Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

maltesh posted:

Having set myself the Sisyphean task of burning through the entire Arrowverse, a question comes to my mind.

When did the Flash's costume start being considered protective gear against the effects of superspeed instead of just a costume?

Is it something that originated in the television shows, and has it been the case in the comics?

In the comics, it's the Speed Force which prevents speedsters from catching fire, die and/or sonic-booming their surroundings any time they run faster than sound. I think Flash's costume (pre nu 52 armored costumes) only special thing was that it fit on his ring (also due to the Speed Force if I'm remembering correctly).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Vincent posted:

In the comics, it's the Speed Force which prevents speedsters from catching fire, die and/or sonic-booming their surroundings any time they run faster than sound. I think Flash's costume (pre nu 52 armored costumes) only special thing was that it fit on his ring (also due to the Speed Force if I'm remembering correctly).

Originally the Flash had an aura that protected him from the effects of his speed. The costume fit in the ring because it was chemically treated so that it would expand on contact with the air and when it came time to put it back in the ring he could use super speed to push the air out of it.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I remember as a kid there were Flash covers that made the costume look like a hideous monster popping out of his hand that scared the crap out of me.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Well, DC comics certainly answered THAT question yesterday.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

In the Morrison run on the Flash (around the same time Morrison was writing Justice League) didn't the Flash also get a costume made of pure speed force?
I also remember in Geoff John's run after being stabbed in the chest by a villain the Flashes costume would emerge from lightning bolt shaped scars on his chest.

So my question is inspired by this post on the funny panels thread.

Darthemed posted:

Spawn #9 (1993)

Basically reading this I half remember that the numbers in the middle of the page is supposed to represent Spawn's life force. And when it ran out he was supposed to go to Hell and lead it's armies for Malebogla.

And the more power he used the faster it would run out.

My question is this. Did they ever define how much time he had. (Is that 8 supposed to be Years, Months or Weeks?)
Did he ever run out?
If so did he get a top up or did they mulligan it?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I remember in Spawn 50 he used the last remaining bit of his powers to save his his friend's life from cancer. In theory from what I have heard that was supposed to redeem him and send him to heaven because he used his powers for good. Instead he went straight to hell and I stopped caring.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

To answer the question: my understanding is it was like a fuel tank, basically. Not measured in time or anything. So if he just stopped using his powers, he'd be effectively immortal. Sending demons and such after him was to get him to use it so he'd end up back in Hell.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Question IRL posted:

In the Morrison run on the Flash (around the same time Morrison was writing Justice League) didn't the Flash also get a costume made of pure speed force?
I also remember in Geoff John's run after being stabbed in the chest by a villain the Flashes costume would emerge from lightning bolt shaped scars on his chest.

So my question is inspired by this post on the funny panels thread.

Basically reading this I half remember that the numbers in the middle of the page is supposed to represent Spawn's life force. And when it ran out he was supposed to go to Hell and lead it's armies for Malebogla.

And the more power he used the faster it would run out.

My question is this. Did they ever define how much time he had. (Is that 8 supposed to be Years, Months or Weeks?)
Did he ever run out?
If so did he get a top up or did they mulligan it?

I think each number was supposed to be a different energy level for a certain power. The 0 was teleportation, for example, which he used up entirely tearing some guy open from the inside. Presumably materializing hobo wine is another power and one of those numbers is lower than it is the previous instance of those numbers.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Is there a collection of Jack Cole's Plastic Man? One that's, hopefully, still in print and that doesn't cost hundreds of dollars for a single volume.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Vincent posted:

Is there a collection of Jack Cole's Plastic Man? One that's, hopefully, still in print and that doesn't cost hundreds of dollars for a single volume.

The only thing I know of are the releases in the Archives line. Fortunately, they're not crazy expensive on the aftermarket, checking I saw volumes under the original MSRP, but you're still looking at $30 or so for 200 pages.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
It looks like they're slowly rolling out digital editions of single issues of Cole's Plastic Man, but the only print versions are all pretty far out of print.

The good news is that the Plastic Man Archives all seem pretty affordable on the secondary market, as does this Spiegelman/Kidd collection of reprints/essays.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Speaking of Spawn… is the comic any good these days? Every three years or so, I get a jonesing to read some Spawn, add it to my pull list, and it’s just an incomprehensible mess.

