Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

Am I the only one who basically never uses the tab page in chrome on android

Same, I had to search for quite a while before I could figure out what they were talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I forget exactly and don't want to turn tab groups back on to check, but I think they introduced some weird inconsistency. I remember it being something like following a link within chrome opened a new tab in the same group, and following a link from outside chrome started a new tab group. So viewing/navigating between tabs/groups was slightly different based on where you clicked a link, vs every link you opened in chrome, no matter what the source, is just a new page.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I switched to Firefox Nightly so I could install userscripts.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

the_lion posted:

Any good apps for seeing what's using your battery up? Preferably free.

There's a million battery apps and I have no idea which one is good.

I've been using AccuBattery for years. Seems fine.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I don't know if this is an issue with Discord or with the Files by Google app, but at some point fairly recently if I tap the icon to open my file manager to share an image or video in Discord it opens the Files by Google app, and there used to be a link to Google Photos inside Files by Google that I could tap on to access my uploaded photos, and that is now gone. Does that app just not have the ability to see Google Photos uploads anymore, and only stuff actually downloaded on the phone or in Google Drive now? If so, is there a different file manager app I can use that will allow me to access my cloud saved Google Photos so I don't have to go into Google Photos, find what I'm looking for, download it to device memory, go back to Discord/Other App, and then share it from my device storage?

This is on a Pixel 3 using the Android 12 Beta 1 if that matters.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Do you have a screen shot of the share button you are using. I'm not a Discord expert, so I couldn't find anything like you are describing.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

The circled icon here opens a file browser

And then the circled area here used to have a link to go to Google Photos along side the Google Drive icon.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Okay, I'm not seeing a link to Photos or any other app other than Drive and "bug reports". So, you're not crazy at least.

Pixel 2, stock OS.

Don't have a solution, though.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Branch Nvidian posted:

I don't know if this is an issue with Discord or with the Files by Google app, but at some point fairly recently if I tap the icon to open my file manager to share an image or video in Discord it opens the Files by Google app, and there used to be a link to Google Photos inside Files by Google that I could tap on to access my uploaded photos, and that is now gone. Does that app just not have the ability to see Google Photos uploads anymore, and only stuff actually downloaded on the phone or in Google Drive now? If so, is there a different file manager app I can use that will allow me to access my cloud saved Google Photos so I don't have to go into Google Photos, find what I'm looking for, download it to device memory, go back to Discord/Other App, and then share it from my device storage?

You can share directly from google photos to anywhere without downloading it to your phone first?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Branch Nvidian posted:

It's a Discord issue. I had the same problem. Discord hosed up a ton of things that have been working for years recently, including saving images at all.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

sourdough posted:

I forget exactly and don't want to turn tab groups back on to check, but I think they introduced some weird inconsistency. I remember it being something like following a link within chrome opened a new tab in the same group, and following a link from outside chrome started a new tab group. So viewing/navigating between tabs/groups was slightly different based on where you clicked a link, vs every link you opened in chrome, no matter what the source, is just a new page.

Makes sense because that's how Tab Groups work in desktop Chrome and I'll even go so far as saying I agree with you that it's bad behavior and I don't like it.

I think the reason there's a contingent who didn't notice is that if you only open one or two tabs at a time it simply doesn't come up. Further, I'm not certain it's great concept as you can't do too much with groups other than minimize one (before though you could move tabs to a new window and minimize that). You can't save a group, you can't restore a group, etc. If you're the kind of person who has a million tabs, Tab Groups aren't going to make you a normal, productive member of society who can manage a tab bar and if you're one of those, you probably don't need Tab Groups to sort your five tabs.

That being said we people with only a few tabs can ignore the feature and it sounds like, at least on mobile, those with a tab disorder cannot which sucks for them.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

SkyeAuroline posted:

It's a Discord issue. I had the same problem. Discord hosed up a ton of things that have been working for years recently, including saving images at all.

Notifications have completely stopped working for me recently on discord

Unrelated but I seem to be able to concentrate on jobs better at the moment?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Hey Tab Group people, are they disabled if you disable the flag "Tab Grid Layout"?

Loki Kunti
Mar 31, 2010

LastInLine posted:

Hey Tab Group people, are they disabled if you disable the flag "Tab Grid Layout"?

No.
Thanks.
I loving hate it.

https://www.xda-developers.com/turn-off-google-chrome-android-grid-view-tabs/amp/

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Oh well, thanks to Google's spying it showed up in my Discover feed as a way that still worked but I guess this is what Trump was talking about when he was referring to all that fake news.

Sorry :(

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

quite frankly I don't believe this talk about the market
I'm looking for an app that will alert me when it's one hour before sunset. What app can do this?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

School of How posted:

I'm looking for an app that will alert me when it's one hour before sunset. What app can do this?

