Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Motronic posted:

Natural gas is less energy dense per volume, so if you need to store something in a tank propane is the way to go. This is also the same reason why the stove needs to have a regulator that runs at a different pressure and jets that are smaller to work properly on propane.

More specifically, compress propane to ten atmospheres or so, at room temperature, and it turns into a liquid. A modest steel vessel can hold this without issue, and it can do so for decades. As a liquid, a gallon of propane has an energy density a little less than that of a gallon of gasoline.

Natural gas is mostly methane. You can compress it, and some municipal buses are powered by compressed natural gas, but it takes a big tank to hold a little energy.

This car could go fifty kilometres (thirty miles) on the gas bag. Compress it to ten atmospheres, and you get ten times as much gas into the same space (minus tank structure). Propane’s liquefaction, in contrast, allows you to hold almost three hundred times as much fuel in the same space.

So why not liquify methane? At room temperature, it’s only a liquid under hundreds of atmospheres. Now that’s a prohibitive pressure. It’s more practical to instead chill it to negative one hundred and sixty celsius, or negative two hundred and sixty Fahrenheit, at which point it will turn into a liquid at a pressure of one atmosphere. This is a serious industrial operation. It’s done to move fuel between continents and to fuel rockets. It is not practical to have a cryochiller at every farmhouse.

tl;dr: Natural gas cheap, has to be piped. Propane less cheap, suitable for tanking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Tiggum posted:

Two questions about phones (Android).

1: When I get a second call from the same number in a single day, the call log only shows the later one. Is there a way to make it show both?

2: Is there an call recording app that actually works? I tried the two top rated ones I could find on the app store and neither one works - and it's not just me, there are reviews from other people there saying it either doesn't work or used to work but stopped.

Usually it shows a number in brackets for how many times that person called so you can expand and see the time of the calls. At least on my Huawei phone it's done that.

As for point two be very careful about the legality of this before you try as recording a phone call can be insanely illegal if not done correctly.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Inceltown posted:

Usually it shows a number in brackets for how many times that person called so you can expand and see the time of the calls. At least on my Huawei phone it's done that.
Oh, I see I can click through to a separate screen that shows me only calls to and from that number. Not the most convenient, but I guess it works. It doesn't do the thing of showing the number of calls in brackets like yours does either. :-/

Inceltown posted:

As for point two be very careful about the legality of this before you try as recording a phone call can be insanely illegal if not done correctly.
I've checked. It's legal here as long as I don't share the recording with anyone. I just want to be able to play back my own calls to check details when people insist on giving information over the phone (instead of by email like a sane person).

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Tiggum posted:

Oh, I see I can click through to a separate screen that shows me only calls to and from that number. Not the most convenient, but I guess it works. It doesn't do the thing of showing the number of calls in brackets like yours does either. :-/

I've checked. It's legal here as long as I don't share the recording with anyone. I just want to be able to play back my own calls to check details when people insist on giving information over the phone (instead of by email like a sane person).

The second part here is absolutely not the interpretation of the act that I've read.

https://www.armstronglegal.com.au/criminal-law/vic/offences/legal-record-phone-calls/

quote:

Section 7(1) states a person must not use a listening device to:

- overhear, record, monitor or listen to a private conversation to which the person is not a party; or
- record a private conversation to which the person is a party.

Under the Act a phone is a listening device, only hearing aids don't count.

I'm not here to tell you what you can and can't do, as long as you understand that the law calls for up to a 2 year jail sentence for offenders.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Memento posted:

The second part here is absolutely not the interpretation of the act that I've read.

Just below that it says

quote:

Section 7(3) states further exemptions, including when ... the recording is not made to communicate or publish it to anyone who is not a party to the conversation.
, which seems like what I said? Anyway, I haven't even been able to figure out a way to do it so it's a bit irrelevant at this stage.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

That exemption does seem to fit your use case. It's probably worth checking with someone a bit more in the know as common sense readings of law are not always the way to go.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Depending on how you store the recording you could get into trouble - sharing it with someone else could include putting it in a cloud hosting service. (Extrapolating from data protection principles here in EU.)

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

How does dairy farming work? Like why do cows produce more milk than their calves need? Millennia if selective breeding?
Alternatively they are producing the amount their calves need but we get the milk because the calves get taken away, what do the calves get fed? And really more specifically what was the answer to all these questions c. 1850 or somethin? I assume now there’s like artificial calf formula or something nowadays.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

How does dairy farming work? Like why do cows produce more milk than their calves need? Millennia if selective breeding?
Alternatively they are producing the amount their calves need but we get the milk because the calves get taken away, what do the calves get fed? And really more specifically what was the answer to all these questions c. 1850 or somethin? I assume now there’s like artificial calf formula or something nowadays.

Have you heard of 'veal' before? Because that answers a lot of your questions about what the calf gets fed.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Inceltown posted:

Have you heard of 'veal' before? Because that answers a lot of your questions about what the calf gets fed.

