Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Pingiivi posted:

Photonicinduction doing... something:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pDcv6g1FE0

Edit: just watch the video instead of reading me rambling with varying correctness.

In short, mercury arc rectifiers use a tube of mercury under vacuum to turn multiple phases of AC into DC while looking like a scifi prop and emitting varying amounts of UV light.

I think I understand how they work, though, so I can go on a bit if anyone is interested.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jun 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

LanceHunter posted:

I imagine tests like this are meant to counter that argument.

No, tests like that are a Congressional requirement dating back to almost WWII, which is when we started figuring out how shock damages ships. A new class of ship gets a representative vessel shock trialled to perform an acid test of the design.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Welcome to page 911, the number this thread needs.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
crappy construction can't melt steel beams

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
:nfpa::911:

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Hulk Hogan attacking the world trade centers was definitely OSHA, he wasn't even wearing a hardhat.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Phanatic posted:

No, tests like that are a Congressional requirement dating back to almost WWII, which is when we started figuring out how shock damages ships. A new class of ship gets a representative vessel shock trialled to perform an acid test of the design.

Ah, good to know

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

corgski posted:

Hulk Hogan attacking the world trade centers was definitely OSHA, he wasn't even wearing a hardhat.

If only Macho Man could have stopped him.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

`Nemesis posted:

new thread title spotted

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

`Nemesis posted:

Kith posted:

new thread title spotted

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

I read your text before the tweet and thought "who's bombing the Welsh? They ain't did nothing to deserve that :("

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Deteriorata posted:

As the shock wave gets close to the surface, the water starts cavitating (boiling), creating a mass of tiny bubbles that reflect blue light and allow the longer wavelengths to pass through.

just wanna say this kind of posting is why this site is still good

not the only reason but it's up there

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

LanceHunter posted:

That looks a lot more insane if you think the barge is the aircraft carrier. Apparently the video was taken from the aircraft carrier.

Oh. Ohhhhh. That... makes more sense.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I imagine that shook some of the barnacles off.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

LanceHunter posted:

That looks a lot more insane if you think the barge is the aircraft carrier. Apparently the video was taken from the aircraft carrier. Here's a video that has another angle showing how close the explosion was to the actual ship:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMfkO5iUkb4

There has been a strain of thinking among some that surface vessels are deprecated and will all fair immediately the event of a large-scale, major-powers war. They can't really hide, and they can't outrun ICBMs, so if things were to ever get hot between the US and a country with a strong missile program then they'd all be sunk in the first day. I imagine tests like this are meant to counter that argument.

I can talk a bit about this sort of thing, since my dad used to work for the part of the navy that did these :science:

They are called shock trials, and as another goon pointed out, the goal is usually to test at least one ship from every class the navy fields. That's not always done, for penny-pinching cost reasons. Looking at you, LCS.

The goal is to see how the ship responds to a nearby underwater explosion. An underwater explosion puts a lot of stress on a ship, because it has a slow, pulsing, back-and-forth sort of motion. Think of a dog shaking a toy to pieces.

Before the test, the entire structure of the ship is heavily instrumented with hundreds? thousands? of strain gauges running to high speed data recorders. Maybe high speed video cameras set up on any items or compartments of interest. The ship needs some level of alterations because of all the cabling involved, and frequently that's done to the test ship while it's being built.

During the test, the ship is at general quarters and material condition Zebra. Stuff inevitably breaks, so they want immediate damage control checks and reports after the bomb goes off. Things like the main propeller shaft seals leaking ... more than you'd want them to :jebstare:
I remember dad saying that fasteners were a perennial headache: the bottom dollar screws holding together equipment cabinets, or onto brackets, or whatever.