Edit: none you stopped me so I went out and bought the latest storyline and it was fun :shrug:

omnibobb fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jun 21, 2021

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I just read Planet Sized X-Men and it made me think of Hickman's Avengers run, my question in the spoilers for his Avengers and the main theme of Planet Sized X-Men.

Wasn't there a big ado with super beings being on Mars in Avengers? I remember them setting up some sort of society there. Seems like the whole X-Men thing would have broken something, which means either that was retconned or has become ignored. Anyway, what happened to all that?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Uthor posted:

I just read Planet Sized X-Men and it made me think of Hickman's Avengers run, my question in the spoilers for his Avengers and the main theme of Planet Sized X-Men.

Wasn't there a big ado with super beings being on Mars in Avengers? I remember them setting up some sort of society there. Seems like the whole X-Men thing would have broken something, which means either that was retconned or has become ignored. Anyway, what happened to all that?

The end of secret wars undoes everything that happened in Hickman's Avengers run (except for the things it didn't).

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Probably should have guessed.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The Mars garden was abandoned as the plot was unfolding in Hickman’s Avengers. I’m not at home at the moment, but I think when mutants were first planting the seeds in HoX/PoX there was vegetation in the Mars panel. I’ll check when I get home.

You can tell Hickman had a big hand in Planet Size. You can also tell the X books are written by a group that get along, and probably share silly memes in the X group chat.

Was really expecting a caption reading “This is a mutant world. The first of many.”

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Open Marriage Night posted:

The Mars garden was abandoned as the plot was unfolding in Hickman’s Avengers. I’m not at home at the moment, but I think when mutants were first planting the seeds in HoX/PoX there was vegetation in the Mars panel. I’ll check when I get home.

Yeah

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
If the last time i read avengers was around the end of dark reign (i also read a run where the hood gets the infinity stones? But thats it), what runs should i read to catch up and not have to slog through boring poo poo?

Also what is up with Scarlett witch right now and why hasnt krakoa found her or interacted with her in any way yet

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Hickman’s run on Avengers/New Avengers is the big one, especially if you’re going from a current X-Men context.

And Scarlet Witch? HoX/PoX makes it clear why they want nothing to do with Scarlet Witch.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ilikedirt posted:

Also what is up with Scarlett witch right now and why hasnt krakoa found her or interacted with her in any way yet

Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch were retconned to no longer being mutants nor Magneto's kids, that combined with the "no more mutants" thing makes them her very unpopular among the mutants.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Skwirl posted:

Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch were retconned to no longer being mutants nor Magneto's kids, that combined with the "no more mutants" thing makes them her very unpopular among the mutants.

Yet her son is still welcomed

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
His husband is the king of space. It would be gauche not to invite them.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

bobkatt013 posted:

Yet her son is still welcomed

I think he was Prodigy's guest, which is a little different. Northstar's husband and Jubilee's kid, both humans, live there after all.

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

So what do the X-Men do when a Mutant doesn't want to live in their new nation?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I Love Loosies posted:

Let them, at least as far as the dozens of mutants shown not joining Krakoa suggests.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

I Love Loosies posted:

Basically act like disappointed evangelists.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Skwirl posted:

I know it's been talked about before, but can I bring up how doubly stupid this retcon was?

Like it doesn't make sense in or out of context.

In Context it doesn't make sense because the way it is revealed is during Axis, Scarlet Witch while being super evil decides she will cast a super evil spell against an Inverted (I think) Magneto who is sort of good* and a not inverted so still good Quicksilver. The spell is supposed to wipe out Magneto's bloodline. I guess it's supposed to be the ultimate "gently caress you Dad!" spell because it wouldn't kill Magneto himself. Anyway it hurts Quicksilver, but nothing else.
So Wanda deduces that since she or Quicksilver aren't dead, that must mean they were never Magneto's kids. She flies away.
Even ignoring the logic behind using a spell that from your thinking is supposed to kill yourself and your brother and when it fails decide that you got the targeting parameters wrong instead of concluding it was a bad spell. It also (as far as I can remember) didn't kill Magneto's other child, Polaris. And Marvel still say she is Magneto's daughter.