Yeah but veal calves are still several? months old. Do they get fed real milk all that time? I also thought it was only male calves that became veal and female calves got kept to make more milkcows since one bull can service a whole lot of cows. Does something awful dot com actually not have a dedicated animal husbandry megathread????

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

It's both. Cows have been bred to produce way more milk than the calf needs. Basically farmers will inseminate a heifer to get it pregnant and it can start producing milk. It's allowed to feed the calf until a certain point, after which the farm just continues to milk the cow to keep milk production going.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
Milk production is stimulated by the hormone prolactin. It's generally associated with childbirth, but can be stimulated through other means, like suckling. Prolactin will.be raised after birth, but can be maintained by continuous suckling, which will lead to continuous milk production (and what milking machines or people's hands simulate).Fun fact, all humans are capable of producing breast milk through raising prolactin levels, especially men.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

What's the point in NFTs, using a blockchain, when public/private key cryptography exists?

If you want to produce a digital token that identifies someone as the owner of a thing that you sold them, couldn't you just write "I, Artist McBusinessman have sold this lovely Photoshop of an apple to ArtFan362, it belongs to them" in a text file, encrypt it with your private key, and send it to them? Then anyone who wants to verify that it's an authentic McBusinessman or that ArtFan362 bought it only needs to decrypt the receipt with your public key.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Hyperlynx posted:

What's the point in NFTs, using a blockchain, when public/private key cryptography exists?

Don't think too hard about it

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Hyperlynx posted:

If you want to produce a digital token that identifies someone as the owner of a thing that you sold them, couldn't you just write "I, Artist McBusinessman have sold this lovely Photoshop of an apple to ArtFan362, it belongs to them" in a text file, encrypt it with your private key, and send it to them? Then anyone who wants to verify that it's an authentic McBusinessman or that ArtFan362 bought it only needs to decrypt the receipt with your public key.

Yes, you could

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Money laundering is always a safe bet when it comes to weird financial "investments"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Hyperlynx posted:

What's the point in NFTs
There is no point. It's a scam.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Is it currently feasible for a windows / nvidia gaming pc to run a vm, with the host and vm playing different 'AAA' games, say 30fps low settings? I gather they don't work with graphics cards so well but a lot of google searches come up with 10+ year old results.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Hyperlynx posted:

if you use fancy words like blockchain it makes it seem more important so you can milk the bitcoin whales

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Chubby Henparty posted:

Is it currently feasible for a windows / nvidia gaming pc to run a vm, with the host and vm playing different 'AAA' games, say 30fps low settings? I gather they don't work with graphics cards so well but a lot of google searches come up with 10+ year old results.

I looked into this awhile ago and the way to go is to run the other system and have the other user VNC into it with a laptop or something. You can use Parsec on the host if needed. If the remote machine is connected to the host via Ethernet, the connection should be very smooth.

As for graphics, the free VM programs don’t do GPU passthrough afaik, except ESXi. So you can set up ESXi and run two windows vms, one for you and one for the remote user, or give paid VMWare Workstation a go.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Chubby Henparty posted:

Not unless you buy a very expensive datacenter gpu are you splitting a gpu between host and vm at the same time

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

I was curious about the pronunciation of ‘Juan’, and other Spanish words starting with a J.
I know the way it is pronounced in Spain, and that white people in the US have trouble making that sound so they say ‘Huan’.

What I couldn’t find out was how Mexicans or other American people who have Spanish as their first language pronounce ‘Juan’.
Do you use the Spanish pronunciation when you’re speaking Spanish but switch to introducing yourself as ‘Huan’ when talking to the HOA? Or is it always just Huan?

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

tuyop posted:

As for graphics, the free VM programs don’t do GPU passthrough afaik, except ESXi. So you can set up ESXi and run two windows vms, one for you and one for the remote user, or give paid VMWare Workstation a go.

Methanar posted:

Not unless you buy a very expensive datacenter gpu are you splitting a gpu between host and vm at the same time

Aw shucks. Thanks for confirming!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Chubby Henparty posted:

Aw shucks. Thanks for confirming!

A way this might be viable is if you get a cpu with an integrated GPU. Say you have a 2080 and an AMD 3400g. You should be able to passthrough the iGPU to one VM and GPU to another VM.

Based on this:

Seems like it could meet your goal of 1080p/30+ gaming!

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Any recommendations on the nicest and least expensive way to create wall art?

I'm thinking of finding images and printing them out at like Costco, and Picture Hanging Strips?

Sounds like you're thinking about larger prints, but I've made several in the 8x10 range with a basic laser printer ( https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/canon-imageclass-lbp622cdw) and inexpensive frames.