I am utterly failing to find any trace of it, but there was a 90's Discovery Channel show called "World of Wonder", hosted by Michael Dorn, that had a segment on the shock trial of the USS John Paul Jones, DDG-53.
I found this, though the first half the video is bugged out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS2whGDzmzg

Sometimes, the Navy will take a recently decommissioned ship, and rough it up a bit more than they otherwise would. They take the data and extrapolate from it when designing later ship classes. That happened to the USS America, CV-66, after she was decommissioned. There, the ship was unmanned during the tests, and they broke her badly enough that they couldn't take her under tow, and had to sink her as a live fire exercise.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

TasogareNoKagi posted:

I can talk a bit about this sort of thing, since my dad used to work for the part of the navy that did these :science:

They are called shock trials, and as another goon pointed out, the goal is usually to test at least one ship from every class the navy fields. That's not always done, for penny-pinching cost reasons. Looking at you, LCS.

The goal is to see how the ship responds to a nearby underwater explosion. An underwater explosion puts a lot of stress on a ship, because it has a slow, pulsing, back-and-forth sort of motion. Think of a dog shaking a toy to pieces.

Before the test, the entire structure of the ship is heavily instrumented with hundreds? thousands? of strain gauges running to high speed data recorders. Maybe high speed video cameras set up on any items or compartments of interest. The ship needs some level of alterations because of all the cabling involved, and frequently that's done to the test ship while it's being built.

During the test, the ship is at general quarters and material condition Zebra. Stuff inevitably breaks, so they want immediate damage control checks and reports after the bomb goes off. Things like the main propeller shaft seals leaking ... more than you'd want them to :jebstare:
I remember dad saying that fasteners were a perennial headache: the bottom dollar screws holding together equipment cabinets, or onto brackets, or whatever.

I am utterly failing to find any trace of it, but there was a 90's Discovery Channel show called "World of Wonder", hosted by Michael Dorn, that had a segment on the shock trial of the USS John Paul Jones, DDG-53.
I found this, though the first half the video is bugged out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS2whGDzmzg

Sometimes, the Navy will take a recently decommissioned ship, and rough it up a bit more than they otherwise would. They take the data and extrapolate from it when designing later ship classes. That happened to the USS America, CV-66, after she was decommissioned. There, the ship was unmanned during the tests, and they broke her badly enough that they couldn't take her under tow, and had to sink her as a live fire exercise.
excellent

what's his forum's name?

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

OgNar posted:

Welcome to page 911, the number this thread needs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVsxjKJDja4
"two oh nine you might wanna back your unit up"

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Some light shipfuckling to start the day.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQZ1rQ9hE6V/?utm_medium=copy_link

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

TasogareNoKagi posted:

During the test, the ship is at general quarters and material condition Zebra.

Are there... people on the ship?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
How else are you supposed to calculate casualties that would result from a test?

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Jesus christ i gotta stop reading this thread at 5am.

My contribution thanks to me watching a poo poo ton of TCM and getting blasted on headache medication is Hollywood classic non compliance.

So Ray Bolger was originally set for the role of the Tin Man prior to the filming of The Wizard of Oz, but ended up instead through a bit of recasting trading roles with Buddy Ebsen to then play the role of Scarecrow. Ebsen, the actor who would later be known as the original head of the Beverly Hillbilly's Clampet Family, Jed, went through a ton of makeup tests for the role of the Tin Man.

The makeup they used was Aluminum Dust, and White Face Paint.

Buddy Ebsen developed such incredible breathing complications from the dust covered paint, that he was hospitalized with lung failure nine days into the initial shoots of the film, and remained hospitalized well into the shoots that MGM did with Jake Haley.

The fun didn't stop there. Reformulating the dusty aluminum covered white face paint, into a white paste makeup with the dust molded in, some got into Haley's eye and he missed 4 days of shooting due to a nasty eye infection.

The makeup hijinks don't stop there.

Margaret Hamilton, who played the Wicked Witch, had her own poo poo to deal with on this shoot. So a common theme with the Wicked Witch is her aptitude for the bombastic side of magic. In this when leaving her initial scenes with the munchkins and Dorothy, they intended to have the Wicked Witch disappear in a puff of smoke and billowing fire. They were going to attempt this by having her drop through a trap door as her position was engulfed by flames.

They literally had Margaret Hamilton *do* this stunt, and lo and behold they went to scene, and set everything off and.....

The Trap Door Did Not Open.

