Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
https://i.imgur.com/A4TJ4hY.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

when a landlord REALLY doesn't want to pay the water bill

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

What in God's name is this atrocity. Please, burn it.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

PurpleXVI posted:

What in God's name is this atrocity. Please, burn it.

Pretty sure if you tried, it would put itself out.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Platystemon posted:

mods plz change thread title to this tia

What he said

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

What the gently caress is this place supposed to be?

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

deoju posted:

The internet

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

A series of tubes.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

I don't see how else you'd do it

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Vim Fuego posted:

I don't see how else you'd do it
See:

Lutha Mahtin posted:

when a landlord REALLY doesn't want to pay the water bill
Just pay the drat water bill instead of creating a pipe spiderweb so you can nickel and dime each tenant individually.

Failing that, there at least has to be a less haphazard way to do the profit-seeking option.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

StormDrain posted:

Cw: animal abuse. Edit:I'm serious. Don't read if you love pets. I don't want to be too specific and cause unneeded harm.

https://www.denverpost.com/2021/06/...impression=true

Reprehensible animal cruelty (form someone who runs an animal rescue!) aside:

I'm especially a fan of a comment in the article about it:

Denver Post article posted:

All of that led Foster on Tuesday to list the 3,598-square-foot home on 4525 Churchill Court in Colorado Springs at $590,000. If the home was fixed up, it could probably sell for about $700,000. The price tag to fix the damage ranges from $150,000 to $230,000, according to four different contractors, Foster said.

So... you're selling a $700K home for $590K, which will require $150K-230K, costing one $740K-$820K to make it a $700K home again? Classic.

The property management for the out of state owner hosed up big time, not evicting her properly, and letting her back in to vandalize the house. That said, from realtor Mimi's video, the house was mostly wrecked before the tenant moved out, just from neglect , animals, and general weirdness.

kid sinister posted:

Just say no to pots.

Proteus Jones posted:

The vent aside, that whole area by the stove is bothering me.

FTFY.

Gordian Knot plumbing.

deoju posted:

Letmebefrank posted:

The internet

GreenNight posted:

A series of tubes.

NICE. :golfclap:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Wow I skipped like 20 pages because I don't care about bad decor and got behind and

Uh

That abomination at the top of the page makes up for everything, Jesus tap dancing Christ

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

deoju posted:

Answering my own question incase anybody else is curious...

I saw this also posted on reddit. Somebody said it might be an building that was converted into apartments. That would explain all the meters.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
My friend rented an apartment in a house that had been split into 4 units. When the weather got cold he realized there was no thermostat in his unit. he got heat (or not) depending on what his downstairs neighbor set it to

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

deoju posted:

Answering my own question incase anybody else is curious...

I saw this also posted on reddit. Somebody said it might be an building that was converted into apartments. That would explain all the meters.

On one hand, I'm not super fond of summer meaning "on a good day, you may be able to go outside in just a t-shirt". On the other hand, I do love living somewhere that has never heard of residential water meters.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Another successful job by Howard, Fine, and Howard Plumbing.

Commander Jameson
Apr 29, 2013

What's Trypophobia but for things with too many legs etc? I have it now.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Someone write the SCP entry about the new york coop building infested with ever-multiplying alien pipes (but the rent is cheap!)

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Commander Jameson posted:

What's Trypophobia but for things with too many legs etc? I have it now.

tripophobia

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Jusupov posted:

It's a wick john

Yeeeessssssssssss

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

GotLag posted:

tripophobia

:sbahj:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Vim Fuego posted:

Someone write the SCP entry about the new york coop building infested with ever-multiplying alien pipes (but the rent is cheap!)

We already know how that ends.
http://www.scpwiki.com/scp-015

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

SkyeAuroline posted:

See:

Just pay the drat water bill instead of creating a pipe spiderweb so you can nickel and dime each tenant individually.

Failing that, there at least has to be a less haphazard way to do the profit-seeking option.

