Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!
All of which doesn't even touch the fact that this Bronco Sport is really just an Ecosport wearing a bronco costume. Gonna be a whole lot of disappointment when people start taking delivery of these junkers and realize what a turd they've saddled themselves with. They are truly terrible car stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

coupedeville posted:

All of which doesn't even touch the fact that this Bronco Sport is really just an Ecosport wearing a bronco costume.

Um, no it's not. It's derived from the Escape platform, not the Ecosport.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
They have also been delivering them to customers since the end of last year and have gotten good reviews.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
People have been tuning them for pretty decent power gains too.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
... and you can get the Sport in a manual.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

No you can't, you're confusing it with the real Bronco.

edit: I double-checked this on Fords Build & Price, 8 speed auto only on either engine and every trim.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

Q_res posted:

Um, no it's not. It's derived from the Escape platform, not the Ecosport.

lmao source your quotes bud

Edit: the Bronco Sport is built on the Ford C2 platform which is actually a compact car platform that is also used for crossover SUVs like the Escape and Corsair. My point about it being an Ecosport wearing a bronco outfit still stands since most Bronco Sport models share the same engine and instrument cluster and other giblets with the Ecosport.

coupedeville fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 21, 2021

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

You point doesn't stand, it's the Escape platform and it uses the Escape engine lineup. Just admit you were talking out of your rear end. It'll be okay.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 21, 2021

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Wikipedia says the Ecosport is based on the B2E platform. Shared drivetrain components =/= same platform.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

Q_res posted:

You point doesn't stand, it's the Escape platform and it uses the Escape engine lineup. Just admit you were talking out of your rear end. It'll be okay.

I hope you didn't spend too much on your Bronco Sport lol

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Zero One posted:

They have also been delivering them to customers since the end of last year and have gotten good reviews.

That's good to hear. My wife has a 2011 Escape that we really like and the Bronco sport seems to have more in common with her generation Escape than the new Escapes do. Operable hatch, boxy design, and can handle a rough road. I had a 2015 escape that was miserable on a rough Colorado road, it may have just been a confidence thing but it was scraping and sliding a lot.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Memento posted:

Things are getting back to normal, people are getting vaccinated, car meets are happening again...

https://i.imgur.com/UlRj8ok.mp4

The world is truly healing.

there are nightly street races in portland now

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

DEAR RICHARD posted:

there are nightly street races in portland now

Truly, the future antifa fought for.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

coupedeville posted:

I hope you didn't spend too much on your Bronco Sport lol

edit: You know what, if you'd rather be a jackass than just admit you were wrong about something, have at it. I'm done.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jun 22, 2021

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Hi as someone who owns a 2020 Escape (which I actually unironically love), the Bronco Sport is far closer to it than the EcoSport which is visible by like a passing glance at the interior.

EcoSport:

Escape:

Bronco Sport:

I can smell the Escape platform on the Bronco Sport, it was immediately noticeable the first time I saw reviews on it after owning the Escape.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

Buff Hardback posted:

Hi as someone who owns a 2020 Escape (which I actually unironically love), the Bronco Sport is far closer to it than the EcoSport which is visible by like a passing glance at the interior.

EcoSport:

Escape:

Bronco Sport:

I can smell the Escape platform on the Bronco Sport, it was immediately noticeable the first time I saw reviews on it after owning the Escape.

Those three pictures look exactly the same.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Having been in both an Ecosport and a Bronco Sport I can say the Bronco Sport is much better.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
That's a pretty low bar though as the EcoSport is like a budget India-special model IIRC

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

mobby_6kl posted:

That's a pretty low bar though as the EcoSport is like a budget India-special model IIRC

You're absolutely right. We got a used one in my dealership and as I grabbed the vin to order a few service parts for it, I noticed that it started with MA. Confused the hell out of me til I looked it up. I'd never seen that before.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

coupedeville posted:

Those three pictures look exactly the same.