The pyrotechnics worked fantastically though, spraying and hosing down Margaret with hot fire. Because of the makeup she wore helped catch her hands and face even further on fire she suffered severe 2nd and 3rd degree burns on those areas and had to take 6 weeks off set to recover. To add to her troubles because it took alcohol to remove the makeup, the makeup seeped into her wounds, making them more severe.

Hell this sort of bullshit is how the Screen Actors Guild got formed. James Cagney's history of being filmed while actually being shot at with real guns, led to his distaste for it, along with a lot of the other crap he and other actors went through, and was a major reason he became one of the first major backers of unionization in Hollywood.

Another fun fact i learned watching a documentary about Buster Keaton, was that he actually *flubbed* the famous House Façade scene in Steamboat Bill Jr. They actually did 2 takes, and the first take slammed down on him on his shoulder, and given his natural candor to keep doing this poo poo even when it broke him, he did the take again. There was a lot of Hollywood Mysticism about him not getting hurt, but the actual truth about him is he was basically getting his rear end destroyed constantly. It drove him to self medicating, and a lot of pain.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

The intent is not to test to destruction. Designers have a relatively good idea of what various hulls can take stress-wise, but live data (with the added damage control drills and training) is always better.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

DelphiAegis posted:

The intent is not to test to destruction. Designers have a relatively good idea of what various hulls can take stress-wise, but live data (with the added damage control drills and training) is always better.

Then years later the VA says "there haven't been any battles with carriers in years, this isn't service connected. Disability claim denied."

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Lmao the navy should all get free mental counseling forever for being in cramped metal coffins that double as 8 billion dollar nuke targets.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Lmao the navy should all get free mental counseling forever for being in cramped metal coffins that double as 8 billion dollar nuke targets.

My favorite quote from the Modern Marvels about Aircraft Carriers back in the day is "Its like a city on the water".

Good luck to our seamen living in the pipes of the water city.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

TasogareNoKagi posted:

Also a shitload of accelerometers and linear pots to measure displacement.

Basically for a test like this you have a boat towing the charge at a set course and speed, and then the ship you're testing sails through a grid square next to the charge, and when it's in that square you do your countdown and press the button.

(They did eventually do the LCS ships, both designs, by the way):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpYyhrjeup8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MJi8BlCYwE

As I mentioned, being concerned about this stuff dates back to WWII, when we and the RN noticed "Hey, this ship wasn't even hit, why'd it get the poo poo kicked out of it?" That started a whole bunch of research about underwater explosions and shock damage. In addition to entire ship tests (which are rare and take years of legwork leading up to them), you're constantly testing individual components, like electrical distribution panels or engine mounts and so forth.

quote:

Or little things like starting a little electrical fire and knocking out all power to the ship for a little bit.

quote:

A fun one was the ex-USS Caron, which was going to be sunk but first they were going to do some weapons-effect testing on her. My friend was involved in that one. They wired up the whole ship with sensors and data recorders, and then set a 500-lb bomb off in the engine room. That, unexpectedly, sunk the ship, taking the sensors and data recorders and data to the bottom with it. Some years later they sunk the ex-USS Oriskany as a reef. This time, they stuck the data recorders in a little dinghy on the flight deck, so that when the ship sunk the recorders just bobbed around and were recoverable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFyt3bM_MJo

The Lone Badger posted:

For shock trials, absolutely. You're testing out operational systems, so there need to be people on board to operate them. And you also obviously want your damage control people standing by in case you do wind up breaking poo poo, or starting the said aforementioned little electrical fires.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jun 22, 2021

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

For the newly commissioned ships like the John Paul Jones or the Ford, yes. For the America, no.

If they didn't have crew on them, the ship would sink. Why would you sink a brand new ship? :colbert:

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Talkc posted:

Jesus christ i gotta stop reading this thread at 5am.

My contribution thanks to me watching a poo poo ton of TCM and getting blasted on headache medication is Hollywood classic non compliance.

So Ray Bolger was originally set for the role of the Tin Man prior to the filming of The Wizard of Oz, but ended up instead through a bit of recasting trading roles with Buddy Ebsen to then play the role of Scarecrow. Ebsen, the actor who would later be known as the original head of the Beverly Hillbilly's Clampet Family, Jed, went through a ton of makeup tests for the role of the Tin Man.

