Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
How come these IPs (Warhammer/Dungeons & Dragons) with large cult followings keep giving license to no name studios?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Popete posted:

How come these IPs (Warhammer/Dungeons & Dragons) with large cult followings keep giving license to no name studios?

free money

I think they also hardly license much at all, just take money to allow whoever to make a game with the name on it. That way they can just keep doing it as often as they please, and some of them have to end up being hits

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

They like to retain very strict control of their IP, and larger studios will want more freedom. Creative Assembly is probably the largest studio working with one of the IPs and they are indeed given so much flexibility that they've designed the units and some lords of Warhammer fantasy factions themselves which are now official part of Warhammer canon

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Omi no Kami posted:

Is Cities: Skylines still the go-to if I'm looking for a simcity-esque building game? A quick look shows that apparently it got enmeshed in some weird privacy/publisher account nonsense that people are still miffed about?

I think it is still the go-to, and you can have a lot of fun with it. I'm not aware of any account controversy, but it is published by Paradox so there's lots of DLC and some desirable things are in those. Also there are a ton of mods out there, some of which might need specific DLC to run. On the plus side, they go on sale quite often.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Popete posted:

Games Workshop used to not do that then they decided to do that for some reason. I guess the theory is that the bad games will just be forgotten and the good ones will be the ones people remember. Honestly it seems like it’s been for the best because so far I’m falling squarely into the theory.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

- Dungeon Siege 1 and 2 are on sale at Fanatical for a dollar apiece!

- holy poo poo there's a mod that combines them into Dungeon Siege 2's engine complete with all the expansion packs and bonus stuff

https://www.moddb.com/mods/dungeon-siege-legendary-pack

It requires both games to work, and I'm probably going to play DS1 in its original engine because I have extreme nostalgia for it over 2, but I got it up and running and woah, woah woah woah. I love finding these old games with mega mods or source ports that just work and have infinite content if you really want to dig in. I'm also thrilled because DS1's expansion packs aren't available on Steam or GOG and yet here they are, ready to go.

Bonus:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1148174213

"Installing this will not only give you access to Legends of Aranna and multiplayer but also to some cut content like the “Return to Arhok” and “Yesterhaven” campaigns, it will also update your game to the lastest version and run with some few custom compability patches to fix some bugs such as sound/graphic/mouse input lags.
"

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’m oddly happy to hear that the Dark Alliance game is gonna be garbage because that means I’ll probably love it. It’s weird, I like a lot of games most people don’t and there’s plenty that most people do that just do nothin’ for me/i like but I don’t like nearly as much.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I think we all have terminal hipster brain at this point, about something or other.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

terminal hipster brain is noble and good actually

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Kibayasu posted:

Games Workshop used to not do that then they decided to do that for some reason. I guess the theory is that the bad games will just be forgotten and the good ones will be the ones people remember. Honestly it seems like it’s been for the best because so far I’m falling squarely into the theory.

better than the current state of star wars where everything is boring as hell because of ea's stranglehold

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

dmboogie posted:

star wars [...] is [...] boring as hell

this.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

fair but there are still degrees yknow

wheres my eurojank star wars rpg

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

StrixNebulosa posted:

- Dungeon Siege 1 and 2 are on sale at Fanatical for a dollar apiece!

- holy poo poo there's a mod that combines them into Dungeon Siege 2's engine complete with all the expansion packs and bonus stuff

https://www.moddb.com/mods/dungeon-siege-legendary-pack

It requires both games to work, and I'm probably going to play DS1 in its original engine because I have extreme nostalgia for it over 2, but I got it up and running and woah, woah woah woah. I love finding these old games with mega mods or source ports that just work and have infinite content if you really want to dig in. I'm also thrilled because DS1's expansion packs aren't available on Steam or GOG and yet here they are, ready to go.

Bonus:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1148174213

"Installing this will not only give you access to Legends of Aranna and multiplayer but also to some cut content like the “Return to Arhok” and “Yesterhaven” campaigns, it will also update your game to the lastest version and run with some few custom compability patches to fix some bugs such as sound/graphic/mouse input lags.
"

I still consider DS 1 as one of the best games ever made.
2 was decent enough, but 1 hit all the right marks for me.

DS 3 on the other hand was an abomination.
gently caress you Obsidian Ent, for that pile of trash.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Boy Project Haven is...not good!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

OgNar posted:

I still consider DS 1 as one of the best games ever made.
2 was decent enough, but 1 hit all the right marks for me.

DS 3 on the other hand was an abomination.
gently caress you Obsidian Ent, for that pile of trash.

Jeyne Kassynder

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Dungeon Siege 3 was fine except for not being Dungeon Siege 1 and 2

Jeyne Kassynder joke.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I don't know why Powerwash Simulator exists, but I'm real glad it does

https://i.imgur.com/9qsK28w.mp4

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
can we get a new thread title yet

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’ve made it to what I’m assuming is the last boss in Hades and I still haven’t figured out what to do with Titan blood. Google tells me it unlocks weapon aspects but I don’t know what those are either.