I mean, if we ignore the loving stupid pipework, then usually the method here, is to just put the water meter in each tenant's apartment, so there isn't a loving forest of meters on top of each other that need their eventual locations deciphered. Plus that way you can just have one pipe rising for each vertical slice of apartments, splitting off each time it reaches one, rather than splitting them all at the point where it generates the most extra pipeage, like a moron.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Crap construction:the most extra pipeage, like a moron

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Final Blog Entry posted:

The three little pigs, except the wolf has the shits and is destroying toilets of increasingly better construction.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Nah, that's just a one-wire thermostat.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Sometimes you need Camouflage stairs to protec yourself from robits

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Stairs that are safer to use in the dark?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Post that in the interior design thread.

Never put horizontal stripes on stairs, it's downright dangerous!

Edit: proof

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 22, 2021

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

the one thing i want to know about the spider pipes is whether the landlord could have just charged everyone a flat share of the water bill. where i live (minnesota) landlords are allowed to put a utility bill in their own name and then split the total evenly amongst all tenants who receive that utility. you're also allowed to do a rolling average where you just tell each tenant to tack on $x each month to their rent based on how much the average monthly bill is. tenants then do have the right to request copies of the utility bills that are charged like this, to verify that the landlord is being truthful, but i feel like this would be an opportunity for a crummy landlord to try and skim a few bucks from ignorant tenants each month. that's because most people i have ever talked to about this didn't know they had the right to request copies of the bills that are charged this way, and i personally never bothered with it the couple of times i was in that kind of renting situation, because i never thought the quotes sounded very wrong, and it seemed like a hassle to build a paper trail if it was just going to end up with me being owed a few nickels in overcharges

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

That's basically how you do garbage, I guess? Everyone may use/produce different amounts, but the cost gets pooled and split evenly.
I mean, at least where I've lived. Now I wonder if anyone tries to charge tenants based on how much garbage they produce.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Vim Fuego posted:

My friend rented an apartment in a house that had been split into 4 units. When the weather got cold he realized there was no thermostat in his unit. he got heat (or not) depending on what his downstairs neighbor set it to

I rented in a rowhouse-duplex, I got through about 90% of the summer before I figured out that the other guy didn't have a separate thermostat up there. But the electric was metered separately, so it's the landlord's problem if I want to set my thermostat to 82 while I'm at work. Upstairs still got some free AC I paid for the other times.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

A Rohm & Haas thermostat?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

:murder:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

the one thing i want to know about the spider pipes is whether the landlord could have just charged everyone a flat share of the water bill. where i live (minnesota) landlords are allowed to put a utility bill in their own name and then split the total evenly amongst all tenants who receive that utility. you're also allowed to do a rolling average where you just tell each tenant to tack on $x each month to their rent based on how much the average monthly bill is. tenants then do have the right to request copies of the utility bills that are charged like this, to verify that the landlord is being truthful, but i feel like this would be an opportunity for a crummy landlord to try and skim a few bucks from ignorant tenants each month. that's because most people i have ever talked to about this didn't know they had the right to request copies of the bills that are charged this way, and i personally never bothered with it the couple of times i was in that kind of renting situation, because i never thought the quotes sounded very wrong, and it seemed like a hassle to build a paper trail if it was just going to end up with me being owed a few nickels in overcharges

In Massachusetts you can't charge tenants for any utilities unless they are metered to the unit; cost-sharing like you're talking about where an overall bill is split between units isn't permitted. If a landlord doesn't provide individual metering and controls for a utility, they can't charge for it beyond the rent itself. A lot of big buildings here avoid doing what this guy did, and simply charge higher rent while centrally controlling heat/water/etc.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

~Coxy posted:

Nah, that's just a one-wire thermostat.

*none-wire

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Ashcans posted:

In Massachusetts you can't charge tenants for any utilities unless they are metered to the unit; cost-sharing like you're talking about where an overall bill is split between units isn't permitted. If a landlord doesn't provide individual metering and controls for a utility, they can't charge for it beyond the rent itself. A lot of big buildings here avoid doing what this guy did, and simply charge higher rent while centrally controlling heat/water/etc.

You can also install meters at each unit that radio readings to a central terminal and become your own utility. It was brought up earlier, I have direct experience in it now. They're fairly small and much, much cheaper than that was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

StormDrain posted:

You can also install meters at each unit that radio readings to a central terminal and become your own utility. It was brought up earlier, I have direct experience in it now. They're fairly small and much, much cheaper than that was.

cities use the new fancy meters too, it allows you to take readings without sending out meter readers