The makeup they used was Aluminum Dust, and White Face Paint.

Buddy Ebsen developed such incredible breathing complications from the dust covered paint, that he was hospitalized with lung failure nine days into the initial shoots of the film, and remained hospitalized well into the shoots that MGM did with Jake Haley.

The fun didn't stop there. Reformulating the dusty aluminum covered white face paint, into a white paste makeup with the dust molded in, some got into Haley's eye and he missed 4 days of shooting due to a nasty eye infection.

The makeup hijinks don't stop there.

Margaret Hamilton, who played the Wicked Witch, had her own poo poo to deal with on this shoot. So a common theme with the Wicked Witch is her aptitude for the bombastic side of magic. In this when leaving her initial scenes with the munchkins and Dorothy, they intended to have the Wicked Witch disappear in a puff of smoke and billowing fire. They were going to attempt this by having her drop through a trap door as her position was engulfed by flames.

They literally had Margaret Hamilton *do* this stunt, and lo and behold they went to scene, and set everything off and.....

The Trap Door Did Not Open.

The pyrotechnics worked fantastically though, spraying and hosing down Margaret with hot fire. Because of the makeup she wore helped catch her hands and face even further on fire she suffered severe 2nd and 3rd degree burns on those areas and had to take 6 weeks off set to recover. To add to her troubles because it took alcohol to remove the makeup, the makeup seeped into her wounds, making them more severe.

Hell this sort of bullshit is how the Screen Actors Guild got formed. James Cagney's history of being filmed while actually being shot at with real guns, led to his distaste for it, along with a lot of the other crap he and other actors went through, and was a major reason he became one of the first major backers of unionization in Hollywood.

Another fun fact i learned watching a documentary about Buster Keaton, was that he actually *flubbed* the famous House Façade scene in Steamboat Bill Jr. They actually did 2 takes, and the first take slammed down on him on his shoulder, and given his natural candor to keep doing this poo poo even when it broke him, he did the take again. There was a lot of Hollywood Mysticism about him not getting hurt, but the actual truth about him is he was basically getting his rear end destroyed constantly. It drove him to self medicating, and a lot of pain.

Too bad Buster Keaton didn't do like Jackie Chan and have an outtake reel at the end of his films.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

TasogareNoKagi posted:

For the newly commissioned ships like the John Paul Jones or the Ford, yes. For the America, no.

If they didn't have crew on them, the ship would sink. Why would you sink a brand new ship? :colbert:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

re Oriskany there's a really cool documentary on youtube about the poor bastards that had to do environmental decontamination before they sank it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2-Aew7SMO8

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I like how the guy at twenty‐five minutes wielding the SAWZAW is wearing a particulate respirator, but the supervisor isn’t.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

It's Sawzall, not sawzaw. Because it saws all.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

McGavin posted:

It's Sawzall, not sawzaw. Because it saws all.

No, it's sawzaw, because it inspires awe in how it cuts.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Take it up with Milwaukee tools.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
My uncle worked at Milwaukee Tools and he met Robert Sawzaw, the inventor of the Milwaukee Sawzaw. It's short for reciprocating sawzaw.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

My dad had a Sawzall and he used it all the time since it did what it said on the tin. I’ve never really needed one but if I had one I suspect I would just start looking for places to use it. Kinda like my father-in-law and his Dremel.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Jet Jaguar posted:

Kinda like my father-in-law and his Dremel.

You mean Jummel?

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Jet Jaguar posted:

My dad had a Sawzall and he used it all Kinda like my father-in-law and his Dremel.

You mean dremaw?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Can someone explain to me how someone on one of these boats during a bomb test isn't just turbo hosed from it? I'm no science man but I'd imagine everything organic within that ship with an explosion that large would just be viscera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

sigher posted:

Can someone explain to me how someone on one of these boats during a bomb test isn't just turbo hosed from it? I'm no science man but I'd imagine everything organic within that ship with an explosion that large would just be viscera.

The boat in that video is the barge with the explosives. The ship being tested is farther away.