Glovebox latch, cupholder layout, steering wheel button configuration, transmission tunnel layout

they look nothing alike

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Buff Hardback posted:

EcoSport:

Escape:

Bronco Sport:

Even I can see the EcoSport's interior is physically more cramped than the Bronco Sport's. I'm betting the Escape and BS (lol, BS) have drat near similar interior dimensions, at the very least.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

:mrwhite:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Mmmmmmmmmm
Mint frosting

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

My milkshake brings all the techs to the car
And they're like, you hosed up your car
Oh poo poo, I hosed up my car
I should've Youtubed it or something first oh poo poo I am so hosed

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

This is a 17 minute vid out of a series on the malaise era. At least it answers the question on which gas engine was the worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNXF5VJUr8U

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

https://twitter.com/AntRDean/status/1408068764441071626?s=20

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Accidental gas pedal press?

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

From twitter, the person who found it at a thrift store said "I'm not sure if these men want to sell me a car or kill me and eat me." To which the answer is "yes," of course, considering 1950s capitalism. I assume it's the big bosses at GM in 1958, the CEO in the middle, and the top guy of each division beside his version of the car, Chevy on the left, Cadillac on the right, arranged by price.

The terrible is that despite the panels being the exact same stampings, just with a different level of trim to show how much better you are than the guy with the less-expensive brand, every one of those has a different V8 that is entirely incompatible with any of the others. And that continued until 1981, when they mostly went to SBCs for V8s, and Chevy-based engines for the 4- and 6-cylinder cars. Mostly.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 24, 2021

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

They got nothing on Roger Smith or Rick Wagoneer.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Ah yes GM having different engines for every division. Trying to find parts for my Poncho V8s is a loving nightmare. Do you have a 55 to 60 V8? gently caress you. Do you have a 61 to 64 V8? gently caress you. Do you have a 65 or newer V8? gently caress you pay me 4 times as much for the equivalent part on a SBC if it is even made. Then if you whisper about putting a LS in your Poncho the Furies come out of hiding to haunt you until you sell it for scrap because you can’t get any parts.

Yes my project is going well why do you ask?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Colostomy Bag posted:

They got nothing on Roger Smith or Rick Wagoneer.

That's Jeep Wagoneer to you

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Chillbro Baggins posted:

From twitter, the person who found it at a thrift store said "I'm not sure if these men want to sell me a car or kill me and eat me." To which the answer is "yes," of course, considering 1950s capitalism. I assume it's the big bosses at GM in 1958, the CEO in the middle, and the top guy of each division beside his version of the car, Chevy on the left, Cadillac on the right, arranged by price.

The terrible is that despite the panels being the exact same stampings, just with a different level of trim to show how much better you are than the guy with the less-expensive brand, every one of those has a different V8 that is entirely incompatible with any of the others. And that continued until 1981, when they mostly went to SBCs for V8s, and Chevy-based engines for the 4- and 6-cylinder cars. Mostly.

I actually doubt any of those panels are interchangeable, they just look like they should be. The fenders all have different detail on the sides and around the headlights, the hoods have different edge profiles, etc.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

BigPaddy posted:

Ah yes GM having different engines for every division. Trying to find parts for my Poncho V8s is a loving nightmare. Do you have a 55 to 60 V8? gently caress you. Do you have a 61 to 64 V8? gently caress you. Do you have a 65 or newer V8? gently caress you pay me 4 times as much for the equivalent part on a SBC if it is even made. Then if you whisper about putting a LS in your Poncho the Furies come out of hiding to haunt you until you sell it for scrap because you can’t get any parts.

Yes my project is going well why do you ask?

Hello, brother, I own a 1970 Oldsmobile with an Olds V8 which was arguable better than the SBC... Same story, particularly the pre-64 versions.

HawkHill
Aug 15, 2015

Chillbro Baggins posted:

From twitter...

Can somebody help me with this?