Out of Context the retcon is really dumb, because what was the point? Marvel wanted to decouple Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver from the Mutant franchises since Fox still owned them?
So Axis happened in 2014. But by that stage Quicksilver had shown up in X-Men Days of Future Past that same year, and Age of Ultron came out the next year.
So already the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver's dubious legal status was put out there.
The X-Men franchise got sold back to Marvel around 2019 so there was a period of time when it technically made sense to do this, but nothing really came out of it as legal threats from what I can see.
Even if it was done from the point of view of giving the Twins new parents, that never happened either.
It was teased that the High Evolutionary was there real parents.
And at the end of that arc the resolution was "no he's not your parents. No one knows who they are."
Only in a shock Twist, the Vision knew who their real parents were. But it was something so shocking he vowed never to tell anyone.
And then Vision got blown up again and probably forgot who Wanda's real dad was. So unless he wrote it down somewhere, we might be waiting a while to find it out.

At this stage I think the best story would just be "Quicksilver and Wanda are Magneto's kids. But they have a really complicated and messy relationship. And mutant society just wants to shun her because of what she had done." Instead of "you were never really a mutant at all, that's why we are kicking you out." thing.

* = So the Inverted made someone the opposite of their personality. Luke Cage went from principled to a massive sellout. Falcon went from tolerant to a fascist. The Red Skull went from a psychopath to deeply remorseful. I can't remember what it was supposed to do to Magneto who was always portrayed as not super good but never really supposed to be full on evil. What happens to you if you are supposed to be middle of the road?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

The Question IRL posted:

It was teased that the High Evolutionary was there real parents.
And at the end of that arc the resolution was "no he's not your parents. No one knows who they are."
Only in a shock Twist, the Vision knew who their real parents were. But it was something so shocking he vowed never to tell anyone.

I think stuff like this is always stupid because unless it's something like the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver of the 1610 universe are their parents then whoever you pick isn't going to be that shocking really. Plus it's a lovely reason to keep it from them.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

the first time I read through silver age Avengers I was surprised at how long it was before Magneto was established as the Maximoff twins' father, probably because abything X-Men centric was way more prominent when I was a kid in the 90s, which made me think that was always sort of the case. they had two totally different dads before that retcon, plus there aren't many names as cool as 'Django Maximoff'

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Yes, while the closest equivalent in real life is... fraught, the idea seems to be "All mutants are welcome in Krakoa and we love them all (barring special circumstances)" and that a mutant in, say, Laos could just bounce for Krakoa and be welcomed. But is not required, although I would think that if Krakoa does endure for a long while there would eventually be pressure from the non-mutant world towards mutant citizens to pick a side, but so it goes.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Nessus posted:

. But is not required, although I would think that if Krakoa does endure for a long while there would eventually be pressure from the non-mutant world towards mutant citizens to pick a side, but so it goes.

There's some of that with Pete Wisdom in Excalibur until the humans killed him

radlum
May 13, 2013
I've seen that there's a Captain Britain Omnibus to be published later this year, so can someone explain what's the deal with Marvel UK, Captain Britain and Alan Moore?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

radlum posted:

I've seen that there's a Captain Britain Omnibus to be published later this year, so can someone explain what's the deal with Marvel UK, Captain Britain and Alan Moore?

Alan Moore wrote Captain Britain comics for Marvel UK. These were back ups of American reprints. They didn't just print Amazing Spider-Man in the UK, they'd put it with 2 or 3 other comics and some original stuff and sell that.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Alan Davis heavily retooled Captain Britain with a couple different writers before Moore came in. Changed the costume, I think provided the origin, and added the multiversal nature of the Captain Britain Corps (it's where the Earth 616 designation comes from). Moore wasn't on the character for too long and eventually dipped because the Marvel UK office was stiffing him, and he took over writing the strip like halfway into a story. I think it got collected during one of the periods where Moore refused to let Marvel use his name so they were reprinted as by The Original Writer, same as Miracleman

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nah they made some promise about the collected CB, hosed it up and he told them to gently caress off with MM.

Which still isn't sorted out. We're at like 8 years now?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Karma Tornado posted:

Alan Davis heavily retooled Captain Britain with a couple different writers before Moore came in. Changed the costume, I think provided the origin, and added the multiversal nature of the Captain Britain Corps (it's where the Earth 616 designation comes from). Moore wasn't on the character for too long and eventually dipped because the Marvel UK office was stiffing him, and he took over writing the strip like halfway into a story. I think it got collected during one of the periods where Moore refused to let Marvel use his name so they were reprinted as by The Original Writer, same as Miracleman

There's an earlier omnibus with Moore's name on them.

