-2 and E*TRADE's amended documents or whatever. Important to keep in mind for next year, where I might have to do this whole song and dance again :sigh:

Stocks hard.

Rereading this and I have no idea what’s actually going on, I think I’m still very confused. I think it depends on whether the filing-for-extension-and-pre-payment and the final big-ol-tax-return document are separate or not (i.e. did I have two tax returns prepared this year or something?). Lemme go through this again.

Okay, I think I got it. Paid $23,000 up front to appease the IRS, taxes withheld by work were originally reported as ~$163,000 with ~$20,900 withheld, but with the W-2C the wages were adjusted up to ~$201,000, no changes to federal income tax withheld (why, I don’t know). Therefore, I actually needed to pay ~$20,366 to the IRS so I’m getting a refund back on why I paid.

I am still very, very confused as to whether or not I’m double-paying taxes on my options or not.

EDIT: Aite I give up, who knows where all my money is. I'll just chalk it up to capitalism extracting its blood tax.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jun 21, 2021

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

For some content, I guess: the tax return copy I got included some Massachusetts estimated tax things, called "Massachusetts estimated income tax payments". I was told that these are completely optional and do not actually have to be filed. Is this true?

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

These are questions for the accountant who prepared your return

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’m doing my due diligence here and getting second opinions. What if the accountant is wrong?

Admiral101
Feb 20, 2006
RMU: Where using the internet is like living in 1995.

Pollyanna posted:

For some content, I guess: the tax return copy I got included some Massachusetts estimated tax things, called "Massachusetts estimated income tax payments". I was told that these are completely optional and do not actually have to be filed. Is this true?

There's a lot of "it depends" in this, but the short answer is: the worst outcome to not paying your estimated taxes is an interest charge that is too trivial to talk about. If your income in 2021 is largely going to be driven by vanilla wage income (that has appropriate tax withholdings on it) then youre fine not paying them.

As far as the other issues go: if you are dubious on whether the W-2 you received from your employer is reporting correct income/withholding, that is a problem for your employer's payroll department not your CPA. The CPA is likely going to trust the source document unless there is something obviously incorrect about it, which does not seem to be the case here.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Alright, it sounds like I’m fine with not taking the estimated income tax step, as suggested by my CPA. Thank you for corroborating them.

Double Deux
Oct 30, 2010
Two questions for the thread:

1. Is there any way to check on if the unemployment tax refund credit is processing? I filed super early but have seen nothing on that front.

2. Should I amend my tax return seeing as 3/4 of my income last year was from unemployment income? I hesitated on it because the IRS kind of emphasized not doing that just for the refund, but it might also allow me to claim other credits? At least, that's what a freetaxusa email I randomly got hinted at but who knows.

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

Double Deux posted:

1. Is there any way to check on if the unemployment tax refund credit is processing? I filed super early but have seen nothing on that front.

2. Should I amend my tax return seeing as 3/4 of my income last year was from unemployment income? I hesitated on it because the IRS kind of emphasized not doing that just for the refund, but it might also allow me to claim other credits? At least, that's what a freetaxusa email I randomly got hinted at but who knows.

1. I am not yet aware of one, except possibly requesting transcripts online.

2. No, you should wait for the IRS to screw up the refund and then file an amended return.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Double Deux posted:

1. The transcript suggestion is a good one. Specifically you would want the account transcript as it shows adjustments subsequent to the original return. You can get that online through the Get Your Tax Record section on IRS.GOV.

2. The IRS is only adjusting for the reduced tax from the UI deduction. If you have other deductions or credits that would get you a better tax benefit due to the AGI reduction, then you'll want to file an amended return (for example if you couldn't claim the Earned Income Credit before but would now be eligible).

Double Deux
Oct 30, 2010

Peyote Panda posted:

1. The transcript suggestion is a good one. Specifically you would want the account transcript as it shows adjustments subsequent to the original return. You can get that online through the Get Your Tax Record section on IRS.GOV.

2. The IRS is only adjusting for the reduced tax from the UI deduction. If you have other deductions or credits that would get you a better tax benefit due to the AGI reduction, then you'll want to file an amended return (for example if you couldn't claim the Earned Income Credit before but would now be eligible).

Thanks for the advice, that's pretty much exactly what would happen as pre-unemployment credit my income was 26k so this would put it under the max threshold for that from my brief review of the earned income credit. Looking at my transcript there don't seem to be any adjustments besides the ones for the tax refund last year and early this one. Based on that I guess my best move is filing an amended return now. Should sort out potential issues with the UI deduction and net me more than the standard deduction.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Just wanted to chime in that we were waiting for our refund to process for months and it finally happened this week, with the caveat that it was reduced by $1200 likely due to one of the stimulus check complications.

The info from there where’s my refund page said it could be one of a few things, and that we’d be getting a letter to explain it. Hopefully that letter will be more specific, and have a number to call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

meanolmrcloud posted:

Just wanted to chime in that we were waiting for our refund to process for months and it finally happened this week, with the caveat that it was reduced by $1200 likely due to one of the stimulus check complications.

The info from there where’s my refund page said it could be one of a few things, and that we’d be getting a letter to explain it. Hopefully that letter will be more specific, and have a number to call.

Mine is scheduled to get deposited on Monday after months and they increased it 1200 so thanks I guess.