Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

tampering clauses are only as strong as the bank account of the company that wants to enforce them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the no compete clause is three months because that's the sweet spot of where it's not worth it to fight for nearly everyone. they would do a 12-month if they thought it wouldn't change anything very much

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Cavauro posted:

the no compete clause is three months because that's the sweet spot of where it's not worth it to fight for nearly everyone. they would do a 12-month if they thought it wouldn't change anything very much

In fact, isn't that exactly what they tried to do with Brock only to run into the problem that they'd paid him well enough that he was willing to fight it? And they probably would've lost if they hadn't settled.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i don't know. Think some people were talking about that

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
There was a time where WWE talent was free to work indies while collecting the 90 day severance, hence the story of Bryan Danielson shocking Vince McMahon in June 2010 by telling him that between his severance and being able to ask a pretty high rate for indie bookings, he was about to make a lot more money than he was making in WWE. I'd have to look back to refresh my memory and see if the Raven situation (forgoing the severance so he didn't have to wait) occurred under a different policy or was just a matter of him wanting to get on TNA's weekly PPVs to help hype his indie bookings. I'm not sure it's even been explained publicly if/when this formally changed?

With Brock, he agreed to a ridiculous 10 year global non-compete that included MMA. He forced a settlement by saying he wanted to come back...only for Vince/WWE to counter by offering much less than he was making when he left. This was a mistake, as it was much harder to argue the validity of the non-compete if WWE didn't see the same value in him anymore.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

davidbix posted:

This was a mistake, as it was much harder to argue the validity of the non-compete if WWE didn't see the same value in him anymore.

I'm imagining Vince's horrified lawyers desperately trying to explain this to him as he smugly insists he's gonna finally put that damned Lesnar in his place :smug:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh my God, Granny "What's this AEW? Are they competition for WWE?" :allears:

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Cavauro posted:

I mean for like 2/3rds of the roster they're basically already sitting at home on 2 to 5 year non-competes.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

not very many ppl are sitting at home unless they are injured. That would be cool. Get lots of stuff done and better yourself

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bryan Alvarez: Black..... women!?!

Something about his pause and the confusion in his voice there just cracked me up.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Reminds me of an all time favorite argument was TNA house show tournament.

Bryan thought it was dumb, and Dave went through in detail how it would work were Giant Baba booking it and how great it was.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

algebra testes posted:

Reminds me of an all time favorite argument was TNA house show tournament.

Bryan thought it was dumb, and Dave went through in detail how it would work were Giant Baba booking it and how great it was.

Holy poo poo that sounds loving incredible, any idea what (WOR) show it might have been? I would love to listen to that. :lol:

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Cavauro posted:

not very many ppl are sitting at home unless they are injured. That would be cool. Get lots of stuff done and better yourself

"That's what's going on in the ring right now? Your taxes?"

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Has there ever been a more depressing statement than "I gotta get outta here. I'm going to the beach. It's Father's Day. Well, I guess I have to be back for the WWE show."

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
All timer of an analogy from Dave today about PPV booking and square wheels.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Uno and Stu are were on Wednesday's Talk is Jericho and Jericho knowing basically nothing about their career makes it a great interview as they go into detail on a lot of stuff I'd only heard half the story on. Also more talk about the legendary AEW Street Hockey game.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HidaO-Win posted:

All timer of an analogy from Dave today about PPV booking and square wheels.

I loved that. Also loved the payoff to his super-important story about Scott Bakula being he's a good actor! :allears:

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

MassRafTer posted:

Uno and Stu are were on Wednesday's Talk is Jericho and Jericho knowing basically nothing about their career makes it a great interview as they go into detail on a lot of stuff I'd only heard half the story on. Also more talk about the legendary AEW Street Hockey game.

Evil Uno working for the department of immigration even more clearly explains why they couldn't be in the US. $100,000/year job would be lost to work an indie show.

I'm unsurprised that Jericho was such an rear end in a top hat about COVID restrictions.

Also, book Ibushi/Grayson rematch.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/HybridShoot/status/1405539598487343105

Some really interesting insights in how Tony books titles and AEW in general here.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

Jerusalem posted:

I loved that. Also loved the payoff to his super-important story about Scott Bakula being he's a good actor! :allears:

Top tier Dave “I’ve got a great story about Scott Bakula, Terry Funk said he was a great actor!”

What a guy.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
He is though!

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

The ultimate in Heymanology.
https://twitter.com/BTSheetsPod/status/1405857827084812289

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

He is though!