The thing is, this was work-for-hire stuff and long since published so if Marvel wanted to publish it with half the cover taken up with "ALAN MOORE!!" they could and Moore couldn't do a thing to stop them. But there's value in trying to maintain good relations with him even if the odds are that Moore won't even write "gently caress off" for them in the future. You never know what could happen; perhaps his beard oil bills become too vast and Moore decides to take a paycheck for writing Iron Man. So Marvel's willing to acquiesce to Moore's requests on reprints.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

People are conflating a lot of stuff that takes place over several decades but:

1972: Marvel UK is formed and starts reprinting Marvel books, but doesn't create any new material (other than some covers)
1976: Captain Britain #1 marks the start of original Marvel UK content, featuring a lead CB story by Chris Claremont and Herb Trimpe. The rest of the book is reprints of Fantastic Four and Nick Fury stories.
1977: The standalone Captain Britain book, not setting sales records on fire, gets folded into "Super Spider-Man and Captain Britain" with new CB stories by a variety of creators.
1978: Captain Britain is dropped from the aforementioned book, which reverts to just "Super Spider-Man". Chris Claremont brings Captain Britain in on Marvel Team-Up, officially establishing him as a "real" Marvel character for the 1970s.
1979: Marvel UK expands its original content with serials featuring new Hulk stories as well as The Black Knight and Nightraven. Captain Britain appears sporadically as a supporting character.
1981: "Marvel Superheroes" starts featuring a "Return of Captain Britain" serial, written by Dave Thorpe and drawn by Alan Davis. This is the debut of the familiar costume from Excalibur, and introduces a number of characters that are still around (Mad Jim Jaspers, Saturnyne, etc.)
1982: After less than a year, Alan Moore replaces Thorpe as the writer. This does, as people have mentioned, introduce the concept of the Captain Britain Corps, a formalized numbered multiverse, The Fury, etc. This run also features thinly disguised versions of other UK comics characters in the multiverse stuff, including almost completely undisguised versions of the Marvelman/Miracleman characters, which at the time was being edited by Dez Skinn (also Marvel UK's EiC) and written by Moore, under the assumption they were public domain, which, you know...
1984: Alan Moore stops writing for Marvel UK, mostly because he's getting so much work from DC/elsewhere.

The Mid 1980s: Alan Moore is a vocal critic of Marvel for a bunch of reasons, from their treatment of Jack Kirby to their willingness to put "Suggested for Mature Readers" on the covers of books. Unrelated to this, Chris Claremont and Alan Davis decide to fold all manner of characters and concepts from the formerly-technically-UK-only Captain Britain stories into the mainline Marvel Universe in Uncanny X-Men and Excalibur.

The 1990s: Marvel reprints all of the Moore/Davis Captain Britain stuff in an "X-Men Archives" mini-series. They credit Alan Moore for all of the stories he wrote, and there was not any controversy that I recall

Early 2000s: When Joe Quesada and Bill Jemas are in charge of Marvel, they make an attempt to mend fences with various creators who had beef with Marvel. Moore was receptive to the conversation, and agreed to give his blessing to a collected edition of the Captain Britain stories. He had some specific requests about how they phrase the credits in terms of who created what and if they satisfied his requests he said he'd be open to doing more work (he'd already contributed a piece to their 9/11 fundraiser comic). The first printing of the trade came out and did not feature his requested crediting, so he stopped taking Quesada's calls. I believe the second printing of the trades, as well as the 2009 Omnibus, had the "right" credits, and they definitely have Alan Moore's name on the cover. His name still appears in the digital versions of these books on Comixology as well.

The "Original Writer" thing is entirely separate (outside of general disdain for the WFH superhero comic book industry) to anything to do with Miracleman/Marvelman, doesn't seem to apply to anything other than Marvelman, and the odds of Alan Moore having anything to do with the weird delays/hiatus of the book seems incredibly low to me.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
All of Alan Moore’s miracle man has been reprinted so it’s something to do with gaimans or something else

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm not saying Moore had anything to do with the MM delays, just that it's been ages since Marvel made a big song and dance about buying MM and we've yet to see anything new and the rumor mill has been full of theories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Boy remember back when some people thought Marvel was gonna introduce MM to the main Marvel U with Age of Ultron (the comic event not the movie)? Back in *checks wiki* 2013?

Such wild times...