Here's one I recently made for a friend- the colors look washed out due to the glare, but it's actually fairly vibrant, and if not in direct sunlight the prints don't seem to fade much.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

tuyop posted:

A way this might be viable is if you get a cpu with an integrated GPU. Say you have a 2080 and an AMD 3400g. You should be able to passthrough the iGPU to one VM and GPU to another VM.

Based on this:

Seems like it could meet your goal of 1080p/30+ gaming!
Is it possible to switch your CPU card for an MSI Laptop? Or just the GPU?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
There's a company that's convinced I owe them money. I am confident that they're billing me in error (it's a three-way thing where they were supposed to bill a different organization, but billed me instead), but both times I've called them, all I've gotten from their operators (after half an hour of dickering each time) has been "Well, I can leave a note on your file, but I don't actually have the power to cancel the bill" or something like that.

It's a trivial amount of money for me, but I don't want to pay it, just on principle. I also don't want to spend hours of my life arguing with phone support. Can y'all suggest other options that might be available to me?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

There's a company that's convinced I owe them money. I am confident that they're billing me in error (it's a three-way thing where they were supposed to bill a different organization, but billed me instead), but both times I've called them, all I've gotten from their operators (after half an hour of dickering each time) has been "Well, I can leave a note on your file, but I don't actually have the power to cancel the bill" or something like that.

It's a trivial amount of money for me, but I don't want to pay it, just on principle. I also don't want to spend hours of my life arguing with phone support. Can y'all suggest other options that might be available to me?

I'm not an expert but I've had luck at least getting a real response about things like this by sending certified mail saying that you believe the bill is in error and that they have 60 days to remove the bill, or produce documentation proving that the bill is correct, or they will be in violation of the FCRA and you will sue (can be an empty threat). Also mention that if they sell the debt they will also be in violation of the FCRA.

Certified mail makes a big difference, as does threatening to sue and name dropping relevant laws. It doesn't have to mean you'd actually sue.

There's a thread in BFC i think about dealing with debt collectors that talks about some of this stuff.

e: to be clear, this is US based advice, and certified mail is a service of the USPS that gives letters a proven date with legal weight. Costs a few bucks and is a great way to scare landlords or lovely companies into thinking you're a big shot.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Thanks! And yeah, I'm in the US, should've specified.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I had something similar happen, where a company was sending me gas bills even though gas is covered by body corporate fees (I don't know how that works, but that's the setup). Wouldn't take "no, you're mistaken" for an answer.

I let the building manager know, and it turned into a great big kerfuffle as lots of tenants had been paying these bills they shouldn't have been receiving. I think eventually the Ombudsman of something-or-other got involved to get them to knock it off.

This was in Australia, though. I don't know if you have Ombudsmen over there.

About the NFT thing: is there anything they purport to do that's beneficial, that plain ole digital signatures don't? Like, putting aside the ludicrous power consumption and all that, say hypothetically they worked great with no problems, are there any actual advantages? Is it just that it's decentralised?

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jun 23, 2021

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Hyperlynx posted:

About the NFT thing: is there anything they purport to do that's beneficial, that plain ole digital signatures don't? Like, putting aside the ludicrous power consumption and all that, say hypothetically they worked great with no problems, are there any actual advantages?

No. They are exactly as stupid and pointless as they look.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Grouchio posted:

Is it possible to switch your CPU card for an MSI Laptop? Or just the GPU?

Oh this is for a laptop? I think you’re out of luck there.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
Could getting a tattoo (on my chest or shoulder) complicate working for the Peace Corps?

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

dog nougat posted:

It's both. Cows have been bred to produce way more milk than the calf needs. Basically farmers will inseminate a heifer to get it pregnant and it can start producing milk. It's allowed to feed the calf until a certain point, after which the farm just continues to milk the cow to keep milk production going.

At all the commercial diaries I’ve seen, calves are taken away from mom at birth and chained up to huts all alone and bottle fed twice a day. loving brutal.

Buy milk from a calf at foot dairy or switch to non-cow milk!

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Khizan posted:

No. They are exactly as stupid and pointless as they look.

Haha, drat. What a waste of time and energy!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Hyperlynx posted:

Haha, drat. What a waste of time and energy!

Welcome to The Internet

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Joburg posted:

Buy milk from a calf at foot dairy or switch to non-cow milk!

Do you have a recommendation for a non-dairy "milk" source? I go through a fair amount of milk, so I'd prefer something that wasn't horribly expensive. I feel like a lot of milk alternatives are marketed as premium lifestyle foods moreso than "here's a practical staple food at a reasonable price".

Or maybe I'm expecting plant-based alternatives to be cheaper to produce than they actually are :shrug:

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I like most of them but oatmilk is maybe my favorite. Tastes like milk with oat.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Oat milk is good but the only real solution is to just learn to do without because gently caress $10 a litre or whatever it costs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

tuyop posted:

Oat milk is good but the only real solution is to just learn to do without because gently caress $10 a litre or whatever it costs

It's $2 a litre here which is double the price of the store brand milk but not exactly expensive.