I think my favorite part is Dave wasn't going to tell that story unless he had confirmation that it was, indeed, Bakula.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MassRafTer posted:

Do they happen to talk why they got stopped being being booked in Chikara? They were there and they were over, but knowing about it now I figure Quackenbush stopped booking them so everybody could make fun of their gear or something.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Do they happen to talk why they got stopped being being booked in Chikara? They were there and they were over, but knowing about it now I figure Quackenbush stopped booking them so everybody could make fun of their gear or something.

They were getting over in PWG, they got flagged by immigration because they were working in the US without a visa. Getting a visa as a pro wrestler wasn't feasible. They were the first Canadians flagged, they joked they ruined it for everyone.

There was the fun story that Player Uno had trouble explaining to US immigration that they couldn't just put someone in a player Uno mask to work as him as the equivalent. (one of the rules is basically that you have to prove a US citizen couldn't do the work instead)

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jerusalem posted:

Holy poo poo that sounds loving incredible, any idea what (WOR) show it might have been? I would love to listen to that. :lol:
https://www.f4wonline.com/june-19-observer-radio-steve-sims-talks-cmll-and-aaa-big-shows-dave-and-bryan-talk-strikeforce

The last 15 minutes or so.

edit: yeah I died when I realized this was from a decade ago *withers into dust*

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Thanks! Will grab a download from the site and listen to it a little later :)

HPJoker
Oct 30, 2017
I’m dying at the Costco guy marking out for Dave Meltzer and nobody knowing who he is

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

HPJoker posted:

I’m dying at the Costco guy marking out for Dave Meltzer and nobody knowing who he is

That was so funny.

“He’s probably listening”

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Bryan owes me royalties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7mwbAHeKIM&t=305s

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Lol that's fantastic.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I just watched the Andre Doc. Is there a WOR that covers it in detail? My google fu is failing me.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

algebra testes posted:

https://www.f4wonline.com/june-19-observer-radio-steve-sims-talks-cmll-and-aaa-big-shows-dave-and-bryan-talk-strikeforce

The last 15 minutes or so.

edit: yeah I died when I realized this was from a decade ago *withers into dust*

"Dave.... it's 3:10am in Texas and you're dreaming of Giant Baba booking TNA...." :lol:

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

LET'S loving GO!
https://twitter.com/BTSheetsPod/status/1405857827084812289
https://twitter.com/BTSheetsPod/status/1406832175207571457

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
Two minutes in and Dave is already being bleak:

Bryan: “Well, I try and hold out hope”
Dave: “How can you have any hope?”

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bryan: I think Ariel is going to work for everybody but us?
Dave: Yeah he's not wor.... did you ask him?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

new monumental when

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

New Pisscast when

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

So I'm catching up on some AEW unrestricted, and you can never tell how much a wrestler is working the gimmick, but QT seems like a real abrasive guy, but nice in how much he seems to value hard work from others and worked out that AEW as a startup needed someone who just does useful stuff. He better be getting paid a shitload with how everyone says he does so much.

Allie was a good listen full of honesty and she came off like the nicest person. Great to hear her talking about her habits of managing her mental health as well. Going through her horror movie inspirations was neat, but lol at her referencing "Baby" from House of 1,000 corpses as inspiration, which made me see how blatantly Bray Wyatt ripped off that stuff after some wiki searching.

The firefly farmhouse, smh

Oh, and congrats to Bryan doing live research during the latest B&V about the Jade Cargill/Toronto Four Seasons corporate sponsorship.

Wazzu fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jun 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Wazzu posted:

So I'm catching up on some AEW unrestricted, and you can never tell how much a wrestler is working the gimmick, but QT seems like a real abrasive guy, but nice in how much he seems to value hard work from others and worked out that AEW as a startup needed someone who just does useful stuff. He better be getting paid a shitload with how everyone says he does so much.

Allie was a good listen full of honesty and she came off like the nicest person. Great to hear her talking about her habits of managing her mental health as well. Going through her horror movie inspirations was neat, but lol at her referencing "Baby" from House of 1,000 corpses as inspiration, which made me see how blatantly Bray Wyatt ripped off that stuff after some wiki searching.

The firefly farmhouse, smh

Oh, and congrats to Bryan doing live research during the latest B&V about the Jade Cargill/Toronto Four Seasons corporate sponsorship.

QT just bought a C8 Vette and he's not kidding when he says how much he's spent on improving the Nightmare Factory so he's making really good money. What's funny is he does more than he says in interviews.

You can really tell what a good work environment AEW is when QT feels free to say whatever he wants about Tony and his role with the company and everyone jokes around about the boss.