I think Google Assistant will do what you want

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

quite frankly I don't believe this talk about the market

The problem with this is that I have to tell my phone with a voice command to start the alarm. I want this to sound every day, without having to do anything to get it started.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

There's a seemingly decent app called Suntimes that will do it, but I got it on the f-droid app store and it doesn't seem to be on the play store. Sunrise Companion: Sunrise and Sunset Times on the play store seems similar (ie. allows an offset alarm) and purports to be ad free.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

You can try googling "golden hour app", because that's what they call it in photography

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

ringu0 posted:

You can try googling "golden hour app", because that's what they call it in photography

And the Golden Hour app has this feature. At least the paid version does(Golden Hour+).

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Can anyone offer advice for this?

I'm looking for a handwriting app that has its own file extension and can just open a file of that extension, arbitrarily saved or attached wherever I want it, edit it, and re-save it back to the same place it was opened from. You know, like every other document editor through the entire history of computing has worked. I don't care if it's paid, I'm happy to spend money on something that works.

Unfortunately every handwriting app I can find wants to be your singular notetaking app, and that doesn't work for me, because I already have all my notes in Joplin and I'm not going to handwrite them all out somewhere else. I just want to be able to attach handwritten files to my Joplin notes, and be able to open those attached files for inking in some app.

Every time I try to search for this, I find a half-dozen new apps I haven't seen before, but they all work out of their own little notes sandbox and can only interact outside it by exporting and importing. I'm getting kind of tired of buying and refunding handwriting note apps.

The closest thing I've found is just called "Write", but it saves notebooks as sets of .html and .svg, which I don't believe will work for attaching to notes because it won't handle opening file sets like that.

Edit: Argh, I'm an idiot! I was apparently using an old version of "Write"! "Write 3" from Stylus Labs works exactly like I need!

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jun 16, 2021

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
What's the best app for plant ID? I.E. I take a picture and the app tells me what plant it is.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Joink posted:

What's the best app for plant ID? I.E. I take a picture and the app tells me what plant it is.

You just reminded me that I was looking for something like that a month or so ago. If there's one that does plants and animals, let me know too.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Google lens.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I'm looking for an app that lets me toggle between stereo/mono audio easily, preferably in the quick panel. Does anything like that exist?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I don't know how many other app options there are, but I use Seek when I'm out and about and it can usually tell me what plants or critters I'm looking at. Also it can post to inaturalist and there's probably someone on the website who's an expert at whatever you're photographing.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Joink posted:

Leaf snap works really well

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Beartaco posted:

I'm looking for an app that lets me toggle between stereo/mono audio easily, preferably in the quick panel. Does anything like that exist?

This app claims to do that. It was the first I found in a quick and nowhere near exhaustive search.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Looks like it needs root permission... thanks for finding it for me anyway!

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
What are good music players for local media at this point? I used to always use google play music, but youtube music is an absolute piece of garbage for this.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

kirtar posted:

What are good music players for local media at this point? I used to always use google play music, but youtube music is an absolute piece of garbage for this.

From everything I have read over the years, PowerAmp is still a pretty solid choice.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Yeah I use PowerAmp, still works very well.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

kirtar posted:

I use Musicolet

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

On the subject of media players - anyone know of one that specifically organises music based on folder structure/filename, rather than tags? I have a collection of music that is part full albums and part collection of random songs where there's only 1 or 2 per artist. I'd like to have them all on my phone, but I don't want to end up with a huge artist/album list where half of them only have one song attributed to them.

If not, can anyone think of a good way to organise such a collection? The only thing I can think of is to use some tagging software to bulk tag all the random poo poo so that the title is changed to "artist - title" and the artist is changed to "misc" or something, but this seems inelegant.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

oh no computer posted:

If not, can anyone think of a good way to organise such a collection? The only thing I can think of is to use some tagging software to bulk tag all the random poo poo so that the title is changed to "artist - title" and the artist is changed to "misc" or something, but this seems inelegant.

:lol: that is literally my solution. But it's a holdover from when I had a few hundred random mp3s on my computer and a robust CD collection. When I ripped my CDs, I tagged them properly and all the misc mp3s got named misc.

I almost never put those random songs on my phone, so it's not a big deal. I only occasionally put them on my computer and hit random.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Poweramp lets you keep your music organized by folder, that's how I use it.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Sadly, PowerAmp doesn't really whip the llama's rear end, but it comes pretty close.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Did you know that Poweramp comes with Milkdrop visualizations? It's like 1998 all over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

oh no computer posted:

On the subject of media players - anyone know of one that specifically organises music based on folder structure/filename, rather than tags? I have a collection of music that is part full albums and part collection of random songs where there's only 1 or 2 per artist. I'd like to have them all on my phone, but I don't want to end up with a huge artist/album list where half of them only have one song attributed to them.

I use the paid ad-free of this one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jrtstudio.AnotherMusicPlayer

It's good.