I’ve done almost everything except unlock the last weapon, do I get something fundamental I should have gotten forever ago when I unlock all of them?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Rolo posted:

I’ve made it to what I’m assuming is the last boss in Hades and I still haven’t figured out what to do with Titan blood. Google tells me it unlocks weapon aspects but I don’t know what those are either.

I’ve done almost everything except unlock the last weapon, do I get something fundamental I should have gotten forever ago when I unlock all of them?

yeah you gotta unlock that weapon and then a conversation will eventually trigger to unlock weapon aspects

i wouldn't really call it 'fundamental,' it opens up some new weapon customization options but because of the titan blood costs you won't really be able to afford them until you're reliably winning runs anyway

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

buglord posted:

Steam Thread: New title once EGS exclusivity period expires

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

buglord posted:

Well, what should it be?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Steam Thread: I don't know why Powerwash Simulator exists, but I'm real glad it does

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Upon reading comparisons to Hollow Knight, SotN and Blasphemous in the reviews, I picked up Ender Lilies.

It's good.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

New update for State of Decay 2 looks pretty incredible. Upgradeable outposts and SIDEARMS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SILCNj4Aafg

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Saoshyant posted:

Steam Thread: I don't know why Powerwash Simulator exists, but I'm real glad it does

:hmmyes: i'll allow it

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Saoshyant posted:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Saoshyant posted:

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Albinator posted:

I think it is still the go-to, and you can have a lot of fun with it. I'm not aware of any account controversy, but it is published by Paradox so there's lots of DLC and some desirable things are in those. Also there are a ton of mods out there, some of which might need specific DLC to run. On the plus side, they go on sale quite often.

Cool, thanks!

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Saoshyant posted:

https://twitter.com/DanRyckert/status/1398432132297547780?s=19

Orv
May 4, 2011
Pressure washers are not for human use, Dan.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
I was wondering what the game Simulator Simulator would be like, then thought "Let's Inception this poo poo".
Hear me out: Simulator Simulator Simulator.

It's a simulation game of you playing a simulation game about simulation games.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kragger99 posted:

I was wondering what the game Simulator Simulator would be like, then thought "Let's Inception this poo poo".
Hear me out: Simulator Simulator Simulator.

It's a simulation game of you playing a simulation game about simulation games.

Isn't that just Sims

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Orv posted:

Isn't that just Sims

:stare:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
A D&D:DA review that I read earlier

quote:

I try to find some positive in every game, even the ones I don’t like, because for someone that one positive might be enough to make them love a game.

But I’ll tell you now: I could find nothing to praise in this game. Perhaps if I played more I might have found some, but my experience of the early game was so frustrating and so bereft of any redeeming qualities that I just couldn’t bring myself to continue.

quote:

Honestly, if you’re looking for a cooperative action game set in the Forgotten Realms, I would say just play Neverwinter.

goddamn

also lmao at not having a caster

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Orv posted:

Pressure washers are not for human use, Dan.

Dan dragging in a Karcher to the shower. "drat, this thing really takes off that top layer of skin. I feel so refreshed. This makes me feel so good, I'm gonna whip up a batch of my famous egg-whites after this."

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

explosivo posted:

New update for State of Decay 2 looks pretty incredible. Upgradeable outposts and SIDEARMS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SILCNj4Aafg

Not just sidearms, you can switch between any two guns. The example in the video was an LMG for a plague heart and a shotgun for when you get jumped by a feral.

I saw the stream when they were first talking about plague hearts, maybe a month or so back, and I think this will be a good reason to start another new game. Undead Labs have been doing a good job keeping SoD 2 shambling along (pun partially intended :) ). There have been some pretty major gameplay additions/changes in the last few big patches.

I can't wait for 3, but I'm certainly not complaining about 2 still getting new stuff.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Dan dragging in a Karcher to the shower. "drat, this thing really takes off that top layer of skin. I feel so refreshed. This makes me feel so good, I'm gonna whip up a batch of my famous egg-whites after this."

i mean, he did have that phase where he tried waking himself up in the morning with a stun gun

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
How is Cross Code? I got it through a bundle and while I hear mostly good things I hear that the puzzle centric dungeons kind of bring it down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Unlucky7 posted:

How is Cross Code? I got it through a bundle and while I hear mostly good things I hear that the puzzle centric dungeons kind of bring it down

It's a very good game, but if you don't puzzles you will bounce off the dungeons hard. Unlike most RPGs or actiony adventurey games where the puzzles in dungeons are cursory speed bumps, CrossCode actually requires you to think about them.

If you like puzzles and fast paced combat emotional trauma then I 100% recommend it.