IIRC, the GM brands at that time were Chevy, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Buick, and Cadillac.

I can convince myself that going left to right, I see those brands spelled out in the lettering except for Pontiac.

What does the lettering say on the car beside the Chevy?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

HawkHill posted:

IIRC, the GM brands at that time were Chevy, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Buick, and Cadillac.

I can convince myself that going left to right, I see those brands spelled out in the lettering except for Pontiac.

They're all 1958 models.

Lower left is a Chevy. Clockwise next is a Pontiac (it says Bonneville across the front). Then Oldsmobile, Buick, and Cadillac in the lower right.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

HawkHill posted:

something something something REVILLE

it looks like there should be two letters in front of what we can see; the center crease of the hood has five letters to the right so there should be five letters to the left as well

edit: there you go, Bonneville. I was right about the number of letters but I don't know enough about American GM products from the time to help.

HawkHill
Aug 15, 2015

Memento posted:

something something something REVILLE

it looks like there should be two letters in front of what we can see; the center crease of the hood has five letters to the right so there should be five letters to the left as well

edit: there you go, Bonneville. I was right about the number of letters but I don't know enough about American GM products from the time to help.

I was going to guess Pontiac Bonneville but that letter that looks like an 'R' threw me off.

That, and the idea that I always thought that Pontiac was the GM make and Bonneville was the model. So it seemed weird to me to see four of GM's makes and one model. So I goes and looks it up, and what do you know?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponti...0option%20list.

quote:

Bonneville became a separate model in 1958,[4] available as a two-door hardtop or a convertible. It paced the Indianapolis 500 in its first year. As a separate model Bonneville had a significantly lower price tag of around $3,000 thanks to the demotion of most of the luxury items found on the 1957 Star Chief bodystyle from standard equipment to the option list.

So yeah, Bonneville was briefly a GM model. But why why no Pontiac in that pic?

I guess they wanted to highlight the Bonne even to the exclusion of the Pontiac?

Hmmm, looks like I've got the wording wrong?

Chevy, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Buick, and Cadillac are 'Divisions' and then Bonneville is a 'Model'?

Wow, wrong again. I just looked up Make versus Model and it says Make is like Ford, Toyota, Honda, etc and model is like Civic.

So Make is GM, Model is Chevy, Pontiac, etc

How long have I been getting that wrong???

But I just looked at this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_(automobile)

and it lists Pontiac Models like Pontiac Aztek, Pontiac Bonneville, Pontiac Catalina

My uncle had (what he called) a Pontiac Bonneville back in the 60's. That matches the wiki page but a bunch of other references don't agree.

I'm so confused.

What is the convention?

HawkHill fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jun 25, 2021

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Bonneville is a model and was for many, many years.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

HawkHill posted:

I was going to guess Pontiac Bonneville but that letter that looks like an 'R' threw me off.

That, and the idea that I always thought that Pontiac was the GM make and Bonneville was the model. So it seemed weird to me to see four of GM's models and one make. So I goes and looks it up, and what do you know?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponti...0option%20list.

So yeah, Bonneville was briefly a GM model. But why did why no Pontiac in that pic?

I guess they wanted to highlight the Bonne even to the exclusion of the Pontiac?

Hmmm, looks like I've got the wording wrong?

Chevy, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Buick, and Cadillac are 'Divisions' and then Bonneville is a 'Model'?

Pontiac was the division, Bonneville was the name of a model. It was unusual that they spelled out the model name on the front edge of the hood, rather than the brand.

The Wiki entry describes how the name Bonneville was first used on some show cars starting in 1954, but moved to an actual manufactured model in '58.

The Chevrolet is an Impala.
The Pontiac is a Bonneville.
The Oldsmobile is a 98.
The Buick is a Roadmaster.
The Cadillac looks like a Coupe de Ville.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

GM is the manufacturer
Pontiac is the brand (make)
Bonneville is the model